PDA

View Full Version : Lockdown Feats

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 04:34 PM
I'm trying to find all the feats that might be useful in a lockdown build. By now, I have:
Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise (requirement), Improved Trip, Knockdown (SRD)
Evasive Reflexes (ToB), Deft Opportunist (Complete Adventurer, I think), Sidestep, Double-Hit (Tome of Battle), Mage Slayer (Complete Arcane), Supernatural Reflexes (or was it witch hunter? it's from Tome of Magic, allowing AoO on supernatural abilities), Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades (ToB).
Stand Still (XPH, can't believe I forgot that), Defensive Sweep (PHB2; requires BAB+15)

Did I miss any?
EDIT: Also, is there any specially good equipment for a lockdown build?

Zeta Kai
2010-08-08, 04:40 PM
Please define lockdown for us, so that we know what you mean when you use it. I consider lockdown to mean "negating my opponents' opportunities to act", but you may have a differing definition, resulting in confusion.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-08, 04:42 PM
Stand Still (ExpPsiHB)

Keld Denar
2010-08-08, 04:43 PM
Defensive Sweep for the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" theme.

Greenish
2010-08-08, 04:44 PM
If you mean AoO related stuff, there's Earth Devotion and that Knight ability whose name I can't recall just now, which both make difficult terrain and thus prevent tumbling, running and charging.

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 04:51 PM
Defensive Sweep for the "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" theme.

Is that a feat? I thought it was a fighter alternate class feature.

Please define lockdown for us, so that we know what you mean when you use it. I consider lockdown to mean "negating my opponents' opportunities to act", but you may have a differing definition, resulting in confusion.
I think that is a good definition, yes.

Stand Still (ExpPsiHB)
Can't believe I forgot. Thanks.

FelixG
2010-08-08, 04:55 PM
Is that a feat? I thought it was a fighter alternate class feature.

It is indeed a feat, required BAB 15+ though

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 05:04 PM
It is indeed a feat, required BAB 15+ though

Hmm, nice to know, thanks.

If you mean AoO related stuff, there's Earth Devotion and that Knight ability whose name I can't recall just now, which both make difficult terrain and thus prevent tumbling, running and charging.
Hm, Earth Devotion. Sounds like a good find. Is it only 1/day?

Greenish
2010-08-08, 05:05 PM
I think that is a good definition, yes.I've found that often a good way of negating the opponent's opportunities to act is to kill them. Granted, death doesn't actually impair you much, but most DMs tend to houserule it.

Also, Martial Study. White Raven, for example has great maneuvers that prevent your opponent from using AoO (or any actions with higher level maneuvers).

Keld Denar
2010-08-08, 05:39 PM
Devotions are 1/day, unless you have a source of Turn Undead (cleric/paladin/KnightoftheRaven/etc). Then they are 1 + X/Y times per day, where X is the number of TU attempts you have and Y is the number of TU attempts the feat requires. Different devotions require different amounts. Law, for example, is 3, while Travel is 2 and Strength is 1.

Grappling is also a form of lockdown. Its not hard to make an optimized grappler that can pin an equal CRed dragon, and if you go a little crazy with Multigrab and Improved Multigrab, you can even hold multiple foes at once.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-08, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, Feats useful for lockdown characters...

Combat Reflexes
Combat Expertise
Two Weapon Fighting
Weapon Finesse
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Chain (this is different than Spiked Chain, this one is 1d6, and can have reach OR be a 1d6/1d6 for use with two weapon fighting. It's in Oriental Adventures, and it was *not* changed in the Dragon Magazine update to Oriental Adventures which made OA 3.5 compatible)
Improved Trip
Curling Wave Strike
Cunning Sidestep
Combat Stability
Double Hit
Overhead Thrust
Sidestep
Evasive Reflexes
Stand Still
Knock-down
Robilar's Gambit
Karmic Strike
Hold the Line
Mage Slayer
Jotunbrud
Deft Opportunist
Defensive Sweep
Improved Combat Reflexes
Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 06:08 PM
I've found that often a good way of negating the opponent's opportunities to act is to kill them. Granted, death doesn't actually impair you much, but most DMs tend to houserule it.
I take it this was supposed to be a joke...

Also, Martial Study. White Raven, for example has great maneuvers that prevent your opponent from using AoO (or any actions with higher level maneuvers).
Hm, never heard of those specific maneuvers, really. I'll check'em, thanks.

Eldariel
2010-08-08, 06:13 PM
I take it this was supposed to be a joke...

I think he was making a case for using Chargers (or generic Melee Damage) as "control" of sorts.

Hm, never heard of those specific maneuvers, really. I'll check'em, thanks.

Douse the Flames and Covering Strike both stop enemy from taking AoOs; one is a Strike, other is a Boost. Strike is 1st level, Boost is 4th.

Anyways, Person Man's Melee Compilation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026) contains fairly decent lists of the Lockdown tools (Knockback Bull Rush-based, Trip-based (with or without Knock-Down), simple Stand Still-base and Fear-base).

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 06:26 PM
I think he was making a case for using Chargers (or generic Melee Damage) as "control" of sorts.

