PDA

View Full Version : Jackle's Big thread o' Mawile (PEACH)

Jackle
2010-08-10, 09:10 PM
I came up with the idea of people being able to play as pokemon a really long time ago, back when I was first into DnD, and long before I found the Pokemon d20 system. While the poke-d20 is good, it wasn't what I wanted. Thus, I turn to myself to preform the act to end all acts: Making a pokemon race.

Now, onto the pokemon I chose to focus upon, which also happens to be my favorite pokemon. This was a particularly hard one to do, because juggling a crucial, if gimmicky, bite attack was kinda necessary.

Mawile
http://i34.tinypic.com/152kz04.png

Racial Information (Optional, 'cause it's huge =P)
Mawiles are a small, but extremely strong, race from an alternate Material Plane, brought here against their will by the villainous Neogi over a millennium ago. They tend to have no predisposed temperament, much like humans; however, they all love the idea of adventure—though they kind of adventure mostly depends on the individual. For most Mawiles, this never truly becomes a problem in their everyday lives. For the rest, it usually means a life of traveling.
Personality: Though each Mawile is an individual, both genders have certain common quirks. Most female Mawiles are tomboys, with a stronger sense of adventure than the males. Most male Mawiles tend to worry, and as such, are less prone to adventuring. This, coupled with the gender stereotypes of certain other races, makes some believe that all Mawiles are gender confused; however, this is untrue. Rather, they merely have a society that favors females in positions of power that involve direct conflict and major impacts on the community ((Such as General or President by our modern-day standings...)), and males in the remaining positions of power.
Physical Description: Mawiles range in height from 2-3 feet tall, and generally are much heavier than they look, weighing 30-55 lbs, with females being slightly taller and heavier than males on average. Most Mawiles have yellow skin with black markings; however, pink or blue markings are uncommon. They have no true hair, but most have craggy, steely scales on their heads that resemble hair. These scales are also present on their legs. The most distinctive feature of a Mawile is what appears to be a large, gaping maw on the ponytail-like feature on the back of its head. These are not true jaws, but modified horns that have evolved over time. Do not be fooled by this fact, as they are very much functional enough to “bite” through bone, or even plate mail. Mawiles are somewhat longer lived than humans, but shorter lived than some other races. Their maximum age tends to be ~135 years, and they usually start adventuring at a young age, usually 16-17 years.
Relations: Most Mawiles live in secluded cave communities, which closely replicate their chosen homes back on their original material plane. They get along very well with other underground dwelling species, especially Dwarves.
Alignment: Most Mawiles, despite their differing personalities, tend towards good as a whole. They tend towards chaos and law in equal amounts; however, one is more likely to be chaotic good or lawful good than neutral good. Counting Mawiles of all alignments, they tend to favor the extremes, but anything is possible.
Lands: Most Mawile Communities have very little land to speak of, but what they do have they make the best of. Though they don’t prefer cramped conditions over open space, and as their population increases at a steady rate, new homes have to be built wherever there is space.
In addition to their own smaller communities, growing populations of Mawiles are steadily moving to Dwarven lands.
Religion: Mawiles all pay homage to Arceus, the deity of their home plane. In addition, they may also take up worship of minor gods of metal. Mawiles in Dwarven communities usually pay some homage to Moradin. Evil Mawiles usually worship Erythnul or Hextor.
Language: Mawiles have learned to speak common, for the most part. They also have their own language, Mawile, which sounds like growling. Most Mawiles also learn Dwarven.
Names: Most Mawiles have simple “names” in common, as the concept of naming was foreign to them until they reached their current pocket of the Material plane. Most Mawilish names are chosen by the individual when they come of age at 15 years old. Names genrally show beneficial physical traits or have negative implications of what will happen to their enemies. “Last names” are always the city in which the particular Mawile was born, and may be in Dwarven, Common, or Mawile.
Common Names: Gnash, Sharpteeth, Heartstriker, Chomp
Adventuring: Most Mawiles who adventure are either searching for power or adventuring out of wanderlust. The race in general is prone to long for adventure from time to time, and Adventurers make up about 20% of the population.

Mawile Racial Traits:
Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Str, -2 Dex. Mawiles are strong, but not very dexterous.
Small: As a Small creature, a Mawile gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Mawile Base Land speed is 20 ft.
Though the scales on their legs would indicate otherwise, Mawiles can wear armor without penalty.
Bite: Mawiles have a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage and can only be used on foes behind them. This limitation also applies to foes that provoke attacks of opportunity.
Sweet Scent (SP): Mawiles can secrete a pleasant aroma from their pores. Doing this is a swift action. This aroma is actually a chemical that slows down reaction time, effectively imposing a -1 dodge penalty to the AC of all opponents in 30 ft for 2 minutes. Mawiles may do this effect 1/day. In addition, they may also recreate a daze effect 1/day by concentrating the pheromones on one person while the effect is active, which costs them a standard action. This ends the effect for all other foes that had their AC lowered (But not the target of the daze).
Astonish (EX): In a surprise round, all of a Mawile’s attacks deal an additional 1d3 damage.
Automatic Languages: Common, Mawile.
Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Draconic, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Fighter ((or Warblade, if using ToB))

As you can see, I had to fudge on the lore. A lot. I certainly know I captured the idea I had in mind for them, so I am pleased. Never fear, Class raters, I plan on doing a few PRCs in the near future once I get a few reviews and recommendations.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-10, 09:13 PM
Would this be for a Mystery Dungeon like game then?

I'd also ignore standard DnD fluff. A lot of it doesnt transate well at all.

Siosilvar
2010-08-10, 09:17 PM
"Behind" isn't used in D&D. Facing is specifically an optional rule.

Jackle
2010-08-10, 09:18 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of standard DnD, with standard DnD races, just including a race that happened to be a pokemon. Their Fluff Backstory is meant to explain why they're here and not in the Pokemon world. ((For the unknowing: Neogi are Evil abberations from an alternate material plane. I just thought it fit well to have them relocate some of the species. =P))

If you wish to use them for a mystery dungeon game, go right ahead. I would love to see a game make use of them if they're balanced. =)

EDIT: Huh. My DM uses Facing as a constant. I just assumed that it was always in place. My bad. I guess that you could make the bite usable only as a single, primary attack if you weren't using facing. IE: You can't attack with a weapon and take a -5 penalty on the bite. You can only do that when you get multiple attacks.

Temotei
2010-08-10, 09:28 PM
Astonish should probably work regardless of sneak attack, sudden strike, etc. Restricting a player for choosing rogue is just...:smallyuk:

imp_fireball
2010-08-10, 09:56 PM
Would this be for a Mystery Dungeon like game then?

I'd also ignore standard DnD fluff. A lot of it doesnt transate well at all.

Making it a magical beast would probably suit the fluff perfectly.

That anatomy is impossible without it being magical. I mean c'mon.

Jackle
2010-08-10, 10:19 PM
@Temotei: My reasoning is that a first level rogue could do 9 damage with a good roll during a surprise round. However, I now think I get where you're coming from...I'll take that line of text out.

@imp_fireball: They aren't Magical beasts by my standard. Besides, Monstrous humanoid covers anything both monstrous/magical and Humanoid in my book. Heck, aberration would be closer than magical beast, they can at least be humanoid in shape. =)