PDA

View Full Version : Battle for middle earth 2

Stabber
2010-08-10, 10:01 PM
Was just wondering what poeple thought of the game? I liked it, but sections of the campaign where difficult.

Zevox
2010-08-10, 10:53 PM
Haven't played it in quite a while, but I enjoyed it. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's a decent LotR RTS. Don't recall having much trouble with the campaign though - not until the expansion at least.

Zevox

warty goblin
2010-08-10, 11:04 PM
One of my favorite RTSs for the ridiculously fun skirmish mode. Never really played the campaign, but then I've never found a traditional RTS campaign that I liked so that's no surprise.

Eloel
2010-08-11, 03:25 PM
I made a friend buy it, so I could play proper 2v2 games online.

I love it.

dresdor
2010-08-11, 03:32 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the first BFME, and have the second, but I've only played a bit of it. I got it for xbox, which was a mistake, as the controls aren't smooth as they would be on a PC. I did like the begining of the campaign and the other bits I've played though, except for the controls.

Tyrant
2010-08-12, 01:29 PM
I liked both of the games. I liked the larger armies of the first and I enjoyed that upgrades, levels, etc carried over from one battle to another if you kept using the same army. I also liked that I had the option to initiate the final battle or to keep on conquering everything. The second did have better graphics and I know there were some other upsides to it but I didn't play it as long (in terms of time spent playing, I finished the campaigns of both). I haven't finished the exapnsion yet though. I hit one mission that finally stopped me and after giving it a few tries I stopped and I haven't gone back to it yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new one with the best features of both (larger armies and levels/upgrades carrying over along with even better graphics and longer campaigns) though I am not sure what else could be done with it. Different ages of Middle Earth maybe?

Zevox
2010-08-12, 02:31 PM
though I am not sure what else could be done with it. Different ages of Middle Earth maybe?
Don't bet on it. LotR games basically all stick to the titular books - or rather, the movie versions of those. We're probably extremely lucky they actually dug up the war between Angmar and the fractured kingdoms of Arnor for the expansion to BfME2.

Zevox

Stabber
2010-08-16, 01:30 PM
Haven't played it in quite a while, but I enjoyed it. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's a decent LotR RTS. Don't recall having much trouble with the campaign though - not until the expansion at least.

Zevox

I agree with the expansions campaign being difficult. However, on BFME2, I am stuck on the good campiagn level, where as the dwarves you must defend the city of Dale. I beat the first to waves fine, but was demolished on the third wave, wich consisted of all trolls! Any tips would be appreciated.

Arcanoi
2010-08-16, 01:34 PM
I agree with the expansions campaign being difficult. However, on BFME2, I am stuck on the good campiagn level, where as the dwarves you must defend the city of Dale. I beat the first to waves fine, but was demolished on the third wave, wich consisted of all trolls! Any tips would be appreciated.

You control the entire map at the start, so pump out a couple of extra workers and just build as many farms as you can. Then build craploads of layered walls with catapults and towers and a couple fortresses and the enemy will just break themselves on them, so long as you keep it in good repair. Be ready for the Rhun attack from the Northwest and the Troll attack from the Southeast.

warty goblin
2010-08-16, 01:36 PM

Trolls roll over and die horribly to pikes - particularly upgraded - and ranged units. A couple phalanxes does wonders at keeping the ambient troll population down. Towers are also a nice investment.

Calmar
2010-08-17, 02:49 PM
I like it a lot. :smallsmile:

But it's a quite tough game. A fiend and me got quite out of practice after not playing for a few months.

Rise of the Witch King is also very good and improves Mordor quite a bit - the giant Mumakils now being virtually helpless against the lowly Rohan spearmen (and other guys with pikes), is a drawback, though.

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 02:56 PM
Was just wondering what poeple thought of the game? I liked it, but sections of the campaign where difficult.

I found it entertaining. Disappointed with hero creation, but otherwise found it OK. Found the campaign rather easy.

J.Gellert
2010-08-18, 01:06 AM
I liked it for the skirmish mode and the interesting multiplayer. I was playing seriously competetive games for a long while and it was fun. Not close to anything resembling a balanced game, but great fun. Go elves!

I didn't care very much for Hero Creation and the expansion just seemed like a miserable attempt (a handful of old units without new models - almost all were recolors of old ones). The hero units of Isengard and Dwarves, for example, were using "create-a-hero" models...

Basically, Rise of the Witch-King was a typical "fast cash" game, I couldn't imagine Electronic Arts had spent many working hours on it. I thought Lord of the Rings deserved something more.

Then I made this mod for it, which rocks, if I may say so. I started out by fixing a few bugs and proceeded to make a huge changelist. Working on that was very exciting, so in the end the best part about the game is probably its moddability.

http://elflordsmod.wordpress.com/

Stabber
2010-08-31, 10:20 AM
Thanks a lot for all the tips! thanks.

Istari
2010-08-31, 10:23 AM
I have the base game and I really enjoy skirmish mode, some things in the game aren't the best designed, but it is fun.

Jeivar
2010-08-31, 12:24 PM
This game has a lot going for it, but I was disappointed in the AI. The skirmish mode could have been really fun, but the enemy never tried anything more complex than building a medium-size force of average units and throwing them at my base. The battles always felt more like tests of endurance and resource gathering than actual strategy.

Stabber
2010-08-31, 04:44 PM
I thought it was annoying how the enemy never made heros to fight you.

Jeivar
2010-08-31, 05:15 PM
I thought it was annoying how the enemy never made heros to fight you.

Well, they never made impressive heroes. Always just the cheap ones that could be made quickly.

Gamerlord
2010-08-31, 06:04 PM
This game has a lot going for it, but I was disappointed in the AI. The skirmish mode could have been really fun, but the enemy never tried anything more complex than building a medium-size force of average units and throwing them at my base. The battles always felt more like tests of endurance and resource gathering than actual strategy. farming.
Fixed. :smalltongue:
Seriously though, my "Tactics" were always "Play goblins, grab that ring power that lets you earn monies from dead enemies ASAP, turtle, farm any force that attacks for ring power points, then unleash ultimate attack on enemy castle."

Prince Gimli
2010-08-31, 06:15 PM
I didn't find the RotWK campaign that difficult. Sure, some missions were challenging, and some were simply tiresome battles of attrition. I never bothered to play the BFME 2 campaigns beyond the first one or two missions. The only thing preventing it from being just another RTS campaign is the LoTR flavor.

I agree RotWK could have been better, but at least Angmar is a fun faction to play, though it can't beat the old favorite Mordor in my book.

That being said, is there any way to repair structures outside of the Evenstar power? I could never find one.

Stabber
2010-08-31, 06:24 PM
I didn't find the RotWK campaign that difficult. Sure, some missions were challenging, and some were simply tiresome battles of attrition. I never bothered to play the BFME 2 campaigns beyond the first one or two missions. The only thing preventing it from being just another RTS campaign is the LoTR flavor.

I agree RotWK could have been better, but at least Angmar is a fun faction to play, though it can't beat the old favorite Mordor in my book.

That being said, is there any way to repair structures outside of the Evenstar power? I could never find one.

If you use builders to out water onto any fires, after a while i belive if the building is at its max level it heals itself after a time.

J.Gellert
2010-08-31, 07:57 PM
Buildings regenerate if left alone.

The AI just couldn't be fixed. Stuff like making Heroes - that was moddable, and very doable. Same with "general strategy". But still, the AI could never micromanage... So their cavalry would always run into pikemen, for example.