PDA

View Full Version : Death Recon (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lycan 01
2010-08-08, 08:51 PM
Lycan 01 presents....

DEATH RECON
Introduction

In the late hours of the night, you have been called into the personal study of Inquisitor Vownus Kaede. It is not the first time you've met the famous Witch Hunter, though this will be the first time he's regarded you as official Acolytes in his service. The months leading up to this have been filled with trials and challenges as you were forced to prove your worth... and promise. For the last few days, you've been allowed to recover from your last mission in his own private sanctuary, alongside other Acolytes and Interogators under his wing. Many of them have eyed you suspiciously, others have grinned and whispered amongst themselves in your wake. You're the Inquisitor's new Acolytes - fresh meat for the grinder.

One by one, you file into the Inquisitor's study. Perhaps you find what you were expecting, perhaps not. It appears to be a large office, dimly lit basked in flickering orange glow by the roaring fireplace built into one side of the room. The walls are decorated by art, relics, and trophies. An oil painting of an Astartes here, a gilded Bolt Pistol there, and a strange Xeno skull mounted in between. The Inquisitor himself is behind a polished wooden desk, reclining in a comfortable chair. The chair is upholstered with fine leather, the desk is made from Mahogany from the planet Malchior VIII, and his boot-clad feet are resting comfortably on top of it.

Inquisitor Wovnus Kaede smiles as you all enter. His face sports what some would call a Guy Fawkes Beard, though the source of the term has been lost to the ages, and an ivory pipe is currently resting between his lips. He removes the pipe before exhaling a ring of smoke, which smells faintly of finely refined lho leaves. "Good evening. I am glad you could join me. First of all, let me congratulate you. Please, take a seat..." he croons, gesturing towards several chairs that have been arranged in a semi-circle in front of his desk. "From this point on, you are all official Acolytes in my service, and each of you shall be part of the same small Cell. I'd suggest you get to know each other quickly. I've already got an assignment for you..." he smirks in a knowing manner. "But first, introductions, and any questions or concerns you may have for me. Best to get the small talk out of the way before we move on to the serious topics..." he shrugs, casually waving his free hand in a somewhat flippant manner while holding his pipe in the other.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-08, 10:01 PM
A tall, skeletal-thin man, with dark hair slicked back into a noble’s peak, Domus gives a slight bow, and extends a greeting card to the Inquisitor. "It is a rare honor to work for such an esteemed Inquisitor. As I'm sure you already know, my name is Wendyll Domus Atreus, of the Malfi Atreusii, seconded to the Archives and Research Division of the Tricorn."

He gratefully takes the chair and flicks out the skirts of his frock coat, favoring one knee, which he folds over the other. Pulling a cigarette-holder from his breast pocket, his fingers hover a movement between two cigarette cases before selecting the white enameled one and removing a lho-stick which he inserts into the holder, returning the case to his pocket. With a look and a motion to the Inquisitor that signals "mind if I join you," he lights up.

After a long drag, he exhales through his fearsome beak of a nose. "I have a certain facility for puzzles and logical deduction that has proven of use in the past. And some familiarity with the more...obscure areas of Inquisitorial lore. A mere hobby, but my disposition appalls at the routine and everyday. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am...sufficiently invigorated."

He leans forward with a hungry and predatory look in eyes. "So, m'lord Inquisitor, what does this assignment consist of?"

crazedloon
2010-08-08, 10:36 PM
A scrawny man with a wild Hairdo and a metal studded face stalks into the room favoring the shadows of the room. He is dressed in a thick heavy greatcloak which seems to jangle quietly as he walks. His eyes are black morbid orbs which seem to look everywhere and no where at the same time. His feature is that of a grim man who has seen more death than life and isn't afraid to see more. He seems to only glance at the others before he stalks over to the xenos skull.
From a large pocket in the greatcloak he extracts a small booklet which is worn, torn, beaten and miscolored. Those who are familiar with the front lines of the ever present war would recognize it as an infantryman's Primer. However this one is filled with papers and markings. The Disheveled man flips through the pages mumbling quietly to himself glancing up at the skull and referring to the booklet. He makes a few markings in his primer all the while his hands remain hidden in the large sleeves of his greatcloak.
When the other man makes his introduction a stifled grunt of disapproval emanates from the man. Even with his back seemingly to the other acolytes and Inquisitor the man seems to be aware of their presence.

does the xenos skull match any of the crude pictures in the primer :smallbiggrin:

Bowerbird
2010-08-09, 01:02 AM
A tallish thin man of average height, with a neat haircut and moustache walks in with the others, eyeing them nervously. He walks a little stiffly and seems awkward and suspicious. He's dressed in a neatly pressed Arbites street uniform. "Detective Cromwell, sir, nice to finally be formally accepted into the Inquisition, sir. I look forward to working for you, it will be a refreshing change of scene." At this he eyes his current comrades, "Er, hopefully.."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 01:19 AM
Atreus waves hello with his cigarette holder and holds out the case. "Smoke, Detective?"

Bowerbird
2010-08-09, 01:24 AM
Cromwell starts and looks at the proffered cigarette case, before seeming to remember himself and relax a little, "Oh, er no, don't smoke, thanks though."

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 01:30 AM
Quint

Quint snaps the primer shut and slides it back into his coat. He turns the black orbs to the others now conversing so genially. Their kind were a sad bunch, so sure of the right of the law and the noble. He leans against the wall and folds his arms his eyes half closed as he waits for the meeting to begin.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 01:31 AM
The Xeno skull matches nothing you've ever seen, or could have imagined in your darkest nightmares. Awareness Test to notice something about the three eye sockets, though. :smallwink:

Inquisitor Kaede stays silent as each of his new Acolytes introduces themselves. He doesn't say anything in regard to the late Acolytes who have no yet shown up. However, his eyes light up at Detective Cromwell's words, and a grin flashes across his face. "Formerly accepted into the Inquisition?" He shakes his head, still grinning incredulously at what the Arbite has just said. The locks of salt-and-pepper hair hanging from beneath his Puritan-style hat wave with every motion. "Child, I do not know you've been talking to. You have, by no means, been accepted into the Inquisition, formally or informally. You have, essentially, barely gotten your foot in the door. And every force in the universe is trying to slam your toes in it. Heh heh heh..." the Inquisitor chuckles. He takes a long drag from his pipe, his expression still one of wimsy and wonder.

Bowerbird
2010-08-09, 01:38 AM
Cromwell looks up at the Inquisitor, "Well, yes, I realise that, having heard the people talk.." he spares a glance to the door, "Nevertheless, I trust that I am wearing the right kind of boots, he he.." he laughs nervously at that.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 02:13 AM
The Inquisitor's face falls. He locks eyes with Cromwall, his expression harsh, his gaze unflinching. "That sort of humor is heresy, my boy..."

After several seconds of tense silence, the Witch Hunter bursts into laughter. "Hah hah! Oh, I'm sorry... I just love spooking folks like that. Everyone is always so strict, stern, and serious these days. Looking for heresy in everything. A sense of humor is something to be proud of, to hold on to. Its a good thing to find in an Acolyte these days. Part of what makes us human. And, it will help you avoid going insane as easily as most Acolytes do when they are finally forced to face some of the darkest truths and lies this galaxy has to offer..." he grins, allowing his words to hang in the air as he thoughtfully takes another drag from his pipe.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 02:23 AM
Quint

Only a fool laughs at the face of darkness.

Quint looks up and locks eyes with the Inquisitor.

Because that darkness will laugh right back, and its not so kind or weak.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 02:39 AM
Inquisitor Kaede stares at Quint, his expression one of slight bemusement. He chews on his pipe thoughtfully, one eyebrow slightly arched. After a few seconds of thought, he exales a smoke ring and begins to speak. "I was wondering when you'd speak up. Yes, only a fool is laughs at the face of darkness. What kind of idiot laughs at a Daemon, rather than shooting it in the face? The latter is much more effective, in my personal experience..." he gives a slight shrug, before chewing on his pipe some more.

"What I'm trying to say is, that humor is a feature we humans are blessed with. Its one of those things that sets us apart from everything else in the universe. And when after you've been face to face with the darkness, you'll need some way to cope with it. Some people pray, fast, and medicate. Some people try to block it from their minds, and banish the memories. Some people just blow their brains out in hopes they'll escape the madness that lurks within. And for some lucky few, they use their sense of humor as a coping mechanism, to reduce the shock and trauma of what they've experienced."

Inquisitor Kaede exhales another smoke ring, before smiling in a relaxed manner. "So yes. Only a fool laughs in the face of darkness. But only a fool doesn't try to find a way to forget about the darkness afterwards, lest it consume him from within. And humor just happens to be, for some, an effective method..."

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 02:54 AM
Quint

You can't hide from the darkness with humor or ritual. The greatest darkness is part of every one of us and no matter what you hide it under when it comes down to it we are ****.

Quints voice is low and rough.

You may think it is best to hide like a sniveling child behind a little humor and be happy with yourself. But you have not faced your darkness. When it has grown so great that your humor can no longer hide it what will you do Inquisitor

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 03:14 AM
"I passed that point a long time ago," is his response. His gaze is sharp, his expression set, and his voice devoid of its previous jovial tone. "And you will pass it one day, yourself. You may think you've faced the darkness within your soul, but I can tell you right now that you have not. One day you will. And I pray to the God-Emperor you made the same decision I did."

The Inquisitor takes a long, thoughtful drag from his pipe. "So. Any other questions or concerns? I was hoping the fourth member of the team would be here before I began the briefing."

Why you always gotta make things difficult? :smallwink:

Seriously, my first time GMing Dark Heresy, and you're forcing me into deep philisophical debates with the friggin' Inquisitor. On the first page. Thanks man. I feel the love...

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 03:25 AM
Quint

The lies we tell ourselves is what the darkness is built on Inquisitor. Only when you are dead will you have finally grappled with your darkness.

Quint stops for a moment. His small shoulders shrug and he retrieves his primer once more.

But what does a lowly scum know in the face of the great Inquisitor.

He seems to once more dive back into the primer jotting notes seemingly at random. However that uncanny feeling that he is watching is still prevalent.

It comes with being the lone gunmen :smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 03:45 AM
"The lowly scum speaks well, for one in his position..." the Inquisitor shrugs. "But I'm sorry to break it to you - only the lucky ones die before facing the true darkness within..."

You're not the only gunman. You're just the only one focused on shooting stuff. :smalltongue:

Though, it seems that as the only gunman, you'd want to avoid making my job more difficult. :smallwink:

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 05:06 AM
Utterly bored by the gunman's quasi-suicidal mouthing off to the Inquisitor, Atreus smirks inside. Some of us are born with darkness within, he muses. Blood will out in the strangest ways, but one learns to live with it.

Are we waiting on Tekkno? Because I'd like to know what the case is.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 06:04 PM
"It seems the Psyker is running late. He must be meditating. Nevertheless, we must proceed..." Inquisitor Kaede muses. He picks his feet up off the desk and sets them down on the hardwood floor, his posture becoming more serious and professional.

"The planet Carthis is a small, out of the way planet. Its an arid, desert world, and mostly serves as a trade hub and mining world. There are a few major cities, though they're quite small compared to most Imperial settlements. There are also a few smaller towns and settlements, but they're mostly just farming communities, nothing of consequence. Carthis is ruled by a planetary governor, but he's really just a figurehead. The real power of the planet is in the hands of its merchant clans. There are several of them scattered around the arid world, each one controlling most dealings in whichever one of the planet's major cities lies within their territory of influence, their "turf" in essence. You all know how these trader clans work..." he mutters, waving his hand.

"At any rate, the Inquisition was recently informed of certain unsavory practices occuring on the planet of Carthis. The world has always had a rather healthy Black Market. As I said, its a trade hub. Rogue Traders, shady merchants, and pirates are oft known to visit the world to sell and buy "hot" merchandise, as well as other wares and services. Well, one of our informants on the world has noticed a rather sudden and troubling spike in the Black Market trading of forbidden Xenotech. Specifically, that of the Eldar..." The Inquisitor's eyes narrow, as he gauges each of your reactions.

"The Arbites have been a bit slow on the uptake..." he sighs. "The law on Carthis has always been a bit lax. Violent crime and obvious heresy are rare, and are quickly dealt with. But the Arbites tend to be less enthusiastic about smuggling and white collar crimes. They'll get around to it, especially if they manage to catch a someone with obviously illegal contraband, but they won't devote the full force of the planet's legal powers to stamp out a handful of thugs selling lasguns without proper permits. Besides... I believe that once Eldar Xenotech hit the market, the situation on Carthis became something of an Inquisitorial matter, not under the Adeptus Arbites' jurisdiction..." Kaede smirks in a smug manner.

"So, here's your mission: track down the source of the Xenotech, and do what has to be done. However, don't abuse your authority. What little you have, at any rate. You're only Acolytes - not Inquisitors. If you go around threatening folks, claiming to be an Inquisitor, you will be killed or captured, and I will not care, quite frankly. I'll just send in another, smarter, Acolyte Cell."

"So. How do you intend to go about this? While you be working alongside the Arbites, giving them full knowledge of what your doing? Will you be performing your own investigation, giving the Arbites a heads up about your involvement so as to avoid trouble? Or will you be doing everything in a discrete manner, keeping your identities and involvement a secret?" the Witch Hunter tilts his Puritanical slouch hat back, arching a curious eyebrow at you all.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 06:53 PM
Wendyll raises the cigarette holder from his lips. "Given the rather remote nature of the place and the notorious, albeit justified, paranoia of men in the Cold Trade, an open investigation might risk startling the targets into going underground or open flight, to say nothing about exposing this informant.

"Posing as a potential buyer, we might be able to, if we coordinate our efforts with this informant, perhaps utilize the Arbites' surveillance assets without a public presence, develop a larger picture of which merchants in particular are involved with this spike in xenotech, and thereby uncover the network."

"Indeed, in these kinds of cases, it is often the most banal data that is the most pertinent. Even in a ramshackle depot, there must be someone in the starport who keeps records of the coming and going of starships. From these humble beginnings, great wonders can be made."

[roll0] Common Lore (Imperium) Check vs. 40 to find out if I can recall where this planet is, especially in relation to major warp routes, and its relative distance to areas of the Sector, such as the Halo Stars, where xenotech might originate from.
If the check fails, I'll just ask the Inquisitor.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 07:11 PM
"The informant, I'm sorry to say, will be unable to aid you in this endevour," Inquisitor Kaede frowns. "He was simply an agent of the Inquisition passing through, and other affairs kept him from staying on the planet to further investigate the situation. You'll essentially be on your own, performing the entire investigation from scratch. I'm sure you can handle it, though."

Carthis is towards the Rimward outskirts of the Calixis Sector, near the Halo stars. Its off the beaten path, as far as trade routes go. But it would only take a few extra days Warp travel for a merchant or Rogue Trader to make a slight detour and visit the world.

However, you're not sure what effect this would have on Xenotech access for the planet. While it would be easier to trade and deal in such items on a such a backwater world, there's no telling if a direct source could be found on or near the planet. You have very little knowledge of the Eldar, let alone their areas of influence. Perhaps you could ask the Inquisitor.

If you dare.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 07:29 PM
"The informant, I'm sorry to say, will be unable to aid you in this endevour," Inquisitor Kaede frowns. "He was simply an agent of the Inquisition passing through, and other affairs kept him from staying on the planet to further investigate the situation. You'll essentially be on your own, performing the entire investigation from scratch. I'm sure you can handle it, though."

Carthis is towards the Rimward outskirts of the Calixis Sector, near the Halo stars. Its off the beaten path, as far as trade routes go. But it would only take a few extra days Warp travel for a merchant or Rogue Trader to make a slight detour and visit the world.

However, you're not sure what effect this would have on Xenotech access for the planet. While it would be easier to trade and deal in such items on a such a backwater world, there's no telling if a direct source could be found on or near the planet. You have very little knowledge of the Eldar, let alone their areas of influence. Perhaps you could ask the Inquisitor.

If you dare.

Atreus frowns and draws deeply on his lho-stick. "Did the agent at least leave some record of his findings, a few names of dealers or entrepots at least? If not, do you perhaps have some picts or descriptions of the kind of items you're interested in? I'm afraid my experience is mostly with heretical cults and other matters internal to the Imperium."

"M'lord, given that the remoteness and obscurity would seem to be at least one reason why one would seek to trade on Carthis, might not another reason be its proximity to the Halo Stars? Would it be easier to acquire Eldar artifacts from the Halo Stars - if so, it might be possible to narrow down our field of suspects by concentrating on ships coming from that direction?"

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 07:46 PM
"What information he gathered will not prove very useful, I'm afraid. He never personally witnessed any trading or samples of the Xenotech, but he was able to talk to the right people and confirm that such dealings are taking place. There are no names, however, or at least names you'd be able to track down. Most of this stuff is bad room and under the table trading, where names are not important. However, I can tell you that he was in the city of Zorak when he came across this information. So perhaps you should begin your investigation there. I wish there was more I could tell you, but this isn't exactly coming directly from the source. This assignment has been passed and tossed around, from Inquisitor to Inquisitor. So its likely that the more useful information has been lost in translation..."

