PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite armor enhancement?

WarKitty
2010-08-09, 12:17 PM
Basically what the title says: what's your favorite enhancement to have added to armor at each of, say under 4,000, 4m000 to 16,000, 16,000 to 36,000, and over 36,000. Or do you just go for the straight enhancement bonus?

Edit: especially interested in abilities for armor-wearing divine casters

Caphi
2010-08-09, 12:19 PM
+1 blurring.

Furnok
2010-08-09, 12:22 PM
(+5) Heavy Fort

Thread End/

WinWin
2010-08-09, 12:23 PM
Favorite Shield would be the Lions Shield.

Armour would be Twilight (+1)

Daelen
2010-08-09, 12:24 PM
(+5) Heavy Fort

Thread End/

Quoted For Truth

Eldariel
2010-08-09, 12:25 PM
Some of my favorite armor abilities include:
- Ghost Ward
- Soulfire
- Greater Fortifications
- Nimbleness
- Displacing

As such, I almost invariably get +1 and add abilities for all the rest the armor is worth. Tho I have great affinity for Celestial Armor too.

Telonius
2010-08-09, 12:33 PM
I've always been partial to the non-numbered bonuses. Glamered, Slick, Silent, Shadow. Then again I usually play sneaky or scout-type characters.

WarKitty
2010-08-09, 12:34 PM
I've always been partial to the non-numbered bonuses. Glamered, Slick, Silent, Shadow. Then again I usually play sneaky or scout-type characters.

Good point, perhaps I should have suggested price ranges.

AmberVael
2010-08-09, 12:49 PM
Some of my favorite armor abilities include:
- Ghost Ward
- Soulfire
- Greater Fortifications
- Nimbleness

These are definitely my favorite armor abilities as well. They give good protective powers and nimbleness helps get rid of some of that annoying ACP and Dex restriction.

Person_Man
2010-08-09, 01:00 PM
Empyreal armor or shield enhancement: You can transfer your enhancement bonus to AC to be a sacred bonus to Saves. Although adding this to a +5 shield or armor to get a bonus to your Saves would be twice as expensive as a Cloak of Resistance, it’s noteworthy in that the bonuses stack. So for a grand total of 75,000ish gp (reasonably affordable at ECL 13-14ish), you can get a +10 to all of your Saves. +2 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 112.

arguskos
2010-08-09, 01:04 PM
Speaking from the Artificer PoV, I really like Healing. Why? Armor Augmentation. :smallamused: Takes the heat off the cleric in a party of five people (yes, yes, I would normally just make a wand of lesser vigor, but we're not level 5 yet, and I couldn't afford it anyways, so that has to do).

Also, Speed (haste for 1 round as a swift action three times a day? Sure!), Greater Blurring (blur for 10 minutes... at will? Sign me up!), Aporter (dimension door 800 ft? Yay!), and Greater Healing (2/day 3d8+15 healing? :smallbiggrin:) are all nice, IMO. At least, they're nice as an Artificer.

Ernir
2010-08-09, 01:07 PM
Fearsome, from Drow of the Underdark. +5 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks, and demoralize as a move action (!!!).
Combine with the Imperious Command feat from the same book, and some kind of standard action melee attacker, and profit.

Escheton
2010-08-09, 06:02 PM
No1: called, great for walking around town in your civilian get-up and suddenly be in fullplate when a mugger pulls a knife.
No2: whichever enhancement gives the armor immunity to rust and acid.
No3: +5 heavy fort chain shirt with +1 greater spell resist chainar-aina and a spearblock arrowcatching buckler.

ex cathedra
2010-08-09, 06:13 PM
Fearsome, from Drow of the Underdark. +5 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks, and demoralize as a move action (!!!).
Combine with the Imperious Command feat from the same book, and some kind of standard action melee attacker, and profit.

I prefer the Dragons of Faerun Fearsome, which gives you a 40' radius constant Fear aura. As the spell. There are two or three other printings of the same enhancement with different, but I can't recall them all.

DarkSetzer
2010-08-09, 06:18 PM
Armour would be Twilight (+1)

I second Twilight.

Though the various Fortifications are fun too.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-09, 06:31 PM
No2: whichever enhancement gives the armor immunity to rust and acid.

That could be durable or everbright. Dungeonscape and MiC respectively.

+1 on Soulfire
Anti-impact. Half damage on any full body crushing damage (falling, constriction) Really good against traps with no saves like walls that suddenly slam shut on you

Retaliation (MIC), similar to the retribution amulets, but 1d6 everytime you take 10+ points of damage.

Kaeso
2010-08-10, 06:53 AM
If armor includes shields, I really like the animated shield. It's fantastic to get an AC bonus (which could go as far as 4 AC for a tower shield) and still wield a two handed weapon.

Psyx
2010-08-10, 07:27 AM
Deathward for a 'plus' one.
Twilight.

Mindshield, called, and ...is it quickness: +5' move. All fixed price mods.

And heartwire, of course.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-10, 09:54 AM
Thought heartwire was a material, not an enhancement.

WarKitty
2010-08-10, 10:10 AM
If armor includes shields, I really like the animated shield. It's fantastic to get an AC bonus (which could go as far as 4 AC for a tower shield) and still wield a two handed weapon.

Yeah I've been eyeing that one. Although in my case it's more "have an AC bonus while still wielding a weapon and having a free hand to cast."

mcl01
2010-08-10, 10:19 AM
Yeah I've been eyeing that one. Although in my case it's more "have an AC bonus while still wielding a weapon and having a free hand to cast."

Or in my case, allow my TWF bardic paladin to wreck with Travel Devotion, Divine Might, Snowflake Wardance, and Divine Shield all at the same time.

Psyx
2010-08-10, 10:35 AM
"Thought heartwire was a material, not an enhancement."

Meh. It's a number of small pieces of material; not an armour material unto itself. Does it really matter?

Popertop
2010-08-11, 01:28 AM

I thought you couldn't animate a tower shield

Ravens_cry
2010-08-11, 04:48 AM
I thought you couldn't animate a tower shield

Looking under the Animated enchantment, I see nothing that says that. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm)

Popertop
2010-08-11, 09:48 AM
But you still take any penalties associated with shield use, which for a tower shield would be -2 on all attacks, as well as ACP -10 and ASF 50 percent. Not sure about the max dex though.

WarKitty
2010-08-11, 10:03 AM
But you still take any penalties associated with shield use, which for a tower shield would be -2 on all attacks, as well as ACP -10 and ASF 50 percent. Not sure about the max dex though.

Since the text says "all penalties associated with shield use, such as..." I would presume you take the max dex as well. That would still be a great addition to a divine caster though...especially one that focuses on spells that aren't actually "attacks" so you can use it as cover.

Thurbane
2010-08-11, 09:36 PM
Yep, an Animated Shield is a good friend to all 2-handed Power Attackers. Unfortunately, by the time you can afford it, AC has become significantly less important than it is at lower levels...but still handy. Not to mention it's an extra "slot" to throw more enhancements onto. :smallsmile:

JaronK
2010-08-11, 09:51 PM
Fearsome is my favorite, if I have Imperious Command on a Dread Necromancer.

+1 Eager Armor Spikes of Warning are awesome to put on anything, too.

JaronK

Jack_Simth
2010-08-11, 09:56 PM
Glammered. Definately Glammered. Glammered Full Plate on a caster-Cleric goes well with a Mithral Buckler (staple for wizards, sorcerers, and other types that have to worry about ASF). What armor? It keeps the AC, but you need TRUE SEEING to tell it isn't just regular clothing. Always nice when the opponents are trying to melee a dwarven ironworks because he looks like a squishy arcanist.

Paul H
2010-08-12, 07:06 AM
Hi

Deathward, pure and simple.

Thanks
Paul H

Harris the Ford
2010-08-12, 09:36 AM
+5 defending armor spikes on top of +5 magic-eating full plate. It's nice to vamp my AC while still having some protection from magic. I'm going to put some more enhancements on my armor, I think called wouldn't be bad.

Draz74
2010-08-12, 10:59 AM
My favorites are actually the dirt-cheap utility ones that often go overlooked. For example, Durable and Restful, from Dungeonscape, and Easy Travel, from MIC. Hard to imagine an armor-using character that shouldn't pick up those first two, really (after Level 6 or so).

I also love Mithralmist Shirts.

The MIC version of Fearsome is pretty decent, too, actually, though not in such a game-changing way. 3/day swift action fear attack on multiple targets, all for a flat-rate cost of 15k gp. The save DC is easy to pass, but even on a successful save targets are shaken, which makes it stack nicely with other fear effects (for example, a high Intimidate check without Imperious Command but with the Never Outnumbered skill trick).

Really, I think Fearsome Fearsome armor might not be bad. :smallamused:

Augmented Lurk
2010-08-12, 04:17 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide has the Acidic enchantment, which has 2 effects: 1. immunity to acid (ok, but nothing special), and 2. immunity to touch attacks (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It's 3.0, so technically still legal (I don't think it ever got updated, but I could be wrong).

herrhauptmann
2010-08-12, 11:27 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide has the Acidic enchantment, which has 2 effects: 1. immunity to acid (ok, but nothing special), and 2. immunity to touch attacks (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It's 3.0, so technically still legal (I don't think it ever got updated, but I could be wrong).

"Momentary touch attacks" Perhaps it means getting slapped/punched, but say a shocking grasp spell (touch attack) would still work.
As a DM I wouldn't allow it, not without altering. Even for a +4 enchantment, the most literal definition that you used would be far too powerful.