PDA

View Full Version : Best Idea That a DM hasn't shot down.

The Pressman
2010-08-09, 10:25 PM
The other thread got me thinking. So what is the best thing that you've ever been able to get away with?

I talked to the DM about having an octopus animal companion, and having it make hide checks every few minutes to avoid being seen by the party. They won't know about it in the first place, not even the players. I'm waiting for the moment when I can say "Octopus! Attack!" and watching the confused looks on the other's faces.

Yukitsu
2010-08-09, 10:32 PM
The best thing my DM ever let me get away with was tying a rope attached to a rock and my wrist, where the rock weighed more than me, and yet could be easily thrown by me over vast distances to travel quickly. I was pretty quickly equated to Gork. Or was it Mork? Anyway, my speed of travel got out of hand pretty quickly once I qualified for horizon shot.

Lycan 01
2010-08-09, 11:06 PM
I tried to seduce a Succubus out of desperation and stupidity.

It should be noted that me and the other two players, my GF and her roommate, where all level 1. And the DM was forcing us to fight a Level 2 Solo Succubus. I figured the annoying uber-DMPC with us would either save the day, or we were all gonna die to a very unfair TPK. Either way, not much I can do to help. So, I thought about what my Half-Orc Bard named Trog would do in this situation. So I asked if I could try to seduce her, in hopes it would at least distract her and let my GF wail on her. The DM told me to roll either Bluff or Diplomacy, whichever was higher. He was greatly amused, because I was basically giving him a free shot. Trog gropes her and suggests they do something more fun than fighting - I rolled a 26. Bemused, but still having that "you're soooo dead" aire about him, the DM tells me she gets a Will save, with plenty of bonuses. I sigh, knowing I'm about to get destroyed. He rolls behind the screen... and screams.

Nat 1.

Trog beat the BBEG of that scenario on his first turn by copping a feel. :smallbiggrin:

I never got the XP for it, though. :smallannoyed: The DM didn't think I earned it properly, since it was a lucky roll and not my own awesomeness. But, Trog has a permanent +2 bonus to all charisma checks involving female NPCs, at least. :smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2010-08-09, 11:12 PM
Can't go into details because people that don't need to know read these forums, but I've got some say in how parts of one of my character's stuff is gonna go, and it is going to be delightful when it happens.

W3bDragon
2010-08-09, 11:45 PM
This was a long time ago. I was playing a LN cleric with many LE clerics senior to me in our church. The highest one, Cardinal something or the other (LE), confided in my character about a problem he's having with his daughter. It turns out she's seeing this "heathen penniless no-good artist" who's seduced her into his heathen artsy ways.

He's tried just about everything to get her to stop seeing him, but it ain't working. He insinuates that if this artist would suddenly, umm, disappear, especially if the Cardinal couldn't be blamed for it, then my character's upward mobility in the church would be assured.

My character doesn't waste time and about 15 minutes later, I was hiding in an alleyway leading to the Art Square. There he was. My target. He was a mime. He would pick a pose and strike each one for several minutes at a time, then switch to another.

Solution: I wait until I have him lined up properly, then wait for him to strike a pose. I cast Hold Person on him. Then I cast Blindess and Fear in quick succession on the horse I had lined up with the mime. The horse bolts forward charging blindly. People scattered out of the way, except our friend. Splat! A true mime to the very end.

Demons_eye
2010-08-09, 11:53 PM
I stole the door of a underground wizards guild and sold it back to them in combat, I made money that day.

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-09, 11:55 PM
This was a long time ago. I was playing a LN cleric with many LE clerics senior to me in our church. The highest one, Cardinal something or the other (LE), confided in my character about a problem he's having with his daughter. It turns out she's seeing this "heathen penniless no-good artist" who's seduced her into his heathen artsy ways.

He's tried just about everything to get her to stop seeing him, but it ain't working. He insinuates that if this artist would suddenly, umm, disappear, especially if the Cardinal couldn't be blamed for it, then my character's upward mobility in the church would be assured.

My character doesn't waste time and about 15 minutes later, I was hiding in an alleyway leading to the Art Square. There he was. My target. He was a mime. He would pick a pose and strike each one for several minutes at a time, then switch to another.

Solution: I wait until I have him lined up properly, then wait for him to strike a pose. I cast Hold Person on him. Then I cast Blindess and Fear in quick succession on the horse I had lined up with the mime. The horse bolts forward charging blindly. People scattered out of the way, except our friend. Splat! A true mime to the very end.

A moment of silence for him :D

Lhurgyof
2010-08-10, 02:00 AM
Hmmm... Probably when we were at the big encounter for our low-level party, on top of a tower with spiders climbing up...

I was Ankle Biter, the Gnomish cleric, and my quirks were daredevil and thrillseeker.

So, when all hope is lost, my gnome grabs an 8-foot pike and dive bombs a spider. I hit it, pike it to the ground, and am catapulted across the room. The DM thought it was so epic he awarded me my experience right when I impacted, giving me sufficient hit points to be at -9 HP. :D

Darkholme
2010-08-10, 02:00 AM
I'm presently running a monk in pathfinder. Based on the wording in the book, I got my unarmed attacks enchanted. The new book lets you use brass knuckles and keep your monk damage and they count as monk weapons, so it works for that anyways, so no real power difference even if we *DID* rule it in a way that contradicts the official ruling.

Where it's interesting isn't the +1 flaming I have on my unarmed attacks, but that I put ghost touch on them. I can hit ghosts, but even better, I can do combat maneuvers to them. Of course, now they can do them to me as well, but I'm built for combat maneuvers. One downside: he won't let me use it to count my amulet of natural armor or bracers of armor as ghost touch. :P

Wonton
2010-08-10, 02:15 AM
The best thing my DM ever let me get away with was tying a rope attached to a rock and my wrist, where the rock weighed more than me, and yet could be easily thrown by me over vast distances to travel quickly. I was pretty quickly equated to Gork. Or was it Mork? Anyway, my speed of travel got out of hand pretty quickly once I qualified for horizon shot.

What? Newton would like to have a word with you...

Cespenar
2010-08-10, 02:28 AM

That's some clever, Hitman style kill. Kudos.

