PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 - Faerun] need help making a char that can make my DM cry ^^

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-10, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone, long time watcher, first time poster here.

Like title says, i need a setup and would like to get the entire playground to help me make my DM cry a bit.

my stats are as follows :
Str 10
Dex 15
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 18
Cha 12

We are starting at level 13 so i have 3 points to distribute into stats, can allso move 1 stat around (str - wis for example)

I am looking for eather Cleric / Wizard / Mystic theuge type, or just pure cleric or pure wizard (or sorcerer for that matter) or anything people can think of to make my DM cry a bit :P

Let me see the magic i have seen done here so many times before :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-08-10, 03:58 PM
Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun) is one of the most powerful Faerun-only prestige classes.

If the PC swaps Wis for Int, and is a wizard, that's a good route to Incantatrix.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-10, 04:01 PM
Hey, google "Cheater of Mystra". :) those stats will work great for it!

Tokuhara
2010-08-10, 04:08 PM
Hybrid:

Race-Lesser Tiefling
Class-Conjurer 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/Incantrix 5

School drop- Enchantment (no good spells)

Int boost racialy, 0LA, and everything broken you want

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 08:24 AM
Okey, been scouting the books, and i am thinking of Cleric 8 / Thaumaturgist 5.
my big wondering now is with that Planar Cohort, i can effectively get myself a hound archon hero right? (6HD + ECL 5 = 11)

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 08:29 AM
So did you google cheater of mystra yet? Ah screw it let me just link you to it...

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872770/new_build:_The_Cheater_of_Mystra

It's an old build, and has very very much been updated elsewhere, but that is the basic core of it.

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 08:31 AM
Yeah i checked it, i know my dm would show up with a axe if id show up with that :P

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 08:39 AM
Yeah i checked it, i know my dm would show up with a axe if id show up with that :P

But you wanted him to cry didn't you?? Isn't that the whole point??

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-11, 08:43 AM
You don't have to use all the Cheater's tricks, just go with the basic build and gradually ramp up what buffs your character uses.

If you're going with a Thaumaturgist, you'll want a Ghaele (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm) Eladrin as your planar cohort. The Hound Archon Hero is ECL 22: 6 HD of Outsider, 11 levels of Paladin, and a +5 LA. The Ghaele is a much better choice, it's a capable melee combatant and an excellent spellcaster, plus it can use Charm Monster, Hold Monster, and numerous other spell-like abilities at will. Have it prepare and cast Greater Luminous Armor on itself each day and it will have the highest AC in the party.

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 08:50 AM
okey, will think about it, any other ideas?

Kislath
2010-08-11, 09:00 AM
Why do you want to do such a thing, anyway? You're only asking for trouble.
The game will either suffer from the friction, or the DM will waste a lot of time figuring out ways to exploit your weaknesses just for spite. That's what I do. Anyone who deliberately tries to annoy me invariably succeeds, and then I make them pay.

mostlyharmful
2010-08-11, 09:00 AM
your stats say more druid than cleric to me. add in a fleshraker, venomfire and control winds and you're set to make any sane DM cry.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-11, 09:06 AM
your stats say more druid than cleric to me. add in a fleshraker, venomfire and control winds and you're set to make any sane DM cry.

Don't forget about Greenbound Summoning, so your Summon Nature's Ally I (with Ring of the Beast) will get 1d3 Greenbound Dire Rats, each of which will use their Wall of Thorns spell-like ability immediately.

Kajhera
2010-08-11, 09:09 AM
Make one NPC your closest friend, have them fall in love with you, then kill off someone they care about in front of them and banish them from your presence forever for no discernible reason (to the NPC).

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-11, 09:53 AM
If you really want to make him cry, don't bother with the small stuff like the Cheater of Mystra. You have 2 options.
1. Be a Necropolitan wizard, and enter Tainted Scholar. Cast some spells. Get nigh infinite spells per day and save DCs.
AND/OR (if you're really sneaky)
2. Buy a scroll of PAO (polymorph any object), become a beholder as soon a possible. Enter Beholder Mage. Cast 10 spells per round spontaneously from a wizard's list.

