PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Disguise Self Question

Crow
2010-08-08, 01:26 PM
While using a bunch of Disguise Self potions in our last game, we read the spell description and it says that a battle axe made to look like a dagger still functions as a battle axe.

So I was wondering, would it be a reasonable ruling to say that an opponent who is unaware of the true nature of a weapon could be taken advantage of by this. For instance, swinging with a dagger which is really a longsword, the opponent would be unaware of the character's true reach, and so give the character a +1 to his first attack with that weapon?

Eldariel
2010-08-08, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't bat an eye if you e.g. let the opponent be considered flat-footed against the first attack or some such, with maybe +2 (the "invisibility"-bonus on to hit - no flat-footedness tho) on subsequent attacks. BNut of course, rules don't contain such clauses. Which is why DMs are there.

Devils_Advocate
2010-08-09, 08:34 PM
This looks like a job for ye olde +2 circumstance bonus.

Crow
2010-08-09, 08:55 PM
This looks like a job for ye olde +2 circumstance bonus.

That's what I was thinking as well. That thing works for so many situations.

Panigg
2010-08-10, 04:41 AM
Permant Greater Invisibility on your weapons is awesome.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-10, 05:44 AM

It's targeted only on creatures.

Xan_Kriegor
2010-08-10, 06:23 AM

Not to derail the thread or anything, but would the Greater part really be necessary? If you have say, an invisible longsword, it's not making any attacks against enemies. The longsword is being used to attack with, but it's not actually doing an attack action. Also, it's an object, so it can't distinguish the difference between allies and enemies. That throws intelligent weapons in for a loop though. :smallconfused:

Zeta Kai
2010-08-10, 06:40 AM
That's what I was thinking as well. That thing works for so many situations.

All hail the circumstance bonus! All hail the circumstance bonus!