Gunther
2010-08-10, 02:29 AM
I once played a warlock that could only be described as "Extremely lucky, but plays it off as skill". Stuff like rolling an epic reflex save when fighting another Warlock, etc, etc. He was Chaotic Good, but he had a smarmy attitude (With a fairly good goal of "Kicking the ass of every single crook in the city slums" to justify it with).

So, when we inevitably get ousted from the city we started in for unrelated events (The setting used City-States that were effectively self-sufficient and hundreds of kilometers away from one another, so being highway travelers was going to be a long, hard journey had we not got into time-and-space bending shenanigans), we hit the road for the nearest shelter we can find: An underground complex we discovered earlier in the campaign.

On the way there, a pair of Purple Worms shows up. The party begins to attack one of them, and my Warlock- intending to showboat- goes after the other one solo. So what does it do against the minor annoyance? It lunges forth, and eats him. Now, at this point in the game, my Warlock was fairly powerful- but he had an absolutely ridiculous "Ultimate attack". It was basically a Maximized Brimstone Cone that let him blow the everloving crap out of anything in a 30ft radius for about 144 points of damage. However, he could only use it three times a day, and that made him very careful about when he pulled the bazooka out.

Well, now is as good a time as any, right?

So all the party sees is the Purple Worm that ate their buddy/boomstick erupt in fire from the halfway point, the entire upper half of it vanishing as this extremely irritable-looking Warlock stands there. Now, for the next step, you'd normally need the creature intact.

But when I voiced my idea to the DM, he just smiled and said, "Oh hell yes."

So what happened next? My Warlock, standing atop the charred platform that was once the midsection of the Purple Worm, animates the monster's remains into a giant zombie. A giant, Purple Worm Zombie.

Which he then commands tackle the still living Purple Worm, and begin grappling it. By the end of the session, I had literally just beat a Purple Worm to death with another Purple Worm.

Morph Bark
2010-08-10, 03:48 AM
Taking the whole crew of a huge warship hostage two-by-two (not one-by-one) in a Star Wars d20 game and getting their names.

...well, the names of the first five or so anyway. Once we were finished and I said I would round up the whole crew, the GM looked at me with wide eyes and asked if I was gonna ask them all their names.

"No, I am just going to inquire their occupation and skill sets and throw them out the air lock if they are useless. Nobles and officers will be taken hostage for ransom, the rest will be paid to join our cause."

Sadly I had to leave the area before the next game. :smallfrown:

Other than that? Nothing really because I usually am the DM.

TechnOkami
2010-08-10, 03:56 AM
Being able to add my natural weapon damage (claw) with unarmed strikes.

Octopus Jack
2010-08-10, 04:12 AM
I have two I can't choose between:

1) The BBEG (an evil wizard) was standing ontop of a tower which was about to be hit by a huge arcane energy thingy which would turn him into a being of demigod like power. While other characters were dealing with his minions/trying to stop the blast from happening my Dragonfire adept, who was invisible, flew up to the top of the tower and flew off the top of the tower while grappling the BBEG and due to enlarge person and bulls strength being cast on my character it was extreamly unlikely that he would break the grapple. We watched the blast of magic hit the tower from a nice distance (it was so romantic, big magical explosion, evil wizard in my arms) and I think when he saw that the BBEG died inside, he actually died a few moments later when I landed and the party rogue gutted him.

2) My archivist had taken a library by force and used various spells and items to fortify it (such as a bead of force blocking off the entrance). The Party members had gotten onto the roof and were shooting crossbows at the angry mob that had gathered, my character's contribution was to summon 1d3 fiendish sharks into the crowd while there was no water in sight :smallbiggrin:

Rainbownaga
2010-08-10, 04:26 AM

I thought about that too, but it theoretically works (given insane strength characters) because when you throw the boulder you're bracing against the ground so your half of the momentum goes into the planet.

I imagine the whiplash as the rope gets taut would be quite unpleasant, however.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-10, 06:56 AM
I thought about that too, but it theoretically works (given insane strength characters) because when you throw the boulder you're bracing against the ground so your half of the momentum goes into the planet.

I imagine the whiplash as the rope gets taut would be quite unpleasant, however.

Yeah, I don't think that it breaks the laws of physics, assuming that a character has sufficient strength, but most people would just rip off a limb trying it.

panaikhan
2010-08-10, 07:33 AM
I once had a Drow character dual-wielding hand crossbows thanks to handy non-magical devices (designed by the character) hanging from their belt as 'holsters' that cocked and reloaded the crossbows without provoking AoO.

I had TWF and Quick-Draw (I think it's called) as feats, enabling me to get a shot off with each crossbow and move (putting the crossbows 'away' as part of the move action) every round.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 08:03 AM
I'm presently running a monk in pathfinder. Based on the wording in the book, I got my unarmed attacks enchanted. The new book lets you use brass knuckles and keep your monk damage and they count as monk weapons, so it works for that anyways, so no real power difference even if we *DID* rule it in a way that contradicts the official ruling.

Where it's interesting isn't the +1 flaming I have on my unarmed attacks, but that I put ghost touch on them. I can hit ghosts, but even better, I can do combat maneuvers to them. Of course, now they can do them to me as well, but I'm built for combat maneuvers. One downside: he won't let me use it to count my amulet of natural armor or bracers of armor as ghost touch. :P

Most ethereal creatures don't have a str score and as such automatically lose str-checks.
It's how our enlightened fist got to grapple 2 ethereal madness demons and crush them. After casting the spell that gives ghost touch.Sure, it's -20 to the check to grapple with 1 hand. -20 vs you lose. He won. It was fun.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-10, 10:35 AM

Sounds a bit like Tao Pai Pai, except he'd throw it, then use an epic jump score to land on the airborne log or pillar.
You'd think with how weird it was, there'd be more pictures of him doing that on Google
http://planetrenders.net/renders/albums/userpics/251150/normal_render%20tou%20pai%20pai.png

Manga Maniac
2010-08-10, 11:19 AM
Anyone remember that time in Tomb of Horrors when they had to get Gary Gygax himself to judge if players were allowed to put the crown and the wrong side of the sceptre on the lich Acererak which turned him to dust immediately?

I think that counts.

WarKitty
2010-08-10, 11:26 AM
So we'd been trying to defeat a fire elemental, and the bard had the bright idea of prestidigitating one of our water skins over it and dumping. The DM said ok.

