PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Discover This Forum?

Terry576
2010-08-08, 03:33 AM
It's a simple enough question, but the answers vary so much.

For instance, I came here in an amusing way.

You all know Lord Fullbladder, right?

Well, I used to play a game called "The Radio Game" with him, Flamemaster Alex, Darkcomet, KidKris, and quite a few others on the forums for a game called AdventureQuest. We played it for quite some time, then the moderators changed, and the game was kicked off the forum, over to our own forum.

...That didn't go so well. So Fullbladder started it again in SMBG, where it died.

again.

We all agree now that it needed to die, but it was my first introduction to Roleplaying, and whenever I think of Roleplaying...

I think of exploding castles, of Iggy the Brave, of taunting vampires, and most of all, of radios, clones, and Saving The World.

Enough reminiscence from this forumite, how did you discover GiantITP forums?

Adumbration
2010-08-08, 03:36 AM
An australian exchange student recommended me this comic. Read it, joined the forum, been here ever since.

Ichneumon
2010-08-08, 03:43 AM
One of my players in my D&D game used the quote "I think I failed a listen check", he showed me the comic and that's how I got hooked to these forums.

randman22222
2010-08-08, 03:48 AM
Ooooh, I think, if I recall correctly, that I was moving away from Singapore, and to have something to do, I looked up something along the lines of "DnD forum", to see if play by post existed. It did, but I was sidetracked by the comic. I read it instead. I still remember... It was on the comic where the monster in the dark created an earthquake.

Next, I found PbP, then I found SMBG. Then I found here. Then Curly wrote the first shipfic on these boards, then I found Arts and Crafts when shipping began. :smallsmile:

That was fun...

The Extinguisher
2010-08-08, 03:52 AM

Well, I used to play a game called "The Radio Game" with him, Flamemaster Alex, Darkcomet, KidKris, and quite a few others on the forums for a game called AdventureQuest. We played it for quite some time, then the moderators changed, and the game was kicked off the forum, over to our own forum.

...That didn't go so well. So Fullbladder started it again in SMBG, where it died.

again.

We all agree now that it needed to die, but it was my first introduction to Roleplaying, and whenever I think of Roleplaying...

I think of exploding castles, of Iggy the Brave, of taunting vampires, and most of all, of radios, clones, and Saving The World.

Woah! Creepy. Also, you got my old name wrong. It was Flame Master Axel....

Anyways, I can't remember how I found this forum. Probably was told to look at the webcomic, and happened into the forums. And here I am. That was a long time ago, and I can barely remember five minutes ago.

Where am I?

Terry576
2010-08-08, 03:56 AM
Woah! Creepy. Also, you got my old name wrong. It was Flame Master Axel....

Anyways, I can't remember how I found this forum. Probably was told to look at the webcomic, and happened into the forums. And here I am. That was a long time ago, and I can barely remember five minutes ago.

Where am I?

I remember you by your name from teh AQ forums. You were Flamemaster. :smalltongue:

And I think I remember... Didn't Fullbladder link us to a whore attack (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html)?

Lioness
2010-08-08, 04:33 AM
I read OOTS in my boyfriend's Dragon magazines, and decided that I needed more. So I found here, read all the way through the comic, and decided to join the forums.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-08-08, 04:41 AM
There was a link to the comic posted on the Bay12 Forums. I read the comic and eventually joined the forums.

ghost_warlock
2010-08-08, 04:41 AM
Followed Vorpal Tribble over from the WotC boards several ages ago.

Dispozition
2010-08-08, 04:44 AM
An australian exchange student recommended me this comic. Read it, joined the forum, been here ever since.

Do you happen to be in America and used to/do go to a school called Kiski? Although I'm not sure if the join date matches...

Anyway...I joined because...something. I think I got recommended the comic by a friend and found the forum form there. Those were the days.

Mx.Silver
2010-08-08, 05:28 AM
I clicked on the 'forum' button in the sidebar. That's pretty much it really.

Castaras
2010-08-08, 06:11 AM
I was wanting to draw a comic. Was sad because I thought my art wasn't detailed and good enough. Dad and Mum showed me this comic. I got to the Haley Cryptogram stuff. I translated one page, was very pleased, posted it to the forums, got linked to the actual cryptogram thread, got very embarassed and vanished again.