Illithid Savant is also up there as a ridiculously good prestige class, entered the same way as Beholder Mage, but is more situational in what it does though. If you happen to know that you'll encounter some Sarruhks however, this is the way to go.

Just wear a bullet proof vest to the game and everything will be fine.

Vangor
2010-08-11, 09:57 AM
Depends entirely which books and potential additional rules are in play. If you can use flaws from UA, be a Human Cleric and take two with the Planning and any other Domain (I am partial to Time due to access to Haste). Get Aerenal Focus (Perform:Dance), which is from an Eberron book, first level absolutely followed by Dodge, Mobility, Endurance, Combat Casting, and Persistent Spell as you can (depending on availability of flaws this may take until 6th or 12th). Take the Spelldancer PrC from Magic of Faerun and persist every spell you want. I suggest Healing Lorecall initially with 10 ranks in Heal in order to use Cure Minor Wounds to rid yourself of Exhaustion, followed by Restoration when the Con damage is too high.

If you have flaws, take Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) and Bonus Essentia from Magic of Incarnum, allowing you to reduce any ability damage by 2 all the time. You can also be a Necropolitan to absolutely ignore any problems with Spelldancing, but the least you can do while abusing is sacrifice a few spells or feats.

Eloel
2010-08-11, 10:00 AM
Go Warmage/Rainbow Servant. Play a blaster for a couple levels. Grab Rainbow Servants' capstone. Make DM cry.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-11, 10:05 AM
Go Warmage/Rainbow Servant. Play a blaster for a couple levels. Grab Rainbow Servants' capstone. Make DM cry.

He's starting at level 13, so with shenanigans he can already have all ten levels of it.

Eloel
2010-08-11, 10:29 AM
It's better to start with something that doesn't make the DM cry - to avoid starting denials.

Tengu_temp
2010-08-11, 10:58 AM
Surprise overpowered character is never a good idea. Your DM won't be happy because you mess up the campaign, the other players won't be happy because you'll steal the whole spotlight, you won't be happy because after the initial power trip it will turn out the game's not fun anymore. What's the benefit?

FMArthur
2010-08-11, 11:04 AM
For some reason I expected a thread about emotionally moving story developments initiated by the players instead of the DM. I don't know why I thought this; "help me ruin my game" is a thread that repeats itself almost daily around here so this really shouldn't have been a surprise. :smallsigh:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-11, 12:06 PM
As for a Cleric of Mystra, here's how I'd do it:

Start with a Human Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), found in UA, and channel positive energy so you can spontaneously cast Cure spells. I'd switch Dex and Cha, and put all of your level-up points into Wisdom. Later on you can Supernatural Miracle a +5 to each of your stats, so leaving them at an odd number is actually a good thing.

Get the feat Magical Training, it's a regional feat in PGtF. You'll be taking Dweomerkeeper (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a), so you need to meet the prerequisites for that. Magical Training gets you arcane spellcasting, Rune domain gets Scribe Scroll, and you'll need to get Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and Divine Metamagic: Persistent. You want as few cloistered cleric levels as possible, which will likely be five, and all ten dweomerkeeper levels. Your other five class levels could be divine disciple, but there are better choices now. For example, Divine Oracle 4 gets some nice class features, and you can say you visited the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get its Skill Focus requirement for 2000 gp without wasting a feat on it. Dipping a single level into Contemplative gets you another domain, which is absolutely necessary since you'll need the Spell domain.

You should also take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), because every character should take it, the 10% XP bonus alone is worth it and you can upgrade it yourself for half price. I'd skip the Reach Spell shenanigans, hold back a little from the start, and don't mention the XP bonus if he doesn't notice just write it on your character sheet. Therefore, your build should be as follows:

Human, Cloistered Cleric 5/ Divine Oracle 4/ Dweomerkeeper 1/ Contemplative 1/ Dweomerkeeper 9. Magical Training (H), Extend Spell (1), Scribe Scroll (D), Item Familiar (3), Skill Focus: Kn: Religion (FGF), Initiate of Mystra (6), Persistent Spell (9), DMM: Persistent (12), Quicken Spell (15), and Power Attack (18). Starting domains are Rune and Magic, you get Oracle at 6th and Spell at 11th. Your Dweomerkeeper Mantle of Spell choices (class level) should be either Summon Monster V or Summon Undead V (1), Heal (3), Limited Wish (5), Moment of Prescience (7), and Miracle (9).

