PDA

View Full Version : Illithid Swordsage

TechnOkami
2010-08-10, 04:06 AM
So, I want to make an Illithid Swordsage. No, I do not want to make him the unarmed super-monk. I want him to actually wield weapons. Now I don't know the best way for having a swordsage with actual weapons, but my idea is to have an Illithin with a Katana (bastard sword) and Wakizachi (short sword) for the Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, and Shadow Hand disciplines, and then light mace for Desert Wind. Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw I could then just use unarmed strikes. To be honest, I'm not even all to sure about what I'm talking about, so GitP, please... ...enlighten me.

What (besides unarmed strike) are other good weapons for a Swordsage to wield?

&

How does one properly go about playing as a Swordsage?

ex cathedra
2010-08-10, 04:10 AM
Dual-Wielding Daggers, taking the feat Shadow Blade, and using Assassin's Stance is a popular choice at low levels, and it leads well into Bloodclaw Master.

Why do you want to switch weapons? That is nearly invariably a bad idea. I'm just checking, but you are aware that the school's favored weapons are just fluff, and shadow blade is one of the very few mechanical benefits you receive for using school-appropriate weapons, yes? Nothing is stopping you from using Shadow Hand strikes with a Greatsword, as far as I recall.

Swordsages are not difficult to play. All of the Tome of Battle classes are very well designed, and it's somewhat difficult to accidentally make an unplayable character with the options given to you.

Also, what do you mean, Illithid Swordsage? Like, really? Illithid? Don't those have monstrous LA?

TechnOkami
2010-08-10, 04:33 AM
Well, to be frank I was being caught up in the fluff of it all, hence the weapon swapping. Still not to sure as to what my really good options are (my main thought was to go illithid swordsage with katana and light mace using diamond mind and desert wind abilities). And I know Illithids have monstrous LA, but my GM and I are working it out and I quite simply just want to be an Illithid, they're badass.

ex cathedra
2010-08-10, 04:56 AM
To be honest, unless you're using the Weapon Groups variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm#usingWeaponGroupsInPlaceOfCla ssWeaponProficiencies), you probably should use a Longsword, a Scimitar, a Rapier, or a Greatsword instead of a Katana. The weapon just isn't good enough to spend a feat on.

FelixG
2010-08-10, 05:29 AM
I quite simply just want to be an Illithid, they're badass.

Seconded :smallbiggrin:

Snake-Aes
2010-08-10, 05:43 AM
On "how to play" a swordsage. That's mostly however you want to. They're rather self-centered by definition, but do not have the same urge to prove themselves as, say, a warblade. Basically it's a guy that is good with his gun and knows it, and has "become better" among his higher goals.

Well, to be frank I was being caught up in the fluff of it all, hence the weapon swapping. Still not to sure as to what my really good options are (my main thought was to go illithid swordsage with katana and light mace using diamond mind and desert wind abilities). And I know Illithids have monstrous LA, but my GM and I are working it out and I quite simply just want to be an Illithid, they're badass. You don't have to swap them much. The only sensible weapon options you'll have are the Weapon Focus from first level(all weapons from a discipline) and Shadow Blade if you're going to use Shadow Hand stuff a lot (dex to damage instead of str, while using SH weapons).
Pick a "style". A swordsage's combat can be ferocious, subtle, focused, annoying or straightforward based on maneuver selection alone.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-10, 06:21 AM
An Illithid has 8 HD of Aberration with a +7 LA, so with only one level of Swordsage that would be a 16th level character. Consider using the Half-Illithid template in Fiend Folio, it has only a +5 LA and can be added to any Humanoid other than Humans. I'd probably put it on a Whisper Gnome, but Half-Orc would also be a usable base race in this case if you'd rather focus on strength. Definitely pick up Multiattack so you can full-attack with manufactured weapons and then get secondary attacks with your tentacles at only a -2 instead of the usual -5. The FR book Underdark contains some magic items specific to Illithids, particularly the Tentacle Extension item and Extracting Tentacle graft. If you can use FR material and go with a half-orc, refer to the half-humans sidebar on page 150 of Races of Destiny to qualify for and take Jotunbrud from Races of Faerun. This will make you considered large sized for opposed checks, such as when grappling with your tentacles.

