PDA

View Full Version : Ranger possibilities 3.5

TechnOkami
2010-08-08, 11:22 PM
So, I want to play a ranger, but I'm not well informed on the kinds of possibilities you can have with a Ranger, aka awesome classes which pair well with the Ranger class. Please help, I need some... badly. :smalleek:

P.S. This is set in the Dragonlance setting, and what I really want to be is a Planar Shepherd Druid, but my GM won't let me have the plane of dreams due to conflicts with the setting.

Coidzor
2010-08-08, 11:36 PM
See if he'll allow Mystic Ranger and Wildshaping variants to be combined, maybe?

Not sure how arcane spellcasting works due to the whole moon thing, but Sword of the Arcane Order + Mystic Ranger + Wildshaping makes it so you don't have to be quite so MAD to embrace the caster aspect and the ability to fight some too.

From there you can go MOMF/Warshaper/Nature Warrior/Fist of Forest(?) or go with something more gishy like acquiring a spellcasting progression of spells above 5th level and then using gish classes like Abjurant champion to keep BAB and spellcasting up.

On the other hand, Barb1 dip for Pounce + Scout/Ranger Swift hunter build can allow you to get some niftiness as a potentially effective but non uber-tricked out charger.

Or just Swift hunter + a dip in Cloistered Cleric for Travel/Knowledge Devotion(s) + possibly a nightstick to power getting a move action in exchange for a turning attempt and getting your skirmish on that way...

Unfortunately I don't really know what's kosher for Dragonlance.

gallagher
2010-08-09, 12:02 AM
See if he'll allow Mystic Ranger and Wildshaping variants to be combined, maybe?

Not sure how arcane spellcasting works due to the whole moon thing, but Sword of the Arcane Order + Mystic Ranger + Wildshaping makes it so you don't have to be quite so MAD to embrace the caster aspect and the ability to fight some too.

From there you can go MOMF/Warshaper/Nature Warrior/Fist of Forest(?) or go with something more gishy like acquiring a spellcasting progression of spells above 5th level and then using gish classes like Abjurant champion to keep BAB and spellcasting up.

On the other hand, Barb1 dip for Pounce + Scout/Ranger Swift hunter build can allow you to get some niftiness as a potentially effective but non uber-tricked out charger.

Or just Swift hunter + a dip in Cloistered Cleric for Travel/Knowledge Devotion(s) + possibly a nightstick to power getting a move action in exchange for a turning attempt and getting your skirmish on that way...

Unfortunately I don't really know what's kosher for Dragonlance.I like a swift hunter build mixed with having the devoted tracker and five levels of paladin o' freedom. having a mount animal companion with the mixed bonuses of both classes makes it kind of glorious in its own way. get dragon cohort for it to be a dragonnel, its really cool.

something like a Scout3/Ranger12/Paladin O' Freedom 5 makes for some fun. just make sure you have a good buff plan, and take the mounted combat style. use a lance. dragonnels fly, so you will have to take flybye attack, which isnt bad. i also think there is a paladin/ranger spell in the spell compendium which will let you pounce.

also, you can take a domain drought (magic item compendium) since you prepare divine spells. you will then have access to the domain powers of a domain, as well as being able to prepare the domains spells, all for 24 hours. i suggest having one of luck for when you are preparing to fight the big fight

gorfnab
2010-08-09, 12:16 AM
As suggested before Swift Hunters (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0) are awesome. Otherwise I kinda like Wildshape Mystic Ranger 8/ Swordsage 2/ Daggerspell Shaper 10 or Wildshape Mystic Ranger 9/ Rogue 1/ Daggerspell Shaper 10 if ToB is not allowed.

Eldariel
2010-08-09, 12:28 AM
What character concept do you have in mind? Ranger lends itself well to multiclassing to accomplish whatever you want but single-classed Ranger is somewhat mediocre.