So next time...we know in advance we're going to be facing a demon. The cleric takes all the silver we have and uses it to prepare holy water. We calculate how much holy water the bard can prestidigitate. The demon appears and is promptly greeted with several gallons of holy water to the head.

Coplantor
2010-08-10, 11:45 AM
In a low magic grim and gritty medieval setting, my DM allowed me to play a transformer with rocket punches.

Yukitsu
2010-08-10, 11:55 AM

I'm powering my anti-gravity boots with the power generated by his spinning corpse. :smalltongue: http://dresdencodak.com/2010/06/10/dark-science-02/

hotel_papa
2010-08-10, 11:57 AM
One of my players in an Eberron game offered an action point, a natural 20 on a spellcraft check and a higher spell slot to keep speeding lightning rail car from falling apart after an explosion with an Evard's Black Tentacles spell from her Warmage.

It was just too cool to deny.

I married that woman.

TheThan
2010-08-10, 04:30 PM
We defeated a big bad by having the enlarged shape changed druid sit on his chest, while the rest of us kicked him to death.

See all of our spells were being “countered” by this guy, and every time our druid (tank) would attack, he’d get “parried”, and cut up, which would result in huge penalties to his all of his next attacks until he got healed. So naturally instead of figuring (metagameing) out how to defeat the boss (a lizardfolk general), we did the most straight forward and simple tactic we could think of. Tackle him and beat him up.

So it turns out this Big bad had “charges” he could spend to counter spells, parry attacks and boost his attacks, we were supposed to figure this out and use our spells and stuff to burn through his charges so we could fight him. we only learned that later after the game session.

Shademan
2010-08-11, 04:12 AM
One of my players in an Eberron game offered an action point, a natural 20 on a spellcraft check and a higher spell slot to keep speeding lightning rail car from falling apart after an explosion with an Evard's Black Tentacles spell from her Warmage.

I married that woman.

good choise

Cespenar
2010-08-11, 10:38 AM
In a low magic grim and gritty medieval setting, my DM allowed me to play a transformer with rocket punches.

Warforged Druid/Kensai?

AslanCross
2010-08-11, 10:46 AM
When the PCs in my campaign pulled the paralyzed Dire lion from the Ghostlord's lair in Red Hand of Doom and nursed it back to health as a mount, I could not refuse. It was too awesome, and since I'd always wanted a dire lion mount, I let them have it.

Too bad they weren't really careful in keeping it alive. :smallsigh: (Also, unpetrifying the Stone Wyvern's stone wyvern. Too bad none of them could actually fly it properly in combat. :P )

Coplantor
2010-08-11, 10:49 AM
Warforged Druid/Kensai?

Half doppleganger warforged that was alloed to use natural attacks as thrown weapons with bloodstorm blade. :smallbiggrin:

Milskidasith
2010-08-11, 10:56 AM

I married that woman.

How did black tentacles explode to blow up the railway?

Peregrine
2010-08-11, 11:03 AM
This thread is turning up some epic stories already. I wish I had one to contribute, but I can't think of anything appropriate from my time as a player -- and the only one I can think of off the top of my head from DMing, was when I bent the attack of opportunity rules to let the monk take a flying kick at an enemy who was jumping from the ship that was the scene of the fight.

By the end of the session, I had literally just beat a Purple Worm to death with another Purple Worm.

That is so awesome that I -- well, I can't decide between showing it to the warlock player in my current game, and making sure he never ever sees it. :smalltongue: Because he really doesn't need any encouragement.

We watched the blast of magic hit the tower from a nice distance (it was so romantic, big magical explosion, evil wizard in my arms) and I think when he saw that the BBEG died inside, he actually died a few moments later when I landed and the party rogue gutted him.

And that's how you do it: crush their dreams a few moments before crushing their lives.

(...I think my wife's right. DMing is shifting my alignment to Lawful Evil.)

I married that woman.

Excellent choice. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:

The grammar's a bit unclear, but I think the player used black tentacles to hold the train together, after it exploded. In a higher spell slot and with an action point and a high Spellcraft check.

Ruinix
2010-08-11, 12:15 PM
uuff lets see.

on 7º sea game.

-my char, pirate vesten, fighter type with 2 handed axe.

half of my party was enganged in fight with some city guards ON our party ship wich was anchored at this port. i and a friend was doing some blackmarket arrangements, so when we come back to the ship we saw the fight from long distance. he charge straight. i climb to the roof of some houses and deposits near the port, and on given time i jump down to the ship's deck tearing the sails of the next ship.

total awesome moment.

on dragonlance.

my char, a kender ^^

i stole the spell book of the party wizard ^^, she did not realize until she had to cast a spell in middle of combat XDDD

my kender just was keeping for her, who know what kind of thief are around there ?!

MERP

i had a ""wizard"", we use rolemaster rules and i HAD to retain to show up any kind of real magic, i had to rol and ""fluf"" the stuff.

anyway. an elf warrior of the party die, and we had some kind of bound or something, and i give him a ice cofin (yeah i rob the idea from saint seya XD) and send his body to the sea and to valinor ^^

Zaydos
2010-08-11, 12:48 PM
I've had a player who purposefully let himself get swallowed by a beholder Hive Mother so that he could use the Disintegrate power of his Beholder Crown while inside her stomach; gave him an automatic hit and either an auto crit or a big penalty to the target's save I forget which.

In another game they were playing pirates and this warblade they had allowed into their crew, had been specified to have gigantism. He had started a mutiny and most of their crew turned against them. What did the player do? He took his pistol and called shot the guy in the head. :smallsmile:

As a player my only recent experience was a 4e Doctor Who based campaign (don't ask, I still don't understand it) and the most awesome thing there would probably be when we arrived at the final dungeon and the Master's TARDIS was sitting there in the form of a longsword. I was a swordmage. I hacked the TARDIS so that I could move it and used my swordmage abilities to bond with it. Somehow the DM was surprised that one of the players would try this. I did get to wail on the Master with his own TARDIS :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2010-08-11, 12:48 PM
The sunken flying city:

Couple of players got ahold of some immovable rods and a auto-shovel, soon after they decided that they would attempt to get into the flying city the spotted earlier in the campaign. So they go looking for it. After they find it they use immovable rods as a ladder to climb up into the sky to get onto the city.

