PDA

View Full Version : Skill actions?

FullofQuestions
2010-08-08, 03:01 PM
I was just wondering what kind of actions using your skills would be. I can't imagine using heal, stealth, and history, for example, would take the same kind of action. Is this just something I would make a house rule for as we go? Has anyone else had this problem and found a good way to deal with it?

Protecar
2010-08-08, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure if it's specifically stated anywhere(if it is, someone will come along and cite it), but I would rule all skill checks as free actions, but the application of them might take other actions.

Examples:

Any knowledge check is a free action
Using stealth/move silently is a free action, but the movement to get somewhere while moving silently isn't.
Climb/jump checks would be free but the movement taken would be counted as your move action for the turn.

Heal is slightly different, I think it says a heal check is a standard or a full round action somewhere. Can't remember.

--Hope that helps! :mitd:

FullofQuestions
2010-08-08, 03:10 PM
So are you basically saying that all are free actions unless otherwise stated?

Human Paragon 3
2010-08-08, 03:11 PM
It says the action required under the skill heading. For example, under the heal skill, it says:

Action

Providing first aid, treating a wound, or treating poison is a standard action. Treating a disease or tending a creature wounded by a spike growth or spike stones spell takes 10 minutes of work. Providing long-term care requires 8 hours of light activity.

If it doesn't say what type of action a skill takes (it usually does!) I rule it as a move action.

FullofQuestions
2010-08-08, 03:15 PM
If it doesn't say what type of action a skill takes (it usually does!)

I can't believe I missed all those right at the top of the gray boxes. Thanks.