PDA

View Full Version : All the little kitty paws with the little kitty claws (Cat ownership thread)

Dubious Pie
2010-08-08, 05:28 PM
This is a place to share fun stories and ask questions about the wonderful adventure of cat ownership.

Here is my 2 cats:
http://i34.tinypic.com/9jpspf.jpg

To start things off:
(This is more of a cat anecdote than a story.)
I have two very large cats. The funniest thing was one time when one of them jumped down from the counter, landing on the floor, making a loud thud. The cat was so scared by his own thud that he leaped up in the air, and make a thud again, and leaped again. This happened on the order of four times.

Volthawk
2010-08-09, 03:30 AM
I've got two cats, still kittens. The first two pictures are from quite a while back, around the end of last year. The last two are more recent (can't remember how recent, though)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/LBF-Volthawk/29112009072.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/LBF-Volthawk/26112009029.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/LBF-Volthawk/24042010016.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/LBF-Volthawk/03052010061.jpg

They're brother and sister.

Archonic Energy
2010-08-09, 03:56 AM
may i be the first to say...

Soft kitty,
Warm kitty
Little ball of fur
Happy kitty
Sleepy kitty
purr, purr, purr.
:smallamused:

Also @^ dude, your kitty looks stoned!

Lord Loss
2010-08-09, 06:03 AM
I has a siamese cat. But I don't use a digital camera. So you can just imagine him.

He looks more like a tonkanese with the colors of a siamese. He has a slightly split ear from getting into a fight... with a Raccoon! And I seem to be the only person that he likes even when I'm not feeding him. He one popped out of the basement to attack whoever was there, saw it was me, did a 180 and fell down a good few steps (but they were carpeted).

@Volthawk

Seriously though, what are your kitties on?

Asta Kask
2010-08-09, 09:26 AM
Catnip. Industrial-strength catnip...

I have a black cat who is the most talkative cat I've ever met. He's always meowing, chirping, or making some other strange noise, except when he sleeps. His brother (who lives with my Mom) never talks, so perhaps my cat stole all the talk-genes. Castor (my cat) also has huge canines, visible even when he has his mouth shut, and very long, strong claws. *sigh* I had a sofa once...

onthetown
2010-08-09, 09:45 AM
I have a cat and my mother owns a cat. They're little beasts. My cat will hurl herself against doors and windows in the middle of the night to be let in and out and in and out and in and out; my mother's cat prefers to stay inside so she just climbs all over you when you're sleeping and pokes you with her claws periodically when she lies down.

My mom's cat is scared of her own shadow and very nervous; she was found in the middle of a hurricane at the barn where I used to board my horse. She and her brother were hiding inside a crook of a tree trunk, alive, while their mother and another kitten were found dead outside in a cardboard box nearby. We took her home as the owners of the property only wanted her brother (they know a vet who castrates males for free). She was very tiny, likely not old enough to be away from her mother, and we were constantly tripping over her until she grew up into the gigantic mass of black fur that she is now. We assume this is why she's so bloody... stupid. I've never met a duller cat. She's very friendly and sweet, but over the years she's proven herself to have a very, very low IQ. Though sometimes she wisens up and makes us think that it's just an act... :smallamused:

My cat was bought from a pet shop when she was three months old as a Christmas present for me. They told us she was a boy, and we kept thinking that until the vet who fixed her told us otherwise. She's a hunter, unlike my mother's, and we constantly have dead things on our doorstep. She follows me everywhere, sleeps with me, goes for walks with me in the forest (just trots along at my heels like a well-trained dog)... We are teh bestest friends. She hates my mother's cat, since my cat was here first (she's older than my mother's by two years).

So here they are (the black one is my mother's, the orange one is mine) --

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs121.snc3/16832_431718605001_722260001_10513217_5824171_n.jp g
And an older one of Whisk and me (my hair is much longer now) --
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs444.ash1/24466_10150183943910002_722260001_11814256_3368677 _n.jpg

Asta Kask
2010-08-09, 03:51 PM
Cat + Ping-pong ball = hours of fun

Marnath
2010-08-09, 04:57 PM
Cat + Ping-pong ball = hours of fun

Really? mine played with it for about 80 secs, then she bit it and it crumpled. No more fun. Also, one of my two kitties is also a big talker, none of us have ever heard of a cat who "talks" this much. Every night she tries to catch the hole in the drywall where a hook used to be, she is convinced that it is a bug she can't quite reach. Makes quite a racket, especially when she overbalances and flops onto my power strip.... BBEEeoooww----- goes the computer. Darn it Skinny :smallfurious: i was trying to post!

Asta Kask
2010-08-09, 05:29 PM
Really? mine played with it for about 80 secs, then she bit it and it crumpled. No more fun.

Mine just bats it with his paws - he never moves in for the kill.

Bhu
2010-08-09, 05:46 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KITTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though my family have been devoted cat owners for generations. Now that the apartment I live in has loosened it's rules I may once again carry on teh tradition and rescue some needy kitties from the humane society.

I'd have to say our favorite cat was Tabby, a mixed orange and white kitty. he weighed about 25 lbs and loved everyone. Even dogs.

Karoht
2010-08-09, 05:58 PM
I have an odd kitten.
She's a year old. Still tiny tiny cat. Her name is Chidori. We got her as a rescue, I think we got her at 3 weeks old.
So Chidori has an odd little behavior. When I go to the bathroom and sit down on the toilet, holy crap it's love time. She comes over, she purrs, she rubs away at my feet, and she really wants my attention and pets right now.
Funny thing, we experimented with this. If I just sit down on the toilet, and I don't use the facilities, she knows it is a ruse, and doesn't come near me. Weird right?

Well, it seems like bathroom time is the only time she'll accept attention. If she decides to hop into my lap, the minute you pet her she runs away. But while she's in my lap she'll paw at me or rub or mew at me for attention.

She's a strange one. Mostly gets along with the other cats of the house though.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-09, 09:57 PM
I would have a cat, but my parents don't like them and my mom is allergic.

So I work with the kittens and puppies at the animal shelter (A kitten perching on your shoulder or head and nibbling your hair or ear is a great conversation starter for potential adopters; I've gotten quite a few kittens adopted this way.), or the cats at the vet where I intern a few times a week (One of them is almost dog-like; he's extremely friendly and nonchalant and will go right up to you and play with, then sleep on, your sneaker while purring extremely loudly.)

_Zoot_
2010-08-09, 10:07 PM
As someone that has always wanted a cat, but never been able to get one because they would most likely eat all the other pets that we own (lizards, birds, fish and the frogs, but I don't think that they would have much luck with the dogs) I wanted to ask a question:

Can cats be trained (or raised) not to eat things like birds? Or is it something that can not be avoided? I ask because I am seriously considering getting a cat when I move out from my parents home...

THAC0
2010-08-09, 10:08 PM
My cat was a shelter-kitty, but we think he's got some bengal in him. He's a large cat, 15lbs with no fat on him. He frequently unlocks and opens the dishwasher, but his best trick was a few months ago. He'd gotten annoying, wanting attention in the middle of the night and trying to get this by going into the litterbox room (adjacent to the bedroom) and slamming furniture against the wall. So I closed him out of that room, figuring he could go a few hours without the box.

One night I woke up to the sound of crinkling paper. Eventually I hauled myself out of bed to see what was going on. He'd gotten a newspaper, spread part of it out, put the rest around the sides, and was taking a poo right in the middle of his new "litterbox." :smallsigh:

THAC0
2010-08-09, 10:10 PM
Can cats be trained (or raised) not to eat things like birds? Or is it something that can not be avoided? I ask because I am seriously considering getting a cat when I move out from my parents home...

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. You might get a cat that has no interest in such things. But that's not reliable, and isn't a guarantee that one day they'll just grab it. It's an instinctual behavior that has been in place for a long, long, long time. Just like you can't train a husky out of wanting to run and pull, you can't train a cat out of eating small animals.

_Zoot_
2010-08-09, 10:55 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. You might get a cat that has no interest in such things. But that's not reliable, and isn't a guarantee that one day they'll just grab it. It's an instinctual behavior that has been in place for a long, long, long time. Just like you can't train a husky out of wanting to run and pull, you can't train a cat out of eating small animals.

Drat. Anyway, I thought that I would ask...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-09, 11:08 PM
I have a female cat, which is odd because she's a female dog, if you catch my drift. Anyways, she's the type of cat that will come up to love you, and you are allowed to pet her for approx. 10 seconds before you get nipped or scratched.

I found her as a kitten in a thicket of poison ivy in the middle of nowhere where my parents were going to be building their house. Her temperament never improved.

I've known many cats, as well as 15 at parents farm, my sisters have another 4 between them, and never met a cat like this one.

She is some kind of evil feline queen that tolerates me and sees all others as potential corpses. I think she would do well as Mr. Scruffy's mistress.