January 07, came back after a series of drama in Runescape, got involved in Town with the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues Castaras, Half-Drow Cleric/Wizard, on the run from a priestess of Lolth and good friends with a psychotic halfling necromancer known as Fus. She even had a scar over her eye originally! :smallamused:

Then Castaras became fully drow, and after Kiss/Kill with me just "Giving pie" to people, and Silkenfist, I believe, saying "Is that a good or a bad thing?" I became the pieomancer. :smallbiggrin:

Although I'm not much of a pieomancer nowadays. So yeah. *waves* Backstory go go go!

Adumbration
2010-08-08, 06:12 AM
Do you happen to be in America and used to/do go to a school called Kiski? Although I'm not sure if the join date matches...

Naw, wrong continent. Mainland europe here. :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-08, 07:21 AM
Followed Vorpal Tribble over from the WotC boards several ages ago.
That'll be ten dollah!

Eadin
2010-08-08, 07:24 AM
MrEdwardNigma made me do it...:smallbiggrin:
And I liked the comics

The Rose Dragon
2010-08-08, 07:26 AM
It was on the top of the GitP boards. :smalltongue:

You want to ask "How Did You Discover These Boards". Forum, singular, refers to Friendly Banter only (in this case, at least, since we're posting in the Friendly Banter forum). Forums could also refer to the entirety of the GitP boards, but never forum.

That aside, I discovered them after OotS #247, trying to find out the translations to Haley's gibberish.

Dispozition
2010-08-08, 07:28 AM
Naw, wrong continent. Mainland europe here. :smallwink:

Oh well, knew it was too good to be true. Still, that would have made an awesome story.

Thufir
2010-08-08, 07:44 AM
Someone brought Dungeon Crawlin' Fools along to a D&D session, I thought I'd check out the comic. Another forum I was on was slowly dying, making it seem like I had very little to do on the internet any more. I looked here out of curiosity, resolved to join, then delayed for 2 months while I picked a username I liked.

Greyskull
2010-08-08, 07:49 AM
I'm not 100% certain, but I think I discovered GiantITP courtesy of The Giant's guest comic for 8-bit Theater all those years ago. It then took me another year or 2 to register here on the forums.

Dogmantra
2010-08-08, 07:54 AM
TVTropes. Munchkin page, I think, linked to the strip with the half-ogre. I joined the forums a few months after starting to read the comic.

lesser_minion
2010-08-08, 07:57 AM
I started out reading Dragon, then I started reading the 'real' comic once I had a reasonable internet connection. Once I'd finished the OotS archive, I started poking around the rest of the site.

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-08, 08:10 AM
SlightlyEvil recommended the comic to me and kept pestering me til I read it. Then I joined the forums to comment on something in a Start of Darkness thread.

Raz_Fox
2010-08-08, 08:24 AM
I got linked to OOTS off the WotC boards three years back, and took a look. Read through the comic, and then lurked on the boards for about a year or so. Then I got it into my fool head that I wanted to start posting. Never looked back. :smallbiggrin:

Creed
2010-08-08, 08:41 AM
Accidently clicked on the forum button while reading OotS and saw FFRP.:smallbiggrin:

Thorcrest
2010-08-08, 08:56 AM
My friend showed me the comic which I fell in love with, but not being one for forums, I didn't sign up... that is until one of our real life sessions for a Legend of Zelda game became a PbP game... that game is now found in my sig, and I have been here ever since.

Blue Ghost
2010-08-08, 01:12 PM
Got linked to OOTS from the WotC boards, read it on and off. Looked up OOTS on Wikipedia one day, found a link to the forums relating to "What Haley Said," and decided to check it out. Decided to join the forums and lurk, did so for a few months. Then one lonely night, I found SMBG, and my life has never been the same.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-08, 01:21 PM
I was linked to the comic in 2006 (strip 387 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html) to be precise) and have been reading it since.

Then one day in 2009, I noticed the forum button and chanced to click on it. After lurking for a while In Arts and Crafts, a character competition for a webcomic came up and I signed up and entered it... (I didn't win it...)

Sneak
2010-08-08, 01:34 PM
My brother showed me the comic, and after some time I finally worked up the nerve to ask my parents if I could register for the forums (I was a good little 11 year old boy).