Morph Bark
2010-08-10, 12:48 PM
To be honest, unless you're using the Weapon Groups variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm#usingWeaponGroupsInPlaceOfCla ssWeaponProficiencies), you probably should use a Longsword, a Scimitar, a Rapier, or a Greatsword instead of a Katana. The weapon just isn't good enough to spend a feat on.

Also known as "longswords are shorter bastard swords, so basically you're just using a shorter katana without spending a feat".

Tokuhara
2010-08-10, 01:39 PM
Well, if you are being a Mind Flayer Swordsage, my major tip is to be mobile. I also second the Weapon Group variant (even if it is with only ur char, ask ur DM) and then you can weild a multitude of weapons.

As for Bastard Sword, it's a decent weapon, but remember: You Can Use It Without EWP (granted, two-handed, but its still martial in that respect). For similar ruling, see Great Scimitar, martial two handed, exotic one handed.

If you want to be a "Bathrobe Samurai," consider asking your DM for Psionics instead of spells. This way, with a katana that is enchanted with a light-like effect, you go from normal to Super Plo Koon with an enchantment

Endarire
2010-08-10, 04:30 PM
Shadow Blade (Tome of Battle 32) lets you use your STR and DEX modifiers to damage with Shadow Hand weapons (shortswords, spiked chains, and unarmed strikes mostly) while in a Shadow Hand stance (Island of Blades or Assassin's Stance).

TechnOkami
2010-08-10, 04:57 PM
Alright, so would it be better to focus on using specific disciplines?
Does the weapon I pick really determine what disciplines I can pull abilities from?
What in theory (besides unarmed strike) would be the best weapons for a swordsage?

DragoonWraith
2010-08-10, 05:04 PM
If you're willing to use homebrew, I recommend the Aberrant Armorlord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83133) PrC, the Sleeping Goddess (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98409) discipline, and possibly the Chthonic Serpent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131567) discipline. The Aberrant Armorlord gains numerous tentacle attacks, and is therefore rather fitting for an Illithid, and the Sleeping Goddess is a Psionic discipline, which is perfect for them. The Chthonic Serpent discipline works well with tentacles, if you go that route. Switching the Aberrant Armorlord's Stone Dragon discipline for Chthonic Serpent shouldn't be difficult, I'd think.

Shadow Blade (Tome of Battle 32) lets you use your STR and DEX modifiers to damage with Shadow Hand weapons (shortswords, spiked chains, and unarmed strikes mostly) while in a Shadow Hand stance (Island of Blades or Assassin's Stance).
Incorrect; the summary listing in the Feat table suggests that this is the case, but the text of the feat itself is quite clear than your Dex replaces Str. There are pros and cons to either way, really, though; the way it's written, you get to completely dump Str once you have Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade, which is rather nice.

TechnOkami
2010-08-10, 05:19 PM
a. I still want to go Illithid Swordsage.

b. I almost died laughing at the picture of the Abberant Armlord, because I know where she got it from.

DragoonWraith
2010-08-10, 05:35 PM
a. I still want to go Illithid Swordsage.
I was not suggesting otherwise; those are the bits of homebrew that I used for my own Illithid Swordsage (of course, I also homebrewed a playable, 0 RHD/LA +0 Illithid to go with it; I could probably dig that up if you're interested, but it lacked quite a few Illithid features both for balance reasons and for reasons related to my character's fluff).

b. I almost died laughing at the picture of the Abberant Armlord, because I know where she got it from.
Heh, I don't, but I do know that it's excellent work.

Boci
2010-08-10, 05:42 PM
Incorrect; the summary listing in the Feat table suggests that this is the case, but the text of the feat itself is quite clear than your Dex replaces Str.

It is actually the other way around. The table says instead and the actual text says in addition. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=3

Use Dex modifier instead of Str modifier on damage rolls with Shadow Sun weapons

DragoonWraith
2010-08-10, 07:57 PM
Aha, right you are. Well then, good to know.