I named her Mysrra after the race of religious fanatic catfolk in a MUD I used to play.

Moments before she leaped up to draw blood for me snapping my fingers to get her attention.

http://i38.tinypic.com/10nbbq0.jpg

Ponderthought
2010-08-09, 11:15 PM
I have a cat. We call him Match, as he matches the hardwood floor and the dog. I believe he might be a serial killer. Cats hunt small animals yes, but I havent seen any cats that kill their prey by biting open their skulls and leaving them in the exact same spot every time.

Dubious Pie
2010-08-09, 11:23 PM
One of my cats have fangs so big that they are visible when his mouth is closed.

Drolyt
2010-08-09, 11:39 PM
I have a cat that I found when she was a kitten and I was only a little kid, just entering preschool. I'm not sure whether she came from the local cat colony (whom we occasionally fed, which was probably a bad idea since one of them started living on our back porch and had a bunch of kittens) or was abandoned. I named her Toty Toes (I was a weird kid). I don't have a camera, but she has black fur on top and white fur on bottom and green eyes that glow in the dark. She is very intelligent, we try to keep her as an indoor cat (the alley was full of dangers including animals and cars) but when she was younger she figured out how to open doors and cupboards so we always had to lock them and then she would hide and try to get out whenever anyone opened a door. She was also very good at hiding and loved to steal human food whenever we weren't looking, literally jumping onto the table and eating off our plates, and we were never very successful in teaching her not to do that. She has weird tastes too, she would eat raisins and other fruit. I don't really mind letting her have meat, since I figure that's what she would eat in the wild, but we don't let her have anything else besides her cat food. Lately she's had trouble with furballs so we don't let her have human food very often. She's absolutely adorable and seems to have some rudimentary understanding of language, at the very least she is very good with names (if we say the name of someone she knows she will look at them or go to them) and some nouns (she seems to understand "food" and "dinner" best) and she even seems to understand some verbs.

Marnath
2010-08-10, 12:08 AM
One night I woke up to the sound of crinkling paper. Eventually I hauled myself out of bed to see what was going on. He'd gotten a newspaper, spread part of it out, put the rest around the sides, and was taking a poo right in the middle of his new "litterbox." :smallsigh:

O.o OMG.... smart kitty is smart. I wouldn't think a cat would plan that out like that, too complicated an idea.

Drolyt
2010-08-10, 12:13 AM
O.o OMG.... smart kitty is smart. I wouldn't think a cat would plan that out like that, too complicated an idea.

Nah, cats are smart. My cat has never done that, but she has built herself a bed before. She has also been known to fetch stuff she thinks we want and she meows whenever she wants something and even tries to show us what she wants in creative ways. She's even figured out how to turn the tv on and is kind of obsessed with this automatic light she figured out she could turn on by walking past it.

Bhu
2010-08-10, 01:39 AM

I've known cats who could open doors, cupboards, and even refrigerators. Some cats are very smart indeed. My grandma's cat was a fuzzy alarm clock. She set her alarm to get her up the same time every day, and if it ever failed he woke her up on time somehow.

Granted the first thing she did every day was feed him...

Volthawk
2010-08-10, 04:47 AM
My girl, Lolly (the darker one), seems to bite as a sign of affection. You'll be giving here a big fuss, and then she'll start lightly biting your fingers.

Asta Kask
2010-08-10, 08:22 AM
Drat. Anyway, I thought that I would ask...

Odds are better if you get a male cat. Female cats are better and more powerful hunters - the urge is stronger. Probably also better odds if you get certain purebreeds. But there are no definitives.

Asta Kask
2010-08-10, 09:21 AM
What are little cats made of?
What are little cats made of?
Claws and fur
and teeth and purr
That's what little cats are made of.

Castaras
2010-08-10, 09:26 AM
Used to have a cat. Her name was Cleocatra (or Cleo). She was never the most intelligent of cats, and was also rather small and grumpy all the time - especially when she got older. She'd go absolutely wild over springy wire at any age. In her old age especially, she'd get "bored" when you're petting her or stroking her for a while, and will savage you for no reason whatsoever.

Never much of a birder, very much a mouser (although she wasn't that great with that... she was sleeping in her catbed [for once :O], got out, mum picked up catbed to clean it, and there was a mouse wide awake and happy underneath the bed), and didn't like other cats. When I was a baby though apparently she'd pester mum if I was crying[Your kitten's crying! Your kitten's crying! D:], and drop dead mice outside my bedroom door to teach me to hunt.

*sigh* I miss her still. :smallfrown:

Timberwolf
2010-08-10, 12:06 PM
I'm not a cat owner personally, but if I ever get a pet, it will be a cat. I really want an Egyptian Mau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dX4MqR2J_4), basically a mini, affectionate leopard that does all the crazy things cats do and doesn't moult really long hairs.

druid91
2010-08-10, 12:10 PM
Cats are awesome, unfortunately my dads/mine remains with his ex-girlfriend. He was an incredible little buddy, He did not like the outside though, we could leave the door wide open and he would sit there at the door looking out, and would not leave, we actually dropped him in the snow once and he went inside shook himself off and sat on my coat.

Lord Loss
2010-08-10, 12:12 PM
My kitty is a roleplayer. He was lying one the top part of the sofa and I put a D20 in fron of him. He'd then bat it down with his paw. I'd put it back up. repeat. My Kitteh also loves paper airplanes. I make them, pitch em, he hunts them down and... ATTACK OF TEH KITTEH!

druid91
2010-08-10, 12:21 PM
My dad/my cat would try to read, my dad would say "Ozzie! mail." and put the letter on the floor, the cat would sit on it and look at the page from side to side like he was trying to figure out what it meant.

Drolyt
2010-08-10, 12:52 PM
As someone that has always wanted a cat, but never been able to get one because they would most likely eat all the other pets that we own (lizards, birds, fish and the frogs, but I don't think that they would have much luck with the dogs) I wanted to ask a question:

Not as a general rule, no. Cats who grow up with other animals, however, generally make an exception for them. If you really care about your other pets I wouldn't rely on it, but I've known cats to put up with birds and rabbits that they grew up with. Instant you add another animal the cat isn't familiar with though, that animal is dead.

My kitty is a roleplayer. He was lying one the top part of the sofa and I put a D20 in fron of him. He'd then bat it down with his paw. I'd put it back up. repeat. My Kitteh also loves paper airplanes. I make them, pitch em, he hunts them down and... ATTACK OF TEH KITTEH!
My cat once jumped on the map during a session of D&D. My cat isn't huge, but given the scale of the miniatures it must have looked pretty huge to the characters. I tried to incorporate it into the story, but my players would have none of that.

Pyrian
2010-08-10, 12:56 PM
"And then an enormous feline monstrosity strolled through the castle, smashing the walls and knocking both forces aside indiscriminately as it passed overhead..." has been a fairly regular occurrence in almost every D&D game I've ever played. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-08-10, 01:48 PM
"And then an enormous feline monstrosity strolled through the castle, smashing the walls and knocking both forces aside indiscriminately as it passed overhead..." has been a fairly regular occurrence in almost every D&D game I've ever played. :smalltongue:

Your campaigns sound awesome :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-08-10, 01:58 PM
cats are my favorite creatures. Unfortunately after the last one did not come back from going outside, I don't want to get another one, fearing that they might also not come back from going outside.

Drolyt
2010-08-10, 02:04 PM
cats are my favorite creatures. Unfortunately after the last one did not come back from going outside, I don't want to get another one, fearing that they might also not come back from going outside.

Don't let your next cat outside?

Marillion
2010-08-10, 03:34 PM
I have a cat. We call him Match, as he matches the hardwood floor and the dog. I believe he might be a serial killer. Cats hunt small animals yes, but I havent seen any cats that kill their prey by biting open their skulls and leaving them in the exact same spot every time.

My first cat Loki was crazy. Not like, "Oh, my cat is CRAZY lol", but as in "We, the jury, find the defendant..."

One time he brought home a bird and wanted to show it to us so we'd be proud of him. But we could see him clearly through the screen door, and made it very clear he wasn't getting in with a bird in his mouth. So he started slamming the bird into the screen door.

Another time, he managed to hide a cicada in his mouth so we would let him in with it. As soon as he was in, he spat it out, ate one of its wings, and watched it spin in circles on the floor for an hour.

And another time, he flayed a mouse alive. I don't know how or why; All I know is when I woke up there was mouse skin over here, and quivering twitching mouse minus skin over there, and Loki sitting on my chest, staring at me as if to say "Praise my hunting skills or so help me YOU'RE NEXT."

Lord Raziere
2010-08-10, 04:54 PM
Don't let your next cat outside?

what if they want to go outside?

