PDA

View Full Version : Random Divine Metamagic question...

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-09, 10:05 PM
DMM is an amazing feat. You use turn attempts to fuel metamagic feats, I think everyone here knows this, and I don't have to go into too much detail right? My question is this: In the case of feats like Sudden Empower/Maximize/Quicken and the like, would you only need to spend ONE turn attempt for each of these feats since the feats themselves say that you can use them once per day without increasing the spells level? Or am I missing some kind of errata anywhere?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-09, 10:11 PM
You can Sudden Empower a spell once/day for free, or you can DMM: Sudden Empower a spell once/day for one turn attempt. You cannot do both in the same day, because Sudden Empower can only be used once in any given day. DMM: Sudden Empower won't allow you do use it more often than would normally be allowed, and using it with Divine Metamagic would cost more than it otherwise would. As per errata you would still need to spend a feat to get Sudden Empower anyway before taking DMM: Sudden Empower, so you'd be wasting a feat. You're better off just taking Sudden Empower normally and using it for free, instead of wasting another feat on DMM: Sudden Empower and paying extra to use it.

Felyndiira
2010-08-09, 10:13 PM
Sudden Empower:

Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat.
Benefit: Once per day, you may apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell you cast, without increasing the level of the spell or specially preparing it ahead of time. You may still use the Empower Spell feat normally.

Nowhere in Divine Metamagic does it say that the spell can override limitations placed on the metamagic feat itself. Thus, even with DMM, you can't persist, for example, a wall of fire spell. Thus, you would be able to spend one turn undead attempt to apply sudden X to a spell, although you'll have to wait one day before applying it again. Also, DMM [Sudden Empower] counts as applying sudden empower, so even with both feats, you still only get the benefits of Sudden Empower.

In short, yes, you can spend one TU attempt to power Sudden Metamagic with DMM, although it would be useless since the 1/day restriction will still apply.

EDIT: Ninja'd =x.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-09, 10:19 PM
Ok thanks guys. I knew the Sudden feats had that 1/day limitation, but wasn't sure if you could get around it with dmm.