PDA

View Full Version : Changeling (oWoD) Lore Question

Dust
2010-08-07, 06:39 PM
I know this isn't the best forums for it, but you fine folk haven't failed to help me out in the past, so here we go.
I'm playing a Sidhe Duke, the highest 'title' ranking available to players in Changeling. The GM spoke to me beforehand and asked if it would be okay she designed an enemy to oppose my goals. I told her that would be awesome, and agreed wholeheartedly.

The game thus far has been aggravating. The plot is highly railroaded, and we're actually struggling to deviate from it now. Three game sessions in, we meet The Enemy™, who is essentially Emperor Palpatine. He's apparently another Duke, and has informed me that Random Changeling NPC #27 (in this case, a sixteen year-old Sidhe who has sought safe refuge with us) is his SLAVE.

Now obviously, we're SUPPOSED to tell the blatantly-evil BBEG to go sod himself and thus set into motion a dangerous rivalry that will ultimately jeopardize us all...but I'm really wondering why I shouldn't just turn the kid in. Hand him over and say 'Whoops, our mistake, here ya go.' and continue onwards. The kid's been a royal pain thus far, none of us have legacies that force us to protect him, and frankly, my personal goals (of rekindling a friendship between the Garou and the Fae) are lofty enough that getting into a shoving match with a political assassinate-you-in-your-sleep type is simply idiotic.

So what I'm asking in a terribly longwinded, roundabout way is this; When I do the unthinkable and attempt to leap off these railroad tracks, I need to have a good argument for why I'm doing so (to a GM who I'm sure will be quite annoyed.) Historically, in oWoD Changeling lore, are there any examples of changeling servants (or slaves)? I'd like to argue the BBEG isn't doing anything wrong by getting 'his property' returned.

Hopefully thanks in advance. I know this is an obscure one. :smalltongue:

Dragor
2010-08-07, 08:07 PM
I'm not familiar with oWoD, but your GM shouldn't throw his toys out of the pram if you do the sensible thing. This is the World of Darkness, and your character is in a position of power he won't want to jeopardise in favour of 'heroics' or 'doing the right thing'. Not to say that he has to be an evil jerk about it, but handing over the kid just makes sense.

Doesn't help if he's being annoying too.

Argument: "I don't want to risk my position of power by getting into a fight with the BBEG; this doesn't coincide with my characters personal goals. He might consider it if the Changeling had had any kind of friendship or bond with my character, but thus far he has done nothing which makes my character want to protect him from the BBEG."

comicshorse
2010-08-07, 08:27 PM
I seem to remember Changeling society is fairly feudal in attitude. In which case obviously you shouldn't cross a fellow noble over a mere peasant. In fact if slavery is acceptable in Changeling society then you absolutely should return the slave, it would simply be theft otherwise

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-07, 08:42 PM
I don't really know anything about oWoD changeling, but here's my 2cents;

I think you are pretty close to right with your plan to just return the slave, especially if you don't actually have any connection with them.

BUT just going from the dynamics of the situation, I'd be wary of just handing her over. It would be you backing down from the dominant newcomer. Sets dangerous precedents.

I'd suggest instead merely responding along the lines of - Oh, this is yours? I wasn't aware. I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement, I have no sentimental attachment after all.

Now, what do you plan to give me in exchange? (Fair is fair.)

It'd leave the result a little more open, as well as allowing the DM wiggle room enough to potentially salvage what he has prepared plotwise without necessitating your PC doing things he wouldn't ordinarily. Which is to say, if the DM wants the guy to hate you enough, he'll hate you with or without a reason, this way you have covered your bases but at least leave enough of a gap that he could legitimately take offence if the DM really needs him to, but you've still taken reasonable steps to negating the situation.

Just a thought, though.

Dust
2010-08-08, 01:01 AM
Nice to have some advice reaffirming my own opinion on the matter. Thanks, guys. =)