Drolyt
2010-08-10, 05:00 PM
what if they want to go outside?
They make kitty leashes, they are full body suits because a neck collar would just slip off and not all cats tolerate them, but if you are worried about Kitty's safety it is your best bet.

Lord Loss
2010-08-11, 06:08 AM
They make kitty leashes, they are full body suits because a neck collar would just slip off and not all cats tolerate them, but if you are worried about Kitty's safety it is your best bet.

We got a Kitty Collar which my cat hated, although it was only a collar and nothing more. he is now an outdoor cat who fights (and beats) all the cats on the block. Except for one cat that he spends all his time with (they so cute!!!).

Drolyt
2010-08-11, 03:15 PM
We got a Kitty Collar which my cat hated, although it was only a collar and nothing more. he is now an outdoor cat who fights (and beats) all the cats on the block. Except for one cat that he spends all his time with (they so cute!!!).

The back alley near my house was full of stray cats, and they were tough. They were known to kill possums and raccoons that dared to mess with them. My little Toty certainly wasn't allowed to go out there, but if the area you live in is safer then that's different.

Asta Kask
2010-08-11, 03:20 PM

I live next to a forest, and I know there's foxes around here. There are also cars, although not that many. Still, I let my cat outside because it means so much to him. Sometimes you just have to take risks. And whoever gets a pet also gets a grief. Someday the food will go untouched, the water will go stale... but its worth it in the long run.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-11, 05:29 PM
I have 3 cats (I'll post pics later).

Rookie: 7 years old, big fluffy black and white Maine Coone. He's really laid back, likes to go outside (on a leash), and is a hunter.

Calvin: 4 years old, small tan stripey kitteh, possibly American Shorthair. He also loves to go outside (on a leash) and hunt, but is always trying to escape. Once killed a bird out of the air.

Hobbes: 4 years old, black striped kitteh, possibly British Shorthair. He hides under my bed all day because he is terrified of my extremely loud, "OMG KITTY COME HERE I WANT TO HUG YOU AND PET YOU" sister.

Bhu
2010-08-11, 10:15 PM
Hobbes is the smart one :smallbiggrin:

nihilism
2010-08-11, 10:21 PM
i was just visiting a friend who has 2 kittens i quickly realized that there main interest was string or any long object i was first clawed repeatedly when they jumped for my headphone cable (ow). they then realized that my shorts had a drawstring. eventually i rid myself of all stringlike thingies however my friend found all of this amusing and started mercilessly brushing a long feather against me. ouch!

DMGreg
2010-08-12, 10:35 AM
I love cats. I'm a grown man but I coo and make cutesy noises and go awww with the best of them when I see a kitty. Growing up, most pets were out of the question due to allergies so, though I love cats, I'd never had one. That all changed one glorious day when my in-laws (who live on a goat farm and have 30+ farm cats) called to talk to us about this one poor little kitty.

You see, she had blue eyes as a kitten, and that typically means they're deaf, blind, or both. She was definitely the runt of the litter, and she had a bad cold that would likely kill her if left untreated. My in-laws already had two cats and my father-in-law didn't want a third. My wife, at my mother-in-law's urging, called and gave her best "but daddy" voice. Not only did it work, but they in-laws kitty her shots and had her front claws removed for us (surgically at the joint, not the lop-off-the-paw kind). I even got to pick her name! Freyja, for the Norse goddess.

Funny story. We found out that Freyja loves cream cheese when, at about a month and a half old, she ate a tablespoon or so of cream cheese icing from my Red Velvet birthday cake. Yeah, that was a fun night... With all the sugar, she went psycho. I was convinced I had managed to kill my new kitten after only a few weeks of having her. She survived, of course, but she still loves anything with cream cheese. See exhibit A, from a few months later when she got into my wife's cream cheese and sour cream veggie dip:

http://theszramas.net/sites/default/files/images/Freyja%20Likes%20Cream%20Cheese%20(July%202009).pr eview.jpg

Here are some other cute pictures of her:

http://theszramas.net/sites/default/files/images/Freyja%20New%20Toy.preview.JPG
http://theszramas.net/sites/default/files/images/DSCN2149.preview.JPG

She's still just a little thing, weighing about 5 pounds when dripping wet. And she's my kitty. ^.^

Edit: I see others have issues around their D&D table with their cats... we've taught Freyja not to get on the coffee table, where my gaming mat goes, but that doesn't stop her from trying to swipe dice or from pouncing on any minis that happen to hit the floor....

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-12, 11:38 AM
I was planning on starting a new thread, but then I spotted this rather appropriate one, so I thought I'd ask my questions here.

Basically, I'm planning on getting a cat when I move in to my new place. I never had a cat while I was living at home, and I thought it would be a bad idea at uni, as the landlords tend to get annoyed about that, and I was moving house each year anyway. I helped look after a stray that used to wander around the student houses that my housemate ... kittynapped, to be honest, but I don't have any real experience, and I have no idea how much it will likely cost, both initially, and as a continued expense.

So, any advice for a first time cat owner?

In b4 jokes about the cat owning me

Sholos
2010-08-12, 12:44 PM
I'm just going to drop this link here.

http://www.declawing.com/

As far as advice for a first-time cat owner goes, expect the cat to get into stuff that's not locked away. It's going to happen, and getting angry with the cat doesn't help. Also, don't expect a huggable creature from the start. Some cats are, some definitely aren't. Every cat is different. When looking to adopt (and I definitely recommend adopting), go for the playful cheery ones. You don't want the one that shies away all the time or just sits in the back every time you see it. You want the ones that are eager for attention and play.

Very important note. Don't get your cat used to playing with hands. Not even with socks or gloves on. They'll start thinking of hands as toys, and that leads to all manner of unpleasantness. Hands are for petting, not playing. Also, don't be afraid to hiss at your cat if he/she starts playing with your hands. They'll get the message.

Drolyt
2010-08-12, 12:52 PM
I'm just going to drop this link here. http://www.declawing.com/
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but I definitely agree. Despite the fact that my cat thinks my hands are toys.

DMGreg
2010-08-12, 12:54 PM
I'm just going to drop this link here.

http://www.declawing.com/

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of declawing. I've even read the linked site before. The type of declawing it seems they're referring to is the sort where a type of mini-guillotine is used to lop off the end of each of your cat's toes. I agree that is a Bad Thing™. The form of declawing performed by the farm vet up in PA was the version where they surgically cut the claw portion at the joint so it doesn't regrow, leaving the toes fully intact. If that's still too much for you, well, we'll just have to agree, as reasonable people, to disagree on the topic. :smalltongue:

Also to be clear -- she remains inside 100% of the time, except when travelling or on walks when she is on a leash. Further, it was her front claws only, leaving her back claws intact for balance and cleaning and etc.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-12, 01:29 PM
Another time, he managed to hide a cicada in his mouth so we would let him in with it. As soon as he was in, he spat it out, ate one of its wings, and watched it spin in circles on the floor for an hour.

I hate Cicadas and want a cat. How much could I buy this Loki for?

Drolyt
2010-08-12, 01:31 PM
If that's still too much for you, well, we'll just have to agree, as reasonable people, to disagree on the topic. :smalltongue:
I don't think we should argue about the morality of cat clawing on this forum, but I just want to point out that this is a dangerous attitude. For those of us who see declawing (and other practices such as debarking) as animal abuse there is no "agree to disagree", that would be like agreeing to disagree about whether it is okay to rape or murder. If you honestly believe an act is cruel and evil tolerating it for the sake of civility just makes you a part of the problem. That said this isn't the place to discuss it so this is my last word on the subject.

Marillion
2010-08-12, 01:32 PM
He decided not to come home after a couple years. If you can find him, and you can catch him without severe dismemberment, he's yours.

Quincunx
2010-08-12, 03:21 PM
I hate Cicadas and want a cat. How much could I buy this Loki for?

One cicada per hour is not the kill rate you want. You want a cat whose joy is in catching the cicadas and/or eating them immediately*, with a kill rate of many cicadas per hour. Sadly, that huntress is several years dead, but the cicada population has yet to rebound from her depredations. :smallwink:

*Yes, it means cleaning up cicada hairballs, but I can deal with 'dead, part-digested, and immobile' with more sang-froid than 'alive and hovering just fast and high enough to snag my hems'.

Asta Kask
2010-08-12, 04:26 PM
If I am gone for too long, my cat scolds me when I come home. He meows loudly and annoyedly and walks away when I try to approach him. He shows very clearly that I am no good as a human or as a mother*.

*there's a certain amount of confusion on that part. I haven't told him he's adopted.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-12, 04:38 PM
As far as advice for a first-time cat owner goes, expect the cat to get into stuff that's not locked away. It's going to happen, and getting angry with the cat doesn't help. Also, don't expect a huggable creature from the start. Some cats are, some definitely aren't. Every cat is different. When looking to adopt (and I definitely recommend adopting), go for the playful cheery ones. You don't want the one that shies away all the time or just sits in the back every time you see it. You want the ones that are eager for attention and play.