Your item familiar is very important. It must have started out as a magic item worth at least 2,000 gp, but from there you can upgrade it yourself as though you had all the proper prerequisites to do so. It is treated as an intelligent item, which means it gets treated as a construct, which means it cannot be dispelled or disjoined or sundered and it continues to function in an antimagic field. At level 13 you start with a minimum of 78k XP, so assuming you spend all of your 10% bonus on upgrading this you can have an item whose total value is 197,000 gp, at a cost of 99,500 gp and 7,800 xp. You could go a bit lower to have extra to spend on Limited Wish, but you'll get plenty more later so you may as well go all out.

I'd make it a ring, start it as a Ring of Protection +1, which as per MIC page 234 won't cost any more than normal when combined with a different item. Upgrade it to a Ring of Freedom of Movement (40,000) with Protection +2 (8,000), the properties of a Ring of the Darkhidden at 50% more (3,000 total), Ring of the Forcewall at 50% more (7,650 total), Ring of Negative Protection at 50% more (54,000 total), and a Ring of Invisibility at 50% more (30,000 total). That comes to a total item value of 142,650 gp, which leaves you just enough to add the best part.

As you gain levels your item familiar gains special abilities, one of which can be a special purpose and dedicated power. You get to pick every detail of this, your item familiar is an extension of yourself and you can make it anything you want for the right price. Its purpose should be to defend you, your health, and your interests, and its dedicated power should be Dimension Door at will, as listed under intelligent items. This puts its total cost to 192,650 gp, most of which you do yourself for a total cost of 97,325 gp and 7,626 xp. You'll still have slightly more XP than everyone else starting out, and you'll have 12,675 gp remaining for the rest of your gear.

Note that your item familiar is a sentient creature, it gets actions in combat, so it can for example ready an action to activate its Forcewall effect if the big bad giant decides to charge you, or spend its action to activate Invisibility on you at the end of your turn every single round. Being a construct it never has to sleep, it can see and has darkvision up to 60 ft., so if you're sleeping or fall unconscious it can Dimension Door you to safety and make you Invisible. At your next level it gets another special ability, which should be Spell Use. You should prepare a Heal spell in it that it can cast on you if you lose consciousness to injury or ill effects.

With only 12,675 gp remaining your should consider dropping the Ring of Invisibility effect from it. You can add it on later, and you'll have an extra 15,000 gp to spend on items that your DM may not make available in the future (and you'll be up 1200 xp). Also be sure to add a Ring of Sustenance effect to it at 50% more (3,750 gp value). I'd get three Night Sticks (7,500 gp each) and a Lesser Rod of Extend (3,000 gp), and with the Frog God's Fane feat (2,000 gp) you'll be left with 175 gp remaining for other mundane gear. Try to pick up a 3rd level Pearl of Power, more Night Sticks, at least one standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed, a standard Rod of Extend along with a 6th level Pearl of Power, and a Greater Rod of Chain Spell.

You'll be able to Persist two spells every day, but you'll get plenty of hour/level buffs besides that. First of all, you should cast Luminous Armor, 2nd level from BoED, and use the Lesser Rod of Extend with it. Have a Lesser Restoration prepared for the strength damage you sacrifice for it. If you don't want the glow effect and/or don't want to play a good/exalted character you can just use Mage Armor instead from the Spell domain. Your 3rd level domain spell should be Anyspell, which you use to prepare and cast Shield which you DMM: Persist. You should cast Magic Vestment on both of those, again using the Lesser Rod of Extend. Your other DMM: Persistent spell should be Holy Star, which should be in Spell Turning mode when out of combat and it can be switched to AC mode or Attack mode if you're not fighting spellcasters, depending on the situation. Note that the spell itself does not get discharged, even if the Spell Turning mode gets used up, so it is a valid target for Persistent. You can also cast Greater Resistance (4th) on yourself each day for a +3 to all saving throws.