Once there they discovered that the city is blocked by some kind of force field they couldn’t penetrate. So they did what any intrepid adventurers would, they used the rods to climb underneath the city and then used the auto-shovel to dig their way in from underneath.

However what they didn’t know, is that this city lands in the ocean at night, and rises into the sky in the morning. So after some adventuring in the city, they are forced to make their escape. Once away, they watched as the city landed in the ocean and flooded, as they forgot to plug the hole they made upon their entrance.

Mountain surfing:
These same two characters, after the event with the flooded city, had a run in with a dragon or something, don’t quite remember. But it resulted in a rather large explosion and the adventurers running for their lives. anyway not being able to out run the massive rockslide that was rushing towards them, they did the only sensible thing a person would do. They pulled out their collapsible boat and road it down the mountain, surfing on top of it as they went.

Blargen
Think I told this story before.

The party (now grown from 2 to like 6), had a random encounter with a grey render. Well there’s a small chance that a grey render will befriend and become attached to a creature. Well thanks to some wonderfully high handle animal checks, the party rogue managed to befriend this guy. So we named him blargen. Soon later we had a brilliant idea, we taught blargen to throw boulders. We even taught him to aim at the party warrior’s (drow) dancing lights spells (he was a pretty good shot too if memory serves). Next we got a large wagon and had it filled with boulders from the local quarry, and taught blargen to tow it behind him like a rickshaw. So effectively we had a laser guided bolder thrower. oh yeah, and the rogue rode on the thing as well.

true_shinken
2010-08-11, 01:10 PM
Once, my friend's Lurk one-shoted a monster 9 challenge ratings above our level because he wasn't immune to ability damage.
It was an accident.

Lycan 01
2010-08-11, 02:15 PM
Dark Heresy

"Deus Ex Machina"

Situation: Our Tech-Priest had been captured by a Genestealer cult. He was being led, under cover of darkness, to execution by a crowd of 30+ Genestealer Hybrids.

Idea: I wanted to drive the police van I'd hijacked into the crowd. My character was a cowardly Adept, but he felt like he stood a chance behind a few tons of vehicular homicide. He would drive full speed at the crowd, with his headlights off. At the last second he would turn them on, so he could see and avoid the Cogboy.

Ruling: The GM couldn't deny the awesome. He only requested I make a Drive check, to make sure I succeeded.

Result: One awesome Drive roll later, I'm plowing through the crowd of screaming baddies while listening to the Warthog theme from Red vs. Blue - space polka, essentially. A few U-turns and some viscious melee from the Techpriest later, and the whole crowd was dead.

I would later run over a Genestealer, then shoot in the face with a plasma pistol when it tried to hang on to the hood.

We eventually named the van the Deus Ex Machina. We had to abandon it on a mountainside eventually. Later on, a new character stumbled upon it. He was shocked to see a crowd of twisted and broken bodies scattered around the gore-splattered vehicle. :smalleek:

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-11, 03:03 PM
http://www.papadeltabravo.com/pics/mc_psp_morbo.jpg
PHYSICS DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!

DaragosKitsune
2010-08-11, 04:12 PM
I used a dagger that could do nothing useful, except transfer souls between bodies, to force an enemy's soul back into her comatose body. It turns out that she was an enslaved fire creature, and doing this caused most of the room to explode, killing the only PC who hadn't been paying enough attention to realize he was in the blast radius.

EnnPeeCee
2010-08-11, 07:03 PM
I've got a couple pretty good ones.

Our party was trying to assassinate some noble guy (I forget the situation). If I remember correct, the noble guy and a large group of guards were chasing us out of the castle after a failed attempt. We swam across the moat, with the group following right behind. When Mr Noble jumped in, I cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter on him and watched as he sank to the bottom, drowning as he was forced to laugh. He ended up getting saved, but it diverted the attention away from us long enough to escape.

At the top of a tower, we came face to face with a wizard that polymorphed into a tarrasque. My rogue, who was fairy useless in combat due to how he was built, decided to try something crazy. Tumbling beneath the tarrasque, I activated my Daern's Instant Fortress. The DM rolled a random direction that the tarrasque was launched. We watched as the Mr T was launched out of a large plated glass window, taking our ranger that it had swallowed a turn before with it. The ranger ended up escaping halfway through the fall, and being a raptoran, flew back up. The fall didn't kill the tarrasque, but it couldn't fit through the tower doors. An hour later, a very tired wizard reappeared on the floor we were waiting on, which we promptly ganked.

Yukitsu
2010-08-11, 07:17 PM
http://www.papadeltabravo.com/pics/mc_psp_morbo.jpg
PHYSICS DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!

I dunno. If a rock that you are tied to has kinetic energy 500K joules, and you weigh little enough that you will be dragged along by the rock, and you can impart 500K joules on the thrown rock, then... :smallwink:

Of course, the actual hard part is not getting your arm torn off. :smalltongue: That's why you use ironguard and a steel cable for a rope.

Ajadea
2010-08-11, 07:54 PM
I've told this one before, but I don't remember where.

So here I am, a 6th level sorcerer with 6 strength. It's a long, long, long story, but the point is, around level 4, I managed to piss off the BBEG (basically an LE Xykon, with a focus on crafting golems and a bunch of vampire spawn and vampire minions, and he was a previous PC to boot) by erm...breaking his airship and kinda killing one of his three second-in-commands. Namely, his little brother, who had been a heal-bot DMPC and was now a cleric 6/sorcerer 4/mystic theurge 8. Long story.

Now our previous party (and the DMPC) had become very close, and also had taken over a continent and were dealing with a second one. Killing the previous DMPC meant that I had 3 epic-level undead things coming after me, personally, in an airship capable of blowing up castles in one hit. Yeah...

Now, we had a dinky little airship that could hold the three of us (us being the new, good, party), so we took off and ran away, chased by the BBEG. Then they left. A quick theft and UMD check later, and I was scrying on one of the minions of the BBEG, and we found out that they were going to find and obtain the Blue Dragon Orb. Not good, hmm?

