PDA

View Full Version : Skill Carnival! (3.5)

heymejack
2010-08-09, 02:54 AM
Starting a new campaign and trying to think of creative way for the PCs to meet. Some of them are new, so I also want to make sure they understand how things work. So I've come up with this: the campaign starts at the spring festival, where there are booths set up for shops and food, craftsmen and merchants. Plus: GAMES!

Log rolling - Balance checks
Dagger toss - ranged attack
Pie eating contest - fortitude saves
Climbing race - climb check
Shell game - PC spot vs NPC slight of hand
Dunk the Mayor - ranged attack
Catch the Pig - Grapple check in a muddy arena at -15 for slipperyness
Feats of Strength - Rock toss, ring the bell by hitting the thing with the mallet, and tug of war
Bull riding - ride check to stay on. your time is equal to half your roll

in the center of the festival is a huge permanent barn in which there is, on display for public consumption, cages with a pack of dire apes, maybe a tiger, plus probably one of the PCs of a monster race. there is a drow, a half ogre and a pixie already. the pixie, looking to cause some chaos, releases most of the animals, at which point the PCs roll for initiative. (i'm confident the pixie will cooperate, she's played by my girlfriend).

My question is broad. Any ideas or suggestions for me? Other checks i could use for games? Any idea at all as to how i can get the stats for a bull or a dire bull for them to ride, and possibly fight once chaos breaks out. Keep in mind the party is 5th level at the start, that there are a lot of them (pcs that is), on the other hand, the leader is a munchkin, so they'll probably be able to handle stuff that they normally shouldn't be able to.

hamishspence
2010-08-09, 02:57 AM
Bison stats:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm

will do for almost any bull-type creature.

heymejack
2010-08-09, 08:29 AM
Yeah, i saw the bison, and it seemed like the closest thing. i'm gonna have to add some kind of charge though, or gore maybe.

true_shinken
2010-08-09, 08:37 AM
This kind of skill check will be trivial for any focused 5th level character, really. Though I like your idea for 1st level chars.

hamishspence
2010-08-09, 08:44 AM
Yeah, i saw the bison, and it seemed like the closest thing. i'm gonna have to add some kind of charge though, or gore maybe.

They already have a gore attack. Lack of Trample is a bit odd- but maybe that's reserved for things like elephants.

Morph Bark
2010-08-09, 08:51 AM
With Dunk The Mayor, I'd also require a minimum amount of "damage" they'd have to deal with the throw to actually get him in the water.

For the pie-eating, Constitution checks would be more appropriate, unless the pies are spiked with something.

Telonius
2010-08-09, 09:19 AM
A "Guess your age/weight" game. Sense Motive/Bluff.

hamishspence
2010-08-09, 09:25 AM
OoTS Start of Darkness had a circus that was a bit like this "Dingaling Brothers Anachronistic Circus"- with clowns, a bearded lady (actually just a female dwarf) and "IT!".

Among other things.

Crafty Cultist
2010-08-09, 02:38 PM
Maybe a maze of hay bales? I dont think you'd roll for anything, but it could be interesting if animals found their way in

Marnath
2010-08-09, 03:44 PM
They already have a gore attack. Lack of Trample is a bit odd- but maybe that's reserved for things like elephants.

I can assure you, cattle are perfectly capable of making trample attacks. Had a guy in this part of the world killed that way a few years ago.