PDA

View Full Version : Pit fiend cohort level

Harris the Ford
2010-08-10, 04:31 PM
So im in an evil campaign and am looking to take the leadership feat soon. We are going to come into epic levels here pretty soon and I thought what better cohort than the LE CR 20 Pit Fiend! I can roleplay acquiring easily enough but the mechanics of leadership score are in question. I did some research and saw a normal monsters cohort level was usually CR+3 or more if it has special abilities. I didn't know if there was a better system for calculating that or if it was entirely up to the DM. Also, what would the cohort level be in your guys' opinions.

BTW, legality of having this creature is no concern because the DM will rule 0 it if for some reason I'm not allowed to have one.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-10, 04:34 PM
Generally, monstrous cohorts are a bad idea: following the epic leadership rules, you'd have to be about level 40 to get one, which just isn't smart when you can get a level 38 character instead.

Yorrin
2010-08-10, 04:34 PM
Normally for cohorts you go with ECL. Pit Feind's LA isn't listed in MM, nor is his cohort level listed in ELH, so you'll have to ask your DM on that one. I'd rule that's it's a pretty massive level adjustment, though, compared to most other devils. You're better off having a cohort that can polymorph into a Pit Fiend.

Urpriest
2010-08-10, 04:39 PM
There might be an ECL listed in the Epic Level handbook, or the Epic Level section of the SRD. I'd check there, those would be the most concrete rules on the topic.

Edit: Swordsaged.

Xefas
2010-08-10, 04:40 PM
Well, they only have 18 hit dice, so since a level 15 Wizard could probably keep one around pretty much indefinitely without spending a feat (using Greater Planar Binding twice a month), I'd say level 15 or so isn't unreasonable, depending on the power level of your game.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-10, 04:45 PM
So im in an evil campaign and am looking to take the leadership feat soon. We are going to come into epic levels here pretty soon and I thought what better cohort than the LE CR 20 Pit Fiend! I can roleplay acquiring easily enough but the mechanics of leadership score are in question. I did some research and saw a normal monsters cohort level was usually CR+3 or more if it has special abilities. I didn't know if there was a better system for calculating that or if it was entirely up to the DM. Also, what would the cohort level be in your guys' opinions.

BTW, legality of having this creature is no concern because the DM will rule 0 it if for some reason I'm not allowed to have one.

CR Adjustment is 1 to +8 = level equivalent.
Imps are +5
Quisits are +6 (for no reason since Imps are not different much).
Erinyes are +8
Displacer Beast is +6.
Hell Hound: +4
Bralani Eldarin: +5
Avoral Guardian: +6
Lammasu: +4

I'd peg Pit Fiend as +4 (no more powerful than Lammasu adjustment).

Harris the Ford
2010-08-10, 04:48 PM
Well, they only have 18 hit dice, so since a level 15 Wizard could probably keep one around pretty much indefinitely without spending a feat (using Greater Planar Binding twice a month), I'd say level 15 or so isn't unreasonable, depending on the power level of your game.

We are running a high power campaign. He's been giving us epic level items since lvl 15 (ring of prot+6 woo) but from this it seems easier to just have a wizard cohort who casts greater planar ally and summon a pit fiend for me... a little convoluted but it seems doable.

Generally, monstrous cohorts are a bad idea: following the epic leadership rules, you'd have to be about level 40 to get one, which just isn't smart when you can get a level 38 character instead.

where do you suppose I'd have to be level 40? care to share your math?