We (being reckless and over-confident from having successfuly killed one of the most powerful evil being in the Material plane (short of dragons)), went AFTER the BBEG (is something wrong with this picture?), and nearly died. Again. This didn't deter us, so we just delayed a bit and followed them to where they had landed their airship.

I (invisible and levitating) and the rogue went to scout out the ship. The fighter (who owned the airship) stayed behind. The result? Empty. Utterly empty. Ok, cool. We find a big shiny purple-y glowing crystal in the base of the ship. The rogue tries to steal it and is met with a 'No, just...no.' from the DM.

Me: Ok, is it magical? If so, what does it do? (Knowledge (arcana)) (natural 20 on one of my best skills (I know all this, my character doesn't))
DM: It controls the ship. The ship will follow the vocal command of whoever it is attuned to.
Me: Ok. How does this 'attuning' work? (I take 20 on Know (arcana), because I've got a really good idea)
DM: It normally can be attuned only once, but the attunement can be overridden by a large enough concentration of arcane energies.
Me: Ok. I place both hands on the crystal and blow ALL my spell slots out into the crystal. And I make a Spellcraft check to amplify the magic and prevent it from disappating or whatever. *Roll* Natural 20. Again. O_o. I also have all my spell slots except for 2 second-level slots.
Rogue: I take my wands (which I, the sorcerer had made) and at the same time empty all the charges into the crystal (activates the wands, which have about 160 charges all together)
DM: Um...er...um...(checks notes)...the airship takes off.

Now it's my ship! I blew up the BBEG with his own ship, or at least tried to. Forgot about the phylactery, but still...I had an airship!

hotel_papa
2010-08-11, 08:40 PM

Sorry, my post was confusing. A saboteur set an explosive charge that blew a train car in half. She held the separate parts of the speeding train car with a very well placed Evard's.

onthetown
2010-08-11, 08:49 PM
As a Ranger, I got Wild Shape.

The only restriction was that I could only take the shape of one animal that I chose at the beginning (an amur leopard -- which I found fitting, since my character was from the eastern realms of Faerun) because it was a gift from her goddess. The ability to take the shape of her soul animal. I was a good girl and didn't abuse it, and now my DM is open to more fun ideas that normally require class restrictions (like my lawful neutral bard, but that's more of a personality thing and it doesn't have any impact on the campaign).

I know it's not huge, and I've gotten away with better, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Jack Zander
2010-08-12, 07:55 AM
Our group had an awesome plan that our DM let work, just because of how funny it was.

I was playing a warforged fighter, Graymayre was playing a gnome artificer. We had to take out a bandit camp for some quest or something. Graymayre casts an illusion spell on me to make me look like a perfectly normal human.
He continues to concentrate on the spell while I run into the middle of the camp, potion in hand. When I get in sight of everyone, I drink the Enlarge Person potion and make it look like I'm grabbing my face and ripping a mask off of me, while my other hand grabs and pulls flesh from my chest. Graymayre concentrates on the illusion to rip flesh off of where I pull plus have it rip off like the Hulk's clothing as I enlarge, until I look like just a large sized warforged.

As this is happening I let out a roar and say, "I am the Fleshwearer!" *Points to bandit leader* "You will be my new skin!"

At least half of the bandits fled in terror, and those who were left had a morale penalty to everything. We easily mopped up afterward.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-12, 08:12 AM
The Fleshwearer just became an NPC in my campaign. Thanks Jack. :smallbiggrin:

sdream
2010-08-12, 08:56 AM
We had earlier agreed that transmute rock to mud and soften earth and stone should not have trouble with stones that someone happened to carve flat (basically, allow them to work with shaped and dressed stone structures).

The party was trying to get into a small fortified castle, of a standard elven construction (one of a line of forts with the same plan) that had been taken over by orcs.

The Orcs were fortifying it, and they had a caster sniping at the party when they tried to break in.

My fighter brother's cohort is an elf wizard with high int and ranks in Knowledge architecture and engineering. My other brother is a druid. Between the cohorts knowledge of elven engineering and our knowledge of the layout of the forts, and the expending of several level 5 transmute rock to mud spells, they caused the majority of the structure to collapse, making the assault much easier.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 09:52 AM
The system was a 7th sea campaign that had gone on for years. I played a glamor mage that doubled as a knight in the Rose and Cross. Given the long campaign, our party was on the very high end of the power spectrum. I had all sorts of gear, including a bit of drachen armor and a really cool hat. Unfortunately, our failure to stop continued use of magic had resulted in pretty heavy veil damage.

Long story short, something nasty got through. Something best described as a demigod. Now, as a bit of backstory, we had long ago uncovered a massive artifact stash, including a couple devices that were essentially laser cannons. Our DM, too tired to read the actual rules, rolled a d100 for the charges on each. Being good little munchkins, we had stashed these away to be forgotten and unused, with the exception of that one pirate fleet. Our one use of them allowed us to realize they had an overheating roll, but nobody knew what actually happened when it was failed.

So, we're fighting a demigod of horrible evilness in his seat of power, and he's kicking our butts. One of us has been poisoned and injured terribly, and completely incapacitated. Another one is almost down. The army of assassins is approaching, and the demigod is escaping into a very steep shaft. I scream for the other laser cannon to our die kreuzritter member, and he throws it to me, and I dive after him. The shaft goes vertical, and firing laser cannons with both hands, I leap after the demigod into the volcano's mouth.

I then fail the overheat roll. We look up the rules, and determine that damage is based on the amount of charges left. We roll every one of the d10s all of us own. Several times. I start busting out every glamor trick I know. The DM, as one a time deal, allows other players to feed me glamor die to power the magic. I burn it all, and still, it comes to within a single flesh wound of permanent death. The blast destroyed the entire civilization, but my comrades managed to recover my charred and smoking body.

And that is the story of how I lost my really cool hat.