Dmatix
2010-08-08, 01:46 PM
I found the comic a while back, I think from TV tropes, but I didn't register to the forum until I checked Rutskarn's site Chocolate Hammer where he talked quite a bit about it.

Recaiden
2010-08-08, 02:07 PM
Folowed cog_n_taz from WotC boards. Or did that happen later? I know I knew of this place before that. But I didn't really look into it until then.

hamishspence
2010-08-08, 02:07 PM
Saw OoTS in Dragon Magazine, looked it up on the net, lurked for a while, and eventually joined the forum.

Prince Zahn
2010-08-08, 02:10 PM
My brother showed me some stuff around the site in 2008,
been lurking around forums until a recently when I decided to to join,(The trigger was when I saw the Iron Avatarist contest thread,) ever since I've been looking around for something I's post in...:smallsigh:

Starfols
2010-08-08, 02:23 PM
...I don't remember.

I remembering being on the WotC boards a while back, then getting bored and quitting.
I remember my friends talking about updates to order of the stick, which I thought sounded like a phallic and stupid name for a webcomic, before I realized it meant stick-figure. :smallsigh:
Then I realized the comic was brilliant and started reading it, and things get fuzzy from there.

I think I clicked on all the tabs: comics, stories, gaming and forum, and noticed a thread I wanted to read and lurk in (probably general anime discussion :smallredface:)
A long, long amount of time spent lurking later, either by a friend linking me or by chance, found a thread that made me make an account and post. Years later I rediscovered my account and started posting in earnest.

tehjohnli
2010-08-08, 02:28 PM
I read a couple of online webcomics, like cyanide and happiness and XKCD, and I post on the forums. My sister introduced this to me, though.

Maelstrom
2010-08-08, 04:34 PM
A buddy's link on our now defunct, RPG forum.

Dang, that was 6 years ago!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-08-08, 04:43 PM
I remember you by your name from teh AQ forums. You were Flamemaster. :smalltongue:

And I think I remember... Didn't Fullbladder link us to a whore attack (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html)?

I linked us over to a forum where we might pick up the peices. Drag my name through the mud, will you? Well, actually, I might have. But I'm fairly certain I didn't.

And yes, he was Flame Master Axel.

I don't remember how I got here, of course. It was a lot of years ago.

ScIaDrd
2010-08-08, 05:25 PM
Once, long ago..actualy I´m not sure when, like 3-4 years ago, I was looking up something RPG-related on the interenet, and I stumbled on TVtropes... you know the rest:smallbiggrin: Lurked for ages, untl I joined sometime about the and of Darth!V arc. And so I was here, in this wondereful place.

Dragonrider
2010-08-08, 10:12 PM
My brother showed me the comic, and after some time I finally worked up the nerve to ask my parents if I could register for the forums (I was a good little 11 year old boy).

Hee hee. I remember when I signed up, I was all paranoid for days after because I was just sure my mum would object, which was just silly, because my little brother had had an account for over a year already. But there you have it.

-

Yeah, I found the comic in the fall of '06 through my younger brother, and signed up on a long, snowy day in December of that year after watching him post in some thread about favorite OotS characters, which I also wanted to do it. 'course, that was pretty much the first and last time I strayed out of FB, except to visit the A&C section once in a blue moon . . . .

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-08, 10:22 PM
A friend showed it to me. I was here for half a year, left, and then came back a year later. And I've been here ever since. Not very exciting story, but I remember when you could change your name whenever you wanted, so I changed mine to Master of Mirrors. I can't remember why, though...

ForzaFiori
2010-08-08, 10:42 PM
a forumite named Yaril gave me a link from one of my play-by-post games... I think it was the "4th edition" (our own, heavily modified version of 3.5, which came out before I had even heard of 4E DnD) thread on some free forums. Read the comic in like...3 days, saw the forums and logged on. Got hopelessly addicted (and a few infractions from acting like I do in other forums like TOTSE), and took a break. Then I decided to come back. YAY

Serpentine
2010-08-08, 10:43 PM
My ex introduced me to Order of the Stick and posted on the forums a lot. I was intimidated by the big long topics, so I didn't join for quite a long time.

Ashen Lilies
2010-08-08, 10:44 PM

again.

