PDA

View Full Version : 4e Vehicle immunities

cupkeyk
2010-08-09, 07:40 PM
Hi y'all. So we are getting an Astral Clipper but it has horrible defenses. I am guessing this is alleviated by the fact that as an object, it will be immune to a lot of status effects like stun, daze, paralyzed, psychic damage(maybe) and possibly forced movement from anything that isn't the same category as it is. You can just imagine a halfling fighter footwork luring a gargantuan unmanned airship. -_-

But these are all just guesses. Is it written anywhere what vehicles(and/or objects) are immmune to or resistant to?

Nu
2010-08-09, 07:42 PM
I know that "objects" are immune to attacks that target Will defense, that's in the DMG somewhere I believe. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Edit: The DMG also specifies that objects are immune to poison, psychic, and necrotic damage. Most other things seem to be up to the DM.

Swordgleam
2010-08-09, 07:51 PM
I'd assume stuff like daze and stun have no effect because a vehicle doesn't take independent actions. (Chariots and such being different, of course.)

Telok
2010-08-09, 08:12 PM
Vehicles in 4e are very fragile. I don't recall if they can or cannot be targeted by vs. Will attacks. You'll have to look that up. However 4e is very tight ruled about immunities and just what "immune" means, make sure you read those rules.

In general vehicles are very easy to hit, their main defense is having lots of hit points. Unfortunately they often only have as many hp as an equal leveled defender. After three or four AoE attacks against the party (since the vehicle is in the bast radius if they are on it) you will be in danger of destruction.

Make sure that you pick up the Mending ritual. It costs 1/10th the price of the ship each time you cast it, but it will completely repair the ship in ten minutes.

The long term survival of your ship will depend on the good graces of the DM. An intelligent enemy that did not value the ship would be perfectly happy to destroy it, and that would be easier than downing a PC.

Edit: I checked. Fort 20, Will n/a, other defenses are single digits, so it probably ignores Will attacks. It's a level 14 item with 350 hp so I was wrong on the hits. It'll cost you 2100 gold per Mending ritual. So assume it can take about 10 good hits before being destroyed. A pity that objects don't have damage reduction any more.

Last thought, look up the crashing rules. Push, pull, and slide effects still work on things that big (irony: a tiny size critter with a Push 5 power has full effect on a gargantuan creature) and you can be shoved into other ships or chunks of landscape.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-09, 08:16 PM
what about attacks vs. Fort? as objects have Fort "-" i believe

Nu
2010-08-09, 08:20 PM
what about attacks vs. Fort? as objects have Fort "-" i believe

The vehicles I looked up in the Adventurer's Vault just to confirm have AC, Fortitude, and Reflex defenses. Fortitude is higher than most of the others.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-09, 08:24 PM
i forgot that KotSF had alot of issues and that's where i got my lack of Fort from. haven't had a look in AV in ages

Gralamin
2010-08-09, 08:29 PM
But these are all just guesses. Is it written anywhere what vehicles(and/or objects) are immmune to or resistant to?

It is not really written. However, the DMG specifically saids that DMs SHOULD decide what objects are resistant to, based on the situation (this presumably also effects Vehicles.)