Inquisitor Kaede chews on his pipe and eyes Atreus, in a manner that seems to suggest he's not sure if the scholar needs to know everything in regards to his question. "Well..." he exhales another ring of smoke, "I'm not sure you'll be able to narrow it down that much. Though its close to the Halo Stars, there's no real way of knowing which direction Eldar-related materials are flowing into Carthis from. The Eldar tend to show up in the most... surprising... of places..." he muses.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 07:48 PM
Quint

How are we arriving on this planet?

Quint is unmoved from his position on at the walk his eyes still half closed and his expression remote.

[roll0] vs 26 common lore Imperial

Basic facts about this planet and the trade routes.
also whether I know the difference between a Witch hunter and a Xeno's hunter or is it just me that this guy is out of his own jurisdiction?

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 07:56 PM
"I've already brokered passage for you aboard a small cargo vessel. It will give you a week or so to plan and plot, and to make up whatever identity you wish to have when you reach Carthis. You may leave the ship as Acolytes of the Inquisition, wealthy merchants looking for shady deals, or mangy refugees looking for a new home..."

You have heard the name Carthis a few times, but you don't know much about it.

Also, its common knowledge that Inquisitor Kaede was once part of the Ordo Xenos, and occassionally dabbles in non-Ordo Hereticus dealings. Besides, some might argue that Black Market dealings in blasphemous contraband is heresy, and thus fair game for the Ordo Hereticus.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 08:05 PM
Quint

None of those will do as cover.

Quint brushes some hair which had fallen into his eyes away. His hands however stay well within the coats sleeves.

Each is to obvious a cover or will draw unwanted attention. No rich merchant would show up on a dingy that you are sending us on. I am sure or... Distinguished compatriot here should know what I mean.

He says the last bit with a tone of disgust and sarcasm as he nods towards Atreus

And if we attempt to make contact or inform the Arbites of our presence we might as well tell the whole damn mudball. They aint to be trusted as far as you can throw them. Aint that right Detective?

This to has the same bitter knowing tone as he looks at the detective.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 08:14 PM
"I was merely giving examples, not orders. And its not a dingy. Its a medium-capacity cargo transport vessel, with passenger quarters of varying classes and qualities. Its one of the few ways of getting to Carthis, outside of personal transport, and it allows one to at least have a chance at being discreet. You should find all manner of folk aboard, from aristocrat to beggar. So do not be surprised if a few shady merchants really are travelling incognito alongside you. And before you make another remark, yes, I realize you would not actually be able to tell they're incognito unless they're frakking stupid. It was rhetorical..." Inquisitor Kaede sighs, already anticipating Quint's next round of smart comments.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 08:25 PM
Quint

Quint doesn't even flinch when the Inquisitor attempts to call him out.

No Inquisitor I do not point out the obvious. I simply know how the side of life which we are to infiltrate works. If we were to attempt the channels these two are used to we would doom ourselves to failure before we started. But when those channels are all you know there isn't much changing them is there.

Quint ***** his head to the side as he talks a loud pop indicating he has cracked his neck.

Do you have files on the local crime or gangs?

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 08:36 PM
"I'm afraid not. Not much information is available on the planet to begin with, and the Arbites on Carthis are not very good at keeping tabs on such things. As I said, there's very little violent crime, and not much gang activity par se. Its mostly just white collar crime and illegal trading..." the Inquisitor replies.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 09:33 PM
Quint

None of those will do as cover.

Now completely past his limits of tolerance, Atreus looks coldly at the gunslinger. "Unless you have an alternative to suggest, you can oblige us all by remaining silent. In dealing with a covert market, interaction is best done as one of the kinds of people that black marketeers normally interact with - namely those who sell to them, and those who buy from them.

"In this case, I best fit the profile of a potential customer. A bored dilettante, looking to spice up his collection of artifacts with something a tad outre for the beginning of the season. A nobleman might well bring a retinue, which would account for the rest of us.

"As for our detective friend, the best course of action may well be for him to travel and depart separately where he can make contact with the Arbites. Even if the local Arbites do not normally make a habit of investigating smuggling, they do possess the resources needed to do so - vox-thieves, pict recorders, stummers, multikeys, and the like. Moreover, it is highly likely that, if the targets of our investigations decide not to come quietly, we may need more in the way of armed support than yourself."

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 09:44 PM
Quint

Quint's black orbs show no emotion or reaction to the mans outburst.

Have you ever dealt with the under world Mr. Atreus? Do you know what sort of world you think you can bluff your way into?

Quint shakes his head.

Do you have the money or power to back up the claims you wish to flaunt? When the Detective gets killed for asking the wrong questions and the would be backup brings the guns to kill us are you prepared? You have to be naive to believe the reports coming from that planet. There is violence wherever man steps foot, and you Mr. Atreus are asking for it all to come down on your head.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 10:25 PM
Quint

Quint's black orbs show no emotion or reaction to the mans outburst.

Have you ever dealt with the under world Mr. Atreus? Do you know what sort of world you think you can bluff your way into?

Quint shakes his head.

Do you have the money or power to back up the claims you wish to flaunt? When the Detective gets killed for asking the wrong questions and the would be backup brings the guns to kill us are you prepared? You have to be naive to believe the reports coming from that planet. There is violence wherever man steps foot, and you Mr. Atreus are asking for it all to come down on your head.

Atreus gives the man a bitter smile. "My dear sir, of course I have - I'm a Malfian after all. I'd hardly volunteer if I hadn't, and unless I mistake my guess about our employer, the Inquisitor would hardly have selected me if I couldn't pass. As for finances, I'm sure the Inquisitor can procure us false drafts, credit blocks, or the like that could withstand scrutiny.

"The Detective's role, in my proposal, is to liaise with the local Arbites and procure equipment, and to conduct remote investigation, not be on the street.

"The reports we have from the planet is all the data we have to go on, and we have no reason yet to doubt them. This is a small, desert planet, not a Hive.

"I have told you before, sir, to either provide your alternative or be silent. I am not a man in the habit of repeating myself."

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 10:28 PM
The Inquisitor calmly smokes his pipe, casually glancing back and forth between the gunslinger and the aristocrat. This was their fight - who was he to get between them and put a stop to it? For now, he would simply let them have at it. Such hostilities needed to be dealt with early on if a Cell was to work together properly.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 10:38 PM
Quint

As I thought you are a naive fool. I won't be the people on the street that will kill the fine detective. It will be his dear Arbites who will do it for us. It is their fake reports which tell us of a peaceful mudball with no violent crimes and just small misdemeanors. I am sure they are getting a a nice pittance to keep the true crimes quite. After all they can't risk an Inquisitorial investigation.

Quint sighs and closes his eyes.

And when one shows up on their front step it will be easier to dispose of the dear detective than to deal with a true investigation. After all the Inquisitor has been willing to listen to their reports up to now. What is another few reporting a few rogue acolytes who have gone missing.

He looks up once more.

As for your opinion of your high standings. I would suggest you drop them becuase you are nothing but trash like me. But the difference is, I make no pretenses of being superior. If you are to live you will need to forget the petty titles and respect you are used to becuase they will just get us killed.

Bowerbird
2010-08-09, 10:52 PM
Cromwell sits in his chair, watching the aristocrat and the scum argue, at their suggestions for his actions he raises an eyebrow and looks as though he's about to say something, but then the other will jump in and resume the argument. In the end he just looks to the Inquisitor, leaning forward conspiratorially, "You think they remember I'm right here?" he says, with a brief flash of amusement, before he settles back down in his chair to think, "Looks like I'll have the resources I'm used to, at least.." he mutters to himself, as he watches his companions argue.

crazedloon
2010-08-09, 11:08 PM
Quint

No detective I know full well you are here, what do you say on the matter. Do you believe like Mr. Atreus that the good Arbites is infallible and you will find a nice place with helpful men? Do you feel it will be the best course of action? After all I am but scum how can I know of the inner workings of the law which you hold so dear.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-09, 11:33 PM
Quint

As I thought you are a naive fool. I won't be the people on the street that will kill the fine detective. It will be his dear Arbites who will do it for us. It is their fake reports which tell us of a peaceful mudball with no violent crimes and just small misdemeanors. I am sure they are getting a a nice pittance to keep the true crimes quite. After all they can't risk an Inquisitorial investigation.

Quint sighs and closes his eyes.

And when one shows up on their front step it will be easier to dispose of the dear detective than to deal with a true investigation. After all the Inquisitor has been willing to listen to their reports up to now. What is another few reporting a few rogue acolytes who have gone missing.

He looks up once more.

As for your opinion of your high standings. I would suggest you drop them becuase you are nothing but trash like me. But the difference is, I make no pretenses of being superior. If you are to live you will need to forget the petty titles and respect you are used to becuase they will just get us killed.

"You have no evidence that the Arbites have falsified their reports, beyond bare assertion. And while corruption is not unknown amid local Magistratum, the Arbites are famously incorruptible.

"I believe Carthis to be a place where people do business. Unprovoked violence on customers is bad for business. As long as we keep our cover, there's little reason to assume we'll be attacked by black marketeers.

"And in that event, I believe it's your job to deal with violent men.
Unless you have an alternative plan of investigation, or the good detective does, can we cease with pointless bickering?"

crazedloon
2010-08-10, 01:10 AM
Quint

It is not pointless bickering Mr. Atreus. I like to know those I must work with and I size them up. And frankly I find you lacking. You high minded ideals blind you to the reality of this world. How you managed to be recruited for a position where you are to trust no one and question everything is beyond me. However that is not my concern. My concern is that your flippant disregard for simple facts will get you killed, and that sir is a waste of my time.

Quint flips open the primer which he retrieves from the large pocket.

"Eldar technology is antiquated", and "Eldar craftsmanship is inferior to our own." But

Quint snaps the book closed once more as he returns it to his pocket.

But we must stop such inferior things being spread to the underbelly of our society less we be incapable of killing each other effectively? Indeed we should instead replace it with a blackmarket with good wholesome human weapons.

Quint shakes his head as he says the last part with heavy sarcasm emphasizing the quoted text.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]These are all little lies we tell the good citizens so they need not fear the darkness. Isn't that correct Inquisitor. And frankly Mr. Atreus if you wish to once again believe such lies you are in the wrong office. The infallibility and incorruptibility of the Arbites is another of these sweet lies. They may keep you snuggled in your expensive sheets; but when you have seen the true underbelly that they allow to grow and fester you will see it for the lie it really is.[/COLOR

Those are direct quotes btw :smalltongue:

Vikingkingq
2010-08-10, 01:27 AM
"Enough. You do not know me or what I am capable of. As for you, I can tell from your accident that you're Gunmetallican by birth, and underhive at that, and you haven't spent much time off-planet. From the weapons underneath your coat, it's clear that you're a "Gunslinger," but then that's ten-a-penny in Gunmetallicos.

Your surmises are a mere confabulation of prejudice and an overblown sense of cynicism. Produce your evidence, your facts. Explain why your word should be taken over that of the Inquisitor, especially when you have offered no investigative strategy whatsoever.

"So let me question you, cur. What investigations have you lead? What kind of expertise do you have that doesn't involve using those pistols at your waist?"

"Either contribute to this team, or leave it."

Bowerbird
2010-08-10, 12:50 PM
Quint

No detective I know full well you are here, what do you say on the matter. Do you believe like Mr. Atreus that the good Arbites is infallible and you will find a nice place with helpful men? Do you feel it will be the best course of action? After all I am but scum how can I know of the inner workings of the law which you hold so dear.

A look of brief anger flashes across the Detective's face as the gunslinger speaks to him, before being replaced with a look of grim determination.

"Oh, I hold the law dear, but not those who claim to uphold it, you assume that because I am an Arbitrator that I will blindly trust my fellow Arbites? You underestimate me. Never make assumptions, I have seen the both of you bandying about assumptions about one another's character, as well as one another's abilities."

The detective takes a breath,

"Now, let's start again." he nods in the direction of Atreus, "You possess a great deal of deductive reasoning, yet you assume a great deal of things, and seem like you will tend to leap ahead without heed for the rest of us. That's fine if you're working alone, but not on a team." he points to the gunslinger, "You I assume would be good in a fight, and fairly streetwise, but the flippant disregard for others and loner attitude is not condusive to acting in a team." Cromwell straightens, "Now myself, I'm good at interrogations, getting info off the street, that sort of thing, but I'm used to working alone, and am not too trustful of people, thus I don't trust either of you as far as I can throw you, and my arm isn't what it used to be, nothing personal."

He stands up and turns to face his fellow acolytes,

"Now, here's how it's gonna be, we deal with facts and not conjecture, your respective opinions are valid, but not word of law, is that understood? Now, if we can start again with the facts. What we know is thus:

- This planet possesses an extensive black market that the Arbites do little to prevent.
- Someone has started to sell forbidden Xenotech on this planet.
- We're being delivered on a fairly decent ship, so any number of plausible entry patterns are possible.

"Now, we have no proof that corruption exists within the Arbites, but we should play it safe and leave them in the dark for now, just in case. While the two of you seem hellbent on your own plans for entry, we need to come up with something plausible as a group, alone we stand less chance."

The Arbitrator folds his arms and looks from one teammate to the other, "Now, can we stop this frakking infighting before this devolves into a gunfight?"

crazedloon
2010-08-10, 01:22 PM
Quint

Quint chuckles but there is no amusement in his features.

And if our Companions assumption about me is correct a gunfight with me would end poorly wouldn't

He looks at the now standing arbites and muses over the mans words as he looks at the others.

You I like a little better. You have the common sense not to trust us, which is good. You are bound by your world of structure and command

he pauses for a moment and c*cks his head

But that is not always a bad thing. You are good at keeping information straight, or at least what can pass as information. And you seem to have a the correct mindset. You

Emphasizing the last bit and a shadow of a smirk nearly flashes on his features.

I can work with. As for you Mr. Atreus. What can I provide to this investigation is less a material asset as it is the correct mindset and certain

He pauses seeming to think over his words carefully.

Experience. You see unlike you or the detective here I know the world differently and act accordingly. I think you will find that the way I do things is inconvenient abrasive and lower than your own sweet tactics. However they work. For example in this room I am the one with the upper hand. My intentions, identity and character are all conjecture and assumption. However you Mr. Atreus have not only revealed your identity but you have shown your own ..... behavior patterns. You are quick to make assumptions and firm in your flimsy beliefs. You do not question the order of things becuase up to this point they have worked out how you see them. I know your world of birth.

He seems to think for a second

Malfi it was. I personally only vaguely remember some reference to it but I am sure with a little work I could know full well what that means. Indeed if the detective had not stepped in I am sure I would know a lot more about you sir. Now for the fine detective, I know his identity and his basic personality. He is strong willed but breaks down to basic humor when faced with his nerves. He has had experience with the world and thus has garnered a certain amount of distrust however he still respects the authority figures and thus trust thier "facts." He is a man who seeks order in his life even if he must force it. Like a good arbites.

Quint sighs again

That is what I can provide for this team. A simple analysis of a situation without revealing all the pithy little details of my, or our intentions. This is ability you two unfortunately seem to lack

Vikingkingq
2010-08-10, 01:34 PM
Atreus ignores the gunfighter completely, and turns to the detective. "Very well. If we're to take an entirely covert route, do you agree that attempting to make purchases - in which case we need to establish cover identities with that in mind - is the likeliest route towards mapping the cold trade network on Carthis, or do you have another investigative strategy in mind?"

crazedloon
2010-08-10, 08:42 PM
Quint

It won't work.

Quint sighs obviously annoyed at his companions disregard to his previous attempt to indicate a bad plan.

You will at best be able to identify a few fences maybe a middle man. Digging any further as a "buyer" will draw suspicion and a quick death. In order to as you say map out this black market we need to become part of it.

Quint looks the two men up and down judging their weapons.

If you are any good with that handcannon, and if you don't speak to much, we may be able to pass you two off as hired guns. All we need is a incentive to be hired. If we can be hired as hired guns we should soon be paroling and protecting any shipments.

Quint closes his eyes for a moment as if in thought

What we need is a little pressure on the market to force an increase in security so that armed men will be needed. Inquisitor what sort of resources could we wield to bluff an investigation as it is rather unlikely we can be in two places at once. The locals can not be trusted to put up a proper distraction.

Lycan 01
2010-08-10, 09:05 PM
"To bluff an investigation?" Inquisitor Kaede arches an eyebrow. "As far is Inquisitorial resources go, you don't have much. You'll have to rely on yourselves, and what you can come up with on your own. Perhaps you could drop some anonymous hints to the Arbites, and see if they turn up the heat on the Black Market. Or you could arrange a "deal gone bad" to spook the other traders into hiring more muscle. Or you could pose as buyers, interogate the dealer you meet, and then take over his operation long enough to find out how the supply chain works. I'm not sure, to be honest. You have a variety of options."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-10, 09:14 PM
"To bluff an investigation?" Inquisitor Kaede arches an eyebrow. "As far is Inquisitorial resources go, you don't have much. You'll have to rely on yourselves, and what you can come up with on your own. Perhaps you could drop some anonymous hints to the Arbites, and see if they turn up the heat on the Black Market. Or you could arrange a "deal gone bad" to spook the other traders into hiring more muscle. Or you could pose as buyers, interogate the dealer you meet, and then take over his operation long enough to find out how the supply chain works. I'm not sure, to be honest. You have a variety of options."

