PDA

View Full Version : Improved Multiweapon Fighting and a 6-armed BBEG

gallagher
2010-08-09, 10:53 AM
so i have a BBEG partially created (meaning, just gotta make sure these things are legal and buying all his equipment) that is an insectile swift hunter build (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=230727). he is a Ranger12/Scout3/Barb1 with pounce and the spring attack line. his whole thing is to charge+full attack+spring attack, and will use his climb speed and the terrain to keep himself out of trouble, as well as having his jaguar animal companion come in and give him flanking bonuses and grappling.

so my questions are as follows:
1) does spring attack allow me to move back after a charge? or will i have to forgo the benefits of the charge to keep this strategy working?
2)in multiweapon fighting, it says it replaces the TWF tree where appropriate, but IMWF and GMWF are in the epic level handbook. does this mean that i would have to have this guy be epic levels before he can get the feets (i dont have the book with me atm) or do the multiweapon tree go in where the combat styles improve for the ranger?
3) does this guy seem appropriate to send against a group of level 15-16 characters with a few mooks? it is a low magic setting, so he will be very threatening still. what kind of CR do you think he would be with, say, a CR 8 and two CR 6 mooks around him?
4) what else should i equip this guy with?

thanks, playground!

Gerrtt
2010-08-09, 11:40 AM
If you take a look at the SRD (or a SRD, there are several, I use www.d20srd.org you'll see that IMWF and GWMF are general non-epic feats, which means you can take them pre-epic as long as you meet the prerequisites.

As for the charge/spring attack combo, I don't think so.

Charge requires a special full-round action and spring attack requires you to use the regular attack action (ie 1 attack at your highest BAB) in combination with your move speed.

If this did work the way you hoped you'd see more two-weapon fighting flurry focused monks with spring attack darting in, dealing 12 attacks, and darting out.

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 11:40 AM
You can't combine Spring Attack with a Charge in any circumstance. Charging is a full round action. If you've used all your actions to Charge, you don't have any actions left to Spring Attack. Sorry, doesn't work like that.

Drogorn
2010-08-09, 11:46 AM
Seems to me that you'd get a more interesting character out of Dervish instead.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-09, 11:48 AM
You could have also tried the Obah-blessed template from Dungeon 136 pg 60

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
multiweapon fighting bonus feat
LA +2

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
LA +3

gallagher
2010-08-09, 12:19 PM
You could have also tried the Obah-blessed template from Dungeon 136 pg 60

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
LA +2

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
LA +3

i would, but as a matter of principle i dont use the dragon magazines (as nobody in my group has a single copy, and we never have used them before). this has only been overruled once, and it was for the Serenity feat on a paladin/monk build

PId6
2010-08-09, 12:52 PM
You can't combine Spring Attack with a Charge in any circumstance. Charging is a full round action. If you've used all your actions to Charge, you don't have any actions left to Spring Attack. Sorry, doesn't work like that.
Yeah, this. I'd suggest taking Travel Devotion in place of Spring Attack so you can full-round pounce, then swift action tumble back.

gallagher
2010-08-09, 01:05 PM
Yeah, this. I'd suggest taking Travel Devotion in place of Spring Attack so you can full-round pounce, then swift action tumble back.

then i could also take martial study and martial stance for that shadow blade stance that gives a miss chance...

what items would also make this guy a good fight, and is this CR-appropriate for level 15-16?

Escheton
2010-08-09, 02:34 PM
Normally you can't use the extra arms from insectile that way. But you are the dm...

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 03:40 PM
You'll want weapons for sure, and probably a way to increase his Con. Then protection from having his mobility restricted (Ring of FoM, or just a 1-use item that grants Heart of Water if you don't want to give the PCs that much cash), some kind of miss chance (Lesser Cloak of Displacement, or Shape Soulmeld + Open Lesser Chakra for Displacer Mantle to Shoulders), and possibly some kind of get-a-way teleport if you don't want him to be killed/captured, like a recall gem or such. If your PCs fly a lot, he'll want flight, or some way to negate opponent's flight. Other than that, boost his AC, touch AC, and survivability in general.

gallagher
2010-08-09, 04:36 PM
You'll want weapons for sure, and probably a way to increase his Con. Then protection from having his mobility restricted (Ring of FoM, or just a 1-use item that grants Heart of Water if you don't want to give the PCs that much cash), some kind of miss chance (Lesser Cloak of Displacement, or Shape Soulmeld + Open Lesser Chakra for Displacer Mantle to Shoulders), and possibly some kind of get-a-way teleport if you don't want him to be killed/captured, like a recall gem or such. If your PCs fly a lot, he'll want flight, or some way to negate opponent's flight. Other than that, boost his AC, touch AC, and survivability in general.
The Freedom of Movement is a bit much, but is there a way to get a swift action teleport, if it is to the same spot every time? for instance, in the bows of a tree? the biggest thing about him is he will always be hiding in plain sight, thanks to his collar of umbral metamorphosis, by just running around a dense jungle area, like the amazon, with some type of open temple with the altar in it. the players will have to have endurance or something to help keep them from getting exhausted, but the guy is not going to be teleporting out of the area, because he is sworn to protect it

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 04:43 PM
Anklets of Translocation allow for swift action teleportation, but only 10' twice per day.
Boots of Big Stepping allow for 3/day teleports, but isn't swift.
same with Bolt Shirt and Cape of the Montebank and the Aporter armor enchantment

The mid level item of Shadow Hand would allow the user to Shadow Blink once per encounter, which is 50 feet, but you might need some other lower level SH manevuers to qualify for it.