You sure about this? I don't remember ever meeting you until you joined FFRP... :smallconfused:
Come to think of it, I was never part of the AQ forums, either.
OMG I MUST HAVE AMNESIA!!! :eek:

Felyndiira
2010-08-08, 10:53 PM
I was linked to OotS back in 2005, on a forum that shall not be named. I decided that I liked the comic and followed it, and sometime in 2009, I became curious, clicked on the forum link, made my first crappy avatar, and started posting in the avatar requests topic. Thus, here I am =p.

Darkcomet
2010-08-08, 10:55 PM
*appears in a puff of smoke* I see my tendency to pop up in threads where I'm mentioned is continuing. Heh heh.

Anyway. Thanks to that connection Terry already explained, well, Fullbladder was in a bit of an OotS craze (which at that point was comparable to his Transformers obsession :smalltongue:), so he directed me to the comic. From there I came to the forums myself.

Also, I can't recall Kris being part of the Radio Game either. >.>

The Extinguisher
2010-08-08, 11:05 PM
You sure about this? I don't remember ever meeting you until you joined FFRP... :smallconfused:
Come to think of it, I was never part of the AQ forums, either.
OMG I MUST HAVE AMNESIA!!! :eek:

Amnesia! But I'm your brother! and pregnant with your child!

StreetPizza
2010-08-08, 11:11 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I think this may all have come about from tab-surfing on TV Tropes a few months ago. Maybe.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-08-09, 12:26 AM
My numerous obsessions are none of your concerns! You just have to put up with them!

I think.... no, still can't think that far back.

Kara Kuro
2010-08-09, 12:49 AM
Blame Slayer Draco for my presence here. Seriously.
She was always in the playground or sneaking off to check her posts and what-not. I wanted to see what the big deal was.

WalkingTarget
2010-08-09, 01:07 AM
It was 2005 and it was GenCon. A friend had us make a detour by some booth so he could get his copies of some webcomic collections signed since the author wasn't at the booth when he'd purchased them earlier that day.

I started reading the comic once GenCon was over and I got back to a computer. Then I continued to read them. Then did the obligatory archive binge and discovered that Haley's gibberish was cryptograms so I worked them out. Then I started looking at forum topics while I waited for more comics to be posted. Then, one day, I discovered that I had something to input in a conversation so I finally signed up and started posting.

ForzaFiori
2010-08-09, 01:52 AM
a forumite named Yaril gave me a link from one of my play-by-post games... I think it was the "4th edition" (our own, heavily modified version of 3.5, which came out before I had even heard of 4E DnD) thread on some free forums. Read the comic in like...3 days, saw the forums and logged on. Got hopelessly addicted (and a few infractions from acting like I do in other forums like TOTSE), and took a break. Then I decided to come back. YAY

Oh, and I'm responsible for Ch3ifl3af and Glad_Vampyre being here too. I spread the joys of OoTS where ever I go.

Terry576
2010-08-09, 01:58 AM
Amnesia! But I'm your brother! and pregnant with your child!

But you cheated on him with Juan! How could you Carlos, HOW COULD YOU!

I might be completely wrong about Kris being part of the Radio Game.

And what pieces? You mean our convoluted 'plot'?

Dude, we all gave up on understanding around the third time Math blew up the North Pole, and when we started making up New Villains for no reason other than "Hey, five main villains isn't enough."

rakkoon
2010-08-09, 02:11 AM
Through the guest strip in 8 bit theater. I have no idea how I found that one.
Not checking it anymore and an avid oots fan!

The Succubus
2010-08-09, 05:32 AM
The usual way, I was directed to come here by some guy I met in a tavern. He was staring into his mug.

Coplantor
2010-08-09, 10:11 AM
Found Oots while reading Goblins, everytime I looked for something DnD related google lead me to either wizards forums or here, I wanted to share a homebrewed setting so I joined.

Calamity
2010-08-09, 11:29 AM
Hmm, from another comic I guess. I think back in 2006 OotS tied with a comic (the name escapes me right now) in the Webcomic Choice Awards for Best Fantasy or something or other. I was reading the other comic at the time and I thought, well I guess I'll check out OotS since it's supposedly on par with this one. Been reading it ever since.

For 4 years...

My god, now I feel old.

Yora
2010-08-09, 11:31 AM
There's a link to a Forum next to the comic. I'm pretty sure that's what brought me here.