"While I'll admit that I'm a good shot with the old Carnodon, I can't pass as a hired gun for long enough. Moreover, at best, that gets us in with one operation, not the entire market.

"What if we set up a reverse auction? If we make the supposed pay-out rich enough, we might draw the network to us in one place, and interrogate the lot."

"I think either that, or the Lord Inquisitor's suggestion is the best way to go."

Bowerbird
2010-08-10, 10:38 PM
"Alright, let's see. I assume this Xeno-Tech would be incredibly expensive, thus the lower scum won't be able to afford it. I propose a slightly modified version of Atreus' idea. We show up as buyers, however Quint has a point, it is entirely likely that you won't be the kind of buyer they expect. I propose we play to their expectations. Atreus will be a noble from Malfi, looking to buy himself something shiny and he heard that this was the place to get it. Quint is his bodyguard, obviously with more street smarts, and I shall be his advisor, one who does the negotiating and knows what's worth what. Sound good? Opinions?"

Vikingkingq
2010-08-10, 10:59 PM
"Alright, let's see. I assume this Xeno-Tech would be incredibly expensive, thus the lower scum won't be able to afford it. I propose a slightly modified version of Atreus' idea. We show up as buyers, however Quint has a point, it is entirely likely that you won't be the kind of buyer they expect. I propose we play to their expectations. Atreus will be a noble from Malfi, looking to buy himself something shiny and he heard that this was the place to get it. Quint is his bodyguard, obviously with more street smarts, and I shall be his advisor, one who does the negotiating and knows what's worth what. Sound good? Opinions?"

"That accords with my opinion. However, it may well be that a reverse auction - perhaps under the cover that the noble in question is a lazy snob who doesn't want to waste his time running between merchant's tents and is willing to pay a premium for them to come to him? - might be more efficient.

What do you think of the idea?"

crazedloon
2010-08-11, 12:55 AM
Quint

Quint grunts exasperatedly as the two men obviously do not understand.

Unless we are dealing with true idiots

He pauses a moment as if debating whether he wants to say the next bit

which we may be

he sounds like he doesn't believe it and only admits it to appease the others whom seem so convinced of crimes dumber half.

Each plan at best will get you a fence or two at best. If you do not know what a fence is it is the men who are the least in the know about an operation. They receive products from a middle man who in the smallest network gets their products from a source and in larger their can be many middlemen before the source. If there are some truly desperate fences who want to drop all their wears as soon as possible you may, and I highly doubt it, may get a man or two to show up at your ridiculous reverse auction. If we seek to buy we will meet a fence who will most likely not give up his middle man. But perhaps your interrogation skills are what you crack them up to be and we get a middle man but by then the source will have disappeared. If I am not mistaken this is coming from 1 source anything more and we have more than a slight problem.

He takes his sleeved hand from his face which had been rubbing the bridge of his nose.

As I said this is no simple smash and grab that you wish to make it. It requires a certain amount of finesse which our small group may not have the resources for. If we get lucky we might be able to discover a middle man, perhaps with the cover of a frugal noble.

He grunts at what he sees as a truly ridiculous idea.

And perhaps give ourselves a head start at before the source disappears but even that is a risk. If we could identify two middlemen without revealing ourselves in any manner, we could approach the one and proposition ourselves as men able to destroy competition by showing the incompetence of the rival middle man. We propose interrupting a drop for the "rival" middleman. If we are lucky and the network is small enough this will get us the men who work for the source or if we are lucky the source itself.

Quint closes his eyes once more in thought. His tone up to this point is grimmer than it has been as if he does not believe in his plan.

How did our informant discover this trade route to begin with.

Lycan 01
2010-08-11, 01:54 AM
"He had a few underworld connections, and knew where to look for certain things. He was doing undercover work, hush hush sort of stuff, and came across a few dealers offering him some samples of Xenotech. He wasn't able to follow up on it, though, since he was working on another, more important assignment. Finding out the full extent of this operation is your job..." Inquisitor Kaede points at the Acolytes.

crazedloon
2010-08-11, 02:05 AM
Quint

Do you know who his contacts were?

Lycan 01
2010-08-11, 02:10 AM
"As I've said before, no. But, he mentioned something in the report about visiting the local obscura den. A typical gathering place for scum and villainy, I'm sure it'd be a good place to start..."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-11, 02:43 AM
"As I've said before, no. But, he mentioned something in the report about visiting the local obscura den. A typical gathering place for scum and villainy, I'm sure it'd be a good place to start..."

"Well, I suppose we could stop in there for a bit. Purely for investigative purposes, obviously."

You're a very bad sponsor, Lycan. We're supposed to be keeping him off the stuff. Seriously, you have no idea how hard it was to to avoid sliding straight into comedy there. :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2010-08-14, 01:39 AM
There is a sudden knock at the door. Inquisitor Kaede stares at the door for several seconds, then rises to his feet without a word. He walks over to the door, and steps outside. After a few moments of silence, he steps back into the room, and sighs. "It would seem..." he begins, "That Carthis is no longer our concern. It is now a matter for the Imperial Guard and the Astartes to handle - the Eldar have launched an all-out assault on the world."

Returning to his desk, Inquisitor Kaede sits down and begins to rummage through several drawers. "I suppose I should find you another assignment then, unless you want to take part in a full-scale xeno counter-assault. Lets see what I can dig up..." the Witch Hunter says as he pulls a set of data slates out of his desk and begins to fiddle with them.

Talkkno
2010-08-14, 06:19 AM
Asteroth
A young man almost seemingly dragging himself awake from a self inducted mediation dragged himself into the room. He had black hair, cut sharpely in a milltary style, wearing ragged robes that marked him as a psyker. A chattalium ring dangled to form a necklace. He breathed deeply as he took a stock at the people around him, his mind now fully in realized within the mortal coil.

"Apologize for the late entrance Inquisitor. I hope I have not missed anything of import." The psyker kowtowed slightly, grateful that his lord was one of the few people that appericaited and shared the psyker's gift.

"Greetings, my name Asteroth, Aspirtant for the Scholastisa Psykana. He said as evenly as possible, though a edge of nervousness creeped in regardless, unused to working with such diverse rough looking group and mindful of Imperial sediments toward his kind were usually met with fire.....

Psyniscience 42 [roll0] Detecting the relative physic power Inquisitor Kaede

Lycan 01
2010-08-14, 02:29 PM
"You have not missed much. The mission I was planning to give you all has been effectively cancelled. So, now I have to come up with a new assignment the four of you can handle. Shouldn't take long. Feel free to mingle with the new members of your Cell while I peruse my files..." Inquisitor Kaede nods at the Psyker.

You can't detect any trace of Psychic power from the Inquisitor. Either you can't focus enough in your half-awake state, he doesn't have much to show, or he's a master at masking his true level of power. But your awkward attempt at gauging his power level would not have gone unnoticed if he were a truely powerful Psyker. He either chose not to say anything about it, or he isn't strong enough to pick up on it...

Bowerbird
2010-08-15, 03:22 AM
Cromwell resumes his seat and folds his arms, "No thank you, Inquisitor, I think I'll pass on the Imperial Guard thing." He looks up as the psyker makes his entrance, "Oh, good to meet you. Never worked with a psyker before."

Talkkno
2010-08-15, 05:23 AM
Asteroth eyes were raised slightly at the arbitrator comments and mutters.
"You certainly are quite genial arbitator, many arbities would have taken a far more hostile towards my presence....."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-15, 04:58 PM
"Charmed, I'm sure. Lho-stick?"

crazedloon
2010-08-15, 05:03 PM
Quint

Quint looks the newcomer up and down.

No need to worry about hostility Asteroth. There is plenty of that towards me to go around.

He almost smiles before once more closing his eyes and waiting for the Inquisitor.

Lycan 01
2010-08-15, 07:11 PM
"Anyone have any experience with Witch Hunts?" Inquisitor Kaede suddenly asks, an eager grin decorating his bearded face. "Because if so, it will come in handy for your new mission."

Setting a data-slate down on the desk in front of him, the aged Witch Hunter eyes each of his newest Acolytes. "Your mission is simple. The Imperial world of Excalibur is a very backwater and technologically backwards world. It is still a world where a suit of chainmail and a crossbow are top of the line technology, fuedal lords and knights rule over peasants, and superstition permeats every facet of life. The most Tech you'll see might be an "antique" Laslock or a jurry-rigged pure-promethium Flamethrower. Over the last few months, there has been a spike in Witch Hunts. A massive spike. Three years ago, they burnt about three Witches at the stake. From what reports we've recieved, the total thus far for this year has already surpassed twenty. Something is causing the populace to be more paranoid and find more signs of Warpcraft amongst their own. It may be something stirring up their simple superstitions, it may be a true increase in Psyker births. Both options can have serious consequences. Thus, you will be travelling to the planet, and getting to the bottom of this. The local Ecclisiarchy have volunteered to aid you in your endevour - after all, it is their representatives who oversee the interogations executions, unless the peasants get there first..." he says grimly.

Talkkno
2010-08-15, 09:55 PM
"I believe enlisting the Ecclesiary would be unwise decision. Even the most tolerant of clerics would possess a degree of unease at my presence, and doubtless I would draw animosity at best and outright violence at worst. Given superstitious primitive lot we are dealing with, I'm more prone to believe the latter is more likely outcome..." Asteroth remarks, as he waves away the lho-stick.

Lycan 01
2010-08-15, 10:10 PM
"Several of the Ecclesiarchy, or at least the Abbot in charge of the main mission on Excalibur, are off-worlders and missionaries. And they know the difference between a Witch and a Sanctioned Psyker. They know full well what they're bargaining with by offering the Inquisition aid. I don't think you'd have any problem with them, unless you give them reason to doubt your devotion or stability. But, the peasants and common folk on the other hand..." Inquisitor Kaede grins darkly, "Those are the ones you need to watch out for. Keep the Warpcraft to a minimum around them, unless you're an expert Pyromancer..." he winks.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-16, 12:31 AM
"Anyone have any experience with Witch Hunts?" Inquisitor Kaede suddenly asks, an eager grin decorating his bearded face. "Because if so, it will come in handy for your new mission."

Setting a data-slate down on the desk in front of him, the aged Witch Hunter eyes each of his newest Acolytes. "Your mission is simple. The Imperial world of Excalibur is a very backwater and technologically backwards world. It is still a world where a suit of chainmail and a crossbow are top of the line technology, fuedal lords and knights rule over peasants, and superstition permeats every facet of life. The most Tech you'll see might be an "antique" Laslock or a jurry-rigged pure-promethium Flamethrower. Over the last few months, there has been a spike in Witch Hunts. A massive spike. Three years ago, they burnt about three Witches at the stake. From what reports we've recieved, the total thus far for this year has already surpassed twenty. Something is causing the populace to be more paranoid and find more signs of Warpcraft amongst their own. It may be something stirring up their simple superstitions, it may be a true increase in Psyker births. Both options can have serious consequences. Thus, you will be travelling to the planet, and getting to the bottom of this. The local Ecclisiarchy have volunteered to aid you in your endevour - after all, it is their representatives who oversee the interogations executions, unless the peasants get there first..." he says grimly.

Atreus strokes his chin. "At the very least, the Ecclesiarchy should have maintained some records of these witch hunts. We'll need access to these, to see if there are any incidents of the open use of psychic powers. Hopefully, we can then use your abilities in a circumspect fashion to sort out the artefacts of fear from solid evidence.

"I recall from a Belasco Solstice Dance a few years ago where the different Houses had their pet psykers compete in a game of Hide and Seek, where they had to pick one another out of a crowded room. There were no lightning bolts or explosions, nothing memorable. Could you detect another psyker, or whether psychic powers had been active without a noticeable manifestation?"

crazedloon
2010-08-16, 12:37 AM
Quint

Quint sighed softly to himself his eyes still closed. Now this was a business he knew little about. He had been hired a few times to kill a would be psyker and once or twice the claim might have been true but witch hunts on a mudball were not his cup of tea and he was not happy about the prospect.

Inquisitor what sort of habs do these feudal people have? A proper imperial establishment?

Lycan 01
2010-08-16, 12:47 AM
"Are you talking to me or Asteroth, Atreus?" Inquisitor Kaede arches an eyebrow. "I will not be joining you on this mission. While I am a Witch Hunter, I have higher priority missions to attend to. My ship leaves in the morning, in fact, so you may not see me again for quite some time..."

"Hm?" he turns his attention to Quint. "Define proper. There are a few well-constructed buildings on the planet. I hear the Cathedral is quite beautiful, and artifact in and of itself. But the common folk do not live in traditional habs, at least not the type you'd be used to. I believe hovel would be the proper term. Thatched roof cottages and the like, with a few brick and mortar buildings intermixed. Very backwards and antiquated, I'm afraid."

crazedloon
2010-08-16, 01:44 AM
Quint

Quint groans on the inside. He didn't know how people could live like that.

Are the locals used to tech or will our weapons and attire scare them into thinking we are witches.

Lycan 01
2010-08-16, 01:55 AM
"Your weapons and attire may catch them off guard and make them slightly nervous, but we're not talking about tribal savages. Surely they'll understand that you're travellers and servants of the Imperium, and not lunatics or Witches. They know what guns, las weapons, and armor are, I assume. But something like a plasma pistol or meltagun would likely strike them as Warpcraft and earn you an angry mob. None of you are packing one of those, or so I would assume, and thus I don't think you'll have much to worry about. As long as you don't give them a reason to think you're Witches, they should go jumping to conclussions just from seeing you..."

Talkkno
2010-08-16, 02:03 AM
"I recall from a Belasco Solstice Dance a few years ago where the different Houses had their pet psykers compete in a game of Hide and Seek, where they had to pick one another out of a crowded room. There were no lightning bolts or explosions, nothing memorable. Could you detect another psyker, or whether psychic powers had been active without a noticeable manifestation?"[/B]

"Certainly, for while they may leave no detectable presence in the matterium, within the warp the manifestation of a physic powers are as subtle as a grox herd unless the psyker takes care of hiding its presence....then it becomes the "Hide and Seek" game you described. Though I must note even the most cautious and disciplined user will inevitably leave traces, that given enough time and effort can find traced. All things leave a impression in the warp, even feelings, thoughts, and dreams....I digress. however it shouldn't prove too difficult to track down these witches, untrained and unsure, they should be leaking traces and manifestations not too unlike dragging around a fresh slain corpse." Asteroth replies evenly, with slight hint of excitement as he muttered his digression, as he turned the Inquisitor.

"How will we contact you for extraction?"

Lycan 01
2010-08-16, 02:14 AM
"Once you have accomplished your mission, you should be able to use their spaceport's Astropaths, as archaic as their systems may be, to send a message here. If I am unavailable, one of my Interogators should be able to retrieve you. Failing that, you can probably book passage on a transport or Rogue Trader vessel, though you may have to wait for one to actually arrive. Shouldn't be too long of a wait, though. A week or so, perhaps?"

crazedloon
2010-08-16, 02:20 AM
Quint

Quint winces at the idea of spending more time on such a mudball.

Well I would say we know just about enough. If you could Inquisitor I would not mind some files on the locals, their customs, leaders, and anything you have about their witch hunting practices. Barring any details about this planet any similar planet will do.

If he was going to suffer he was going to be informed and suffer.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-16, 02:30 AM
"Certainly, for while they may leave no detectable presence in the matterium, within the warp the manifestation of a physic powers are as subtle as a grox herd unless the psyker takes care of hiding its presence....then it becomes the "Hide and Seek" game you described. Though I must note even the most cautious and disciplined user will inevitably leave traces, that given enough time and effort can find traced. All things leave a impression in the warp, even feelings, thoughts, and dreams....I digress. however it shouldn't prove too difficult to track down these witches, untrained and unsure, they should be leaking traces and manifestations not too unlike dragging around a fresh slain corpse." Asteroth replies evenly, with slight hint of excitement as he muttered his digression, as he turned the Inquisitor.

"Good. Then as long as we're...reasonably cautious, we should avoid any torch-wielding mobs." Atreus stands, leaning slightly on his walking stick. "My lord Inquisitor, I shall make ready to depart. In the name of the Emperor, adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est."

Yes, Atreus was talking to the psyker, I just quoted the wrong bit of text.
Atreus will pack his things and be ready to leave for Excalibur.

Lycan 01
2010-08-16, 02:39 AM
"Its your typical fuedal world. Mostly agricultrual, the majority of the population centers are small towns and hamlets scattered across the countryside. Clusters of these settlements and large swaths of land fall under a local duke, count, or what-have-you. Surprisingly, these lords and landowners get along quite well, aside from the occassional spat usually resolved by a duel or small militia clash. There's no planetary governor, rather these nobles make decisions as a voting body - an oligarchy, I believe it is called. They handle all the government and economics. The people themselves, though, are more influenced and cared for by the Church. There are a few small Ecclesiarchy outposts, but the main mission is the Cathedral of Saint Arthur, a modest seat of power by most Ecclesiarchy standards."

