PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Knight Fix [Please Help and PEACH!]

Ajadea
2010-08-09, 10:15 PM
The Knight

The WoTC Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2), for comparison purposes. Unless it is mentioned, the ability is unchanged from their version. This is my first homebrew, so I apologize in advance if it seems unbalanced.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Knight’s challenge, knight’s code, fighting challenge +1, fighter training
2|+2|+3|+0|+3|Shield block +1
3|+3|+3|+1|+3|Bonus feat, bulwark of defense
4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Fighting challenge +2, test of mettle
5|+5|+4|+1|+4|Armor mastery (medium), vigilant defender
6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Shield ally, shield block +2
7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Bonus feat
8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Daunting challenge, fighting challenge +3
9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Armor mastery (heavy)
10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Shield block +3
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Bonus feat
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Call to arms, fighting challenge + 4
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Improved bulwark of defense
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Shield block +4, improved shield ally
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Bonus feat
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Battle fervor, fighting challenge +5
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Impetuous endurance
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Shield block +5
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Bonus feat
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Fighting challenge +6, loyal beyond death[/table]

Hit Die: d12
Alignment: Any Lawful
Skill points per level: 4+Int modifier, x4 at 1st level.
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields)

Knight’s Challenge (Ex): As the original knight.

Fighting Challenge: As the original knight, scaling as shown on the table (+2 at 4th, +3 at 8th, continuing to add +1 every four levels)

Test of Mettle: As the original knight.

Daunting Challenge: As the original knight, gained at level 8 (down from level 12)

Call to Arms: Starting at 12th level, as a swift action, you can expend a use of your knight’s challenge ability to give all your allies within 100 feet a +2 morale bonus to all saving throws, attack rolls, armor class, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. This lasts a number of rounds equal to 5+your knight level+your Charisma Modifier (minimum 1).

Battle Fervor: Starting at 16th level, as a swift action, you can spend a use of your knight’s challenge ability to ignore an amount of hit point damage during a combat equal to your Charisma modifier times your Knight level. The damage is instead dealt 1d10 rounds after combat ends.

Loyal Beyond Death: As the original knight.

Fighter Training (Ex): A knight can take feats that require a specific fighter level as if you have a fighter level equal to ¾ of your knight level, rounded down. You must meet all other prerequisites. These effective fighter levels stack with actual fighter levels for the purpose of picking fighter-only feats.

Knight’s Code:

The Knight’s Code focuses on fair play, as a victory won honorably is worth far more than one won through deceit.

- A knight may not attack during the surprise round. Instead, you let your foe ready itself before you attack.
- A knight must not use lethal damage against a helpless foe. However, you may deal non-lethal damage to such targets.
- A knight is not allowed to use poisons.
- A knight must not lie, unless not lying would cause them to break a previous part of their code.
- A knight must obey legitimate authority. If you are sworn to a particular affiliation, you must obey the directives of the affiliation as well.

If you break any part of this code, you lose one use of your knight’s challenge ability for the day. If you are out of uses of knight’s challenge, you take a cumulative -2 penalty on Will saves and attack rolls for the rest of the day each time further you break the knight’s code.

Shield Block: As the original knight, scaling as shown on the table.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd level and every 4 levels thereafter, take a fighter bonus feat. You must meet all the prerequisites for the feat.

Improved Bulwark of Defense (Ex): Starting at 13th level, all squares you threaten are automatically treated as difficult terrain by your enemies, whether or not they start in your threatened area.

Impetuous Endurance (Ex): Starting at 17th level, when you make a saving throw, roll twice and take the better result. You no longer automatically fail saving throws on a roll of 1.

Feat: Extra Challenge (General)
Benefit: You gain an extra three uses of your Knight's Challenge ability.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. It's effects stack.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-07, 04:02 PM
This version of the Knight seems directly stronger than the standard WoTC version. Your change to Impetuous Endurance is particularly interesting.

I also like that you've expanded the set of class skills. Even when a class has 2+int for skill points, having just 8 skills is annoying. I'm not sure that you absolutely need 4+int skill points for your version of the knight but since it isn't a caster this is reasonable.

You may want to bold "Knight’s Code:"

In general, I'm a little uncomfortable about the use of RP to balance mechanics (*cough* paladin). It might make sense to have different orders of knights have different codes. (For example, in some cultures poison on a blade might not be considered dishonorable.)

Regarding the bonus feats and fighter level counting- this is yet another thing to make the fighter be not worth taking but this is already such a problem that it isn't a big deal. Maybe make some knight specific feats that can be taken as bonus feats ? Possibly a feat that increases your number of knight's challenges daily? A feat that added 3 to your total number and could be taken multiple times would probably be balanced.

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 05:41 PM
This version of the Knight seems directly stronger than the standard WoTC version. Your change to Impetuous Endurance is particularly interesting.

It is. This is intentional. Tier 3-4 is where I aim and their Knight is strictly Tier 5.

I also like that you've expanded the set of class skills. Even when a class has 2+int for skill points, having just 8 skills is annoying. I'm not sure that you absolutely need 4+int skill points for your version of the knight but since it isn't a caster this is reasonable.
Ok.

You may want to bold "Knight’s Code:"
Done.

In general, I'm a little uncomfortable about the use of RP to balance mechanics (*cough* paladin). It might make sense to have different orders of knights have different codes. (For example, in some cultures poison on a blade might not be considered dishonorable.)

All breaking your code does is stomp Knight's Challenge/day into the dust. A knight can break their code. You'll run out of Knight's Challenge really fast and are walking a grey line, but otherwise you're fine, unless you repeatedly do this. The poison thing, admittedly, is debatable, but the Big 2 in front are mechanical.

Regarding the bonus feats and fighter level counting- this is yet another thing to make the fighter be not worth taking but this is already such a problem that it isn't a big deal. Maybe make some knight specific feats that can be taken as bonus feats ? Possibly a feat that increases your number of knight's challenges daily? A feat that added 3 to your total number and could be taken multiple times would probably be balanced.

It is fighter but better, but only if you like this playstyle. If you don't want to be a non-magical battlefield controller and a tank, this is the wrong class. The feat is a good idea. I'll add one like that.