Oh. That sounds like those pesky 'play X instead' advices... I don't think Greenish would do that, he's a nice guy.

Eldariel
2010-08-08, 06:31 PM
Oh. That sounds like those pesky 'play X instead' advices... I don't think Greenish would do that, he's a nice guy.

It's probably a jest, at least to a degree (though also sorta true). Alternatively, it could be a case of semantics; after all, Big Smash Hulk qualifies as "melee lockdown" for certain definitions of lockdown. But mayhap I ought to wait for him to clarify.

EDIT: And yeah, you should probably add the Improved Bull Rush > Rampaging Bull Rush chain for lockdown as it allows knocking people down too.

Greenish
2010-08-08, 07:18 PM
Hm, never heard of those specific maneuvers, really. I'll check'em, thanks.Offhand, there's Douse the Flames (prevents target hit from using AoO for a turn), White Raven Strike (makes target hit flat-footed, which prevents using AoO or Immediate Actions, such as counters) and White Raven Hammer (which flat out stuns the target).

I don't think Greenish would do that, he's a nice guy.Who me? :smallconfused:

Meh, it was just a lame excuse to make a joke on how, by RAW, death doesn't prevent you from taking actions.

[Edit]: Though, Shock Trooper allows you to trip up people by bull rushing them to each others, and a case could easily be made that Bull Rush can be used to deny opponents actions, or at least make them less effective.

true_shinken
2010-08-08, 08:20 PM
Offhand, there's Douse the Flames (prevents target hit from using AoO for a turn), White Raven Strike (makes target hit flat-footed, which prevents using AoO or Immediate Actions, such as counters) and White Raven Hammer (which flat out stuns the target).

Stunning! There is a stunning weapon enhancement, right? I think I could get him that...

Greenish
2010-08-08, 08:53 PM
Stunning! There is a stunning weapon enhancement, right? I think I could get him that...There are two, I seem to recall. Sudden Stunning and Stunning Surge, or something like that. The other one's decent, the other great for a charismatic character.

Pechvarry
2010-08-09, 01:24 AM
Supernatural Reflexes (or was it witch hunter? it's from Tome of Magic, allowing AoO on supernatural abilities)

I believe there's a Dragon magazine with something along these lines that probably lacks additional feat reqs, but the Tome of Magic version is Supernatural Opportunist and requires Supernatural Crusader (+1 attack/damage vs creatures with Su abilities).

Also (because Person_Man's monk thread is on the mind), Improved Unarmed Strike >> Acheron Flurry (Planar Handbook). It occurs to me that a Swiftblade or a Factotum whose dipped Monk or Unarmed Swordsage could use their action economy advantage to shut down an enemy and continue on to another foe.

Of course, there's the pesky requirement that you must've actually dealt damage to them with a melee attack... Snap kick!

WinWin
2010-08-09, 04:10 AM
EWP or MP in a reach weapon is neccesary. Otherwise the opposition can take a 5 ft step out of your area of control in a lot of cases. Gear and powers/spells to increase size help.

Greatreach breacers. Bracers of opportunity. Sidestep boots can be handy getting close to a large creature. Alchemical Weapon capsule retainers from Complete Adventurer can be handy. Depends on whether you consider poison use control.

Elusive Target has some amusing uses, even if the prerequisites suck. Three Mountains is decent, not much is immune to being Nauseated. With an Aptitude weapon on a Knockdown build it can be used to great effect. The prerequisites for Three Thunders set you up for Shock Trooper, obviously synergising with Dungeoncrasher.

Most of the good stuff has already been covered, I am sure there are a few tricks for specific builds though.

Volthawk
2010-08-09, 05:21 AM
Also, Deformity (tall) (Heroes of Horror; requires Willing Deformity) and Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness; requires Aberrant Blood) both increase reach. However, Deformity gives you -1 AC and -2 Hide, while Inhuman Reach gives a -1 penalty to attacks, so it is a little bit of a trade-off.

panaikhan
2010-08-09, 07:57 AM
I remember a Lasher (PrC) lockdown build based on whip-daggers, where the character got an AoO against anyone in their (quite impressive) 15' reach, without racial size/reach cheeze.

Coidzor
2010-08-09, 09:22 AM
I remember a Lasher (PrC) lockdown build based on whip-daggers, where the character got an AoO against anyone in their (quite impressive) 15' reach, without racial size/reach cheeze.

Hmm, wonder how he did that legally.

true_shinken
2010-08-09, 09:51 AM
Hmm, wonder how he did that legally.

Exotic Weapon Master's exotic reach, most likely.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-09, 06:37 PM
Hey there, do you need help finding the sources of most of those feats in my list? I THINK most of them are findable via realmshelp, except the Tome of Battle ones... those are good for lockdown characters... some of them are from dragon magazine, lots of them have prerequisites. If you want to play a lockdown fighter, basically just give the list to the DM, talk about what they do, talk about what is the minimum needed to actually get the character able to do the role, point out how a ton of these feats have very silly and odd prerequisites, and ask permission to be able to do things to get more of these feats as options in the fighter build, and also talk to the DM and ask for the option to reflavor some of the prerequisites for some of these feats to instead have, as prerequisite, OTHER feats on that list. Ask for a bit of help in focusing the numbers to follow the character concept.

Lans
2010-08-09, 06:52 PM
Boomerang Daze is a very good lockdown feat, but it doesn't fit in the rest of the feats unless your using an aptitude weapon.

Thurbane
2010-08-10, 12:59 AM
I believe there's a Dragon magazine with something along these lines that probably lacks additional feat reqs, but the Tome of Magic version is Supernatural Opportunist and requires Supernatural Crusader (+1 attack/damage vs creatures with Su abilities).
There's one in FC II that does the same thing as Supernatural Opprotunist - Supernatural Instincts, and the only req is Combat reflexes, which is already part of this build.

Pechvarry
2010-08-10, 03:24 AM
There's one in FC II that does the same thing as Supernatural Opprotunist - Supernatural Instincts, and the only req is Combat reflexes, which is already part of this build.

FC2 delivers yet again. That's awesome.

Hirax
2010-08-10, 03:36 AM
Knockback+rampaging bull rush feats from Races of Stone

true_shinken
2010-08-10, 11:17 AM

So THAT is where it's from. Thanks.

balistafreak
2010-08-10, 11:57 AM
There are two, I seem to recall. Sudden Stunning and Stunning Surge, or something like that. The other one's decent, the other great for a charismatic character.

Sudden Stunning is the ridiculous one. For a flat 2000 gold (NOT A +X ENHANCEMENT) you can, as a swift action following a successful melee hit, force a (Reflex?) save, DC 10 + (Half your character level!) + Charisma modifier, or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. Not 1 round. 2 to 5. The battle is OVER for that poor fool.

It has Charisma-modifier/day uses, which is easily pumpable.

There's also a case you can make about handing it to someone else and having them use it again, above and beyond your charisma-modifier/day uses. So you have the party Bard swing a longsword of Sudden Stunning five or so times, then hand it to the party Paladin for another four or so uses.

Now this was all from memory (AFB) so if I'm wrong about anything, lemme know.

true_shinken
2010-08-10, 12:26 PM
Sudden Stunning is the ridiculous one.

Is it from DMG2? I think the qualities there were updates in MiC.

mcl01
2010-08-10, 12:30 PM
Stunning Surge is the one in MiC. I believe it was intended to replace Sudden Stunning, but since they're named differently, you can use either of them.

Pechvarry
2010-08-10, 01:14 PM
That always seems like "one-upping" the GM, to me. You know it's supposed to replace it, so either he knows too and won't allow the earlier version, or he doesn't know and you'll abuse that. Sorry, that's OT.

This probably won't go into a build with everything else, but there's also Born of the Three Thunders (CArc) to stun/knock a room full of people.

Thurbane
2010-08-10, 06:36 PM
Stunning Surge is the one in MiC. I believe it was intended to replace Sudden Stunning, but since they're named differently, you can use either of them.
Indeed - I'm firmly of the belief that the MIC version was intended to replaced the DMG2 version, but as you point out, they are named differently.

true_shinken
2010-08-11, 04:11 PM
Well, this character (Rufus) has Cha 12, so Sudden Stunning/Stunning Surge is not working. Any thoughts on equipment? For now, I'm only sure on greatreach bracers, a shadowstrike reach weapon and a belt of battle.

For feats, I'm thinking (remember, this is a Thug Fighter 5/Bloodhound 5):
1- Combat Reflexes
3- Stand Still
6- Supernatural Instincts
9- Mage Slayer
Fighter 2- Combat Expertise
Fighter 4- Improved Trip

My main doubt is... should I drop Mage Slayer for Knock-Down? The single bonus feat Thug Fighter loses is really hurting the build, but without those skill points the bounty hunter feel is ruined.

Pechvarry
2010-08-11, 05:31 PM
Are you going for Zhent Fighter + Imperious Command, as well?

true_shinken
2010-08-11, 05:35 PM
Are you going for Zhent Fighter + Imperious Command, as well?

Zhent Fighter sadly would lose a few skill points over straight Thug, but it fits so well I might just allow it.
Zhen Fighter 5, though, is still not so hot as Zhent Fighter 9.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-11, 05:39 PM
I would take 3 levels of Knight for the Bulwark of Defense feature.. making the area you threaten count as difficult terrain for your enemies.

true_shinken
2010-08-11, 05:44 PM
I would take 3 levels of Knight for the Bulwark of Defense feature.. making the area you threaten count as difficult terrain for your enemies.

That would be good, but it does not fit the build. I'm stuck with Fighter/Bloodhound.

Pechvarry
2010-08-11, 06:03 PM
Zhent Fighter sadly would lose a few skill points over straight Thug, but it fits so well I might just allow it.
Zhen Fighter 5, though, is still not so hot as Zhent Fighter 9.

Assuming level 3, as well, at least you get skill focus... +3 to one skill to offset the loss of 2 skill points? Odd that there's been no mention of fear for your lockdown. There must be another thread similar around where the whole intimidate/snatch trophy stuff was mentioned. Hmm.

So yeah, if you go that route, you also get 2 more fighter feats.