"The culture and customs are bit outdated, but recent missionary work and Ecclesiarchy education has begun to spread education and civility amongst the masses. They'd made great strides over the last few years into bringing this planet forward, I hear. The peasants are still quite superstitious, though, and even education can't help that."

"Their Witch Hunting is the traditional sort - if it looks like a Witch, sounds like a Witch, and acts like a Witch... its a Witch. Even if its just an ugly old woman who's done nothing wrong, pleas of innocence do not easily sway an angry mob. Of course, they sometimes get it right. Backwoods worlds like this are home to "home remedies" which border on Warp sorcery, and the occassional Nascent Psyker pops up. But all it takes is a bad crop, a long drought, stillborn livestock, or a plague to make people start pointing fingers and looking for answers. And of course, even if a person claims to be innocent, they don't stay that way for long. If the crowd doesn't pass its own verdict, an interogation by a zealous priest is usually enough to gain a confession - sometimes through questionable means."

Its your traditional Medieval world ruled by superstition and a few wealthy nobles. The nobles are a bit hands-off, though, and actually do a good job of running the planet. The peasants and populace are really more of the Ecclesiarchy's territory.

Translation please, Viking? :smalltongue:

Talkkno
2010-08-16, 12:01 PM
"Good. Then as long as we're...reasonably cautious, we should avoid any torch-wielding mobs." Atreus stands, leaning slightly on his walking stick.

Asteroth nods affirmatively, as he fiddles with his ring for a moment, glowing a soft argent to the touch.

"Any particulars to the rules of engagement, my lord? Capture or kill? If it is the former, will we have any torpor available?" The psyker asks curiously, as he mutters a aside.

"Though I have yet to master more the fundamentals, is there any particular focus you would like me to direct my efforts?" He remarks towards the Inquisitor.

Lycan 01
2010-08-16, 03:24 PM
"Capture or kill? I'd suggest you do whatever is the best option in your own opinions at the time. I wouldn't execute every potential Witch, given the high statistics of innocense, but I also wouldn't lower my guard. As for Torpor, I've afraid I can't just hand out the stuff..." he shrugs. "But, if you have the Thrones, I may have some on hand in my personally armory. Just go speak with the Acolyte in charge, and he'll set you up a deal. As for the disciplines you should follow, that is your own business and your own decision. I have no suggestions or influence on that matter..."

Talkkno
2010-08-16, 04:21 PM
Asteroth nods demurely at the reply.

"I believe that answers all my questions, does anyone else have anythign else say? Or shall we embark?"

Lycan 01
2010-08-18, 02:46 AM
DEATH RECON
Act 1 - Landfall

Five days have passed since the Acolytes were given their mission by the Inquisitor. A little string pulling and exchanging of Throne Gelt ensured them passage aboard a small Rogue Trader vessel, "conveniently" scheduled to make a stop by Excalibur on its next trade run. Nothing of importance transpires during this voyage, aside from a few suspicious looks from crew members and laborers aboard the starship. The Warp currents are favorable for the voyage, and rather than a week or so in the Empyream, the vessel arrives in the Excalibur system over a day ahead of schedule. Before long, the Acolytes are hustled aboard a Valkyrie-class dropship, along with their items and gear.

Strapped into the crash-seats lining the walls of the Valkyrie's interior, the Acolytes can only hold on for dear life as the ship departs from the Rogue Trader vessel and streaks towards the blue and green planet beneath them. As the planet breaks through the atmosphere of Excalibur, the Acolytes are thrashed to and fro by the turbulence. But they're all seasoned servants of the Inquisition, and this is likely not the first or second time they've experienced a planetary drop. Once the dropship finishes breaking through the atmosphere, the turbulence subsides, and the Acolytes are finally able to unstrap themselves and actually carry on a conversation. "We will be arriving on the outskirts of Gallehad in an estimate of five minutes," a mechanical voice drones through the speakers above the entrance to the cockpit, the pilot's Engineseer passing on his message to the passengers.

The world of Excalibur, being so far behind the times, has no official spaceport. Instead, large fields on the outskirts of major cities are set aside for landing craft to use. In this case, the ship was going to be landing on the outskirts of Gallehad, the location of the Cathedral of Saint Arthur and the Ecclesiarchy's seat of power on Excalibur. A large city by Excalibur standards, its nothing more than a large town by most Imperial standards, its population barely above 1000. Aside from the Ecclesiarchy, there should also be several stores and businesses to visit, and other sources of information. The Acolytes still have some time to plan before they make landfall. Once they disembark from the Valkyrie, they will be on their own...

crazedloon
2010-08-18, 03:19 AM
Quint

Quint spends the time in the landing vessel strapped in with his arms folded and his head lulling on his chest with eyes closed as if asleep. He hated space travel but than there was no way around it. This was starting out to be a horrible assignment.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-18, 12:42 PM
Wendyll smokes irritably as the ship descends, more used to the genteel accommodations of a luxury shuttle than a bone-rattling dropship. "Well gentlemen, since we've all survived our voyage...we should establish a base of operations and begin our investigations. I'll begin by going through the Ecclesiarchy's records and winnowing out any genuine cases as I can find."

crazedloon
2010-08-18, 12:45 PM
Quint

Quint still with closed eyes looks up

I shall attempt to make some contacts with the locals.

Talkkno
2010-08-18, 01:46 PM
"Agreed, we should contact the Abott first to get a measure of the local situation."

Bowerbird
2010-08-19, 05:59 PM
Cromwell awakes from his dozing with a start, "Gah! Oh, sorry, atmospheric entry always makes me a little drowsy. Umm, I'll ask around, try and get the lay of the land, see what the situation is, I guess."

Lycan 01
2010-08-19, 08:15 PM
The Valkyrie dropship lands in a large grassy field near the outskirts of Gallehad. In short order, the Acolytes disembark along with their equipment and gear, almost all of which they can carry on their backs. A small crowd has gathered on the outskirts of the field, near a large archway in the stone wall surrounding the city. The group is essentially a handfull of peasants, most of them in rags and tatters, though a few finer dressed men and women dot the 20-strong crowd. They are all oggling the ship that just landed, though a few have taken an interest in the strange men stepping out of it. As the Acolytes approach, some of the peasants wordlessly take a step or two back, and a few children in the crowd cower behind their mothers.

Not a word is said, perhaps out of awe, perhaps out of fear. The citizens merely step aside and allow the Acolytes to enter the city through the stone archway. The city itself is barely worthy of being described with such a term - there are only a few hundred buildings, most of which are simple wood, mud, and brick structures with thatched roofs. There are several better constructed buildings, made from brick, mortar, or sturdy wooden architecture. These are mostly businesses and places of importance, such as taverns, inns, and general stores. There are other miscellanious stores scattered throughout the settlement, ranging from butcher shops to bakeries to blacksmiths. There are a few open-air markets, selling food, produce, and various knick-knacks. And then there's a large sturdy 2-floor structure flying the planetary flag of Excalibur, a banner embrazoned with a steel gauntlet holding a sword - it is safe to assume this would be the town hall or some seat of government.

In the center of Gallehad, however, is a building all but impossible to miss. It is a large stone Cathedral, its main body a 3-storie Sanctuary with stained glass windows decorating all sides of it, with two large towers stretching into the sky from either end of its peaked tile roof. The tower overlooking the main entrance is decorated with several stained-glass windows, marking it as perhaps an office or watchtower of some sort, while the tower situated above the rear of the church houses a large bronze bell, which tolls with a thundering echo to mark the noon hour just as the Acolytes approach it. This, obviously, is the Cathedral of Saint Arthur.

The group splits up as the approach the center of town. Atreus and Asteroth head for the Cathedral, while Quint and Cromwell decide to visit the center of town and mingle with the citizens.

---

Atreus and Asteroth

The two Acolytes approach the front entrance of the church. Immediately, a few things catch their attention. The front doors of the church are two large oaken gates, guarded by two helmeted men in heavy cloaks and iron armor with "antique" Laslock rifles resting against their shoulders. To the right side of them, the wall is decorated in parchment and signs - a town message board, of sorts. To the left side of the gate and guards, there's a sign on the wall with two small boxes in front of it. They notice a peasant woman scribbling something on a piece of parchment, then dropping it and a few small coins into the larger of the two boxes. There is also a friendly-faced friar in brown monk robes holding an aquila charm in his hands standing a few feet out in front of the entrance, calmly speaking to a few small children who are listening eagerly to him.

Quint and Cromwell

The gunslinger and the detective make their way through the town, looking for places of interest or people worth talking to. They notice a two-floor tavern with a few older men playing some sort of board game in front of it, a few various shops and stores, and of coure the open-air town market. The majority of the citizens look like peasants, clad in patched and worn clothes and cloaks, while there are also plenty of better dressed citizens and civilians. Occassionally a man or two will pass them by clad in metal armor and a white cloak, carrying some sort of weapon - a sword, a pike, a crossbow, and even a few Laslock rifles. These armored men, or at least those who's faces are not obscured by a steel helmet, give the two Acolytes curious glances, or grim nods and stares warning them to stay out of trouble. The majority of the populace, though, ignore the Acolytes, or at least try to look like they are. It can't be missed that some people are staring in awe or fear, or whispering heatedly amongst themselves as the two men from the stars pass them by.

crazedloon
2010-08-19, 09:13 PM
Quint

Before leaving with the detective Quint checks the comm system with the others to assure some basic communication. Once He and the detective have parted ways with the others he begins to look from side to side taking in the entire city as the amble through it.

Detective you may be better at finding information in this sort of place than I so I would say it your lead for now.

However even after saying that it seems quint is looking around for something as they walk.

looking for any signs of an underworld. drug peddlers or men who seem to disappear when the armor clad men walk past. Also looking for any over zealous locals who may be taking too much of an interest in us and following us for a while.

[roll0] vs 36

Lycan 01
2010-08-19, 09:23 PM
Nothing jumps out at Quint, at least nothing obscenely obvious. The tavern may have a few shady characters in it, but there's no sure sign of criminal influence. While he doesn't see any obvious criminals or illicit peddlers, there is the occasional shadowy figure lurking in an alleyway, or a cloaked man with darting eyes dissappearing in and out of a crowd - nothing more than cut-purses and pickpockets, more than likely. There are plenty of people taking an interest in the strangers, but no one seems to want to be obvious or make a big deal about it. They quickly avert their eyes once noticed, and no one seems to be following the Acolytes.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-19, 11:01 PM
Domus walks confidently up to the gates of the Cathedral and the two guards and plants his walking stick in the earth for a second. He makes the sign of the aquilla before addressing the guards, discretely nudging Asteroth to do the same, and then recovers the stick. "In the name of the Emperor, I bid you good morning. I am the Lord Atreus, servant of His Most Holy Inquisition; my comrade and I have come to interview with the Abbot. Go and announce our arrival, my good man."

While he waits, Atreus will discretely scan the message board for any pertinent information.

If it's necessary/useful in uncovering any information from the board:
Literacy [roll0] vs. 40
Lore (Imperium, Legends, Cults) check [roll1] vs. 40

Lycan 01
2010-08-19, 11:12 PM
The two men turn their helmed heads at each other, then back at Atreus. "You may enter as you will, sir. The Abbott is always willing to entertain visitors, from paupers to princes. May the Emperor bless you," one of the men nods at you, while the other gestures at the door.

The bulletin board is covered in pamphlets advertising local market deals, parchment declarations of meetings and events, and various advertisements and announcements. Not much of anything seems out of the ordinary, and this is the common method of communication on the more fuedal and backwards worlds of the Imperium.

Please make all Lore tests seperately. I counted the 7 for Lore (Imperium).

Vikingkingq
2010-08-19, 11:25 PM
The two men turn their helmed heads at each other, then back at Atreus. "You may enter as you will, sir. The Abbott is always willing to entertain visitors, from paupers to princes. May the Emperor bless you," one of the men nods at you, while the other gestures at the door.

The bulletin board is covered in pamphlets advertising local market deals, parchment declarations of meetings and events, and various advertisements and announcements. Not much of anything seems out of the ordinary, and this is the common method of communication on the more fuedal and backwards worlds of the Imperium.

Please make all Lore tests seperately. I counted the 7 for Lore (Imperium).

"Very well. Which way might we find him?" After receiving directions, Atreus will go find the Abbot.

I wasn't sure which applied.

Lycan 01
2010-08-19, 11:37 PM
"Enter the church, and ascend the stairs. His office is at the top of the tower," one guard explains, while the other points up above them. "Speak with the men at his door, and they should let you in."

When in doubt, roll each possible check seperately, and I'll just apply the ones that can count for that situation.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-19, 11:43 PM
"Enter the church, and ascend the stairs. His office is at the top of the tower," one guard explains, while the other points up above them. "Speak with the men at his door, and they should let you in."

When in doubt, roll each possible check seperately, and I'll just apply the ones that can count for that situation.

Stairs. Why did it have to be stairs? Atreus smiles thinly and nods, walking past the guards. Ascending the staircase with a stoic look on his face, the adeptus has to pause once or twice on the way up to ease the pressure on his bad leg. Right before he reaches the top of the stairs, he takes a minute to catch his breath, smooth out his clothes and his hair, and compose himself before he addresses the men at the Abbot's door.

"The Lord Atreus, servant of His Most Holy Inquisition, and associate, to see the Abbot."

Talkkno
2010-08-20, 12:36 AM
Asteroth follows Atreus quitely, taking care to avoid his habits that would attract attention, twiddling his thumbs to resist touching his psy focus, that bought him a degree of clarity and focus in normal situations. He was dressed similarly to the adapt, his Pyskana robes would easily mark him as a witch or worse.........

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 01:00 AM
Entering the Cathedral, the two Acolytes discover the inside to be rather beautiful, with hardwood floors and well-designed brick-and-mortar walls, as well as a high-vaulted ceiling. A large Aquila statue hangs over the pulpit at the far end of the Sanctuary beyond a great many number of pews, and several tall stained-glass windows along the walls filter various colors of light into the house of worship. There are a few citizens sitting in the pews or kneeling before the sanctuary, and a handful of monks and nuns in brown and black robes can be seen cleaning the floors and talking to various peasants in need of religeous guidance. No one pays the Acolytes any mind, aside from a few short glances or quizical looks.

The two Acolytes make their way up the spiral staircase towards the Abbott's office, passing by several small windows and unlit torches resting in their iron brackets. Eventually, they get to the top, and find a heavy wooden door with a pair of guards. The men are wearing full plate armor, armed with halberds clutched at ease and a brace of flintlock pistols at their waists. The two men turn to look at the Acolytes, their armor creaking with every slight movement. "The Inquisition?" one of them asks. "Oh, right. You must be here about the Witch Hunts. Abbott Maxwell mentioned that somebody may arrive to see him. You may enter..." he nods with a metallic squeek.

The Acolytes enter the Abbott's office, hopefully after knocking first, and find a small room with bookshelves and stained-glass windows lining the circular walls. The Abbott is seated behind his desk, casually munching on a bowl of some pudding-esque substance while casually reading over a scroll in his other hand. His eyes light up as the Acolytes enter, and a grin spreads across his pudgy face. "Ah, hello! I overheard your introduction to my guards. My name is Abbott Enriko Maxwell, and I am happy to meet you both!" he exclaims, rising to his feet and extending a hand across his desk for shaking.

The Abbott is a somewhat short and pudgy man, clad in purple robes and the regalia of his office, including a rather fancy hat and several silver and gold rings. His hair is short and black, his eyes brown and intent, and his face jovial and friendly. One of his most striking features is his mustache, which looks like a black zig-zag with the way it twists and waves beneath his small pink nose. "I understand you're hear about the Witch Hunts? Nasty business..." he frowns, shaking his head. He then gestures at a few empty wooden chairs resting across the room for guests to use. "Please, will you take a seat?"

Talkkno
2010-08-20, 01:29 AM
Asteroth nods as he sits as directed, avoiding the cleric's eyes as he speaks.

"Asteroth, aspirant of the Scholasta Psykana at your service. " He says evenly with a deep breath, as he makes a brief nod to his fellow acolyte to make his introduction before beginning his inquires.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-20, 01:36 AM
Atreus shakes the man's hand. "Abbot Maxwell, a pleasure I'm sure." Collapsing into the chair with relief, he crosses his bad leg over the good, while resting his stick against the chair. "Thank you very kindly. I'm afraid this knee is something of a burden when it comes to a long flight of stairs like that."

I don't have Charm or anything like that, but I'll try a general Fellowship roll to try to get the Abbot into a mood that's well-disposed to answer some questions.
Fel: [roll0] vs. 49

"Now then, Father, let us discuss these witch hunts that my lord Inquisitor has dispatched us to investigate. I thought I should at least start with asking you, as the head of the Church here, a few questions if you don't mind." The adept pulls out his auto-quill and dataslate and prepares to take notes:

"Primus, I do not wish to seem impolite or mistrustful, but I must begin by asking - do you consider these outbreaks to be a genuine case of emergent psykers or are we dealing with mass hysteria?"

