PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Fighter Build

Imbasel
2010-08-10, 11:15 PM
I've recently made a couple of characters for games around here. I want to make a straight fighter. My basic concept is that I'm the classic hero with a longsword and shield. The type of build I'm looking for is to make a hero who can disarm, trip, and totally destroy people in one on one combat. I want to do it using these weapons and only using medium armor. I know it may not be the most effective build,but I've always envisioned a sword/shield warrior disarming his opponents. Does anybody have any tips for me? Also, any tactics on how to fight in battle?

Faleldir
2010-08-10, 11:17 PM
I know it may not be the most effective build, but I want the flavor of it to be like this.
I know it may not be the most effective apple, but I want the orange of it to be like this.

Eldariel
2010-08-10, 11:26 PM
So, Fighter with Longsword & Shield... I hope you don't have a party to protect. First, I suggest you pick up some Shield-related feats:
- Shield Ward [PHBII]
- Shield Slam [CWar]
- Shield Charge [CWar]

Then, your Longsword-stuff
- Combat Expertise
- Improved Trip
- Knock-Down [SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown)]
- Improved Disarm

Probably Zhentarim Fighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) with Imperious Command [DoTU] to be able to intimidate people too.

Pick up Jotunbrud [PGtF] for bonuses to opposed checks, and profit. I guess you'll need to figure out how you deal damage with your Longsword too. Really, I'd just go Crusader [ToB] but that's just me. Same concept, no need for much work, does everything necessary out of the box.

Imbasel
2010-08-10, 11:27 PM
Ok, thanks for the input.

Escheton
2010-08-10, 11:42 PM
The problem with this is that you get more crunch with twohanded weapons, disarm wise. Well, everything-wise but whatever.

So unless you are disarming goblins out of daggers you will simply fail a lot.
And fail has a bad flavor, no matter how you spin it.

Sword and board is great when fighting in enclosed spaces and you are in for protracted battles where ac and positioning is crucial, not just important.
Therefore most fighters will have a tunneltankset on them but use other methods when this isn't the best tactic.

Fighters have the feats to have different tools for every situation.

The crunch of what you want is probably more a warblade/swordsage.

Edelweiss
2010-09-09, 05:13 PM
Well since the description of the Fighter is almost exactly the same as that of the Warblade and they do the same thing. Nevermind. To play sword and board fighter takes dedication, to your class and your fighting style. I enjoy the range enchant on a shield, I think it has built in returning(?) so you can make a ranged attack when you need to without switching weapons, although you won't get the AC bonus from your shield for the rest of the round. That's just from the being overprepared mindset I had when I tried to play sword and board. I personally did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Player3
2010-09-10, 05:37 AM
You could also go Improved Shield Bash and TWF.

Greenish
2010-09-10, 08:11 AM
You could also go Improved Shield Bash and TWF Agile Shield Fighter (PHBII).Fixed that for you. No Dex requirement, -2 penalty even with heavy shield (that you can also PA with).

Critical
2010-09-10, 09:30 AM
Obiligatory Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)