PDA

View Full Version : Making a good Spellthief...

gallagher
2010-08-09, 07:00 PM
so i am thinking, a good spellthief is something i have always really wanted to play. i have seen a few builds of good ones, here is one i am thinking of using:

Spellthief 1/Sorc3/USS10/Spellwarp Sniper5

i can get a spike chain for flanking, get a good amount of spells known that i would like to turn into rays, or are already rays. get master spellthief and i am good to go!

Tokuhara
2010-08-09, 07:04 PM
so i am thinking, a good spellthief is something i have always really wanted to play. i have seen a few builds of good ones, here is one i am thinking of using:

Spellthief 1/Sorc3/USS10/Spellwarp Sniper5

i can get a spike chain for flanking, get a good amount of spells known that i would like to turn into rays, or are already rays. get master spellthief and i am good to go!

Good idea. Ran it once. Deadly at close, but semi-week at afar (your ray specialization will help here)

Racially, I have 2:

Whisper Gnome from Races of Stone. Look them up. They're borderline LA1

and

Neraph from Planar Handbook. When you move, you can get a camoflage-like ability.

I also suggest using Ambush Feats to add the proverbial "!"

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-09, 07:04 PM
Pretty much. I would, however, either focus solely on range or melee. Ranged is generally done with things like grease to get sneak attack than metamagic up the wazoo while TWFing generally ends with either Arcane Trickster or Abjurant Champion.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-09, 07:11 PM
Reeeeeead (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299).

gallagher
2010-08-09, 07:16 PM
Pretty much. I would, however, either focus solely on range or melee. Ranged is generally done with things like grease to get sneak attack than metamagic up the wazoo while TWFing generally ends with either Arcane Trickster or Abjurant Champion.
i figure i would mostly charge to a flanking position, strike, steal a spell, back up and use it, then repeat. my spells that i know would be mostly utility and defense (unluck+mage hand + spirit worm for lolz). i would have ray spells ready for after i win initiative or attack someone in a grapple (with a spellguarding ring or whatever it is that my ally can be impervious to damage from my spells). also in the event that i face someone with fortified armor, i would have a better way of attacking them with wands of melfs acid arrow and rainbow blast

i just have the picture in my head of seeing the wizards face after i steal his maximized empowered fireball and turn it into a ray, then steal another of their precious spells that they took alot of time and effort considering what they wanted to prepare that morning

Private-Prinny
2010-08-09, 07:54 PM
i just have the picture in my head of seeing the wizards face after i steal his maximized empowered fireball and turn it into a ray, then steal another of their precious spells that they took alot of time and effort considering what they wanted to prepare that morning

Then you may want to consider more Spellthief levels, as most people forget about this little clause.

At any one time, a spellthief can possess a maximum number of stolen spell levels equal to his class level (treat 0-level spells as 1/2 level for this purpose). For instance, a 4th-level spellthief can have two stolen 2nd-level spells, or one 2nd-level spell and two 1st-level spells, or any other combination of 0-level, 1st-level, and 2nd-level spells totaling four levels. If he steals a spell that would cause him to exceed this limit, he must choose to lose stolen spells sufficient to reduce his total number of stolen spell levels to no more than his maximum.

By RAW, you would need at least 8 Spellthief levels to steal that Fireball, since it uses an 8th level spell slot. I feel that it works pretty well by RAI, too, since that interpretation makes Spellthief an integral part of the build, instead of just an incredibly front-loaded dip.

dobu
2010-08-10, 02:32 AM
I have to agree with Private-Prinny. RAW you can steal but not hold a spell with a higher level than 1.

My Dungeonmaster houseruled once, that other classes with spellcasting (or classes that progress spellcasting for that matter) count as half spellthief level (round down), similar to those martial adepts and manifester level.

so a spellthief 1/wizard 5 could steal a 3rd level spells (just as a normal spellthief) and hold 3 spell levels.