"Secundis, have you yourself been present at any of these Witch Trials, and could you describe what you witnessed?"

"Tertius, I understand that the number of witches discovered has increased dramatically in the last few months - do you know precisely when this increase began, and has the rate of increase been steady or irregular?"

"Quatrius, have the reported incidents been broadly distributed across Excalibur or have they been concentrated in any particular district?"

"Quintus, to the best of your knowledge, have the capture of these witches involved the public use of sorcery and/or violence, or have the accused been...processed without incident?"

If necessary:
Inquiry check: [roll1] vs. 49

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 02:32 AM
Abbott Maxwell gives Asteroth a smile and a nod, and he grins as he shakes Atreus' hand. It seems the scholar has made a good impression on the Cleric. "Good to meet you both. Lets see here, where do I start?" he sits back and scratches his chin.

"As to your first inquiry, it is not mistrustful at all. To be honest, I believe it is both. There has been a spike in true Witches, mutants, and practitioners of Warpcraft, though we are unsure how just how large a spike it is. There has also been a large increase of paranoia and hysteria, and it is a sad truth that some of the accused are possibly innocent victims of superstition and fear. However, once accused, we have little choice in the matter. To release them without punishment, no matter how innocent they seem, would be a gross sin. Ever vigilance against the Arch-Enemy is the responsibility of all who serve the Emperor - to lower our guard, even for the most sure of things, is to invite disaster. And to let an "innocent" Witch go would undoubtably anger the citizens, and lead to accusations of heresy, loss of trust, and even angry mobs. And besides..." the Abbott shrugs, "The Emperor shall know His Own, even if in life they were suspect."

"To your second question, my responsibilities often keep me locked within the confines of this tower and the walls of this grand Cathedral. We have a few Witch Hunters who do lead investigations and travel the countryside, overseeing any cases they come across before an angry mob can beat them to it. But, in the last few months, I have borne witness to three trials and executions. The first was an elderly man who made a trade as a soothsayer and fortune teller. He claimed his visions were a gift from the Emperor, but several witnesses came forward claiming they'd overheard and witnessed him swearing profane oaths and performing dark rituals in the midnight hours beneath the blood-red moon. He professed his innocence, but the number of witnesses, and his trade itself, made his case all but impossible to win. As his body burned, he roared out many blasphemous oaths and foul statements - the executioner shot him in the face to shut him up. The second was a fellow who's neighbors suffered from chronic illnesses and injury. They accused him of being a Witch, but before the trial could fully take place, it was discovered that he was concealing a mutation of the flesh he had borne for many a year. He was promptly burned... The third case, I'm sad to say, was likely a case of hysteria. A young servant girl at the local inn was accused of seducing a guest, and trying to steal his life's energy. Sure enough, he had fallen ill during his stay, and several witnesses overheard the... ahem... activities he described, nor did she deny that such events had transpired, though she swore she was no Witch. Other men came forward and said she'd attempted to seduce them, and that even those who had not known her had grown ill from being around her. It was a very convincing case at the time. Before her execution, the man's illness began to pass, and he recanted his accusations. But it was too little, too late. To retract the guilty verdict would have incited a riot. After her death, the man committed suicide - I feel he was overcome by guilt for condemning an innocent girl to death..." the Abbott sighs.

"Your third question... About five months ago, there was a small spike in Witch accusations. The peasants and rural villagers began to grow uneasy with fear, and murmers of superstition began to run throughout the countryside. We of the Church felt that such fears needed to be dealt with head on. We began to preach out against Witches and Warpcraft, trying to instil a sense of strength and devotion in a fearful populace. We succeeded, but it also helped to stir up further hysteria as well, I fear. Soon even more accusations began to fly - as I said, many true, some not. The increase has not be massive or anything, as far as well can tell. Its been a steady rise... We are not sure if this is because the number of Witches is actually increasing, or if we're simply catching more of the ones that were already there..."

"Question four. These incidents have mostly been concentrated in this hemisphere, as the other portions of Excalibur as not as well developed, nor do they have as strong of a Church pressence. Its mostly the surrounding villages and settlements scattered across the countryside. It would take days to journey out to some of them. Excalibur is quite sparsly populated..."

"Question five... urgh..." he shakes his head. "The majority of the accused have gone along peacefully. Perhaps they knew it was futile to resist, perhaps they thought it would help their chances. Its hard to fight off an angry mob, at any rate. But there was an incident two months ago, in the town of Gawain, where a man was accused of using dark magic to increase his fortunes and aid him in his business as a blacksmith. A few men in the village decided to act on the rumors and suspicions, and confronted him about it..." Abbott Maxwell pauses, and locks eyes with Atreus. "Witnesses stated that the flames they were struck by melted the flesh from their bones, and then reduced those to ash. Pandemonium erupted, and the Witch fled into the surrounding hills. Messengers went out the surrounding villagers, and a contingent of town guards and the church's own warrior-monks and crusaders was formed to hunt the Witch. He was hunted down and cornered on an old farm. He underestimated the number of men sent to hunt him down, and charged from the farm intent on burning his way out. He took eleven men with him. Over fourty more struck him with a hail of arrows, crossbow bolts, musket shot, and laslock blasts. He was utterly destroyed... But his legacy lives on, as that Witch's actions only further stoked the flames of fear and paranoia."

Talkkno
2010-08-20, 03:34 AM
Asteroth mutters a catechism, nodding in return.
"Only the Emperor can judge our sins, only in death can we receive the Emperor's judgment."

He begins to fiddle again with ring, as he takes it all in, deep in thought as he racks his brain for answers, as he asks.

"The suspected witches that are currently in capacity, have they been positively identified with warp taint by the sanctioned? If that is not the case, may I lend the talents to the task? Getting a accurate census would help determine if it is truly a spike or just hysteria. At the very least it would reduce the strain on your facilities, which must be straining at the limit, given your request for aid from the Holy Ordos..."

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 04:14 PM
"We do not have access to any Sanctioned Psykers here," the Abbott shakes his head. "Excalibur is quite the backwater world. As I said, we have a few Witch Hunters who oversee some of the investigations. They travel the countryside, in hopes that they'll stumble across town holding the Witch in captivitity rather than simply dealing with them at the hands of an angry mob. If you wish to aid in the investigations, be my guest. I would suggest you be delicate in how you go about it, though. Myself and several members of the Ecclesiarchy here are off-worlders, missionaries who came to this world to spread the Light of the Emperor. We know the difference between a Sanctioned Psyker and a Witch. Some of the peasants... do not..." he frowns. He then arches an eyebrow. "And I feel I should point out that we did not technically ask for aid. We've been able to handle the situation well enough, all things considered. But when we were informed that the Inquisition would be sending agents to investigate, we would have been daft to deny such an offer for help. After all, its better to know for sure that there's not some greater conspiracy at work, rather than it just being a freak spike of paranoia or somehting..."

Talkkno
2010-08-20, 04:31 PM
"Where are they being held captive? If you would give me permission, I wish to inspect them personally."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-20, 07:42 PM
Abbott Maxwell gives Asteroth a smile and a nod, and he grins as he shakes Atreus' hand. It seems the scholar has made a good impression on the Cleric. "Good to meet you both. Lets see here, where do I start?" he sits back and scratches his chin.

"As to your first inquiry, it is not mistrustful at all. To be honest, I believe it is both. There has been a spike in true Witches, mutants, and practitioners of Warpcraft, though we are unsure how just how large a spike it is. There has also been a large increase of paranoia and hysteria, and it is a sad truth that some of the accused are possibly innocent victims of superstition and fear. However, once accused, we have little choice in the matter. To release them without punishment, no matter how innocent they seem, would be a gross sin. Ever vigilance against the Arch-Enemy is the responsibility of all who serve the Emperor - to lower our guard, even for the most sure of things, is to invite disaster. And to let an "innocent" Witch go would undoubtably anger the citizens, and lead to accusations of heresy, loss of trust, and even angry mobs. And besides..." the Abbott shrugs, "The Emperor shall know His Own, even if in life they were suspect."

An honest enough answer, if a little self-serving. Unfortunately, his willingness to bow to the mob has now complicated this case with a host of false positives, Atreus thinks to himself while nodding appreciatively.

"To your second question, my responsibilities often keep me locked within the confines of this tower and the walls of this grand Cathedral. We have a few Witch Hunters who do lead investigations and travel the countryside, overseeing any cases they come across before an angry mob can beat them to it. But, in the last few months, I have borne witness to three trials and executions. The first was an elderly man who made a trade as a soothsayer and fortune teller. He claimed his visions were a gift from the Emperor, but several witnesses came forward claiming they'd overheard and witnessed him swearing profane oaths and performing dark rituals in the midnight hours beneath the blood-red moon. He professed his innocence, but the number of witnesses, and his trade itself, made his case all but impossible to win. As his body burned, he roared out many blasphemous oaths and foul statements - the executioner shot him in the face to shut him up. The second was a fellow who's neighbors suffered from chronic illnesses and injury. They accused him of being a Witch, but before the trial could fully take place, it was discovered that he was concealing a mutation of the flesh he had borne for many a year. He was promptly burned... The third case, I'm sad to say, was likely a case of hysteria. A young servant girl at the local inn was accused of seducing a guest, and trying to steal his life's energy. Sure enough, he had fallen ill during his stay, and several witnesses overheard the... ahem... activities he described, nor did she deny that such events had transpired, though she swore she was no Witch. Other men came forward and said she'd attempted to seduce them, and that even those who had not known her had grown ill from being around her. It was a very convincing case at the time. Before her execution, the man's illness began to pass, and he recanted his accusations. But it was too little, too late. To retract the guilty verdict would have incited a riot. After her death, the man committed suicide - I feel he was overcome by guilt for condemning an innocent girl to death..." the Abbott sighs.

"So in three cases, we have one possible psyker, one mutant, and one potential innocent. Hmmm. I'll need to examine the records of all the cases that you have to make a solid determination, but it does seem that there is some substance to this matter."

"Your third question... About five months ago, there was a small spike in Witch accusations. The peasants and rural villagers began to grow uneasy with fear, and murmers of superstition began to run throughout the countryside. We of the Church felt that such fears needed to be dealt with head on. We began to preach out against Witches and Warpcraft, trying to instil a sense of strength and devotion in a fearful populace. We succeeded, but it also helped to stir up further hysteria as well, I fear. Soon even more accusations began to fly - as I said, many true, some not. The increase has not be massive or anything, as far as well can tell. Its been a steady rise... We are not sure if this is because the number of Witches is actually increasing, or if we're simply catching more of the ones that were already there..."

"Question four. These incidents have mostly been concentrated in this hemisphere, as the other portions of Excalibur as not as well developed, nor do they have as strong of a Church pressence. Its mostly the surrounding villages and settlements scattered across the countryside. It would take days to journey out to some of them. Excalibur is quite sparsly populated..."

Atreus leans forward, his mind whirring through the possibilities. "Tell me - did the first spike, the one five months ago, have any particular concentration geographically? Did the date have any significance in local custom, folklore, or history? These early incidents - occurring before your judicious response unfortunately resulted in a number of potential false positives - may prove to be the heart of the matter."

"Question five... urgh..." he shakes his head. "The majority of the accused have gone along peacefully. Perhaps they knew it was futile to resist, perhaps they thought it would help their chances. Its hard to fight off an angry mob, at any rate. But there was an incident two months ago, in the town of Gawain, where a man was accused of using dark magic to increase his fortunes and aid him in his business as a blacksmith. A few men in the village decided to act on the rumors and suspicions, and confronted him about it..." Abbott Maxwell pauses, and locks eyes with Atreus. "Witnesses stated that the flames they were struck by melted the flesh from their bones, and then reduced those to ash. Pandemonium erupted, and the Witch fled into the surrounding hills. Messengers went out the surrounding villagers, and a contingent of town guards and the church's own warrior-monks and crusaders was formed to hunt the Witch. He was hunted down and cornered on an old farm. He underestimated the number of men sent to hunt him down, and charged from the farm intent on burning his way out. He took eleven men with him. Over fourty more struck him with a hail of arrows, crossbow bolts, musket shot, and laslock blasts. He was utterly destroyed... But his legacy lives on, as that Witch's actions only further stoked the flames of fear and paranoia."

Atreus smiles thinly, a small spark of interest appearing in his eyes. "Ah at last, some fire amidst the smoke. I shall endeavor to root out such incidents from the more ambiguous cases described above."

At that, the Adept stands and bows slightly. "My thanks for your time, Reverend Father. I would like to begin examination of your records as soon as possible - once I have uncovered a list of the most probable events, I shall call upon you, Asteroth, for confirmation.

Until such time, adieu. In Lux lucis Terram, nos vadum reperio verum."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-20, 07:44 PM
"And I feel I should point out that we did not technically ask for aid. We've been able to handle the situation well enough, all things considered. But when we were informed that the Inquisition would be sending agents to investigate, we would have been daft to deny such an offer for help. After all, its better to know for sure that there's not some greater conspiracy at work, rather than it just being a freak spike of paranoia or somehting..."

Domus nods and smiles. "Of course, Reverend Father. We merely endeavor to carry out our duty to Him on Terra as best we can, as do we all."

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 08:01 PM
"There was nothing to mark the sudden spike in suspected Witches, nor any pattern to it. A suspected Witch in this village, an old lady caught practicing Warpcraft in that hamlet... There wasn't anything coincidental as far as dates or events go. Its all just... random..." the Abbott shrugs.

"Glad I could be of service. If you wish to view our records, they can be found in our library. Simply ask one of the monks or sisters downstairs to help you find what you need, and they should be willing to help you. I should warn you, though, that our records on these matters are far from complete. We have a few case reports written up by Witch Hunters, several witnesses accounts, and various other papers. But there's no telling what really happened in some of the more rural areas, where fear got the better of the peasants..." he sighs.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-20, 08:12 PM
"There was nothing to mark the sudden spike in suspected Witches, nor any pattern to it. A suspected Witch in this village, an old lady caught practicing Warpcraft in that hamlet... There wasn't anything coincidental as far as dates or events go. Its all just... random..." the Abbott shrugs.

"Glad I could be of service. If you wish to view our records, they can be found in our library. Simply ask one of the monks or sisters downstairs to help you find what you need, and they should be willing to help you. I should warn you, though, that our records on these matters are far from complete. We have a few case reports written up by Witch Hunters, several witnesses accounts, and various other papers. But there's no telling what really happened in some of the more rural areas, where fear got the better of the peasants..." he sighs.

"Ah. Well. I didn't choose to serve the Inquisition because I was looking for an easy posting. I will make use of whatever materials are available."

Atreus makes his goodbyes and then carefully makes his way down the long spiral staircase to the ground floor, where he asks any passing monk for directions to the library.

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 08:28 PM
The Abbott bids the Acolyte(s) farewell for now. Once downstairs, it is easy to find an idle member of the Church willing to show the way to the library. Behind the pulpit on either side of the choir box are two small doors, which lead into the back of the Cathedral. The two doors both lead into hallways lined with various doors, and eventually intersect along the back wall of the church, judging from exit doors. A few doors along the hall are open, revealing small storage rooms, dormitories, and prayer rooms. The guide eventually opens a door and leads the Acolyte(s) in, showing them a small room with walls that almost seem to be made of books and loose parchment. It seems the bookshelves are full to capacity, and are by no means organized. There are even boxes of scrolls and tomes stacked up in the center of the room, as well as scraps of parchment litering the floor. The chuch member points out two boxes containing records dealing with the recent Witch Hunts, though other records may be scattered about the room. They then take their leave, leaving the Acolyte(s) to their work.

Needless to say, this may take awhile. How much time are you willing to devout to your research? Just a quick skim, a couple of hours, or are you going to be requesting candles? :smallamused:

Vikingkingq
2010-08-20, 08:48 PM
The Abbott bids the Acolyte(s) farewell for now. Once downstairs, it is easy to find an idle member of the Church willing to show the way to the library. Behind the pulpit on either side of the choir box are two small doors, which lead into the back of the Cathedral. The two doors both lead into hallways lined with various doors, and eventually intersect along the back wall of the church, judging from exit doors. A few doors along the hall are open, revealing small storage rooms, dormitories, and prayer rooms. The guide eventually opens a door and leads the Acolyte(s) in, showing them a small room with walls that almost seem to be made of books and loose parchment. It seems the bookshelves are full to capacity, and are by no means organized. There are even boxes of scrolls and tomes stacked up in the center of the room, as well as scraps of parchment litering the floor. The chuch member points out two boxes containing records dealing with the recent Witch Hunts, though other records may be scattered about the room. They then take their leave, leaving the Acolyte(s) to their work.

Needless to say, this may take awhile. How much time are you willing to devout to your research? Just a quick skim, a couple of hours, or are you going to be requesting candles? :smallamused:

Atreus procures himself a table and chair, locks the door behind him sets his hat and cane on one edge of the table, and makes very sure that he is quite alone. He then selects the black cigarette case and fixes himself an obscura-laced lho-stick and settles down to work. This will be quite a three-smoke problem, he thinks to himself, breathing deeply of the smoke until his mind begins to spin faster and faster until everything is sharp and clear.