Zalgo
2010-08-09, 11:55 AM
I have been reading OOTS since it began.
One day I clicked the forum link.
Here I am.
:smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 01:13 PM
Back in the good ol' days, I played Living Greyhawk. Living Greyhawk gave you an adventure certificate (AR or "cert" for short) every time you played. You had to keep all your ARs with your character, so you could reference them as needed and know what kind of swag you've found. Most experienced LG players kept their certs (and character sheets) in 3 ring binders, with some sort of decoration on the outside, be it a neat picture, character portrait, or such. One guy had an OotS comic printed off in the front of his binder, and reading it, I found it hillarious. I then went home and read the whole archive (only about 200 comics or so at the time). About 6 months or so later, I became pretty active at CharOp and started posting in the Gaming forums. I've been here ever since, but I mostly only ever dabble in Gaming, RB, and PbP.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-09, 01:18 PM
I was in the local library with an old friend, she showed me the comic. In that half hour of the session left I read about one hundred pages and wrote down the comic name.
Got home that night, went on the internet. And this was back when our only computer was in the same room with the parents and they were firmly of the view that internet = homework. Sneak read my way through the entire comic in three evenings.
It was during the Battle for Azure City, but I can't remember when exactly.

About two weeks later, and a week after I started reading the forums I ioined. Can't remember if there was a specific reason though.
So I began sneak posting at home and at school.
Seven months later my parents found out I was on an EVIL INTERNET FORUM, but by then it was too late.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-09, 01:22 PM
I've told the story several times, but, eh, I like talking to you people :smalltongue:

Once upon a time, Rabbit was twelve years old, and lived in Plymouth, MA. She went to school with a boy, and they became friends, and, like all kids at that age, did the "boyfriend/girlfriend" thing.
And then Rabbit moved to Oklahoma, and didn't talk to said boy again for five years, and stumbled upon his phone number in an old year book. Curious, I (yes, I did just switch from third person to first >>) decided to call him up, we talked for a bit, and exchanged AIM screen names.
After talking for a bit, he knew of my guilty pleasure for roleplaying, and directed me to Town.
And I loved it and stayed, slowly branching out into SMBG, and then sloooowly, slooooooooowly moving into the other parts of the forum.
And that is that.
That boy?
Rex Idiotarum. (Not that many of you are likely to remember him...)

AtopTheMountain
2010-08-09, 01:28 PM
Saw a link to OotS in this D&D article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20060207a), read the comic, joined the forum two or three years later.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-09, 01:34 PM
I've told the story several times, but, eh, I like talking to you people :smalltongue:

Once upon a time, *history of the Rabbit*
That boy?

0.o

Whoa.
You learn something new every day. (And yes, I do remember him, but we must not speak of him here . . . )

Thufir
2010-08-09, 02:09 PM
I recognise the name, but can't claim to know him at all.

Temotei
2010-08-09, 02:18 PM
The Beginning

I found Zeta Kai's Final Fantasy X d20 project while searching for...something related to Final Fantasy X. I joined to comment on some sizes I disagreed with on the creatures, sending a massive PM to him about it.

I was absent for many months, then came back after I found the project again.

Then I started working in the Homebrew forum, mostly. I'd watch the critiques in homebrew threads and learn what was balanced and what was not, etc.

:smallcool:

Maelstrom
2010-08-09, 03:21 PM
I have been reading OOTS since it began.
One day I clicked the forum link.
Here I am.
:smallsmile:

You waited 7 years to join the forums?

The Succubus
2010-08-09, 03:50 PM
It's a scary place, you know. All these sinister looking mods with {their big friendly smiles, helpful natures and no mind control whatsoever, no siree}

Dispozition
2010-08-09, 05:58 PM

And that is that.
That boy?

Woooooah, old times there. I'll admit, I don't remember you from the town though :-/

Dragonrider
2010-08-09, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I remember him too. And I remember you under the old name but I don't think I knew you then.

Cealocanth
2010-08-09, 06:43 PM
Same as many others here, I picked up a copy of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools over at my local gaming store and I automaticly became hooked to OOTS. I spent about a year reading the books without ever thinking to visit GitP. Then I got really sick. It took me out of school for about 4 days and I only felt good enough to sit and read, and that's when I caught myself up to OOTS on this site. Then I decided to take a look at the strange link labled "Forum" and the adventure really began...

wxdruid
2010-08-09, 07:20 PM
I went to Qatar (Military Deployment) in 2005 and started playing D&D again and the group introduced me to Order of the Stick. I could access it there through a proxy site and read them all. Joined the forums a little while after I got back home. Been a regular member since then.