Peregrine
2010-08-12, 10:29 AM

Are you trying to get sigged? Awesome story. :smallcool:

Mr.Smashy
2010-08-12, 10:54 AM
Playing a campaign around 12th level as a Halfling Cleric of Yondalla, I managed to bluff a group of Minators into believing, Ala "These are not the droids you are looking for", that we were in fact, not the adventurers that they were sent to track down and kill, and we would be glad to follow them around and help them. The DM said, okay, roll your bluff...Nat 20, with max ranks. Long story short, we followed them around on a wild goose chase for the better part of the session before the rogue started to make them "disappear." The DM was pissed, and everyone laughed.
__________________________________________________ ______________

On a seperate campaign, my warforged fighter, who was of a smaller and stockier nature (basically a warforged Dwarf) Pulled a Bruneor Battlehammer. I walked around constantly with a powder keg on my back, and two oils of repair in my mouth. The downside was that i couldnt talk, the upside was that I didnt have to worry too much about the powder keg exploding and killing me.
One day, we were fighting a Frost Giant of dismal intelligence, and He managed to grapple me through some great rolling. What does the wizard do?
Shoots a fireball into my back, crippling the giants hand i was in, and damn near killing me. I munched on some vials, and proceeded to wipe the floor with him, literally dragging him over to a crevasse, scalping him, and kicking him over.

I made a beard and a wig from the hair I scalped from the Giant. It was awesome just to picture a warforged dwarf with white hair and a braided white beard.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 11:00 AM
Are you trying to get sigged? Awesome story. :smallcool:

Heh, not in particular, but thanks. 7th Sea tends to lend itself to good stories, for some reason.

Jack Zander
2010-08-12, 02:52 PM
The Fleshwearer just became an NPC in my campaign. Thanks Jack. :smallbiggrin:

Glad to hear the fame of the Fleshwearer live on in other campaigns.

FlamingKobold
2010-08-12, 03:40 PM
I was DMing an 8 month long burglary campaign. The players were extremely bright individuals who created a main plan with at least 2 back-up plans for each part that could go wrong (even things as simple as simple as "distract the guard with cake" had contingencies). It was an E6 campaign that started at level one and when they finally got the macguffin, they were level 6+37. Their Final, successful plan included, but was not limited to (It was a while ago and it took them 6 months to perfect) over 400 goblin slaves, the seduction of the King, 7 assassinations, three days, a raging barbarian, an enchanted lawn gnome, 2 demons, some random commoner's soul (we called him fred), a piece of cake, an illusionist, a ninja, 15 shuriken, >1000 feet of rope and the inadvertent help of a neighboring kingdom's royal army. It was epic.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-12, 04:13 PM
FlamingKobold, you have to spend like, 6 pages explaining ALL of that plan and everything we possibly could need to know putting it in context. PLEEEAASSEEE!!

rokar4life
2010-08-12, 05:02 PM
Underarm grenade launcher(yes, in a fantasy, non-ebberon setting)

It was basically a tube with a rigged up flint and steel attached to a mechanism strapped to the characters hand that would ignite the powder in the ammunition and fire an explosive charge. Probably allowed because on a nat 1 it would explode and take my arm with it.

AslanCross
2010-08-12, 05:56 PM
Our group had an awesome plan that our DM let work, just because of how funny it was.

I was playing a warforged fighter, Graymayre was playing a gnome artificer. We had to take out a bandit camp for some quest or something. Graymayre casts an illusion spell on me to make me look like a perfectly normal human.
He continues to concentrate on the spell while I run into the middle of the camp, potion in hand. When I get in sight of everyone, I drink the Enlarge Person potion and make it look like I'm grabbing my face and ripping a mask off of me, while my other hand grabs and pulls flesh from my chest. Graymayre concentrates on the illusion to rip flesh off of where I pull plus have it rip off like the Hulk's clothing as I enlarge, until I look like just a large sized warforged.

As this is happening I let out a roar and say, "I am the Fleshwearer!" *Points to bandit leader* "You will be my new skin!"

At least half of the bandits fled in terror, and those who were left had a morale penalty to everything. We easily mopped up afterward.

Oh wow. That's one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-12, 06:54 PM
This wasn't me, but two members of the party I'm in (We're all 13th level). It involves our wizard, and our Paladin/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator. We're playing the Savage Tides Adventure Path right now, and we're in Golismorga. There are 4 of us (with 2 NPCs) Our DM decides to throw a purple worm at us. I (the cleric) used a scroll of Sanctuary, Mass but forgot to mention in the next round IN CHARACTER to not attack unless you are attacked or the spell is wasted (if it failed its save that is). Purple worm rises from the earth, wizard uses Hold Monster on it. PW fails its will save (it had actually failed its save against my spell but oh well). PW is paralyzed.

Our Paladin turns to the DM and says "It's considered helpless right?"
DM says "Yes I would say that it is"
Paladin: "I coup de grace it."
DM sighs and says "go ahead and try" while looking up the rules for it.

End result: Paladin rolls pretty crappy on damage, so the coup de grace DC is 38. DM rolls a 1 on its save. He was confident he would make it because it had a +32 on fortitude saves. Not much beats one-shotting a creature with a 50-something strength and 700+ hp.

A patrol comes by a few minutes later, sees the dead worm and calls for reinforcements and raises the worm as an undead minion. Which I deftly destroyed with one turn attempt. :)

FlamingKobold
2010-08-12, 10:40 PM
FlamingKobold, you have to spend like, 6 pages explaining ALL of that plan and everything we possibly could need to know putting it in context. PLEEEAASSEEE!!

That would take a long time, and I'm sure I've forgotten some things. Here are a few of the awesome things:

Each of the 7 assassinations was done by the ninja, who used 14 of the 15 shurikens and hit each of the 7 marks in the head twice.

The cake was a lie, created by the illusionist to distract the guards for the 1 round it took the ninja to kill the person they were guarding.

The commoner's soul was sacrificed to summon the demons: 2 succubi, who then seduced the king.

Grom, the ranger/barbarian who took goblins as his favored enemy every time, lead a nearby kingdom's army in a staged battle against Grom's own slaves.

And the 1000 feet of rope were for the ones who actually pulled off the heist: Smalls, the halfling halfling that was the most halfling halfling the halfling community had ever seen and his friend, the sentient lawn gnome with an intelligence in the upper 20s.

You can obviously see how all of those parts worked together to steal the macguffin. Incidentally, this was an E6 campaign with the characters ending at level 6 + 37.

holywhippet
2010-08-12, 10:44 PM
In a Call of Cthulu game I was in, another character had previously had some kind of drug induced hallucination (well sort of, being Cthulu he was both "there" and here at the same time). During the vision he'd seen some kind of ancient tablets (the hallucination saw him viewing things in the distant past mostly). Later we managed to get hold of some of the stuff he'd been tripping on, so we give him a dose and let him take another "spirit journey".