Very important note. Don't get your cat used to playing with hands. Not even with socks or gloves on. They'll start thinking of hands as toys, and that leads to all manner of unpleasantness. Hands are for petting, not playing. Also, don't be afraid to hiss at your cat if he/she starts playing with your hands. They'll get the message.

I had been thinking of adopting - partly ethical, mostly financial reasons :p. I didn't know about the getting handsy thing. By playing, d'you mean the play fighting thing? I normally used a sock on a string with the uni cat.

Bhu
2010-08-12, 05:38 PM
One of my friends has a psycho cat named Sybil that likes to perch on his shoulder and nap while we game. She seems fascinated b board games and occasionally meows at him when he moves a piece. We usually end up giggling and telling him she thought he made a mistake.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-12, 05:53 PM
As promised: pix of Rookie, Calvin and Hobbes! (warning: HUGE! I have no idea how to decrease the size.)

Rookie:http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3324/img0563ax.jpg

Calvin:http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9011/img0497z.jpg

Hobbes:http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/121/img0755xl.jpg

Drolyt
2010-08-12, 08:56 PM
If I am gone for too long, my cat scolds me when I come home. He meows loudly and annoyedly and walks away when I try to approach him. He shows very clearly that I am no good as a human or as a mother*.

*there's a certain amount of confusion on that part. I haven't told him he's adopted.

My cat wouldn't let me near her for like two weeks after I came home from college for the first time. Part of the reason I'm now going to a local college.

Sholos
2010-08-13, 02:14 AM
I had been thinking of adopting - partly ethical, mostly financial reasons :p. I didn't know about the getting handsy thing. By playing, d'you mean the play fighting thing? I normally used a sock on a string with the uni cat.

Anything that brings your hands into contact with his paws in a "play" manner. That includes petting that turns into play; a solid hiss possibly accompanied by a very light bop on the nose generally gets the message across.

A sock on a string sounds like a good idea. Things with feathers tend to work, too, though they can have a short lifespan. Basically, you want a toy that your cat can grab and rip and bite on; that, unless you're a masochist, does not include your hands.

2010-08-13, 11:52 PM

cats can be trained. to like birds? it might come down to genetics. you might have to start really really early, getting a generally docile cat is good, getting it early is even better, then raise it with the critters, let it into their cages when theyre still the same size (keep an eye on your kitten to make sure he/she is safe)

Danne
2010-08-15, 09:53 PM

My girls do this after I get home from being away at school. Emily meows at me (reads: scolds me) for the first few minutes after she sees me. It's very cute. :smallsmile: Tiger doesn't meow much, but she follows me around the house and sits next to me (she's not a lap cat) whenever I sit down to read or something. My mom says that when I'm gone, she periodically walks into my room, looks around, and glares at my mom. Wish I could see that!

Of course, this is the same cat who routinely stands on top of her scratching post (~4 inch diameter) and chases her tail. She's a little bit nuts. I love her for it.

Niasen
2010-08-16, 12:16 AM
My family is in ardent denial over the whole thing, but we love cats (well, my immediate family of my mother, father, and I anyway). We have had a total of 5 cats so far, 2 which have sadly passed away, and I have so many stories about them all I could fill a page of posts. I'll just start with one of the cats, MY cat Tris.

I have some pics of her, but sadly not on this computer right now, I'll try to get some up and running eventually. Tris is a medium sized medium haired cat, grey on top and white on bottom with a line of white running up between her eyes. When I say she is my cat, EVERYONE agree's to this point that knows her. My dad used to try and say that "cats never get attached to specific people"...yeah, well she's been proving him wrong since I first met her. I got her at the vets, their was a litter of kittens they had rescued and they were looking for good homes for them, we had just lost one of our older cats (A very nice cat named Remus) so my mom thought it would be nice to check them out with me. Well they were all kept in a cage that opened out to the front, and I quietly sat down in front of it, not wanting to scare them, and let them open it up so I could get a good look. Before I can blink, a ball of fur comes bounding out into my lap and hides herself their, her only recognition to the outside world was eyes saying "MINE!" and she wouldn't get up. Needless to say I didn't really need to keep looking any, and so far that first interaction is kind of the relationship between us, she views me as HER property, and I kinda sit their and take it lol.

Proof positive of this fact was when I was away several years ago at a friends house for a few days and I called my parents to tell them how I was doing, I got the answering machine. My mom played the machine while the cat was lying down asleep on my dads lap as she's been moping about. Suddenly she leaps out of his lap, runs to the machine, and starts looking
around mewing loudly. She has since then figured out that its just a machine and won't keep looking around pitifully, but she STILL gets up to give a quick check, and if I walk in the house she makes sure that I KNOW I've been neglecting her and I should change that.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-16, 08:17 AM
Calvin just gave me quite the shock. Apparently, while I was still sleeping, he snuck (which is a real word, Firefox!) out of the house and into the neighbor's soybean crop.

After a while though, I managed to find him, hiding 2 feet away from the edge of the plants.

Lord Loss
2010-08-16, 08:38 AM
My kitty brought backs a dead mousie for the first time today!

Asta Kask
2010-08-16, 08:46 AM
Make sure you thank him - it's a present!

Sholos
2010-08-16, 12:21 PM
And by 'present', it means that he thinks you don't know how to hunt and need to learn. :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2010-08-16, 12:58 PM
Yeah, you're basically a nice person but a fairly sucky cat. When was the last time you licked your groin to get clean?

Don't answer that.

SP Ninja
2010-08-16, 01:12 PM
CATS!!! :smallbiggrin:

My siblings and I have four between us. One of mine, named Snuggles, does all kinds of funny tricks for attention. High fives, fist bumps (paw bumps?), and playing fetch to name a few.

Asta Kask
2010-08-16, 03:02 PM
CATS!!! :smallbiggrin:

My siblings and I have four between us are owned by four of them. One of mine my masters, named Snuggles, does all kinds of funny tricks for attention demeans himself to play with me. High fives, fist bumps (paw bumps?), and playing fetch to name a few.

FTFY :smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2010-08-16, 03:34 PM
My kitty brought backs a dead mousie for the first time today!

Wait'll he starts dropping off Garter Snakes...

Asta Kask
2010-08-18, 01:25 PM
There are fiercely independent cats, who merely stop by the house for some food and water before leaving again. And then there's my cat.

I've been working today. I was gone for many hours! So when I come home he greets me with a cold stare and upset meowings. After ca 30 minutes he forgave me, but then had to spend an hour lying on my stomach, kneading and telling me just how horrible his day had been without me.

It's a bit like having a housewife, except he doesn't cook or clean, and I don't have sex with him. So, not at all like a housewife. Still, it's pretty flattering. :smallbiggrin:

Supagoof
2010-08-18, 02:13 PM
My cat, Squish (yes, her name is Squish the cat), has learned how to play marco polo. She meows at night when my wife and I head to bed and the lights are off. We reply with polo and listen as she gets closer. It's amusing, as she's not normally a vocal cat. We've renamed the game Meowco polo.

She also plays fetch with her mouse toys. You throw one, she'll bring it back. I'm not sure if it's to prove she's better then the dogs or not. Though it makes an amusing story to hear when she stayed at my brothers place for the weekend (while we were on vaca) and he woke up to her fetching a tyou mouse and dropping it on him while he slept.

Though in his house, the mice weren't toys.....:smallamused:

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-19, 12:27 AM
CAT STORIES

1. I used to have a cat named Moppet. When I was a little kid, she was my favorite cat ever. She was this little black and white cat and had discovered that the best place in the world to curl up was on my pillow, AROUND my head. Like a fuzzy, warm, purring hat. She was very punctual and if my dad was late getting me to bed she would come and glare at him.

2. I used to have a cat named Spooky. She was deaf and old and tended to sleep in the corner by the heating vent. Visitors often did not notice her at all. However, sometimes at night, she'd meow. But the meow of a cat that cannot hear sounded like a cat lamenting its fate from the depths of hell. The long, haunting "MROEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUU GH" sound created most amusing expressions on the faces of friends who spent the night.

3. I used to have a cat named Tom. Tom showed up one winter, and decided our garage was a good place to live. Over time, we adopted him completely. Tom was a big cat, and he had an interesting habit. If he wanted to go out, he would sit by the door and wait for you to go by, at which point he'd drive his claws through your clothes exactly up to the skin, so that you were unharmed but aware that he could change that at any moment.