Trog
2010-08-09, 07:53 PM
Got 'net access. Searched for cool DnD stuff. Found site. Read through the whole comic. Went to forums. Joined to play Stabbity Death. Been here since.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-09, 08:05 PM
An acquaintance of mine wanted me to join another forum several years ago, assuring me its community was funny to watch. I joined, and to an extent it was true, but not enough so to be really worth the trouble of surfing. However, one member started a thread for OotS, and linked to the latest strip (#214) and consequently I read them all, and continued as a reader for some time before lurking on the forums briefly. Then I signed up and lurked for about another year before posting regularly, and even that was sporadic until a little while ago.

I couldn't possibly link that other forum now, since I cannot do so much as remember its name...

Marnath
2010-08-09, 09:21 PM
I was playing DDO, when the rogue in our party epic failed his sneaking and pulled all kinds of trolls and hobgoblins down on us. My guild mate gave the famous Elan quote " I ROLLED A 4!!" And i was like, lol wut? He directed me here, where i've lurked since the mid 500's. Only signed up recently though.

_Zoot_
2010-08-09, 09:30 PM
I was new to DnD, a friend that I had recently introduced DnD too (I needed a group when I first started, so instead of finding one, I made one! =P ) must have found this site some how, he directed me to it saying that the comic was great (very true!) and then after reading the comic for a while I poked "Forum" and was completely confused...

Eventually however, I got the hang of it and the rest is history...

Or a really good hallucination, not sure.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-09, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I remember him too. And I remember you under the old name but I don't think I knew you then.

Likely very few people knew me then- I didn't really branch out of SMBG until I lost the QueenOfMemnoch account :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2010-08-09, 10:25 PM
Likely very few people knew me then- I didn't really branch out of SMBG until I lost the QueenOfMemnoch account :smalltongue:
Lady, I remember you from then.

As for myself, I found this webcomic following random Wikipedia links when I was living in India, sitting in a little fan-cooled closet of an Internet cafe sipping bizarre sodas on my Sundays off from teaching. I peeked into the forums, overlooked by a laminated poster of Ganesha, and joined after lurking for a while on the discussions in the LGBT thread. The good times have rolled ever since.

Dispozition
2010-08-10, 12:09 AM

Wait, that was you :O *mind blown*

nyjastul69
2010-08-10, 01:42 AM
I found a link to the comic on another message board, although I don't recall exactly which one. I read the comics and joined the forums that day. I lurk much more than post obviously. I also don't leave the Roleplaying Games forum much.

Serpentine
2010-08-10, 01:46 AM
Likely very few people knew me then- I didn't really branch out of SMBG until I lost the QueenOfMemnoch account :smalltongue:You had another name, I'm sure of it. I forget it.

Rowsen
2010-08-10, 01:59 AM
I saw the panel of Belkar on the pile of hobgoblin corpses on a guy's profile on Red Vs Blue. A google search later and well, here we are. First comic I saw was the one with Elan, Durkon and Daigo running from the orc tribe. It was pretty awesome reading the stuff that lead up to that.

mangosta71
2010-08-10, 09:25 AM
My brother (whom some of you may know as Philistine) introduced me to the comic. I took a couple weeks to read them all during down-time at work. I started checking out the forums just in time to learn about the meetup that had happened the weekend before and created an account about a week later to comment on something or other. Can't remember what.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-10, 09:36 AM
You had another name, I'm sure of it. I forget it.

Nope- I've just been QoM and RHL.

Arachu
2010-08-10, 03:18 PM
Back when I played Kingdom of Loathing a guy called Warlordian linked me to the pages when Durkon and Hilgya were wandering about.

Sadly, I lost contact with KoL when my internet refused to work for several months.

I eventually decided to visit the forum (a decision that took me a while, for some odd reason of mine), and proceeded to post half-finished homebrews all over the place.

Must've been three years ago, sometime in Spring.

Rae Artemi
2010-08-10, 03:40 PM
Heh, turns out I wasn't the only one who came here from the Battleon forums.

