PDA

View Full Version : 4E Telekenitic stuff

Fenrazer
2010-08-08, 10:39 PM
So, I have some utility powers in 4E, and I have been brainstorming, but I was wondering if anybody has some good house rules or if you know of things in RAW that may say how to do the following:

Say I were to telekinetically manipulate a cord to trip or strangle folks. Any system for that?

Say I were to drop something on top of someone, is there a way to determine a critical, or see if I knock them prone?

Say I were to fling something that they are on top of. Is there rules for ANY of this stuff?

Are there any house rules, or stuff given by RAW for things in this realm of possibility?

Likely there is, but I miss so much that its pretty stupid sometimes.

Urpriest
2010-08-08, 11:02 PM
RAW, damaging people with telekinetically manipulated stuff is...limited, at best. 4e's design frowns on non-attack powers being used for attacks. For example, it was realized that teleporting powers could deal lots of damage to enemies by teleporting them up into the air, so their damage was increased and the range you can teleport them was decreased. 4e would rather you didn't use item manipulation utilities to attack people.

CakeTown
2010-08-08, 11:08 PM
Not sure if there are any utility powers that can do those things, but Wizards get Mage Hand and Psions get Far Hand. With these, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to trip someone or drop something on their heads. I think strangling would be more difficult.

You should check with your DM. It'll be up to him whether you can even trip someone with one of those powers.

Fenrazer
2010-08-08, 11:11 PM
We spoke about it, but we just wanted to see if there were any good rules out there. Psions also get Telekinetic lift, which is same as far hand, only 400 lbs. I have been wanting to use it, but it is difficult to find what use it can be besides carrying stuff, which is lame since I can already use Tensers floating disc since level 1

Mando Knight
2010-08-09, 12:26 AM
Mage/Far Hand isn't capable of using weapons to attack, so why should it be able to use improvised weapons? At any rate, using them to attack would have to be a Standard Action anyway (you're concentrating on using the Hand, rather than just having it move stuff almost subconsciously), and would then get an attack roll and damage roll and whatnot, based on what the DM determines is appropriate.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-09, 02:42 AM
The short answer is "no". The slightly longer answer is,

Say I were to telekinetically manipulate a cord to trip or strangle folks. Any system for that?
Take the Ray of Enfeeblement power and refluff.

Say I were to drop something on top of someone, is there a way to determine a critical, or see if I knock them prone?
Take the Icy Terrain power and refluff.

Say I were to fling something that they are on top of. Is there rules for ANY of this stuff?
Er, this one is tricky even with existing powers and refluff. I'd suggest taking Primal Gust.