When his vision takes him to the tablets he is dimly aware that "something" hostile is closing in on him. So the DM asks him what he's going to do. The obvious solution would be to run or try to snap out of it. Instead the player declares he's going to grab the tablets. This shocks everyone including the DM, but after some good rolls he manages to acquire them all (he grabbed one directly then swept the rest into his arms IIRC). The rest of us, watching his body, literally see the tablets appear out of nowhere. He snaps out just as the monster attacks leaving him with a bit of damage.

Unfortunately they weren't much use - the language the tablets were written on wasn't what we'd guessed it might be and was too ancient to translate.

hewhosaysfish
2010-08-13, 08:49 AM
That would take a long time, and I'm sure I've forgotten some things. Here are a few of the awesome things:

*awesome things*

You can obviously see how all of those parts worked together to steal the macguffin. Incidentally, this was an E6 campaign with the characters ending at level 6 + 37.

Yes, but what was the wooden alpaca filled with mashed potato for?

Gahrer
2010-08-13, 09:07 AM
Long post.

My players had recently arrived to the kinda large town of Allrom and decided to do some robbing (being evil and thiefs). First they dressed themselves up in some jewelry they had looted eralier and not gotten around to sell. Now looking like wealthy people without guards they went into the more shaggy parts of town. Naturally brigands attacks them. They slaughter the brigands but is kinda dissapointed that the poor brigands didn't provide that much loot.

The assassin decides to rob a store. While the party hides nearby he sneaks in and starts looting. When he is almost finished a group of normal thugs breaks in to the store but manages to wake the owner (really bad move silently rolls). The assassin casts invisibility on himself and hides in a corner. The owner beats the thugs senseless and calls for the guards. The guards doesn't find the loot but does not belive the frightened thugs story about another thief totally unrelated to them that was there just a minute ago but kinda dissapered.

The next day the thugs are sceduled for hanging. The party decides to free them so they can keep blaming their crimes on someone else.
A large crowd is gathered to watch the hanging. The sorcerer casts a fireball and makes it detonate 20 meters or so above the crowd. Through the fire a dragon-illusion emerges (complete with sound from ghost sound). I roll two will saves for the crowd (2 and 4) and for the guards. Everyone runs away in terror except for one guard who rolled a 20 and vainly shouts after the crowd and his collegues that the dragon isn't real. The assassin kills him with a single shot from his crossbow (snipers eye + snipers shot = death attack at 200 feet) and the barbarian uses his bow to shot off the ropes. The thugs escape and the PC:s continue their crime spree.

DeafnotDumb
2010-08-13, 11:08 AM
I was DMing a solo game of Nobilis. For those that don't know it, it's a game where the characters have power over abstract concepts - in this case, Dreams.

Problem: The Duke of Dreams has to duel fallen angels in order to get the moon's heart. They say that either he can set the contest and they set the location, or they set the contest and he the location. Either way, it is clear that the demons will utterly imbalance the contest so they can win.

Solution:

Duke of Dreams: "You can set the contest."

Fallen Angels: "Very well. Where shall the contest be?"

DoD: "In my dreams."

Fallen Angels: :smallfurious::smallmad::smallfrown:

Second Problem: Due to not reading the small print of the contract of the duel, the Duke of Dreams has to face the most powerful demon readily available: A Marquis of Hate who simply destroys the protective dome over the Duke's dream city and is ready to destroy it all.

Solution: After a few rounds of trading blows and losing, the Duke steps out of his dream and destroys it.

Result: One all-powerful demon trapped in limbo and the heart of the moon in the Duke's possession. Later he'd go on to get decapitated by Lord Entropy and survive partly intact.

Marillion
2010-08-13, 12:08 PM
7th sea campaign.

Problem: We need to break into an Eisen baron's fortress, but it's too well guarded.

Solution: The Ussuran Shapeshifter dresses up his pet monkey, transforms into a giant raven, and picks up the monkey and starts flying over the castle grounds.

The reaction: It's dark. The guards are tired. And it's Eisen, the land of monsters.

FLYING KOBOLD!! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT

And so while the guards are busy chasing the "flying kobold", the rest of the group sneaks over the walls.

Same campaign.

Problem: My sister has just (intentionally) revealed to a group of Inquisitors who were staying with us as "guests" that she is a sorceress/heretic, bringing down the wrath of the Castillian Inquisition upon us.

Solution: The Ussuran gets a bunch of his friends, ties me and my sister up, and holds her underwater until she passes out while the Inquisitors watch.

Reaction: Having successfully faked her death (without warning any of us what he was going to do!), the Inquisitors go home and leave us alone.

Flame of Anor
2010-08-13, 12:30 PM
Half doppleganger warforged that was alloed to use natural attacks as thrown weapons with bloodstorm blade. :smallbiggrin:

Call me crazy, but how can a robot be half-anything?

The party (now grown from 2 to like 6), had a random encounter with a grey render. ... So effectively we had a laser guided bolder thrower. oh yeah, and the rogue rode on the thing as well.

"I am the Fleshwearer!" *Points to bandit leader* "You will be my new skin!"

These are both very awesome. :smallbiggrin:

The shaft goes vertical, and firing laser cannons with both hands, I leap after the demigod into the volcano's mouth.

The blast destroyed the entire civilization, but my comrades managed to recover my charred and smoking body.

Seriously, is there any point in being badass anymore after the top of the range has been so clearly defined? :smallsigh:

Zansumkai
2010-08-13, 01:27 PM
Well, this isn't my own story, I'm relating it on behalf of a friend who doesn't post here.
My friend built a 3.5 fighter/barbarian (I believe) who was modeled after an amalgamation of Kratos and Conan. Born a slave and built into a super burly, oiled fighting machine from all his hard labor (i.e wheel of Krom) he gets freed by the party at the beginning of their game from his pirate owners. After killing said pirates with the same chains used to shackle him, he joins the group on their merry escapades. Now, my friend is a bit of a min/maxer, and already knew he wouldn't be able to finish the campaign since he'd be moving out of town in a few months, so what resulted was a crazy trip-attempt built character, using a pair of chains for weapons, with a death wish.
The whole point of the character was basically battlefield control; he'd trip anything that came in range and then he and the artillery would beat it to death while it tried to stand up. And since he was designed for tripping exclusively, he started readily ruining the DM's encounters by locking down monsters who were supposed to easily kill him. Celestial Dire Lion? Tripped. Two treants at once? Tripped.
He finally met his match when the ship they were sailing on was attacked by a gigantic sea titan and his various allies. While the party dealt with the little guys, it fell to Mr. Trips to lock down the titan. Well, he couldn't quite figure out how to trip this one, so instead he enlarged himself (with a magic ring I believe) and proceeded to leap off the ship and use his chains to grapple onto the titan, by swinging between his legs on the various bits contained there. Here's where the Kratos parallel comes in; he managed to climb up the titan's back and get both chains around its neck. Eventually he dropped the thing, but by now the DM had a bit of a chip on her shoulder about this character, and ruled that he was drug to the bottom of the ocean with the titan's corpse.

DMGreg
2010-08-13, 03:48 PM
It was an AD&D game about 12 years ago now and we were fighting the BBEG, a powerful Wizard, in a banquet hall. At first I overlooked the fluff description (the DM didn't usually want us to interact with his environments anyway) that included three large gold candelabras on the head table. I was playing a Ranger dual wielding a Long Sword and a Kukri, and my party members were a Fighter, a Wizard, and a Rogue. The BBEG had used a defensive spell, I forget which now, that essentially zeroed out all damage dealt by edged weapons.

Not wanting to play along with the DM's plan for an epic fight where we melee folks again took back seat while our Wizard blasted got a chance to shine, I devised my own plan. I ran over to the head table, grabbed one of the candelabras, and proceeded to throw three nat 20s in a row attacking the Wizard. We were using a variant Critical Hit table and I managed to consecutively break his arm, deal triple damage, and deal double damage. Needless to say, the BBEG, all but immune to edged weapons, had no defense prepared for my improvised club and he more or less crumpled at my feet.

The candelabra of death never left my side after that.

Havok SCOUT
2010-08-13, 05:11 PM
Our DM allowed us to snuff out the three candles in the guard room, putting it in total darkness. Then we sent the dwarven fighters in.

Another time in the same campaign, we were at the mouth of the frost dragon's lair, which was guarded by two scary looking giants. Our bard goes in singing and playing his loot, trying to distract them as we sneak past. I then turn to the guy playing the rogue and ask if the giants were helpless. He says " helpless?" than a huge grin spreads across his face and he says helpless. Then he turns to the DM and asks if he can coup de grace them and the DM looks stunned but agrees. 6 auto Crits and two dead bodies later, we walk into the cave.

DaMullet
2010-08-27, 03:01 PM
In the most recent campaign, our entire party collectively convinced the DM to let us be the cast from Scooby Doo. Shaggy was a Druid with a great dane animal companion, Freddy (me) was a Ranger, favored enemy of undead, which he used to great effect since the campaign was a hunt for a necromancer.

Now, that in itself is not amazing. What's amazing is, the second session (which I was absent for) the DM decided to retro-veto the Scooby Doo party and make everyone roll more serious characters. I convinced him to let me remain Fred Jones. In a Grim'n'Gritty Undead-fest. Later, I convinced the DM to let me use a Swan Boat Feather Token and drop a boat on the necromancer, allowing us time to retreat from an otherwise unwinnable fight.

In a completely different campaign, I played a Sorcerer who was... fast and loose with the rules... both in and out of character. Among the feats he accomplished by dint of my charisma and luck:
--Rode a Tenser's Floating Disk by way of a rowboat he happened to have on-hand, granting everyone in the party a free ride out of every situation we found ourselves in.
--Cast 'Hesitate' on an Aboleth that was halfway through belly-flopping onto the party, causing it to somehow 'rethink its action' and stop falling.
--Murdered a red dragon by dropping a Staff of Frost into lava, setting off all its charges at once, which cast Cone of Cold centered on myself and the dragon about 30 times.
--After being Raised (they were able to chip a finger out of the ice and Rez him), created several large books full of explosive runes (30 to 40 spells per book) and getting the cleric to try to dispel them, setting them all off at once; After the DM got sick of the party nuking every monster, he killed us off by having an enemy dispel my backpack, which killed the entire party (except the rogue, who made his save, and wasn't even present at the time).

Tyndmyr
2010-08-27, 03:12 PM
Seriously, is there any point in being badass anymore after the top of the range has been so clearly defined? :smallsigh:

Thanks. 7th Sea lends itself very well to cinematic badassery. Plus, I've got a group that appreciates pulling off wild stunts with style. So, wierd ideas get put into action all the time, and regardless of the outcome, it's usually awesome. Last one was a result of me pondering the name "castle crashers", and coming to the only logical conclusion possible. We needed to crash flying castles.

Esser-Z
2010-08-27, 03:23 PM
I got the DM to let the party target the wings of dragons in flight with our ranged attacks, thereby shooting them down.

I also convinced the same DM to let me summon a crocodile directly on top of enemies.

I know I'll think of more.

Yukitsu
2010-08-27, 04:42 PM
Just yesterday.

Me: "It's a giant eyeball stuck in a statue tethered to the floor, right?"
DM: "Yes."
Me: "And everything around us both is made of obsidian in jagged shards?"
DM: "Correct."
Me: "I'll stay mostly behind this corner I'm in and hurl my hammer towards the floor between him and me."
Monster: "You've missed little air spirit."
"Sparky" (my nickname): "Shut up!"
Me: "Now I throw my halberd down the hall."
DM: "OK."
Me: "Then I throw my bag of gold down there."
Monster: "Well, this is novel. Are you trying to undermine the foundation that is holding me up?"
Sparky: "Shut up!"
Me: "I throw the rest of my backpack down there."
Monster: "You're either up to something, and are incredibly smart, or you're incredibly stupid."
Me: "I do a John woo style jump out of the hallway I was taking cover in, and gust of wind the obsidian that I've been hitting up towards his eye."
DM: "...OK, that is clever."
Sparky: "glass in you're eye you blasted monster?" :smallbiggrin: