PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Damaging Spells?

mafddawg
2010-08-09, 03:06 PM
The fiend-blooded prc has a class feature that lets him do spell smiting, adding his class level + cha mod to a spells damag. I was wondering what constitutes as a damagins spell? Anything with the word damage in it, including ability damage like ray of enfeeblement? Or must it target a creatures hp?

As a follow up, what happens if i apply the spell smite to a duration spell, like body of the sun? or an enhancing spell like blades of fire?

WinWin
2010-08-09, 03:10 PM
pretty sure it refers to hit points damage. From memory, the smite does hp damage only.

Flickerdart
2010-08-09, 03:13 PM
Bonus sources of damage on spells that don't hurt HP deal appropriate energy types of damage. For example, Enervation would deal negative energy damage if it were augmented with a sneak attack or similar.

mafddawg
2010-08-09, 03:24 PM
Aha, so i would deal extra smite damag to hp, not ability. What about a spell that is continous like body of the sun or wall of fire. Does the smite damage only happen once? or every time it deals damage? or is it simply impossible to augment those kinds of spells

Flickerdart
2010-08-09, 03:28 PM
If the ability is applied as the spell is cast, then all of the damage from that casting of the spell would be affected.

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 03:33 PM
Yea, I always wondered about the legality of Fell Draining Sonic Weapon. Would the negative level only happen once? Or once per hit? Load that puppy onto a TWFing rogue and stack negative levels on top of his maximum shankage.

Likewise, the above mentioned Fiend Blooded ability...would that really add 1d6+1/2 level+cha to damage per swing?

Flickerdart
2010-08-09, 03:41 PM
Sonic Weapon, IIRC, doesn't deal damage, just makes the weapon it's cast on deal damage. Not the same thing.

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 03:52 PM
So, if you cast a Maximized Sonic Weapon, how much damage would the weapon deal when you hit someone with it? +1d6 damage? Or +6 damage?

What about spells that deal damage over several rounds? Vitrolic Sphere is one I'm thinkin about right now. 6d6 per round for 3 rounds. Would it be 6d6 + 1/2 level + cha on the first round, 6d6 on the 2nd and 3rd rounds? OR 6d6 + 1/2 level + cha on all 3 rounds? You could get seriously creative with this...

Eloel
2010-08-09, 04:03 PM
The fiend-blooded prc has a class feature that lets him do spell smiting, adding his class level + cha mod to a spells damage.
Locate City Bomb loves you.

mafddawg
2010-08-09, 04:35 PM
How would smiting spell affect the locate city bomb? I'm not too familiar with the cheese of that spell.

Eloel
2010-08-09, 04:43 PM
Locate City Bomb deals 2 damage to everyone in a huge (very huge) radius, in addition to having everyone bounce around for more damage. With how easy it is to boost stats, +cha to damage to everyone in the whole radius is made of win.