My story is pretty simple though, I used to hang out in the OOC sub forum and someone linked to xkcd. It was my first webcomic, and I liked it, so I looked for more. I found the webcomic recommendations thread and was linked to Bob and George, read it in a couple of days, and went back to the webcomic recommendations thread, and found OOtS. Joined the forums after a couple of months of lurking.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-10, 03:45 PM
My DM's son was reading OOTS during a break in a session around a year ago.

Then a friend in my WoW Guild then brought it up a few months ago, and I finally checked it out. After finishing the comic, I joined.

Terry576
2010-08-10, 06:06 PM
Heh, turns out I wasn't the only one who came here from the Battleon forums.

My story is pretty simple though, I used to hang out in the OOC sub forum and someone linked to xkcd. It was my first webcomic, and I liked it, so I looked for more. I found the webcomic recommendations thread and was linked to Bob and George, read it in a couple of days, and went back to the webcomic recommendations thread, and found OOtS. Joined the forums after a couple of months of lurking.

Well, surely you must've seen the ridiculous antics of The Radio Game!

We blew up... Now let's see... I had a list...

The North Pole (Twice.)
Striker's Castle (Thrice.)
Safiria's Castle (Once. Killed Her.)
Wolfwing, making yet another ridiculous villain. (Once or Twice.)
Battleon. (Numerous Times.)

I think that's all. I might've missed some during Axel's rampant pyromania.

Zaydos
2010-08-10, 06:22 PM
The comic came out in Dragon Magazine so after a while I started reading it online. A good while later I started looking at the forums just to see what they said, and then I found the homebrew forum and started lurking there. Eventually I finally decided to post some homebrew for some reason. Then I started posting more and looking at the RPG forum more.

Philistine
2010-08-10, 10:51 PM
I created a forum account mostly because I was interested in the PbP section of the boards.
I arrived at the forums from the link on the site mainpage.
I arrived at the site mainpage after following a link from TVTropes, as I'd seen OotS cited there many times and decided I'd see what all the fuss was about.
I got to TVTropes courtesy of a link at the old Team Gizka (massive, ultimately failed modding project for KotOR2) forums.
And finally, I was at the Team Gizka forums because I'd witnessed the genesis of that project on the Obsidian Entertainment forums shortly after KotOR2 was released, and was in the habit of checking for signs of progress there from time to time.

Crafty Cultist
2010-08-10, 11:52 PM
My little brother directed me to a certain D&D comic a freind of his showed him. I enjoyed reading it and eventually started looking round the rest of the website, including the forums. guess which comic it was

Dogmantra
2010-08-10, 11:53 PM
guess which comic it was

I guess Goblins.

Asthix
2010-08-11, 03:54 PM
I was linked to OotS back in 2005, on a forum that shall not be named. =p.

Penny Arcade perhaps? I was mining their old news posts last week and came across a 5 year old link to OoTS (as I mentioned in the 'Other Webcomics/PA' forum) and jumped right in. When I finished all 700+ and my vision cleared I noticed the forum button for the 1st time and joined yesterday.

Lots of good sources for discovery of these forums. Tv tropes, WotC site, word of mouth, Dragon magazine. It makes me feel old that I stopped reading Dragon magazine before OoTS was published in it.

I roleplayed 2nd ed. D&D into 3rd ed. (when brand new) in grade & middle school, but drifted away from it in high school. I've read KotD and enjoyed a lot of the references there so when I found the link to OotS I felt like I was right at home in the long form narrative storyline.

Now that I'm on the Forums!! I'm thinking of getting into the PbP stuff, cause I like writing. Suggestions? :smalleek:

Darius Midnite
2010-08-11, 04:19 PM
I suppose it came to me in a dream, or perhaps it was just that I was searching randomly for web comics and stumbled upon giantitp, then read the entire comic, became addicted and then eventually joined the boards. You be the judge.

Zocelot
2010-08-11, 09:17 PM
Some guy I was doing a one-shot with brought one of the books. I only got a glimpse, but checked out the comic anyway. I don't remember why I joined after reading it.

Terry576
2010-08-11, 09:29 PM
Some guy I was doing a one-shot with brought one of the books. I only got a glimpse, but checked out the comic anyway. I don't remember why I joined after reading it.

Because of the- There is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

Krade
2010-08-12, 11:14 AM
I started reading the comic during the trial (wow, almost five years ago). I'd been shown it earlier than that by my DM but didn't really get into it until my friend (who used to be on the boards, The Lonely d12) sent me an e-mail with a list of webcomics I should be reading. OotS was on the list and I've been here ever since.