Get one more Night Stick and you can DMM: Persist Divine Power. Once you get a 3rd level Pearl of Power and more Night Sticks you can recover Anyspell and use it to prepare and cast Wraithstrike, again using DMM: Persistent. You can use Greater Anyspell to prepare and cast Draconic Polymorph from the Draconomicon, another valid target for DMM: Persist, which you can use to take the form of a War Troll from MM3. You could just skip persisting that and use it as a combat buff, in which case be sure to get a Pearl of Power to use it more often.

Once you get a Metamagic Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power you'll be able to do this trick. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity twice, cast it on yourself three times using the pearl to recover one, picking a different energy type for each. Use the Rod of Extend so each will last 48 hours, so you only need to cast them every other day. On the days in between prepare Energy Immunity once and Superior Resistance once, and cast those on yourself using the pearl to cast Energy Immunity a second time. Again pick different energy types and again the rod will make each last 48 hours. This will give you constant immunity to all five energy types, along with a +6 Resistance bonus to saving throws, for the cost of those items and two 6th level spell slots each day.

Furnok
2010-08-11, 02:45 PM
Be warned if you try to out munchkin the DM, you will lose.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 02:56 PM
in which biffon describes a work of genius

What about Knowledge devotion? Does that have a place?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-11, 03:02 PM
I am looking for eather Cleric / Wizard / Mystic theuge type, or just pure cleric or pure wizard (or sorcerer for that matter) or anything people can think of to make my DM cry a bit :P

Outta curiosity, whats the goal in making the DM cry?

balistafreak
2010-08-11, 04:41 PM

To be quite frank, the most common reason is because the player is an arse, and wants to annoy a particular someone. :smallannoyed:

Seriously, trolling your DM isn't at all good for your relationship, and doesn't reflect well on your person. I understand that in online games you can teamkill, harass, and generally be a nuisance as long as you can get away with it, with little to no risk of meaningful retribution, but you're actually going to seeing this guy face to face. Or more accurately, fist to face.

D&D shouldn't ever be about player vs. DM, because the DM will always win if he wants to and the player will always leave in disgust that "the man's getting him down".

If you really want to annoy your DM, get yourself a straw and some paper. Make some spitballs and constantly shoot them at him during the game. You'll get the same result with a lot less trouble. Seriously.

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 05:09 PM

Well, cause last time he was DM'ing, he made us cry.... alot...

We had to roll a natural 20 to HIT his monsters.... then we had to overcome their DR or regeneration.... lets just call this revenge :P (we are 4 players and are all plotting to make him cry as revenge)

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 05:14 PM
For some reason I expected a thread about emotionally moving story developments initiated by the players instead of the DM. I don't know why I thought this; "help me ruin my game" is a thread that repeats itself almost daily around here so this really shouldn't have been a surprise. :smallsigh:

Sorry to disapoint :P

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 06:42 PM

We had to roll a natural 20 to HIT his monsters.... then we had to overcome their DR or regeneration.... lets just call this revenge :P (we are 4 players and are all plotting to make him cry as revenge)

The proper response for Characters that can't harm the monsters they are fighting, where the monsters can harm them, is "retreat or surrender".

The proper response for PLAYERS of characters that can't harm the monsters was to ask the dm, "Why are you running a fight that we didn't go looking for that is specifically more than our characters can chew? Do you want our characters to flee it or surrender to these creatures? How come there were no hints before the fight started to the characters they were all completely outmatched? That would make the encounter a story based one of, 'the characters have to decide what to do when potentially up against something totally out of their league', which is an interesting type of encounter, but instead we ended up fighting it with no chance of affecting the outcome of the fight. The rules are only there to figure out things where there is a question of the outcome."

