PDA

View Full Version : Nasty PAO (3.5)

Balor01
2010-08-10, 03:58 PM
Here's my question:

How does a monster survive Polymorph any object (polymorphing a large stone into depleted uranium and dropping it for XX.000 points of damage?

IMHO, no matter how large item is, there is always REF save. (but question is, where does the target appear if it is dropped, say, 1000 x 1000 x 1000 feet cube of iron?)

Also, contingency on target, instantly teleporting it elswhere.

Consider this question taking into an account silly amounts of cheese on one side and AMF, epic monsters and gods on the othere.

I am asking this because I think only "sure to kill" way for a wiz is PAO. Almost all spells are nullyfied by AMF + even Magic immunity (epic) and there is IMHO no way for a wiz to produce enough dmg with no-SR and orb-ish spells.

As for summons, they are supressed in AMF. So no help there, except for maybe telekinesis spells. (still not enough firepower for epics)

Keld Denar
2010-08-10, 04:11 PM
The Mailman sees your AMF and laughs...then deals 1000 damage to everyone inside of it. Instantaneous Conjourations can exist within an AMF, even if they can't origionate inside of one. As long as you are outside, a properly prepared caster can punch a fist sized hole into any foe stupid enough to think that an AMF will protect him.

Since Prismatic effects block LoE and magical effects, an Iot7V could sit comfortably inside of his Prismatic Blue/Violet fortress and fling Orbs out without reservation or hesitation.

And if someone does manage to bring it down, and slay your material form, you just wake up from your Astral Projection, recover your spells, and Astrally Project again, knowing all of the dirty tricks your enemy will use against you.

EDIT:
PAO won't work with AMFs. Even if the duration is "Permanent", it still has a magical effect on it that can be dispelled and/or suppressed. If you PAO a pebble into a brick to drop on someone in an AMF, the brick will fall until it hits the edge of the AMF effect and then turn back into a pebble.

urbanpirate
2010-08-10, 07:20 PM
the trick is to use it the other way around, pao a bunch of boulders, elementals, young adult dragons etc into sling stones or arrows and fire at whoever is hiding in the AMF as fast as you can. when their dispell effect works against them they will have just enough time to cry before becoming paste.

olentu
2010-08-10, 07:27 PM
the trick is to use it the other way around, pao a bunch of boulders, elementals, young adult dragons etc into sling stones or arrows and fire at whoever is hiding in the AMF as fast as you can. when their dispell effect works against them they will have just enough time to cry before becoming paste.

Though if doing this use the polymorph on things that are not objects. Shrink item on the nonmagical objects.

Darrin
2010-08-10, 10:35 PM
How does a monster survive Polymorph any object (polymorphing a large stone into depleted uranium and dropping it for XX.000 points of damage?

Spellblade (MoF, costs abou 8300ish GP) gives immunity to a single spell that targets the wielder (and you get a chance to redirect it somewhere else). Doesn't work with area effects, though. Unlike a ring of spell turning, however, it isn't limited by spell level, so you can render yourself immune to things like imprisonment.

Also, contingency on target, instantly teleporting it elswhere.

Hmm... much trickier. Usually a high-level divination ("Where will X teleport to next?" followed by something like "I wish the black ethergaunt annual sales meeting was being held there exactly when X shows up.")

I am asking this because I think only "sure to kill" way for a wiz is PAO. Almost all spells are nullyfied by AMF + even Magic immunity (epic) and there is IMHO no way for a wiz to produce enough dmg with no-SR and orb-ish spells.

There are a few Mailman/Cindy builds that can get direct damage up into the 500+ range. But if you're dealing with the well-prepared paranoid wizard, then you're kinda just stuck with a pointless thought experiment: anything you can throw at him, he can counter and kill you with a dozen or so high-level combos.

Balor01
2010-08-11, 03:27 AM
The Mailman sees your AMF and laughs...then deals 1000 damage to everyone inside of it. Instantaneous Conjourations can exist within an AMF, even if they can't origionate inside of one. As long as you are outside, a properly prepared caster can punch a fist sized hole into any foe stupid enough to think that an AMF will protect him.

1.000?

Maximised, empowered?

Since Prismatic effects block LoE and magical effects, an Iot7V could sit comfortably inside of his Prismatic Blue/Violet fortress and fling Orbs out without reservation or hesitation.

If they block magical effects, magic can not get in, but also not out. Or am I wrong?

lord_khaine
2010-08-11, 03:34 AM
If they block magical effects, magic can not get in, but also not out. Or am I wrong?

Oh no, that would be a disadvantage for the wizard, we really cant have that.

Viskocity
2010-08-11, 03:41 AM
1.000?

They only block line of effect in one direction. The text specifically says that there is no interference with the caster's actions. Of course the only reason it blocks line of effect in the first place is that it replicates Prismatic Wall/Sphere. It never specifically says so in the text.