I think it was a few months after I finished the comic, but it wasn't too long after that I decided to check out the forum. It is great strides better than the other board (Nuklear Power) I had joined previously and since got bored with.

Trobby
2010-08-13, 09:43 AM
I could swear I told this story before...

Around about when I started looking for colleges, I was introduced to tabletop role-playing, and by the time I was actually IN college and joining a session, several references were being made to OOTS, a relatively new webcomic that was very popular among gamers. If I recall correctly, this was around the same time Miko was first showing up, but it might've been a little later.

Anyway, one player directed me to the comic, I liked it, kept reading, noticed a forum, lurked for about 4 years, then finally decided to start posting regularly...then stopped for about half a year, and got back on again.

So my journey has been sort of windy and loopy, but hey, I'm still here. ^^;

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-13, 09:51 AM
I could swear I told this story before...

Around about when I started looking for colleges, I was introduced to tabletop role-playing, and by the time I was actually IN college and joining a session, several references were being made to OOTS, a relatively new webcomic that was very popular among gamers. If I recall correctly, this was around the same time Miko was first showing up, but it might've been a little later.

Anyway, one player directed me to the comic, I liked it, kept reading, noticed a forum, lurked for about 4 years, then finally decided to start posting regularly...then stopped for about half a year, and got back on again.

So my journey has been sort of windy and loopy, but hey, I'm still here. ^^;

You joined in 06 after 4 years of lurking? This has been around since 02?

Calamity
2010-08-13, 11:38 AM

The comic started in 2003, but the website obviously predates that. But looking at the Giant's join date, these forums have been around since 2003, so no, I highly doubt that it was around in 2002.

lesser_minion
2010-08-13, 11:47 AM

I suspect that the site as a whole has, but not the comic (which is 7 years old next month, according to Wikipedia).

I think Trobby signed up before he stopped lurking, however.

Trobby
2010-08-13, 10:24 PM
Actually, I did it in a rather silly way. I read the comic, lurked for about half a year, signed up, lurked for FOUR years, then....yeah..very silly. ^^;

Diva De
2010-08-14, 04:01 PM
I was playing in a DnD group back in 2004, and they pointed me to the site. Read it for a bit, then discovered the forums and found some of the best people in the world. I've been away a few times (some voluntary, others not so much), but I'm here now!

Fortuna
2010-08-14, 04:12 PM
Way back when OOTS was only on about strip 300 or so, I googled "gaming jokes" or something of that nature. That led me to OOTS.

A significant length of time later, I joined the forum.

Aystra
2010-08-14, 04:27 PM
A couple years back, my sister showed my the OOTS comic and I got hooked. After reading all of the strips out at that moment, I found the "forum" button a few months later.

Exachix
2010-08-17, 12:06 PM
Many people have been and gone since I joined this wonderful boards, but here is my story...

Back in the Winter of 2005 I was on a roleplaying board where play-by-post games were ran. In this forum there was a large arena-type game which ran. I have since forgotten the name of this board, but about this time it suffered a 3 or 4 day downtime stroke crash. I have since never been back.

In the Summer of 2006, I was searching the internet for a place to get back into play Play-By-Post Dungeons and Dragons Games. I didn't join the boards right away, but I did start reading the comic, and then soon later I joined Within a short while I joined Town. At this point I wasn't overly hyped about foxes. But that's basically where I found the comic. I made a few faux pas in my first week/month/decade.

Looking back.. most of my early posts (the posts in Town) have been deleted due to thread loss.

It's here I met Fenric and Illias and Earin (=P) and loads of people. It's people on this board that helped influence my way to university.

I keep coming back here because this board is made of win - I keep comming back because you're awesome, so I keep re-finding these boards.

Alarra
2010-08-17, 02:53 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I think I discovered GiantITP courtesy of The Giant's guest comic for 8-bit Theater all those years ago. It then took me another year or 2 to register here on the forums.

I came here from that guest comic too, only I didn't wait to join. Then I posted in FB a lot (didn't have that crazy SMBG place yet or I'd probably have been there) and become a goddess during a very long, derailed Banjo thread and have since made most of my best friends here and will probably never leave (though I do occasionally take breaks for months at a time).