PDA

View Full Version : GURPS 4e partial damage resistance

Leanderthal
2010-08-10, 06:57 PM
Hi,

While creating a character for GURPS 4e, I noticed something about the Damage Resistance advantage, notably the partial limitation for it.

I wanted a character that had DR on most (not all) parts of his body. However, i soon found out that, pointwise, it is way cheaper to buy overal DR than DR for each limb/bodypart.

for example, say you want a character who has DR 2 on his lower body (legs+feet+groin), his right arm(+hand) and the right side of his head (not sure how to do this, double the limitation value and let a dice decide on random head hits? any suggestions?).

The cost for this would be 8(legs)+6(feet)+7(groin)+6(1 arm)+2(1 hand): total 29 points (not including the head DR), opposed to buying overal DR 2 for 10 points (and that covers everything except the eyes).
looks like i would be way better off just buying overal DR than partial DR.

so i was thinking: this is kinda unlogic, isn't there a more 'balanced' way?

any thoughts?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-10, 07:49 PM
Nah, it’s sort of a bulk discount. It can also be seen as encouragement to keep your character sheet a bit more simple rather than wasting time and space for every part of your body. There are a number of other advantages that behave simlarly. In some cases, the book even points it out.

Lord Vampyre
2010-08-10, 08:05 PM
Yeah, your better off just buying the overall DR, and then just putting the parts that aren't covered in your write-up. This would give the GM the option to take advantage of your Achilles' heel.

Besides I would shoot my players, if they made me have to constantly keep in mind whether I was attacking the left side of their head or the right side.

Also, you could speak with the GM. It might be reasonable to allow a 10% discount for it not being total coverage. Particularly due to the fact that your not covering the chest which is the more common target.

Leanderthal
2010-08-11, 08:23 AM
It can also be seen as encouragement to keep your character sheet a bit more simple rather than wasting time and space for every part of your body
true enough.

Besides I would shoot my players, if they made me have to constantly keep in mind whether I was attacking the left side of their head or the right side.
hehe, yeh i guess you're right about that :smallbiggrin:

It might be reasonable to allow a 10% discount for it not being total coverage.
that's a good idea (why didn't I think of that? :smallconfused:). I'll suggest that to my GM, will see what happens.

Thanks for the replies