Not long after Tom showed up, he had his back shattered in a duel with the neighbor's enormous dog. He dragged himself home and we took him to the vet. He would never regain the full use of his hind legs. He never needed to; he was too manly for legs. He took to dragging himself everywhere on his front paws. He never appeared to be hindered by this at all; on one occasion he walked up to me and dropped a baby rabbit at my feet. The baby rabbit then hopped away. He would also beat up any neighbor cats who came into our yard with his enormous muscles in his front paws.

He was basically Saxton Hale in cat form.

4. My current cat we adopted. We found her at the city mill while buying rat food for my pet rats. Apparently she'd been left out in the traditional "FREE KITTENS" box. The weather had not been pleasant.

Now she fears and yearns for the wild. She'll spend days staring out the window, and lately has taken to demanding to be let out. However, she won't go more than three or four feet away from the door, and if anyone closes the door she starts mewling pitifully and constantly. Loud noises cause her to bolt back inside. Quiet noises do too, come to think of it.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-19, 01:23 AM
My cat died last year. :/ His name was Quincy. He was a Russian Blue.
/depressing

Drolyt
2010-08-19, 01:54 AM
My cat likes Gouda Cheese. She would kill for it. She especially likes the rind for some reason. She goes nuts whenever I make a toasted sub (it has smoked turkey, smoked Gouda, and hickory smoked bacon, yet all she wants is the cheese). I don't give her too much since I don't know how good it is for her.

Lioness
2010-08-19, 07:06 AM
This is my kitty:

NOM: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs378.snc4/46168_1503703106671_1057025098_1424498_7029216_n.j pg

Fatty: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs195.ash2/45772_1503703506681_1057025098_1424500_6694307_n.j pg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs198.ash2/46168_1503703146672_1057025098_1424499_1182811_n.j pg

BOO: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs388.snc4/45158_1503703626684_1057025098_1424502_741547_n.jp g

Volthawk
2010-08-19, 07:07 AM
This is my kitty:

NOM: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs378.snc4/46168_1503703106671_1057025098_1424498_7029216_n.j pg

Your cat can go through walls?

Lioness
2010-08-19, 07:10 AM
Your cat can go through walls?

*nod*

He takes after me - he's quite the ninja.

Actually, that's a path

Volthawk
2010-08-19, 07:12 AM
*nod*

He takes after me - he's quite the ninja.

Actually, that's a path

Oh, I see it now...

The camera was pointing down.

Note to self: Next M&M game, make a cat that can go through walls.

Pyrian
2010-08-19, 09:18 AM
Fatty: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs195.ash2/45772_1503703506681_1057025098_1424500_6694307_n.j pg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs198.ash2/46168_1503703146672_1057025098_1424499_1182811_n.j pg"I'M NOT FAT I'M THICK-FURRED!" :smallwink:

ScottishDragon
2010-08-20, 01:24 PM
I found a kitten in our neighbors driveway!!!Hopefully he isn't owned so he can be my kitty forever :D!

zmasterofjersey
2010-08-20, 02:23 PM
My sister's cat is named Booboo who is about 2 years old, hes crazy, sometimes he lays on his back and claws the carpeted stairs. You could throw a toy in the attic, with him being in the basement, and in 5 seconds he would fly up the stairs to get it. Hes also very loving and affectionate, if you sit with your legs bent, he will settle in the space where your legs aren't, and start to make bread against your legs with his claws.

My mother's cat is named Tigger, and he is about 16 years old(1 year younger than me.). Anyway, hes is just as affectionate as Booboo, but it isn't strange to wake up with him either on top of me, or curled up somewhere on my bed. Heck sometimes hes on there in the middle of the day. He is almost ALWAYS purring when I pet him, scratch his chin etc.

Danne
2010-08-21, 04:27 PM
I found a kitten in our neighbors driveway!!!Hopefully he isn't owned so he can be my kitty forever :D!

D'aww. :smallsmile: Hope you get to keep him!

We found a little Maine **** kitten this past winter -- actually, she followed a neighbor home. We wanted to keep her so bad (she's the sweetest little thing, and she spent her first night here curled up asleep on my pillow! *squee*) but our other cats threatened to revolt. We found her a good home, though! Her new person sends us pictures periodically. She's getting so big!

Edit: ...Why does the filter not like the name of a breed of cat? :smallconfused:

bluewind95
2010-08-21, 09:47 PM
I has kitty. A big, 8-year-old kitty. She thinks she's a wildcat.

She also likes to take possession of things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/bluewind95/Siberia.jpg

Strangers tend to be scared of the kitty.

Drolyt
2010-08-22, 12:49 AM
Edit: ...Why does the filter not like the name of a breed of cat? :smallconfused:
I laughed out loud when I saw that, but **** is actually a racial slur. There was another funny thread about guns where every other word was edited because it was a synonym for rooster.

Asta Kask
2010-08-22, 04:40 AM
It's a synonym for the n-word.

Danne
2010-08-22, 09:57 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw that, but **** is actually a racial slur. There was another funny thread about guns where every other word was edited because it was a synonym for rooster.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lillith
2010-08-22, 09:53 PM
I'm just gonna copy my post from the pet thread here, saves me a lot of work. =P

I currently have three cats. And well to be honest I'm a huuuuuge cat person. It's kind of sad sometimes. ^^"

The oldest one his name is Gunnar. He turned 12 last December (on the 12th!). He's got a split tongue because as a kitten he somehow managed to cut it in half. We still don't know how he did it, but we found him covered in blood. Gunnar is just a sweet old cat who has the soul privilege of leaving the house to go on a walk around the neighborhood. I sadly don't have any pictures of him as a kitten on my computer, but here are some other ones. He's a Norwegian Forest cat.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/DSC_0056.jpg
He just loves posing for the camera.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/IMG_0919.jpg
Gunnar being a sweet, but lazy, old cat.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/IMG_0936.jpg
He also loves my slippers.

Luna is my little, but moody, sweetheart. She's the only cat I've met who can't climb. When she was a kitten she couldn't even jump. She turned 3 last May and was the first 'third' cat we've had in this family. My father didn't want more then 2 cats. She's a real scaredy cat and doesn't like strangers. Luna is a British Longhair.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/DSC_0055.jpg
She was such an adorable little kitten. One big ball of fur.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/IMG_0929.jpg
She's such a gorgeous cat now.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/IMG_1049.jpg
Luna wondering why I'm pointing a camera at her.

And this is the youngest of the lot, about 1,5 now. Her name is Cleo and she's like a kid with ADHD on pure sugar (no offense). She bounces around, runs literally against the wall, but still has time to curl on your lap and cuddle with you. Her nickname is Frog Killer 2 (Luna being Frog Killer 1 in her kitten days) and Cleo is truly the MOST smartest cat I've -ever- had. Knows how to unlock doors, knows what strategies are, how to use a mirror. Also gets the concept of 'if you stay in the yard, you won't have to go inside'. It's too bad I probably will never find a cat like her again. Cleo is 3/4th Maine **** and 1/4th Turkish Angora/Ven (not sure atm she has characteristics of both)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/DSC026931.jpg
This was the picture we got from her previous owner.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/_DSC8877.jpg
This is pretty much a common occurrence around the house. When the door was removed she flew against the door like normal and then just slid down when she smacked against it. Smart but can't see debt I guess.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/photographs/House/IMG_0303.jpg
I swear she poses for the camera every single time.

And here's a picture of Loedertje, nicknamed Lulu. She's passed away for a while now, but she was -my- cat you know? Though she could be very aggressive and moody towards everybody, to me she was pretty nice.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/Jade_5/Cat%20pictures/DSC_0062.jpg
The only online photo I have of her atm.

Other cats I've had were Baloo, a white Persian cat with a grey face, tail and feet. He died of the old Persian curse of the eyes getting infected due to the flat face. We had him for a long time and he had to have one eye removed but when his second eye started to go, my mom decided that she didn't want hm to suffer through blindness. He was a really sweet cat, he was my mom's shadow.

We also had a red European shorthair named Bommel but I don't really remember him.

A year or 2-3 ago we had a 'stray' in our house, that was before Cleo got here. Her name was Joepie and she used to belong to a neighbor but they kicked her out with some lame excuse. Joepie was extremely old and seemed to have a crooked tail that had already healed up. Though touching her would hurt her a lot so we couldn't pet her unless it was on the head. Anyways, she used to hang out a lot in our street and one day she was screaming loudly when I got out of my car. I went out to check up on her and it seemed she was just craving for attention. I petted her for a while and after that she pretty much followed me around, sitting in front of the door and kept screaming until I got outside. Feeling sorry for her, my mom and I gave her food but she didn't want to come in. Food eventually to boxes with blankets on our front porch and after a couple of months she actually came inside with us. First a couple of hours, then she just stayed (which upset our other cats a bit, because they wanted to meet her, but she'd hiss and scream if they came close to her. She had a lot of pain) We took her to the vet and got her pain killers and got her checked out. This went okay for a while but then she had a relapse and the vet told us it would be best to let her go. =/ She was a sweet cat, I regret that I never took a picture of her.

