PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Wings, Celestials, and Flight

Kelkel
2010-08-09, 10:09 PM
So im about to play in a new campaign, starting at mid level.

I was looking at the sorcerer celestial bloodline and they get a really neat power at 9, and an improved version at 20... wings! I really had my heart set on making a cleric, but I loved winged characters... is there some way I can have my cake and eat it too? IE be a cleric and still get some kind of winged trait or feat or something?

Rixx
2010-08-09, 10:10 PM
Take the Travel domain, and see if your DM lets you fluff the Fly spell as letting you grow wings - that's the only thing that immediately springs to mind.

Bagel
2010-08-09, 10:15 PM
if you don't mind LA you can go with the "winged" template from savage species, it also boots dex and wisdom. and if your dex is high enough (17) you get a perfect maneuverability.

aeauseth
2010-08-10, 11:18 AM
Races of the wild has a flying birdlike race. Animal dovation feat gives you temporary wings. Races of the dragon have a couple of ways to get wings.

hobbes1020
2010-08-10, 11:52 AM
Races of Faerun has a feat called Outside Wings. It requires taking another feat from the same source book called Celestial Bloodline. Perhaps you can ask your DM if you can import those feats into your campaign.

9mm
2010-08-10, 01:54 PM
if you don't mind LA you can go with the "winged" template from savage species, it also boots dex and wisdom. and if your dex is high enough (17) you get a perfect maneuverability.

Races of the wild has a flying birdlike race. Animal dovation feat gives you temporary wings. Races of the dragon have a couple of ways to get wings.

Races of Faerun has a feat called Outside Wings. It requires taking another feat from the same source book called Celestial Bloodline. Perhaps you can ask your DM if you can import those feats into your campaign.

I love how people just assume PATHFINDER = 3.5 books allowed.

unfortunately off hand there really isn't many ways to grow wings in Pathfinder; there might be a way in the APG in the sub domains but I'm AFB.

Marnath
2010-08-10, 01:58 PM
Does pathfinder have favored souls? They get wings, but not soon enough to matter probably.

Endarire
2010-08-10, 02:29 PM
Dragonborn Template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) - Get wings from L1 and flight from L6!

Rixx
2010-08-10, 02:34 PM
Oracles of certain mysteries can get wings (winds and flame immediately spring to mind, but I think there are more).

Siosilvar
2010-08-10, 02:35 PM

Pathfinder is intended to be (mostly) backwards-compatible with 3.5. So that's a perfectly valid assumption.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-08-10, 04:24 PM
Or you could add the Half-Celestial Template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-celestial), assuming your DM allows it. Due to the wonky way Pathfinder deals with LA (i.e. not having any and letting DMs adjudicate it on a case by case basis) this becomes a valid option for players, depending on how your DM views the variable CR increase (for HD < 5 it is +1 which I think makes it available for PCs). It gets you various abilities (+1 Natural Armor, the Outsider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Outsider) (Native (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Native)) Type with its tasty Weapon Proficiencies, Energy Resistance, Immunity to Disease, a Racial Save bonus against Poison, DR, SR, some SLAs and Smite 1/day, and some ability increases) and, most importantly, Wings with a fly speed of 2x Land Speed and Good Maneuverability.

I've played a (cloistered) Cleric who was a Half-Celestial Human, and the template is useful but not so powerful as to be problematic. I was easily the most optimized of the group, but as the party buffer nobody seemed to mind.

LibraryOgre
2010-08-11, 11:22 AM
So im about to play in a new campaign, starting at mid level.

I was looking at the sorcerer celestial bloodline and they get a really neat power at 9, and an improved version at 20... wings! I really had my heart set on making a cleric, but I loved winged characters... is there some way I can have my cake and eat it too? IE be a cleric and still get some kind of winged trait or feat or something?

There's also the Dragon Disciple. You might talk to your DM about adapting that to clerics (becoming more divine than draconic, for example; switch out language, skill, and spell requirements). It wouldn't be a big switch.

subject42
2010-08-11, 11:34 AM
Level adjustment for monstrous races doesn't hurt nearly as badly in PF as it did in 3.5. Maybe you could look for something winged with a low CR and use that as your race?

hobbes1020
2010-08-11, 11:40 AM

I love how people love to be rude on the internet.

From the Pathfinder conversion PDF which you can download for free from Paizo: "It includes rules for converting characters, monsters, feats, spells, prestige classes, and magic items from the 3.5 version of the rules to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game."

As I stated in my first post he could ASK his DM if it would be allowed for him to import those feats into the campaign.

Kelkel
2010-08-11, 10:23 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! I think im going to try the half-celestial idea, that seems to fit me perfectly anyway :)

I do have a followup question: If my "type" changes to outsider native, does that strange outsider type stuff apply to the character, or is that just for monsters and NPCs? The skill points would need to be changed for pathfinder a bit, obviously.

Outsider Type
8-sided Hit Dice, Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter), Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves, Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry. roficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types.

subject42
2010-08-11, 10:31 PM
You won't technically have racial hit die in Pathfinder, so none of that stuff comes into play.