Paladineyddi
2010-08-11, 07:23 PM
Hello

I am the "roleplayer" of the party that man is in and first of all id like to thank you all both who have helped him and those who have tried to dissuade him from this sad road my group walks

sadly our group has/is deteriorating as roleplayers and much has turned into GM vs Player

and also it is sad that some of us cant play proper characters when trying to stay up there with the munchkiners

sort of lost track what i was trying to say here so il just ask you to give him critical flaws in his builds so they can be extuingished if they start to be troublesome

ThatBaneCleric
2010-08-11, 07:26 PM
Hello

I am the "roleplayer" of the party that man is in and first of all id like to thank you all both who have helped him and those who have tried to dissuade him from this sad road my group walks

sadly our group has/is deteriorating as roleplayers and much has turned into GM vs Player

and also it is sad that some of us cant play proper characters when trying to stay up there with the munchkiners

sort of lost track what i was trying to say here so il just ask you to give him critical flaws in his builds so they can be extuingished if they start to be troublesome

Silence you infidel.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 07:49 PM
Hello

Weelllll.... the best way to BALANCE the capabilities of D&D 3.5e characters is so that everyone plays characters of roughly similar tier. Basically, give people who aren't as good as optimizing maybe higher tier classes, or classes that are really simple and easy to 'get', and players that are good at optimizing might play lower tiercharacters. Anyway, here is the tier system:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002

And, just so you know, there is no causal relationship with playing a very optimized character and not roleplaying a character well. The two skills are completely independent, and use different skillsets. So you can have a very optimized or unoptimized character, and still be able to roleplay it well if you are a good roleplayer.

Paladineyddi
2010-08-11, 07:54 PM
Weelllll.... the best way to BALANCE the capabilities of D&D 3.5e characters is so that everyone plays characters of roughly similar tier. Basically, give people who aren't as good as optimizing maybe higher tier classes, or classes that are really simple and easy to 'get', and players that are good at optimizing might play lower tiercharacters. Anyway, here is the tier system:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002

And, just so you know, there is no causal relationship with playing a very optimized character and not roleplaying a character well. The two skills are completely independent, and use different skillsets. So you can have a very optimized or unoptimized character, and still be able to roleplay it well if you are a good roleplayer.

no arguments here and me and my group all know this but people seem to be having a power erection these days

Andion Isurand
2010-08-11, 07:55 PM
More to consider:

Spontaneous Divination ACF (Complete Champion) in exchange for your 5th level wizard bonus feat. As per Errata, it only lets you spontaneously cast divination spells that you know.

Domain Wizard variant from Unearthed Arcana.
Fighter Feat Wizard from Unearthed Arcana if you want it.

Consider the Bardic Knack variant (PHB2) if going Cloistered Cleric or even Loremaster PrC.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-11, 07:57 PM
You know there are games that are overtly, specifically, gm versus player games? And have rules that work better for that style of gameplay?

Generally, it means that both the resources of the player and the resources of the GM have to be *restricted* somehow, so each side has to use ingenuity to succeed. Maybe consider looking into some games that are like that?

I'd have a talk with the group, suggest maybe switching to one of those games, since the GM likes playing gm vs player style games, which D&D 3.5e does NOT have sufficient limitations for, and if he is the one that is gming...than that would work?

Now, 3.5e MIGHT have sufficient limitations on this IF the dm has to stick to published material, stick to combat encounters, AND stick to challenge ratings a limited level above the groups average level.

dextercorvia
2010-08-11, 11:32 PM
Where is Glyphstone with his popcorn?

If you really want to make your DM cry, you first must get to know his innermost fears.

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-11, 11:35 PM
Where is Glyphstone with his popcorn?

If you really want to make your DM cry, you first must get to know his innermost fears.

Indeed! So basically, a few castings of Divination and Contact Other Plane, be a Shadowcraft Mage, and go to town replicating his deepest, darkest fears!

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 11:11 AM

Oh, well in that case, run away.

Find the largest city you can, buy a little shop, and start making money by mundane crafting or professions. If he tosses out monsters that you can't fight...don't fight them.

If he resorts to ridiculous levels of railroading to force you to fight them, laugh and tell him no. If none of you want to play his game, he can't force you to play it.