Anyways, I got a lot of stories about my cats, current or present. But I'm afraid that would make the post far too long. Maybe later? ^^"

MostlyHarmless
2010-08-23, 02:43 PM
I have had many cats but I'm sure you all want to hear a good story. Yes?

I once lived in a 3rd floor apartment and one evening I heard my black and white longhair hissing something awful from the living room. I walked in to see what was up to find her facing off through the sliding glass balcony door with...a raccoon. It had climbed up the balcony supports apparently and hung around on our balcony for about 10 minutes before realizing no, I wasn't going to open the door and let it play with my kitty. Or feed it.

Currently, we have one very fat cat (Mookie), and two kittens (Milly and Mac). The kittens were both rescued kittens. Milly thinks she is a parrot and rides around on my shoulders. Mac thinks he is, well, a pretty normal cat I guess. He pounces on anything that moves.

Volthawk
2010-08-23, 04:18 PM
Turns out Lolly likes to play with pasta. Mum dropped one and she started playing with it. It was kinda funny, watching her run around, batting a piece of pasta around.

Asta Kask
2010-08-25, 08:52 AM
My Mom home came with a shopping bag. And the cat went wild, leaping at the bag and digging through it, emerging with... a bag of carrots. He expertly opened the bag, chewed the end off of a carrot and spent then next hour hunting it... batting it with his paws, pouncing on it when it wasn't aware of it, and finally killing it by holding it with his front claws and raking it with his back claws. It was an epic struggle - we all know that a wounded carrot is the most dangerous animal in the wild.

Fear the carrot.

wadledo
2010-08-25, 08:56 AM
So, Yukon come into my room list night to sleep at the end of my bed. My headphones had died, so I was listening to Gorillaz from my computers speakers.
When he heard this strange sound, he stopped in my doorway, eyes huge as he listened to this odd beat. Then, he hopped up beside me and began bobbing his head to the tune. After the song ended, he turned to me and went "MEEOOW?":smallconfused:

Gerrtt
2010-08-25, 09:07 AM
I was never really a cat person before I started dating my wife. She had two cats and they pretty much go against the typical standoffish cat stereotype so now I think they are great animals.

When we got married and finished grad school we moved to a new apartment that didn't really have a good place for a litterbox, so we decided to teach them to use the toilet instead. One of our cats uses it just fine after about 10 weeks. He just gets up there and does his thing and walks off. The other cat, that I think might just be a special needs animal because of all the really odd things she does, has a lot of difficulty with it and cant seem to get a good posture down for using the human toilet.

Pics:

Kinser, our "special needs" cat.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs148.snc4/36773_409694784124_510164124_4495269_3537625_n.jpg

Duncan, or "he who lets you know when it's 3:30 so that you aren't late giving him dinner at 6:00".
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v311/5/125/510164124/n510164124_788010_5704.jpg

Finally, one of my favorite pics of them:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v311/5/125/510164124/n510164124_787922_3171.jpg

Asta Kask
2010-08-25, 01:51 PM
Another one of mom's cats has ADD. They're currently locked in to get used to their new apartment (she just moved). But he is small and quick and sometimes escapes. And when he escapes he runs as fast as he can, thinking "I'm escaping, she won't catch me this... oooh, shiny!" And he'll see something interesting in a bush and stop dead in his tracks, allowing my mom to catch him and carry him inside. Which is just so unfair!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-26, 08:38 AM
This is depressing. At least there was a happy ending.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2010/08/23/video-cctv-catches-woman-dumping-cat-in-wheelie-bin-92746-27119057/

Bhu
2010-08-26, 12:40 PM
Apparently people are so outraged the police are having to guard her house 24/7. She claims to be a cat lover who said she'd thought it'd be a funny joke.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-26, 12:43 PM
Apparently people are so outraged the police are having to guard her house 24/7. She claims to be a cat lover who said she'd thought it'd be a funny joke.

Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is sick.

Also, do you realize just what section of the internet she just pissed off? :smalleek:

Quincunx
2010-08-26, 12:49 PM
I thought I would never see the day when a reputable news site allowed itself to include the words, "So-and-so has roused /b/ to look for real life information, and had better watch out". Unfortunately, none of their lazy comment trawlers picked up on the significance of this and posted a pastiche on The Tyranny of Mob Rule or Anonymity's Time is Done or even /B/ig /B/rother. I am disappointed and shocked and looking for their contributions editor. Should be worth an easy fifty. . .

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-26, 02:15 PM
This is depressing. At least there was a happy ending.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2010/08/23/video-cctv-catches-woman-dumping-cat-in-wheelie-bin-92746-27119057/

More proof that humanity is full of morons. :smallsigh:

Volthawk
2010-08-26, 02:16 PM

You needed more proof?

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-26, 02:34 PM
You needed more proof?

No, it just reinforced the fact.

Asta Kask
2010-08-27, 10:33 AM
When I first allowed my cat to venture outside (with me close nearby) in the new area to which I moved, he would take aim for a nearby tree and then rushing towards it, climb halfway up and then jump down. It looked for all the world as if he was practising escape routes. Perhaps he was. Perhaps he was just bored. When questioned he just looks at one with disdain and says "If you are feline, no explanation is necessary. If you are not, no one is possible."

Quincunx
2010-08-27, 02:57 PM
Ah, but by the time the cat has raced halfway up the trunk, either the bird has flown or the G-forces have equalized. In either case, expending the extra energy to continue climbing is pointless, and so in best feline fashion, energy is conserved by falling back to earth with an "I meant to do that" expression.

Asta Kask
2010-08-28, 01:01 PM
Anyone else have a cat who likes to perch on top of nest boxes?

Timberwolf
2010-08-28, 01:42 PM
I thought I would never see the day when a reputable news site allowed itself to include the words, "So-and-so has roused /b/ to look for real life information, and had better watch out". Unfortunately, none of their lazy comment trawlers picked up on the significance of this and posted a pastiche on The Tyranny of Mob Rule or Anonymity's Time is Done or even /B/ig /B/rother. I am disappointed and shocked and looking for their contributions editor. Should be worth an easy fifty. . .

Mate, if you're talking about CoffeeIncluded's link, allow me to just spread a little light on the "Reputable News Site"

The Coventry Telegraph is one of my local rags at home. It is full of uninteresting stuff and, to be honest, the only reason to read it is to see if anyone you know has gone to prison lately. It isn't exactly the BBC, Times, Independent or Guardian or even the Daily Mail or Sun. It's a local paper with, I believe, unpaid writers who send stories in.

That said, the individual in question has, yes, managed to rouse a significant portion of the internet against them.

Bhu
2010-08-28, 02:05 PM
Say what you will about Anonymous at least they like cats...

Drakevarg
2010-08-28, 03:54 PM
Mah Kitty (RIP):
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Retaw/other/kitty.jpg
I loved that cat. Beautiful girl. Unfortunately, whoever put her in the shelter we got her at lied about her age. Said she was four. Turns out it was closer to 14.

We only figured this out four years later, when we took her to the vet because of her toilet problems. After the vet found out she had a list of medical problems about two pages long, we decided to have her put down rather than force her to endure a year, at best, of pain.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-29, 06:26 AM

More moronic is the public response. Yes what she did was odd and harsh. However, the Independent was quoting some people (after explaining GIFT to the reader) as saying stuff like 'she's worse than Hitler', and suggesting she should be maimed and /or killed.

Worse than Hitler.

Really.

Drolyt
2010-08-29, 11:51 AM
More moronic is the public response. Yes what she did was odd and harsh. However, the Independent was quoting some people (after explaining GIFT to the reader) as saying stuff like 'she's worse than Hitler', and suggesting she should be maimed and /or killed.

Worse than Hitler.

Really.

People in general have no sense of proportion. They also tend to be quite vengeful. Also, Godwin's Law.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-29, 01:15 PM
True on all counts.

Is bringing up someone bringing up Hitler an example of Godwin? Or would that be like a reverse Godwin?

Drolyt
2010-08-29, 01:43 PM
True on all counts.

Is bringing up someone bringing up Hitler an example of Godwin? Or would that be like a reverse Godwin?

I don't think it counts, unless you were purposely trying to derail a thread.

Asta Kask
2010-08-29, 02:06 PM
Can we return to cat stories and cat pictures?

Lillith
2010-08-29, 02:57 PM
Can we return to cat stories and cat pictures?

So I arrived home last Friday from a 6 week vacation. During which I heard that Cleo the youngest cat was very attention needy. Usually she tagteams both my mom and me for attention, but having 50% less attention took a bit of a toll on her.