"And so we begin." Beginning with the two indicated boxes on the table, he begins to pour through the dusty parchments as the sound of violins begins to play in his head. Barely moving except for the motion of his auto-quill above the data-slate, the Adept is lost in a world of endless data. When he finishes with one document, he moves onto the next without stopping. When the boxes on the table are done, he moves onto the rest of the floor, and then onto the walls.

Atreus will take as long as it takes, lost in an obsessive haze of relentless cogitation. As stated, his primary objectives are - the early reports, any reports involving violence or the visible use of psychic powers, and any correlations between any of those cases.
Literacy: [roll0] vs. 40 (to sift through the documents)
Scholastic Lore (Legends): [roll1] vs. 40 (to identify known superstitions and the like)
Forbidden Lore (Cults): [roll2] vs. 40 (to try to identify any signs of cult behavior)
Logic: [roll3] vs. 40 (to see any patterns in the data)

Lycan 01
2010-08-20, 11:48 PM
"Where are they being held captive? If you would give me permission, I wish to inspect them personally."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" the Abbott suddenly starts, turning towards Asteroth. "I forgot to answer your question. We don't currently have any Witches in custody here in Gallehad, but there's a chance some of the more outlying villages and hamlets may be holding a few suspected Witches in captivity. We've drilled "Burn the Heretic, Kill the Mutant, Purge the Unclean" into their hearts and minds, so more often than not they take matters into their own hands. But sometimes calmers heads rise above the rest, and they keep the Witch in custody until a Witch Hunter can arrive to give them a fair trial. Though by the time the Witch Hunter arrives, public opinion is so decided on the person's guilt, that its nigh impossible to convince them otherwise even if it were true..." the Abbott explains.

Bowerbird
2010-08-21, 12:13 AM
Cromwell turns to Quint, "Alright, you keep an eye out for trouble." He wanders into the Tavern. He looks around, assessing the impact his presence has made on the folk inside before going up to the bartender, "Afternoon, what do you serve here?" as he says this his eyes search the man's face and the people around him.

Awareness: [roll0] vs 43
Scrutiny: [roll1] vs 43
Keeping an eye out for trouble, and anyone who appears either suspicious, or like they might have information.

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 12:21 AM
Quint

Quint looks at the detective.

Perhaps I shall get into a little trouble and see where it take me.

He nods as the detective enters the inn and heads for a dark ally where he saw some of the shadier figures.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 12:32 AM
Cromwell

The old bartender looks over Cromwell with his one good eye - the other is covered by a weathered eyepatch. He seems to be sizing up Cromwell, trying to get an opinion of him. He then smirks and replies, "Water, Ale, and sum stronger spirits fer those who can stomach 'em. You're not from around here, are ye, stranga?" he leers in a curious tone, the stressed word obviously not refering to just the city of Gallehad. "Whatcha be lookin' fer here in Gallehad, stranga? 'Sides a nice tankard or two..." he flashes a gold-toothed grin. He seems to know Cromwell is here for a reason, and he may be willing to help him in such endevours - for a price.

The rest of the people in the tavern range from peasants to businessmen. Farm hands on break sit around a table, trading bawdy jokes. A pair of well-dressed merchants compare earnings near the bar. A buxom young lass is serving drinks and carrying on a conversation with a trio of old men at another table. And one of the armorded men from earlier stands idly be the door, casually sipping from a flask while resting a hand on the broadsword at his side. Almost everyone in the tavern turns their attention towards Cromwell when he enters. After a few seconds of curious glances and awed stares, almost everyone returns to their business.

A few people still give the occassional look or glance. The armored man eyes the Acolyte suspiciously, as though wary of him. The peasants give the occassional fearful glance - they're obviously intimidated and fearful of this stranger, who may be one of the "men from the sky" that they've heard of but never seen for themselves. The merchants whispers amongst themselves, grinning at this new gossip. The old men watch the Acolyte in awe, while the barmaid catches Cromwell's eye as he scans the room. She flashes a playful smile, and gives him a small wink. Perhaps she's got more on her mind than just serving drinks to the detective...

Quint

Quint heads towards the alleyway where he saw one of the shadowed strangers. Sure enough, a cloaked figure is leaning against a wall in a dim alley, and as the gunslinger approaches he steps away from his resting spot and watches the gunslinger approach. However, he does not run for some reason...

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 12:45 AM
Quint

Quint walks directly towards the man without flinching. His black orbs searching the darkness for any hidden figures or motives. The Contacts abolishing the dark without effort. Quint sizes the man up as he approaches.

You do not seem to be a savory sort. What buisness do you have hiding in alleys in the middle of the day.

looking into the darkness to see what it hides
[roll0] vs 36

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 12:54 AM
Quint

The shadows hide nothing, except for the figure before you. He is clad from head to foot in black, mostly concealed by a heavy hooded cloak. This is a man who knows how to blend in the shadows - he let you find him.

"My business is your business," he croons in a warm manner. "I see by the way you carry yourself and the eyes you possess that you are not of the savory sort, either. I am a man who can get things done. Need an item? Information? Perhaps... a job? Please, let me know what it is you need, friend..." The way he says the last word would have sent a shiver down a lesser man's spine.

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 01:04 AM
Quint

quint gives the man a level look before responding.

I am not your friend. Who do you work for?

His voice monotone and unfriendly. A threat at the very edge of his meaning.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 01:16 AM
Quint

The cloaked figure tenses slightly, but shows no open signs of hostility. "Who do I work for? Myself, that's who. I do what I need to do to make my own living - I owe no one anything," he replies calmly. "Now, was there some business you needed to do? Or shall I take my leave?" he asks, taking a step back.

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 01:22 AM
"Oh, I'm sorry!" the Abbott suddenly starts, turning towards Asteroth. "I forgot to answer your question. We don't currently have any Witches in custody here in Gallehad, but there's a chance some of the more outlying villages and hamlets may be holding a few suspected Witches in captivity. We've drilled "Burn the Heretic, Kill the Mutant, Purge the Unclean" into their hearts and minds, so more often than not they take matters into their own hands. But sometimes calmers heads rise above the rest, and they keep the Witch in custody until a Witch Hunter can arrive to give them a fair trial. Though by the time the Witch Hunter arrives, public opinion is so decided on the person's guilt, that its nigh impossible to convince them otherwise even if it were true..." the Abbott explains.

"Nevertheless, I would like to try. Where's the nearest settlement with a witch in custody?"

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 01:25 AM
Quint

Quint watches the man tense and change the subject.

Jumpy.

Quint looks the man up and down

Not something you should be in your line of work. I would like to know of any new unusual crime has been cropping up as of late.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 01:34 AM
Asteroth
The Abbott shakes his head. "I don't know, I'm afraid. It can take days or weeks to hear from even the closer settlements. The last I heard, the town of Doyle, which is a good five days to the West, burned a Witch two weeks ago. From what we heard, a young farmer was accused of Warpcraft after he was witnessed buying several strange items the day before his neighbor died without warning or cause. He simply dropped dead... and guess who bought the dead man's land?" the Abbott's face grows grim. "The town took care of him themselves, in that case. Burnt at the stake, even though no evidence of Warpcraft was discovered at his residence. But, neither were the items he purchased... So, your best bet to actually find a Witch in custody would likely be to go out and explore the countryside, and hope you stumble across a town at the right time. It could take weeks, of course. But, you haven't got many other options..." he shrugs.

Quint

The man lets out a small chuckle. "Jumpy is what keeps you alive on Excalibur. It pays to be on your toes, and be wary of anything or anyone. People jump at shadows, especially with all this Witch-talk in the air. Speaking of which..." he croons. "There has not been an increase in crimes, but rather a decrease. People are on their best behavior, it seems. Nobody wants to be suspected of anything, let alone caught in the act, lest people get to talking... Now, there's also been an increase in the number of people wanting my wares, of course. I've been making a killing selling charms and weapons - people want to be protected, though the method differs with individual preference. I've got a few nice Aquila necklaces, if you're interested. Or perhaps a nice blackpowder pistol?"

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 01:47 AM
"Thats is unfournete." Asteroth comments, as he takes a moment to recall the granduer of the catheral, sparking a idea as he strokes his chin.

"I would presume where the church bells toll is the highest point in the town, correct?"

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 01:53 AM
"Naturally," Abbott Maxwell nods. "You could likely see for miles, on a clear day..."

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 01:57 AM
"May I have accesses?"

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 01:59 AM
Quint

If Quint had been born with a sense of humor he might have laughed at the offer for a black powder pistol but as it was he didn't even crack a smile.

But even when fear is about there is crime. And those who are organized will take advantage of this fear. So you, being a man in the know as you say you are, should know just who would take advantage of these times.

At this point quint has fully entered the Alley as to not draw attention to the conversation.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 02:08 AM
Asteroth

The Abbott shrugs. "I don't see why not. Simply head downstairs and ask one of the nuns or monks to escort you up there. Tell them you have my permission to be up there..."

Quint

The cloaked skulker leans against a wall casually. "As far as literally crimes go, there have been a few thefts, some assaults, and the occassional highwayman. But there really has been a noticeable drop in most crimes like murder, rape, and other serious things. Like I said, no one wants to draw attention to themselves. But, for metaphorical crimes... I'd look at the church," the criminal gestures towards the center of town. "They've got a system set up. What's the word... Indulgences? You simply repent your crimes, and pay a small fee, and... all is forgiven..." he says in a mocking manner. "Its mostly pocket change they ask for, and the serious stuff like murder isn't "for sale" unless you talk directly to a priest or something. But even at such small prices and for such mundane things, they're raking in the profits. And wouldn't you know it..." he leers, "But the more Witch-talk is about, the more Indulgences people seem to be interested in... Perhaps its not just their consciences the peasants are worried about, eh?"

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 02:11 AM
Quint

Quint doesn't look over his shoulder at the church. He didn't trust this man; though he knew he could kill him it was that kind of thought process which gets a man killed.

You know of anyone who has been

he pauses to think of the best word.

Overly indulgent as of late. Perhaps someone lining the vaults of the church a little too readily?

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 02:19 AM
"Thank you Abbot." Asteroth bows, as takes a leave, heading downstairs to the church floor, accosting the nearest clergyman.

"Could you please escort up to the church bells, I have permission from the Abbott."

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 02:24 AM
Quint

The shadow shrugs. "Its a fine balance. Don't pay enough, you seem not to care for your soul. Pay too much, and you look like somebody who needs a loooot of forgiveness, and people are gonna start to wonder why. Naturally, the merchants and traders pay more than the peasants, but they've got the money to do so, y'know?" he gestures idly. "People just want other people to see them doing it. Besides, most people don't put their names on their confessions. They just scribble down what they did, pay the toll, and hope the Emperor gives 'em a clean slate like the church promises. Heh... Faith don't work that way, bub..."

Asteroth

"Right this way, sir..." a petite young girl in Ecclesiarchial robes nods to the Psyker. She then leads him to the back of the church. As they pass by a door, she pauses and sniffs the air. She then shrugs, and continues on towards another door. She opens it, revealing a spiral staircase. "Here you go. Watch your step, sir..." she smiles, then leaves Asteroth to his climb.

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 02:28 AM
Quint

Quint's eyes narrow. It seemed the would be shadow was avoiding a direct answer.

And where are this confessions dropped off?

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 02:31 AM
Quint

"Right by the front door, where the guards can see you. It serves two purposes. Everyone can see you paying off your sins to save your soul... and the guards can blast any stupid git who tries to sneak a few coins for himself. Heh heh..." he chuckles in a dark manner. Something tells you that last comment may have been more than a hypothetical joke...

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 02:39 AM
Asteroth walks to up the spiral stairs, as he reaches the church bells. He takes in the breathtaking view of the town and countryside gauging for anything unusual.

Awareness +10

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 02:49 AM
Quint

Quint files away the information in the back of his head.

Are there any formal criminal organizations in the city? Any gangs, mobs, mafia, or cults?

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 03:19 AM
Asteroth

Asteroth walks around the balcony surrounding the bell housing, and leans over the railing. He can see the surrounding countryside very well from up here. The land is mostly hilly and woodsy, with rivers and dirt roads crisscrossing the forests. A few farms and small clusters of buildings can be spotted, spread out every few miles. And in the distance on all sides, a few small hamlets or villages can be seen. Asteroth now has a pretty good idea to the lay of the land, at least.

And then he hears a scream.

Looking down, the Psykers sees several people milling about in the town square. A few are pointing up at him, and some of them are screaming. Wait. They aren't pointing at Asteroth in the belltower. No... its something else!

Quint

As the gunslinger talks to the shadow, several screams suddenly ring out behind him. A quick glance over his shoulder, never letting the shadow out of his sight, shows him several people pointing up at the church's belltower. Some of them are screaming about something, but Quint can't see what it is they're pointing at. Did someone just say something about... a girl?

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 03:28 AM
Quint

Quint turns to the man looks at him levelly.

Do tell however it might concern that I am looking for contacts with the underbelly of this city.

He turns and leaves the alley never letting the shadow out of his sight before he is well within the crowd. That should get a few feeders out to the lower end of this city and worse case scenario the shadow proved useless and he would be needing a little lead reward.

He turns his attention to the tower and the gathering crowd looking around and listening to the cries of the crowd to determine their focus.

[roll0] vs 36

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 03:30 AM
Quint

The man shrugs. "There isn't much organization, really. Its every man for himself!" he calls after Quint as he leaves the alley.

The Gunslinger quickly mixes himself in with the crowd. He turns his eyes towards the tower, but the noon-day sun is casting too much of a glare for him to see at this angle. Whatever is going on up there, it has a lot of peoples' attention...

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 03:34 AM
Asteroth takes a momentary deep breath as he summons his pistol out of thin air manfistaitng in his right hand behind back. Turning to face where the people are screaming at with his gun drawn.

Call Item
[spoiler] [roll0]

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 03:37 AM
Quint

Quint blinks before breaking into a run. It was after all his job to find our what was weird and going on on this damn mudball and their was not reason to miss something that caused such commotion. All the while he moves through the crowd listening to the comments and glancing up to see what is causing the ruckus.

[roll0] vs 36

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 03:43 AM
As Quint tries to make his way through the crowd, he is suddenly cut off by a morbidly obese mime. The large man, clad in black and white attire, is flailing his arms and making expressions of horror and dismay. But, to his credit, he never makes a sound...

Asteroth

The Psyker whirls about, Warp energy crackling around his fist as a large handgun materializes in his grip. He brings his weapon to bear... and realizes he's aiming at a girl. The same girl from earlier, in fact! The young nun has climbed up onto the railing of the belltower's balcony! She calmly looks back at the Psyker, her eyes glazed and her expression relaxed, almost as though she were high on some sort of drug! She doesn't even seem to notice that he's holding a weapon. With a giggle, she asked "Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fly?" And then she takes a step...

AGILITY TEST TO GRAB HER!! :smalleek:

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 03:54 AM
Quint

Quint attempts to sidestep the Mime and continue through the crowd towards the church.

[roll0]

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 04:10 AM
Asteroth runs to try to catch the girl before her inteivble plummet.

Agi [roll0]

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 04:12 AM
Quint

Quint sidesteps just as the mime's routine takes a turn for the truly dramatic and the large oaf steps clean on Quints boots nearly tripping him up. As Quint spins to recover he stops himself just before he draws his weapon to end the damnable Mime's life as it would cause to much of a ruckus. He regains his balance and continues past the mime.

[roll0]

Quint begins forward only to be stopped by a large man who smelled strongly of horse manure and something worse. Taking the mans smell full on when he impacted cleanly with the mans back. He stumbled back, pausing for a moment. This was why he hated crowds and it took all his effort to restrain from his normal solution for such a situation. His wits about him he stops attempting to view the situation above and focuses simply on reaching the end of the crowd and the base of the church.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 04:17 AM
The mime is oblivious.

Asteroth lunges wildly for the nun, just as she steps off the railing. Before he body can plummet away, the Psyker wraps his arms around the girl, and hauls her back onto the balcony where the both collapse to the floor. Quint manages to catch sight of this, and so does the rest of the crowd. A roar of triumph breaks out amongst the crowd as they cheer for the man who just saved the girl. That was a close call, indeed...

Bowerbird
2010-08-21, 09:53 AM
Cromwell's eyes linger on the armoured man, and the serving girl, before returning to the bartender, "Well, you're right, I'm not from around here. I was wondering what sort of news you could tell me about all these witch-hunts as of late. Word is, 'out of town' that there's been a bit of a rise, know anything? I'll take some ale too by the way," He says not too loudly, placing a few thrones on the bar where the barman can see that there's a little more than the cost of water.

Sorry it took me this long, had to go to m regulary IRL D&D game. I think what I want to go for here is either a Charm roll (which will have to be as a basic skill), and/or an Inquiry check.
Charm: [roll0] vs 12
Inquiry: [roll1] vs 47 (+Talented, was that +10? If so 57)

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 11:53 AM
Cromwell

"Ho yes, the Witch Hunts..." the bartender croons, his expression grim as he places the gold in the till and pockets the extra. "They've been on the rise for the last few months. People started catchin' more Witches than usually, and the Church decided to stamp 'em out before things got outta hand. They started preachin' more 'n more against the evils of Warpcraft, and tryin' to instil stronger devotion 'mongst the faithful. "Hate the heretic, and take pride in yer Faith!" sorta stuff, y'know? Well, tha's all fine an' dandy. Faith in the Empra is sumthin' we all need, eh? But, it did more than just sooth peoples fears. It stirred up their paranoia and hatred for the Witch, causin' even more fingers ta start pointin' 'round."

He glances around, to make sure no one is listening too closely over the chatter and clatter of the tavern. "Well, the Church then started dispatchin' Witch Hunters to wander the land an' oversee some of the trials. Most of 'em are level headed, but a few of 'em are just as zealous and paranoid as the peasant mobs, which only makes things worse in a few places. Like... oh... wha's his name? Oh right - Vandred. He's a mean ol' sport, one filled with the Righteous Fury of the Empra himself, ya'd think. They say every town he visits, he leaves a Witch burnin' in his wake, even if there wasn't one on trial when he got there. Gossip is now that in the town of Quixote, he burned a child, just fer bein' a suspected Jinx..." the old man shakes his head.

"Of course, there's possitives. Church attendance is, naturally, increased amongst the faithful, and the faithful themselves has increased as well. Crime is down. People are stayin' out of trouble, and trying to be nice and get along amongst themselves. Its nice, even if it is just a product of paranoia. And then of course, my business is actually up by just a bit. Dunno why, ta be honest. Maybe its more people wantin' to drown their sorrows an' take their minds off things. Maybe its the Church preachin' for people to enjoy the nicer things in life more these days. "Eat, drink, an' be merry, for the Empra has blessed ye with faith an' life..." Or maybe its just because, with crimes an' stuff down and people stayin' outta trouble, they ain't got much else better ta do..."

Bowerbird
2010-08-21, 12:18 PM
Cromwell
Cromwell's forehead furrows, "Hmm.. Definitely food for thought." Cromwell says, sipping his water, "So what d'you think? There much call to be afraid, or is it just people being more jumpy than usual?" his posture relaxes, but his eyes quickly check the room to see if anyone's taken an interest in his line of conversation.

Awareness [roll0] vs 43 Scanning room
Scrutiny [roll1] vs 43 Checking for suspicious activity
Inquiry [roll2] vs 57 probing for further info

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 12:47 PM
Cromwell

Cromwell tries to look around the room, but the only thing that he seems to notice is the barmaid. Its hard for him to concentrate when she keeps giving him mischevious looks. Turning his attention back towards the old man, he sees that the bartender has an expert poker face. "Well..." the old man scratches his chin. "I think its the same its always been. There are Witches an' heretics about. We've just been catchin' more of the ones tha' usually get away. This luck has in turn convinced folks that there's a conspiracy o' Witches afoot or somethin' about, and its got everyone jumpin' at shadows. O' course, a good bit o' paranoia is healthy fer the mind, 'specially here on Excalibur..."

Atreus

Atreus quickly makes his way through the parchment and papers in his drug-fueled haze. While nowhere near complete in his task, he's already got a decent idea of what information there is to be had. The majority of the cases are random, with no pattern or logical connection. There's no hint of cult activity, though there is a healthy dose of superstition. Some of the files refer to people accused of being Jinxes, which as the name suggest may mean people who are ill-fortuned and seen as Warptouched, or just poor souls with bad luck. He's able to find a few specific case files, but he hasn't even begun to scratch the surface with less than half an hour of work...

Vikingkingq
2010-08-21, 02:13 PM
"Not a lunar or solar pattern...Jinxes?....could be a diurnal pattern? No, that doesn't fit...What? What?!"

Atreus stomps over to the door and throws it open dramatically. He snarls: "SILENCE! THIS IS A LIBRARY!"

He then turns back to his work, muttering about the inconsiderate nature of humanity and lighting up a regular lho-stick. His left hand begins to tap irritably on the table.

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 06:03 PM
"What the in the warp where you thinking!?" Asteroth exclaims as he probes her for any lingering warp influences.

Pyscicnece 51
[roll0]

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 06:06 PM
Quint

Quint annoyed by the crowd but seeing the commotion is over slows to a walk as he goes to the church to look into a few leads.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 09:04 PM
Atreus keeps studying.

Astroth questions the girl, and she simply rolls onto her back and looks up at him with hazy eyes. "I wanted to flyyyy..." she says dreamily. "But then you caught me... Like a fish... Heh heh heh..." she giggles.

Quint heads towards the front of the church.

(You see the same things Asteroth and Atreus saw when ya'll first split up - go back and read their first spoiler.)

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 09:17 PM
"What made you think you could fly?" Asteroth asks calmly.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 09:20 PM
The young nun's head lolls from side to side. "I dunno..." she shrugs. "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

I'm not sure what you'd have to test to see what's wrong with her. Common Lore (Imperium) with some penalties, though Common Lore (Underworld) or Medicae would work as well. Or anything else you can think of...

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 09:28 PM
"What was the last thing you remember?" He asks, as he tries to detect any lingering warp influence in her manner of speech.

Forbidden Lore: Warp [roll0]

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 09:30 PM
Quint

Quint walks up to the gate and immediately walks over to the boxes near the door. He begins to inspect them closely attempting to determine if they have any other surveillance devices or if they are simply boxes for ridiculous superstitions.

[roll0] vs 18 looking for any hidden cameras or mics

Yes he is that paranoid

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 09:35 PM
"The last thing I remember is you asking me what the last thing I remember is, silly... hee hee..." she giggles.

The boxes are not trapped... as far as Quint can tell. Once box is a small crate full of paper and shaped pieces of charcoal to write with. The other larger box is a locked chest with a hole in the top of it. On the wall in front of the boxes is a list of crimes and sins, and what the suggested penances for them would be. Some sins have options for prayer, fasting, or other forms of penance, as well as an indulgence fee. Needless to say, the indulgence fee seems to be the easier option, though no one ever said the path of the righteous wasn't difficult.

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 09:41 PM
Quint

Quint checks if the lock is sturdy. Than he looks around and points to one of the guards and motions for him to come closer.

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 09:43 PM
The psyker frowns, as he taps his mirco-bead.

"Atreus, I just had a girl her nearly walk off the roof of the Cathedral, don't think its warp related. She seems very dazed, requesting assistance in daingoising whats wrong with her." Asteroth turns to the young girl and says one word firmly.

"Stay"

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 09:48 PM
"Stay what?" the nun asks, tilting her head to the side. "Stay here? Stay still? Stay away? Stay beautiful?"

The moment Quint jostles the lock, the two guards by the front gate shoulder their Laslocks. "Hey!" one of them barks. "That's Church property! What do you think you're doing?"

Vikingkingq
2010-08-21, 09:52 PM
The psyker frowns, as he taps his mirco-bead.

"Atreus, I just had a girl her nearly walk off the roof of the Cathedral, don't think its warp related. She seems very dazed, requesting assistance in daingoising whats wrong with her." Asteroth turns to the young girl and says one word firmly.

"Stay"

Atreus looks at the smouldering stub of his lho-stick and then keys his micro-bead.

"Hmmm...I need evidence. Does the girl seemed flushed or pale? Are the pupils dilated or constricted - are they the same or different? Can you check motor responses? And can you elaborate on "dazed" - is the girl euphoric or narcoleptic? Ecstatic or depressed?"

Common Lore Imperium - [roll0] vs. 50 (this is why Assist is good)

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 09:53 PM
Quint

Quint looks at the men without caring about their shoddy weapons.

My job. Now who looks through these papers.

His voice is cold and and hard.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 09:56 PM
"That's none of your business, stranger..." one of the guards growls. "They're off limits to anyone who doesn't have the Abbott's say, and we're fairly certain you ain't got it. Now step away from the boxes, unless you have something to repent..."

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 10:02 PM
Asteroth looks at the girl, looking for any signs the adapt told him threw the mircobead

Awareness 32 [roll0]

crazedloon
2010-08-21, 10:06 PM
Quint

Quint turns to the men looking each up and down. These were two fools but they were fools doing their job. He turns and begins to walk away from the church they weren't worth his time, yet. He than mumbles into his micro bead.

Check the records of the church for the penance papers. Look for any irregularities.

He begins to walk to the Tavern where he left the detective.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 10:07 PM
The girl's pupils are huge, she seems to be staring at things besides whats actually around her, and euphoric may be an understatement. The poor nun is "trippin" by most standards.

The men lower their guns, but they eye Quint warily as he walks away...

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 10:15 PM
"Large pupils, seems to be seeing things that aren't there...and highly euphoric..." Asteroth murmurs to Atreus.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-21, 10:17 PM
"Large pupils, seems to be seeing things that aren't there...and highly euphoric..." Asteroth murmurs to Atreus.

"-crzkz-sounds like obscura, or some other opiate-based hallucinogen. Interesting. These records seem to be something of a dead end. Bring the girl down to the ground floor if you will, I'll meet you."

Talkkno
2010-08-21, 10:26 PM
"Follow me." Asteroth says firmly to the girl, as he makes his way to the ground floor.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-21, 10:32 PM
His stick clacking against the stone, Domus stalks out of the library with renewed energy and purpose. He strides to the middle of the transcept where he and Asteroth stood earlier and waits impatiently, tapping his stick against the flagstones.

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 10:52 PM
Several things happen at once. Asteroth steps out of the stairwell and into the hallway, followed by the aloof nun. Atreas strides out of the library, a slight scent of smoke around him. And a handful of monks, nuns, and armored guards barge in from either lengths of the hallway, all curious as to what on Terra is going on.

"What's happening?"

"Who jumped off the tower?

"What smells like smoke?"

"Who are you people?"

The scene is one of confusion, to say the least...

Bowerbird
2010-08-21, 11:05 PM
"True that, I suppose it is better to be over-careful than lax." Cromwell smiles at the barmaid, before settling into a seat and activating his microbead, "Anything to report? Nothing much here." he says, sipping his water and watching the room.

The usual rolls:

Lycan 01
2010-08-21, 11:19 PM
The Detective takes notice of several things, his senses apparently heightened by the few sips of ale he had. He turns his attention to the barmaid, and notices that she's actually quite attractive, with blue eyes and long red hair. When he smiles at the young lass as she refills the merchant traders' drinks, she smirks back at him in an obviously mischevious manner. She then gives him a wink, and subtly jerks her head to the side in some sort of "come talk to me when you get a chance" gesture. It doesn't take an expert Arbitrator trained in scrutiny and interogation to understand what she's hinting at.

He then sends his Vox message. About that same time, he hears several screams outside. Somehow, he's at the right angle at the bar to see out a window and actually witness the girl's jump and the Psyker's amazing catch. He also sees Quint's antics with the Indulgences box and the guards' warnings through the window. A short moment later, he sees Quint heading towards the tavern through the crowd...

Vikingkingq
2010-08-21, 11:30 PM
Several things happen at once. Asteroth steps out of the stairwell and into the hallway, followed by the aloof nun. Atreas strides out of the library, a slight scent of smoke around him. And a handful of monks, nuns, and armored guards barge in from either lengths of the hallway, all curious as to what on Terra is going on.

"What's happening?"

"Who jumped off the tower?

"What smells like smoke?"

"Who are you people?"

The scene is one of confusion, to say the least...

Thinking quickly, Atreus crosses over to the nun, pretends to examine her. "Inquisition! Stand back!" he shouts, gesturing dramatically. "This poor child has been struck with the madness of the Yellow Lotus flower! If you get too close, you might be struck by the irresistible urge to step off of large buildings."

"But now me and my trusty companion must pursue the evildoer to Gawain! Come, Asteroth, the chase is afoot!" Atreus quickly leaves the Church (making a subtle "this way, right now" nod to the psyker and gunslinger as he passes).

Let's try this:
Fellowship: [roll0] vs. 49

Do we still have access to the shuttle? I don't recall it leaving

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 12:44 AM
Asteroth merely sighs as he takes her away following him whispering to him.
"I hope you know what you are doing."

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 12:58 AM
For a heartbeat, the hallway is silent. At the second beat, pandemonium erupts.

"YELLOW LOTUS FLOWER MADNESS?!"

"OH EMPEROR, NOOOOOO!!!"

"WHAT IS IT?! WHAT IS IT?!?

"I DON'T KNOW JUST GET BACK!! BACK EVERYONE!!"

"LET THEM THROUGH!!"

"DON'T TOUCH THEM!!"

"HURRY!! HURRY, BRAVE INQUISITORS!!"

"EMPEROR, WHYYYYYYY?!!?"

"GET THE DOORS!! GET THE DOOOORS!!!!"

In the Sanctuary of the church, a few peasants and monks are milling about minding their own business. Without warning, the Sanctuary's back doors are thrown open, and a crowd of people erupt out. Atreus and Asteroth are at the center of the crowd, though the people are keeping their distance. Atreus strides forward, leaning proudly on his walking cane as the people stare at him in awe. Asteroth follows directly behind him, gently but swifty dragging the bleary-eyed nun along whom the people weep and lament for. Two armored guards rush ahead of them, making sure no one obstructs their mission. A peasants standing in their way opens his mouth to ask what's going on. He is promptly smashed across the face by the stock of a crossbow, the guard roaring at him to get out of the way, lest Chaos triumph! The Acolytes and the "victim" make their way through the Cathedral, and the guards throw open the front doors for them before rushing out and screaming for people to clear a path.

"MAKE WAY!! MAKE WAY!!"

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 01:03 AM
Quint

Quint looks over his shoulder as the crowd exits the Cathedral. When he sees who is at the center of the commotion he sighs in annoyance. Those two were almost more trouble than they were worth. He turns and attempt to blend in and not be noticed as he moves to the tavern hoping his other companion was keeping a lower profile.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-22, 01:17 AM
While looking appropriately dramatic, Atreus whispers into his microbead: "-crzsk-Apparently, the locals are as suggestible as sheep. We're off to chase down some leads on the more probable psyker events to see if we can't separate the wheat from the chaff here. Looks like Gawain, Cale, and Mordrin are the most promising cases. You can come or continue investigating here, but I think the hunt will be more fruitful out in the villages."

"Good people of Gallehad! We must now pursue the evildoer in Gawain and beyond, with the help of this brave young novice. But it is many miles, and time is of the essence! Can someone lend us a cart or carriage of some kind to speed us in the God Emperor's holy work?"

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 01:19 AM
Quint

Hearing the news in his microbead a frown crosses his face.

Did you look into the information I asked you?

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 01:22 AM
"What are we exacty doing with her? Should't we talk with the Abbot?" He whispers.

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 01:26 AM
"Did we win a contest or something?" the nun mutters absent-mindedly while gazing at the hysterical throng of church-goers.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-22, 01:35 AM
"What are we exacty doing with her? Should't we talk with the Abbot?" He whispers.

"You were the one who decided to take her with us!" Atreus whispers back.

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 01:47 AM
"You told me to bring her down here...I think we should go talk to Abboot to clear up this mess."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-22, 02:06 AM
"You told me to bring her down here...I think we should go talk to Abboot to clear up this mess."

Atreus whispers back. ""We have three solid leads, and I think it would be less than helpful for us to clear up what just happened, then say, wait an hour or so until the drugs wear off, at which point we can proclaim her cured by the grace of the God Emperor."

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 02:36 AM
"Then I will on the roof of the church in the meantime." Asteroth replies irraitely, as goes back toward the staircase leading up the church bells.

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 02:42 AM
A few farm owners who own carriages begin to murmer amongst themselves. "We may be willing to see you a horse and carriage, though we cannot go with you on this dangerous journey. Forgive us for our weakness, sir..." the tell Atreus, his reputation as a supposed Inquisitor already circulating amongst the crowds.

As Asteroth turns and begins to walk back towards the Cathedral, rather than charging off to defeat the forces of Chaos as was thought his attention, the crowd begins to murmer. "What is it you need, sir?" one of the guards asks, walking towards the door. "We will gladly fetch it for you! We know that your time is of the essence!"

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 02:46 AM
"Please leave me alone, I need some time to mediate." He brushes off guard, as he continues to walk.

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 02:46 AM
Cromwell
"Kzt-Wait are you guys leaving already? I still have a few leads to follow up here." he says, winking at the barmaid, "What was it you wanted done, Quint?"

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 02:48 AM
Quint

I shall inform you in a moment I am nearly at your position.

His voice is cool and annoyed.

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 02:50 AM
"But what of the girl, sir?" the guard asks, slightly confused as Asteroth walks past him. A few more murmers run through the crowd.

Meanwhile, in the tavern, the barmaid reacts to Cromwell's wink with what some would describe as a predatory grin. A few moments later, Quint reaches the door to the tavern...

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 02:54 AM
Asteroth keeps walking.

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 02:57 AM
Quint

Quint steps through the door. He brushes a lock of hair back into his sloppy mowhawk and searches the room with is eyes. Spotting the Detective and following his gaze Quint nearly curses. Just his luck to get a bunch of fools incapable of staying on task. He stalks up to the table his boots making a soft taping on the floor and his coat jingling slightly. His eyes dart from side to side, the only indication being the blood red crescents which form at the corner of his eyes. Reaching the table Quint pulls out a chair and sits.

Well the others have really screwed up. They have attracted the attention of the whole city for Emperor knows what reason. I was hoping they could pick up the penance papers from the penance box but it seems they have some other agenda.

Quint folds his arms and begins to rock in the chair his head slightly back so he can see more of the room as his eyes continue to glide around.

[roll0] vs 36

Vikingkingq
2010-08-22, 03:18 AM
A few farm owners who own carriages begin to murmer amongst themselves. "We may be willing to see you a horse and carriage, though we cannot go with you on this dangerous journey. Forgive us for our weakness, sir..." the tell Atreus, his reputation as a supposed Inquisitor already circulating amongst the crowds.

As Asteroth turns and begins to walk back towards the Cathedral, rather than charging off to defeat the forces of Chaos as was thought his attention, the crowd begins to murmer. "What is it you need, sir?" one of the guards asks, walking towards the door. "We will gladly fetch it for you! We know that your time is of the essence!"

"Fear not, good citizens! I'll drive your carriage - fetch one directly, would you? - to the Eye of Terror and back, safe and sound, if need be! Asteroth, my loyal companion, have you forgotten that your expert assistance is needed in detecting the work of the Witch? We haven't a moment to lose!"

Asteroth:

Seriously, dude. Psyinscience is required to suss out what's going on here - I can't tell a fake psyker from a real one the way that you can.

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 03:25 AM
Cromwell sits up, "Damn, I thought we were supposed to keep this quiet. I can drop by there a bit later and see if I can get the chance to look them over." he says in a harsh whisper.

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 03:30 AM
Quint

Quite is apparently a foreign concept for them. Have you found anything of interest yet?

When he says that he gives the barmaid a glance from the corner of his eye.

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 03:35 AM
Cromwell coughs, having noticed Quints pointed look, "Well I did find the name of one particularly zealous Witch-Hunter, Vandred apparently. There were a couple of other angles I was hoping to try before I moved on."

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 03:41 AM
Quint

Angles? I am sure.

Quint closes his eye attempting to calm himself.

What exactly does this witch hunter know. Or at least what do the people think he knows?

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 03:50 AM
Cromwell coughs again, "Yes well, they say that every town the man visits he leaves a burned witch behind in his wake. Either he's very good, or very lax on his definition of witch, the last one was apparently a child suspected of being a Jinx."

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 04:00 AM
Quint

A jinx? What do they mean by that?

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 04:09 AM
Cromwell
"Actually, now that you mention it, I'm not wholly certain. From the tone I assume it's something relatively minor, however, like a Wyrd perhaps?"

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 04:10 AM
Quint

Quint grunts.

This man in town now?

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 04:16 AM
Cromwell
"Not sure, I believe he was last seen in Quixote."

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 04:21 AM
Quint

Quint lets the chair slam to the floor and stand up in a swift motion.

I shall look into Vandred and leave you to your angles. If you can I would suggest you look into the church penance papers. Keep in touch

he taps his ear as he says the last bit. He leaves the Tavern and its hussies behind. Looking into the street and choosing a direction begins to walk.

I shall attempt to find the worst part of town

while I walk I shall keep an eye out
[roll0] vs 36

Bowerbird
2010-08-22, 05:25 AM
Cromwell
"Will do, good luck. I'll swing by the church a little later." he says, watching Quint leave. He waits a few minutes, quietly sipping his ale, his eyes darting around the room to see if anyone had taken an unusual interest in their conversation, and also to see just where that barmaid had got to... After all, there's no urgent hurry, and she might actually know something of note.

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 07:22 PM
Asteroth returns to the church, gets a few awed, suspicious, and confused looks, and then returns to the belltower. The view has not changed.

A man offers to lend Atreus his mule and cart for 20 gold pieces, as long as it comes back in one piece.

Quint keeps his eyes peeled for the worst parts of town, but he's unable to find his bearings. Instead, he somehow winds up in front of an orphanage.

Cromwell looks around, and catches glimpses of the guard, peasants, and pretty much everyone subtly trying to listen in. Judging from the curious and dissappointed looks on their faces, they seem to have just been morbidly curious about what they were discussing, and they didn't hear much of anything. The barmaid is, of course, still eyeing him every now and then, although she tried to act busy while Quint was around.

Talkkno
2010-08-22, 08:18 PM
Asteroth sits in a lotus position as he mediates on the holy ground murmuring a prayer, as he opens his mind to the warp, calling upon it to grant a measure of luck in this endeavor...

"Oh high and holy Emperor, may the light of the Golden Throne shine brightly...."

Invocation 51 [roll0]

Lucky [roll1]

Pyssicnce +10: [roll2]

Lucky reroll [roll3]

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 08:36 PM
Quint

Quint looks up at the orphanage. An idea strikes him and he walks in looking for someone in charge.

Lycan 01
2010-08-22, 09:17 PM
Quint enters the old orphanage and finds himself in a small lobby. There's a frail old man in monk's robes teaching some small children religeous stories, while a middle-aged woman sits behind a desk looking over paperwork. Quint has also picked up what appears to be a fan - a small child clad in rags, with wide eyes and a curious stare, silently trotting along behind him for no reason.

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 09:25 PM
Quint

Quint looks down at the child and grunt. He walks up to the middle aged woman and clears his throat.

I would like to talk to you about these children.

Bowerbird
2010-08-23, 05:23 AM
Cromwell signals to order a drink off the barmaid, just standard ale, best to keep his wits about him.

"Hey, were your parents retarded? 'cause you sure are special."

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 07:12 PM
Asteroth cannot sense any Warp influence in the belltower.

The lady behind the desk looks up at the gunslinger, and is obviously taken aback by his appearance. "Er... what about them, sir?" she asks.

The barmaid makes her way over to the bar for some drinks, then swaggers over to Cromwell's table. "Good afternoon. Here is your drink, sirrrrr..." she purrs. "Anything else I can do for you?"

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 08:20 PM
Quint

Quint looks around at the children almost thinking of a manner to put it lightly but its not in his nature.

Any of these children orphans due to witches? Or any of these children related to the incident with Vandred and the jynx burning?

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 08:33 PM
The poor woman is taken aback by Quint's blunt manners and his questions. "No sir, we have not recieved any children as a result of the recent Witch Trials. The children here are simply the orphans of parents who died from accidents or disease, or who's parents could not take care of them. And as for Witch Hunter Vandred... which Jinx are you referring to?" she asks, arching an eyebrow.

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 08:37 PM
Quint

Any of the jynxs.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 08:42 PM
"He's burned several..." she replies, looking through the files. "I don't think we've recieved any children as a result of him, though, as zealous as he may be..."

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 08:49 PM
Quint

How many of these children have come under your ward in since the true trouble with the witches started.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 08:52 PM
"Only one, a baby abandoned on a doorstep. We don't have that many children to begin with, only about 30, and many of them have been hear for years..." she explains. "We have a high mortality rate amongst children, and its not often that an entire family is killed or rendered unable to care for a child. So we don't get that many orphans..."

The wide-eyed child is still standing behind Quint, looking up at him with a blank expression.

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 08:57 PM
Quint

Quint thinks for a moment.

I will require access to that child.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 09:09 PM
"What child? The baby? Why, do you want to adopt it?" she asks, looking slightly concerned.

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 09:14 PM
Quint

No woman. I require access to inspect the child.

Quint's voice is annoyed. As if he would want to adopt such a pointless burden.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 09:15 PM
"Inspect it? Why do you need to inspect it?" she asks, her concern obvious now. "Sir, what is this about?"

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 09:25 PM
Quint

It is better you do as I say and live in obliviousness for there lies your salvation. Or so a wiser man might say. I however say don't you damn mind.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 09:31 PM
The woman shrinks back from Quint, and looks past him to the old man teaching the children. "Eustus, get the guards!" she suddenly exclaims.

Bowerbird
2010-08-23, 11:11 PM
Cromwell looks up at the barmaid, "Well, what time do you get off work? I'd like to ask you some questions." he says with a smile.

Lycan 01
2010-08-23, 11:18 PM
She giggles. "This place is open pretty late, and I'm a busy girl. But if you swing back by here around midnight, then perhaps I could give you what you need..." she casually replies with a subtle wink.

Bowerbird
2010-08-23, 11:47 PM
"Well I'll see you later tonight," he says, leaving her a generous tip and finishing his drink. Once finished he leaves the bar, winking at the barmaid as he does. He makes his way to the church, Might as well see if I can get a look at those Indulgences. "This is Cromwell, what's everyone's status?" he says into the Microbead.

Talkkno
2010-08-24, 12:15 AM
"Atreus, where are you?"

Vikingkingq
2010-08-24, 12:54 AM
"Atreus, where are you?"

"-czcrhk- downstairs, waiting for you to show up so we can get moving! Yes, sir, I'm sure he'll be right down with the 20 Thrones-yes, it's a very nice mule."

Bowerbird
2010-08-24, 01:16 AM
"Czrt-Look before you two go running off into the night, think you could check the Indulgences box over there? Shouldn't be too big a stretch, should it?"

Talkkno
2010-08-24, 01:22 AM
Asteroth rushes downstairs to meet Atreus, handing him the needed thrones.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-24, 01:46 AM
Asteroth rushes downstairs to meet Atreus, handing him the needed thrones.

"Oh, thank the Throne. Ready to go?" Wendyll flicks the reins, and the three of them begin the journey to the village of Gawain.

"The box will still be there when we get back- these leads might vanish entirely. The game's afoot, detective!"

Bowerbird
2010-08-24, 01:55 AM
Cromwell meanders through the town, "What leads? Perhaps I can check into them here."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-24, 02:19 AM
Cromwell meanders through the town, "What leads? Perhaps I can check into them here."

"Witch sightings that actually involve witches! The hunts are happening out in the villages and hamlets, Cromwell - so there we must hunt!"

Talkkno
2010-08-24, 02:21 AM
"What are we doing with the girl?" He whispers.

Vikingkingq
2010-08-24, 02:30 AM
"What are we doing with the girl?" He whispers.

"Good question," Atreus whispers back. "Take her with us until she comes down off the high and past the low, at which point we pronounce her miraculously healed. In the meantime, we see if these probables have left any traces, and whether other psykers can be detected in the vicinity. If these are truly unconnected, then we eliminate the possibility that the witch outbreak is genuine; if there is an underlying pattern, we will only find it by a close analysis of the scene, the witnesses, and your own talents."

Talkkno
2010-08-24, 02:56 AM
"Even if it is simply just hysteria, there needs a way to calm the pouplace, seams are coming apart already....."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-24, 03:53 AM
"Even if it is simply just hysteria, there needs a way to calm the pouplace, seams are coming apart already....."

"Calm perhaps - but distraction is far more likely to work. You saw how the crowd was today; they're ready to believe in any curse or any hero. What we need to is provide a narrative, a story these peasants will understand and believe because they want to believe. And every good story needs a villain and a hero, and the the ultimate - and conclusive - triumph of good over evil.

The trick will be to conduct the real investigation so that it neatly intersects with the story."

Talkkno
2010-08-24, 10:25 AM
"In any case, I believe it to be largely hysteria, if it was as widespread as everyone believed it to be, this place would been long gone to chaos."

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 01:48 PM
Quint

Quint grits his teeth. These people were good but they were a pain.

I would refrain from doing that. It will cause more problems and avail you of little. I simply wish to inspect the child. You can watch me the entire time if you have such little faith in me. However retrieving the guards are unnecessary.

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 01:58 PM
The Arbite and the Psyker begin their trek into the countryside in their rented cart, Atreus at the reigns, Asteroth in the back with the girl. Before long, though, thickness and the density of the forest will cut them off from the other Acolytes' Vox signals. From what Asteroth saw, there are a few small clusters of farms and tiny hamlets they should come across every few hours, but they will not reach the next decent settlement until a short time before nightfall, even with the mule and cart.

In other words, if you have any second thoughts about heading out, now is your last chance. Otherwise, you'll be completely split off from the rest of the party as you head off on this next segment. You'll be passing through a few small hamlets, though they may not prove much use unless you'd like a stopping point to gather information or see if the others catch up. You will not reach the next major settlement until nightfall-ish, and it won't be Gawain - Gawain is several days away. Not trying to disuade you, just letting you know what you're signing up for...

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 02:01 PM
"You're a strange man who just walked in, started asking odd questions, and then threatened me to see a baby. Of course we're not going to trust you..." the woman whimpers, nodding at the older priest to go. The old man quickly rises to his feet, and hobbles for the door.

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 02:05 PM
Quint

This woman and this town was infuriating. Quint hated dealing with good poeple, he couldn't deal with them properly

I have not yet threatened you. If I do you will know it. Until then I only ask that you help me help you.

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 02:09 PM
"We'd at least like to have the guards present, in case you do try any funny business..." she growls back.

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 02:11 PM
Quint

Quint nearly bites his tongue as he stops himself from telling the woman just how useless the guards would be if he decided to do any funny business.

You can retrieve the guards just let me see the child now so that I can be on my way.

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 02:16 PM
A short moment later, the old man returns with two men in steel armor, both craddling glinting longswords. The old man nods at Quint, and the two guards begin to walk towards him. "We understand you're causing trouble for these fine folks, sir?" one of the guards asks.

"Its alright, sir," the woman behind the desk remarks. "He wishes to see the children, but we felt it would be more appropriate to have the town watch present, due to his... demeanor..." she frowns. "Now sir, since you seem so intent on seeing the baby, follow me..." she sighs, rising to her feet.

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 07:29 PM
Quint

Quint eyes the guards taking note of their weapons and attire before shaking his head and following the woman.

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 11:13 PM
Quint is taken into a small back room, which seems to be a rather lackluster nursery. There are a few toddlers playing with rather crude toys, and a young nurse standing over a crib, trying to quiet the squaling baby it contains. "Here is the child," the woman from the desk gestures at the crib. "Though I'm not sure why you are so intent to see it."

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 11:21 PM
Quint

Quint moves to the crib and looks inside. He begins to examine the child. He removes any swaddling or blankets which might cover the child's body inspecting every part of the child's skin. He than removes and diapers which he might have to to inspect even those parts which are normally hidden. He attempts a little gentleness though the concept is a foreign idea to a man who has lived a life of pain and violence.

So stripping the child and checking every inch of body for any odd markings

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 11:23 PM
To say that everyone gives Quint an odd look would be an understatement. But the child is clean.

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 11:28 PM
Quint

quint flips the child over and places the blanket back on the child. He nods a head at the group before leaving. Once again attempting to see what he can find around the town. When out of the orphanage Quint speaks into the comm.

There is a child in the orphanage which could stand for a closer look Asteroth brought in mysteriously since the hunts have started.

[roll0] vs 36 looking to see what I can see

Lycan 01
2010-08-24, 11:34 PM
Quint finds a rock.

crazedloon
2010-08-24, 11:43 PM
Quint

Quint continues to look around town

really.....

Talkkno
2010-08-25, 03:32 AM
The psyker looks at the horse drawn cart with some trepidation, as he turns to Atreus
"Any idea how to drive this cart?"

Vikingkingq
2010-08-25, 03:54 AM
The psyker looks at the horse drawn cart with some trepidation, as he turns to Atreus
"Any idea how to drive this cart?"

"Well, don't expect any fancy driving - Malfi high society rather goes for hover-cars, dontchew'know. But that there's a mule, and you flick the reins to get it to move, pull up on them to get it to slow or stop, and pull side to side to turn. Fairly simple, really."

Bowerbird
2010-08-25, 11:19 PM
Cromwell says into the microbead: "I'll head out after you guys tomorrow, after I've chased down every lead I can here." he heads to the cathedral.

Lycan 01
2010-08-25, 11:25 PM
Quint continues his search of the town, but finds nothing of major importance.

Cromwell heads to the church. He sees the same things everyone else has seen - guards, flyers, boxes, and a priest.

Atreus and Asteroth are almost out of Vox range...

Talkkno
2010-08-26, 01:59 AM
As they ride out toward the village, Asteroth takes a look at his companion thoughtfully for a moment and remarks.

"Why do you seem so nonchalent working with a pskyer?....Back when I was in the Guard, they had 2 or 3 minders near me at all times...I was never left alone there...."

Vikingkingq
2010-08-26, 05:05 AM
As they ride out toward the village, Asteroth takes a look at his companion thoughtfully for a moment and remarks.

"Why do you seem so nonchalent working with a pskyer?....Back when I was in the Guard, they had 2 or 3 minders near me at all times...I was never left alone there...."

Atreus laughs. "I am a Malfian nobleman, psyker. A member of a caste renowned for paranoia, sociopathy, and vicious intrigue beyond the pale of ordinary Malfians, who are themselves notorious throughout the sector for their depraved cunning. Compared to the evil I have seen ordinary men do to each other for petty advantage or out of pure boredom, a psyker is almost quaint."

Talkkno
2010-08-26, 05:56 AM
"Do you think we should turn back to check up on Quint's suspicions?"