PDA

View Full Version : But I wanna be a Lich too!

Daelen
2010-08-09, 04:06 PM
Is there a template for non-humanoid, non-dragon Liches?

Saya
2010-08-09, 04:08 PM
What race are you exactly?

Daelen
2010-08-09, 04:14 PM
Its not for an actual game... its an idea that I came up with a few nights ago. I want to make a Warforged Wizard that dreams of becoming a Lich, to once and for all prove that Warforged do in fact have souls.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-09, 04:17 PM
The only "Lich" templates officially printed are the base Lich and the Lichfiend.

You could go into Reforged or get the Incarnate Construct template, then go Lich as normal...

Saya
2010-08-09, 04:21 PM
Can warforged even have a decay/gaunt look?

Well, there's two things:
1. Go into dry lich, no soul though, just organs, which brings up more questions...

2. Just say screw it and in your setting, warforged can become liches somehow (ignoring the fact that I believe you need to poison yourself to become a lich...)

Daelen
2010-08-09, 04:22 PM
The only "Lich" templates officially printed are the base Lich and the Lichfiend.

You could go into Reforged or get the Incarnate Construct template, then go Lich as normal...

Actually, unless I'm missing something, Reforged doesn't turn you into a humanoid... at least not by actual Type, so you still don't qualify for Lichdom. I guess my dream won't come true :smallfrown:

Kesnit
2010-08-09, 04:25 PM
Can warforged even have a decay/gaunt look?

Rusted, maybe?

2. Just say screw it and in your setting, warforged can become liches somehow

This would be my recommendation.

(ignoring the fact that I believe you need to poison yourself to become a lich...)

Not according to the SRD. All it says is a lich is an undead spellcaster, usually a wizard or sorcerer but sometimes a cleric or other spellcaster, who has used its magical powers to unnaturally extend its life. There's no details about the ritual, other than the lich must make their own phylactery, requiring the Craft Wonderous Item feat.

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 04:27 PM
So...if you were a Warforged Dread Necromancer who got to level 20...what would happen? I'd assume it would force you into undeath, given that Construct and Undead are both at the top of the food chain for templates (according to Savage Species).

Same thing with a Necropolitan who became a Greenstar Adept10.

Hmmmmm, if you went into epic levels, you could totally do something like Necropolitan Dread Necro10/GSA10/Dread Necro+10. You'd be an Undead who became a Construct who became an Undead again...crazy!

Daelen
2010-08-09, 04:29 PM
The reason I even bring this up is for what I thought was a beautifully wonderful idea, though it was decided on at 4 am lol. The idea was that the Warforged could craft his body into his phylactery, thus trapping his soul, inside his own body still.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-09, 04:31 PM
I see a downside to this.

Daelen
2010-08-09, 04:39 PM
I see a downside to this.

As far as I can tell... if they attack you, they would only bring you down, then you would get back up and keep going. Even though the phylactery is part of you... it has to be 'destroyed'... which would mean they would have to try and sunder you. I'm not even sure how that would work as a Warforged, and I'm guessing that's one reason its not possible lol.

Saya
2010-08-09, 04:39 PM
The reason I even bring this up is for what I thought was a beautifully wonderful idea, though it was decided on at 4 am lol. The idea was that the Warforged could craft his body into his phylactery, thus trapping his soul, inside his own body still.

You warforge's body is slightly larger than tiny.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-09, 04:42 PM
If you are your own phylactery and you are destroyed, then your phylactery is destroyed. If it's merely a componant of you, then it's in danger every single time you are hit.

And I'm pretty sure that if I put a robotic wizard up against my players, they'd drop that thing in as much melty doom as they could find or create as a matter of course, reguardless of whether it was rumoured to be a lich!

Starbuck_II
2010-08-09, 05:51 PM
So...if you were a Warforged Dread Necromancer who got to level 20...what would happen? I'd assume it would force you into undeath, given that Construct and Undead are both at the top of the food chain for templates (according to Savage Species).

Sorry, only humanoid Dread Necros get that class feature. Fine print at end of class feature.

Prime32
2010-08-09, 06:27 PM
Just ignore the type restriction and apply the lich template anyway.

Jack_Simth
2010-08-09, 06:44 PM
Sandstorm, the Dry Lich, page 157. It's "any living creature" that can craft the canopic jars (phylactory, really) and undergo the rite.

Tokuhara
2010-08-09, 06:52 PM
Sandstorm, the Dry Lich, page 157. It's "any living creature" that can craft the canopic jars (phylactory, really) and undergo the rite.

Since they are called Living Constructs, it should be allowed