When I got home she seemed to be pissed at me and when I picked her up to cuddle her she did everything she could to squirm out of my arms. Figuring I should just leave her alone for now and went to pet the oldest, Gunnar. Apparently Cleo didn't like that and ran after me, completely forgiving me, while rubbing herself against me, purring loudly and all the other 'okay now pay attention to me' behavior.

Five seconds later she noticed the helium balloon my mom bought for me though that had a long string attached to it with a small plastic circle to keep it steady. Que Cleo running around with the string in her mouth and pulling the balloon everywhere.

Volthawk
2010-08-29, 02:59 PM
My cats apparently went on a bit of a rampage through the house last night.

CrimsonAngel
2010-08-29, 03:41 PM
So I arrived home last Friday from a 6 week vacation. During which I heard that Cleo the youngest cat was very attention needy. Usually she tagteams both my mom and me for attention, but having 50% less attention took a bit of a toll on her.

When I got home she seemed to be pissed at me and when I picked her up to cuddle her she did everything she could to squirm out of my arms. Figuring I should just leave her alone for now and went to pet the oldest, Gunnar. Apparently Cleo didn't like that and ran after me, completely forgiving me, while rubbing herself against me, purring loudly and all the other 'okay now pay attention to me' behavior.

Five seconds later she noticed the helium balloon my mom bought for me though that had a long string attached to it with a small plastic circle to keep it steady. Que Cleo running around with the string in her mouth and pulling the balloon everywhere.

My cats apparently went on a bit of a rampage through the house last night.

D'awwwww. :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2010-08-29, 05:13 PM
When I got home she seemed to be pissed at me and when I picked her up to cuddle her she did everything she could to squirm out of my arms. Figuring I should just leave her alone for now and went to pet the oldest, Gunnar. Apparently Cleo didn't like that and ran after me, completely forgiving me, while rubbing herself against me, purring loudly and all the other 'okay now pay attention to me' behavior.Ah, cats. :smallbiggrin: They're so... Catty. :smallwink:

Eadin
2010-08-29, 05:32 PM
I used to work at an animal shelter.
I was in charge of cleaning the "cat room" every day.
So every day when I started my shift, the cats would be waiting at the door.
While I was cleaning, they took turns jumping on and of my back.
When I was done cleaning, they jumped on my lap for cuddles.:smallbiggrin:
They were awesome.

Lord Loss
2010-08-30, 07:06 AM

So... cute... :smallsmile:

Gerrtt
2010-08-30, 08:34 AM
Anyone else have a cat who likes to perch on top of nest boxes?

My cat Kinser does. She likes to sit on new things in her environment. Once I brought home a new table that was still in the box from the store. I put the box down in the living room and went to get the tools to put it together. I came back less than 20 seconds later and she was perched in the middle of the box.

Or when I take my guitar case out of the closet to play she sits on the highest parts of it. I look at it like how little kids climb on stuff just to climb on stuff and see what they can do. Makes for some interesting pictures too.

Sholos
2010-08-31, 11:46 AM
The cat we rescued from a parking lot and is the (in her mind) undisputed queen of the household:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9936/whispy1.jpg

Our cat who was incredibly friendly and who sadly ran away a little bit ago (though she stuck around the area and we still see her):

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7251/snarf1.jpg

Pyrian
2010-08-31, 11:59 AM
Your pictures are lying to me! :smallwink: ...Seriously, they're cute, but the images are a tad small. Would probably be better as advertised.

Sholos
2010-08-31, 02:27 PM
Fixed. They're bigger now.

onthetown
2010-09-04, 02:23 PM
My cat, Whisk, is out in Hurricane Earl. :smallannoyed: She was screeching and growling and generally being nasty until we let her outside. The storm isn't really that bad here yet, and she's weathered worse (she was outside in some horrible blizzards and worse hurricanes). I've seen some of her hidey holes around the neighbourhood and they're pretty secure.

We like to think she's smart, but her fascination with horrible weather leads us to think otherwise.

Asta Kask
2010-09-05, 03:05 PM
My Mom's youngest cat is missing. He's probably wandered off somewhere, but it's still worrying. :smallfrown:

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-05, 05:29 PM
That happens. My cat likes to run out of the house and into the soybeans in the farm next door. Just keep looking for him.

Asta Kask
2010-09-06, 12:12 PM
And the prodigal cat hath returned. My Mom recently moved, and he was found meowing around his old house...

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-06, 03:23 PM
And the prodigal cat hath returned. My Mom recently moved, and he was found meowing around his old house...

Awwwwwww! :smallredface:

Bhu
2010-09-10, 05:01 PM
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/man-builds-cat-sized-village-for-homeless-cats.html

I think I have found mah hero...

Volthawk
2010-09-10, 05:03 PM
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/man-builds-cat-sized-village-for-homeless-cats.html

Agreed. Definitely agreed.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-10, 05:07 PM

I want to live somewere with building and places to sleep!

And no crime and everyone is furry.

ScottishDragon
2010-09-10, 05:10 PM
Is there anyway to make a very playful tabby kitten stop attacking a rabbit? My poor rabbit is occationaly "attacked" by the kitten. The kitten is just playing and investigating what it is but my rabbit doesn't like it at all. Is there any way I can make this stop?

Drolyt
2010-09-10, 05:32 PM
Is there anyway to make a very playful tabby kitten stop attacking a rabbit? My poor rabbit is occasionally "attacked" by the kitten. The kitten is just playing and investigating what it is but my rabbit doesn't like it at all. Is there any way I can make this stop?
Get one of those water spray bottles and spray the kitten whenever it attacks the rabbit. If that doesn't work somebody else should know more about training than I do.

Awesome.

ScottishDragon
2010-09-10, 05:45 PM
Get one of those water spray bottles and spray the kitten whenever it attacks the rabbit. If that doesn't work somebody else should know more about training than I do.

Thanks, hope this works!!

mucat
2010-09-10, 07:06 PM

I am speechless. That man is crazy awesome.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-10, 07:12 PM
Thanks, hope this works!!

Put viniger in the water.

Drolyt
2010-09-10, 10:26 PM
Put viniger in the water.
What? Why?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-10, 10:29 PM
That man is amazing. And that's great news, Asta!

Marillion
2010-09-10, 10:44 PM
Is there anyway to make a very playful tabby kitten stop attacking a rabbit? My poor rabbit is occationaly "attacked" by the kitten. The kitten is just playing and investigating what it is but my rabbit doesn't like it at all. Is there any way I can make this stop?

Loki, my aforementioned psychatic kitty, feared and respected one creature, and one creature alone. My rabbit. This is because as a kitten, Loki would chase the bunny around the room. This continued for days on end, but eventually Shadow decided he'd had enough of this crap, turned around, and proceeded to thoroughly trounce the cat.

This cat was feared and hated by all of the large dogs in out neighborhood, but one glance from Shadow made Loki turn around and run.

True story. :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2010-09-11, 05:17 AM
That man is amazing. And that's great news, Asta!

Yeah, except now another one of the cats ran away... :smallfrown:

Moving is hard with outdoor cats. Indoor cats... not so much, but cats who are used to being allowed outside whenever they want will take the necessary steps to get out. In this case, peeing on the floor every day (and in different places).

Dracons
2010-09-11, 05:54 AM
This thread likely has this old video of a cat protecting the baby from the baby sitter. But it's still fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATogM8p3FM

Sorry about the lousy music. Seems they all have that.

The cat attacks at the 48 second mark.

ScottishDragon
2010-09-11, 09:20 AM

Moving is hard with outdoor cats. Indoor cats... not so much, but cats who are used to being allowed outside whenever they want will take the necessary steps to get out. In this case, peeing on the floor every day (and in different places).

Yes, this is what it was originally like for my rabbit, my now-dead-cat was terrified of him because when I first showed the rabbit to him the rabbit jumped on him. But THIS kitten is FEARLESS!!
Also,why put vinegar in the water?

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-11, 10:44 AM

That is so cool.

Bhu
2010-09-11, 04:07 PM
This thread likely has this old video of a cat protecting the baby from the baby sitter. But it's still fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATogM8p3FM

Sorry about the lousy music. Seems they all have that.

The cat attacks at the 48 second mark.

AHAHAHAHA!

ThreadKiller
2010-09-11, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfozbcrMpGs&feature=player_embedded

Cats ftw! :smallcool:

Drolyt
2010-09-11, 07:21 PM
So I ordered a pizza and my cat jumped onto the table, grabbed a slice with her mouth, and tried to run off with it. I'm not sure when she became so daring.

Marillion
2010-09-11, 09:57 PM
So I ordered a pizza and my cat jumped onto the table, grabbed a slice with her mouth, and tried to run off with it. I'm not sure when she became so daring.

Probably about the time you were late feeding her :smalltongue:

userpay
2010-09-12, 12:31 AM
Yes, this is what it was originally like for my rabbit, my now-dead-cat was terrified of him because when I first showed the rabbit to him the rabbit jumped on him. But THIS kitten is FEARLESS!!
Also,why put vinegar in the water?

I'm going to guess it has something to do with the smell?

Asta Kask
2010-09-12, 04:12 PM

And now he's back. I wonder how long it takes until one of them runs away next time.

Quincunx
2010-09-12, 04:19 PM

Our cats would team up to steal from either side of my own pizza box while completely ignoring my husband's pizza. I had to sweep my hand over the pizza like a pendulum while attempting to cut it in four-second bursts of neglecting the defense. (This was one of those regions of the world with no concept of finger food and pizza bases to match. Picking a slice up even to fold it was an invitation to lose the toppings.)

Bhu
2010-09-12, 11:11 PM
Have you considered a kitties only pizza as a distraction :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-12, 11:14 PM
Few months back my cat hot me acrross the face, had a scar looking like I was in a swordfight.

Drolyt
2010-09-12, 11:15 PM
Have you considered a kitties only pizza as a distraction :smallwink:
You'd have to make the cheese safe for kitty consumption. I wonder if just adding some lactase is enough?

Skeppio
2010-09-12, 11:28 PM
Few months back my cat hot me acrross the face, had a scar looking like I was in a swordfight.

Now I have this image in my head of a cat wielding a sword and beckoning its opponent closer.

Drolyt
2010-09-12, 11:31 PM
Now I have this image in my head of a cat wielding a sword and beckoning its opponent closer.

Thundercats, hoooo!

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-12, 11:31 PM
Pshaw, cats don't need swords, their paws are quite capable!

Drolyt
2010-09-12, 11:40 PM
Pshaw, cats don't need swords, their paws are quite capable!
The word katana is in your name. Are you honestly telling me a kitty cat with a katana isn't awesome?

Skeppio
2010-09-12, 11:51 PM
The word katana is in your name. Are you honestly telling me a kitty cat with a katana isn't awesome?

No, no, no. Obviously, the katana in her name is what Geldar is using to fend off the Kitty-Knight. :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-12, 11:59 PM
Cats are awesome without the need for a katana...or would that be called a catana?

Skeppio
2010-09-13, 12:03 AM
Now that would be quite a cat-astrophe.

Okay, that had tabby the worst pun I've ever made. I guess that's just the kind of persian I am. :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-13, 03:41 PM
Now that would be quite a cat-astrophe.

Okay, that had tabby the worst pun I've ever made. I guess that's just the kind of persian I am. :smalltongue:

Just stop. It's not that punny.

In other, cat-related news, yesterday my cat Calvin got off his leash and almost made it into the soybean field. That cat...

Lillith
2010-09-13, 03:45 PM

Try having your cat pushing himself off on your arm. I know have a scar on my arm that goes all the way down next to my vein. Yah, that's funny to explain when some people notice that.

Drolyt
2010-09-13, 05:08 PM
My cat is an indoor cat, but for some reason the desire to go outside was never bred out of her (wouldn't be a problem, but it was dangerous for kitties where we lived). Once on a hot summer day she figured out how to open the door and got out, so I chased her and grabbed her, but I didn't have a shirt on. I swear I nearly passed out from blood loss she cut me so many times. The only worse time was when I had the bright idea to give her a bath in the sink, she ripped right through the rubber gloves somehow. She can be vicious when she wants to be.

Bhu
2010-09-14, 12:30 AM
Dude you need body armor to wash a cat, declawed or not...

http://www.tlcpoodles.com/catbath.html

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-14, 06:17 PM
I have bathed my cat once, and that was to kill some rabbit fleas she had on her. We gave her this flea killer we bought at the supermarket, that she tried to lick off so we had to wash it off her.

And declawing cats is cruel.

Drolyt
2010-09-14, 06:20 PM
And declawing cats is cruel.
Agreed, but it is dangerous to talk about it because it is such a flammable topic.

Marillion
2010-09-14, 08:51 PM
Dude you need body armor to wash a cat, declawed or not...

http://www.tlcpoodles.com/catbath.html

*ahem*

Problem solved. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfSl0iGAus)

Onlyhestands
2010-09-14, 09:27 PM
When I washed my kitty (after she got sprayed by a skunk), all she did was start shaking and huddle in fright. I felt bad, but at least I didn't get clawed.

Bhu
2010-09-15, 12:30 AM
*ahem*

WHat do you do about the horrifying cat vengeance afterwards tho?

Sholos
2010-09-15, 07:43 AM
*ahem*

Sometimes I really, really despise humanity.

Lioness
2010-09-15, 07:52 AM
We bathed the cat...he didn't get violent. Just went "mreeeow" a lot, and tried to run away.

Form
2010-09-15, 08:06 AM
One of my cats bit me in the nose once (after which he gives me this innocent look and meow), but he was just playing so it wasn't a serious bite. It still startled me though and he did manage to draw a little blood, probably because I pulled away from him as quickly as I could. It was a very sweet and very playful animal.

My other cat isn't that playful, just lazy for the most part. He just loves walking all over me when I lie down on the couch and walking over sensitive/ticklish areas (and no, not that area) before finally sitting down.

Drolyt
2010-09-15, 12:00 PM
*ahem*

I know the cat wasn't really hurt, but that still seems mean. It was trying like hell to escape for goodness sake.

Sholos
2010-09-15, 12:26 PM
Really, outside of occasional flea bath (and certain breeds), most cats don't need to be bathed. They do that themselves. Their saliva even has a detergent in it specially made for their fur/skin.

Lillith
2010-09-15, 12:54 PM
I remember how our now oldest cat fell into the ditch behind our street. When we found him he was all wet and covered in black and green... goo/plantlike stuff. We had to put him in the bathtub so we could use the showerhead on him to clean away the dirt. After about half an hour of wrestling and him screaming, Gunnar was finally clean and the dirt was on all the walls in our bathroom instead.

Sholos
2010-09-15, 11:55 PM
An amendment, then, to add that special circumstances require special taking care of.

Dubious Pie
2010-09-17, 02:21 AM
I got woken up a while ago by the warm trickle of blood into my mouth, turns out the cat had bit my lip hard enough for there to be a rather insane amount of blood pouring off of a new wound courtesy of my cat, who was sitting on my chest, looking at me proudly. Seriously, he had the cat equivalent of :smallbiggrin: on his face. That cat is pure evil, and I wouldn't have him any other way...

Asta Kask
2010-09-17, 05:08 AM
If I'm at home, my cat will yell loudly two or three times a day for cuddles. He stands on the bed and howls until I give him the attention properly due a black cat (who is getting more and more white hairs in his fur...)

Lillith
2010-09-17, 08:16 AM
The first thing our youngest cat, Cleo, does when I get home, is meow loudly while wronging to the door. The will then turn around and parade in front of me till we enter the living room. She will then fall, just fall, on the floor expecting to be pet.
Once she has been pet enough to her desire, she will then jump into my schoolbag, bury herself in it and destroying everything I didn't manage to get out in time. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2010-09-23, 06:18 AM
My cat is in a "self-sufficient" period at the moment. This means he will not sleep in my bed, but will only cuddle for half an hour or so. In his "I need CUDDLES!" periods, he will lie glued to my side all night long. Which is very flattering but also rather warm.

Bhu
2010-09-25, 01:52 AM
Cats, a traditional winter sleeping accessory :smallbiggrin:

HellfireLover
2010-09-25, 10:33 AM
Cara kitty, madame extraordinaire, has a dislocated kneecap after attempting a jump from the floor to the top of the wardrobe. It failed. As our entire living room is ripped to pieces following flood damage, we're at my mother's and supposed to be confined to one room. Cue wreckage... I've already incurred a bill for a new door.

Dear unholy mother of hell, that cat can howl. I've never had a cat with such a piercing and insistent voice before. I'm amazed no-one's called the sspca on me.

Marnath
2010-09-26, 06:48 PM
My kitty is currently crying and wandering the house, looking for the sister who's never coming back. :smallfrown:
Buried her this morning. Heartbreaking to listen to.

*edit: The cat's sister, not mine.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-26, 07:22 PM
Give your kitty a cuddle, cats comfort us when we are sad and there's no reason we shouldn't do likewise.

Drolyt
2010-09-26, 07:23 PM
Give your kitty a cuddle from me. That is so sad. :(

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-26, 09:17 PM
Cats, a traditional winter sleeping accessory :smallbiggrin:

Just winter?

Anyways, I came home tonight to find my cat Rookie staring at me under a bush. I jumped out of the car just in time to find out that it was not our cat, and was a stray. My sister, however, wants to capture it.

My kitty is currently crying and wandering the house, looking for the sister who's never coming back. :smallfrown:
Buried her this morning. Heartbreaking to listen to.

*edit: The cat's sister, not mine.

How saddening. :smallfrown: