PDA

View Full Version : Name for a Pirate King [My party, you know the drill.]

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 08:42 AM
I am designing a "Pirate King" lich for my campaign, but I'm struggling for a name for him. He was Human, and collected and scattered many artifacts before his death, when he became a Lich.

Thoughts?

Shademan
2010-08-11, 08:45 AM
Captain Scurvy?
Captain Shark mandrake!
naw I dunno. Sounds fun tho'. pirate lich... pretty awesome

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 08:47 AM
Captain Scurvy?
Captain Shark mandrake!
naw I dunno. Sounds fun tho'. pirate lich... pretty awesome

Picture if you will Barbosa in "Pirates of the Carribean: The Black Pearl" when he looks skeletal. Then add rotting flesh, burning fires in the eyes and cruelty that knows no bounds, and voilá!

Marillion
2010-08-11, 09:23 AM
The Dread Pirate Roberts. :smalltongue:

Captain Reis?

Dizlag
2010-08-11, 09:29 AM
You should be able to find a good name from this list of Famous Pirates (http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/famous-pirates.htm). :smallsmile:

Dizlag

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-11, 09:39 AM
Gol D. Roger

OMG PONIES
2010-08-11, 09:50 AM
Captain Neverdead
Capitaine Cauchermar d'Marche (I think it translates to "walking nightmare," but my French is no good...I cheated with Google)
Captain Bonefinger
Captain Blackskull
Capitaine Roi De La Mort (bad Google translation again...King of the Dead in French)
Capitan Rey De Los Muertos (Google again, if you prefer a Spanish conquistador flavor to the above)
Captain Nightshark

One thing I like to do is tack folk titles onto the end of an important NPC's name. Some Examples:
The Sleepless Sailor (possible title to tack onto another name)
The Unblinking Eye
The Collecting Corpse

So you could wind up with a name like Captain Neverdead, the Sleepless Sailor or Capitaine Roi De La Mort, the Unblinking Eye.

Caliphbubba
2010-08-11, 09:59 AM
Commodore Reginald Fenwick-Smythe, the gentleman pirate-lich.

With his alterego of "The Viridian Tumult"

He is a very erudite gentleman, prim and proper until you anger him then he flies into a rage kicking up the sea around his enemies into a maelstrom of destruction which gave him his nick name.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-08-11, 10:32 AM
How about Arjym Ladd? (for giggles, give him a sister Cheryl...)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-11, 10:34 AM
Gol D. Roger

Curse you Atlantean Troll... I was gonna say that...

Marshal D. Tech?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 02:36 PM
Captain Neverdead
Capitaine Cauchermar d'Marche (I think it translates to "walking nightmare," but my French is no good...I cheated with Google)
Captain Bonefinger
Captain Blackskull
Capitaine Roi De La Mort (bad Google translation again...King of the Dead in French)
Capitan Rey De Los Muertos (Google again, if you prefer a Spanish conquistador flavor to the above)
Captain Nightshark

One thing I like to do is tack folk titles onto the end of an important NPC's name. Some Examples:
The Sleepless Sailor (possible title to tack onto another name)
The Unblinking Eye
The Collecting Corpse

So you could wind up with a name like Captain Neverdead, the Sleepless Sailor or Capitaine Roi De La Mort, the Unblinking Eye.

I like a lot of these ideas :smallbiggrin: Thank you OMG PONIES :smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2010-08-11, 02:53 PM
You're welcome! I'm just glad you liked them as much as I liked thinking them up!

sciencepanda
2010-08-11, 02:55 PM
Captain Thaddeus Von Drake
Captain Madbeard
Captain Victor Dreadwaters
Dashing Pirate Jenkins

Morph Bark
2010-08-11, 02:59 PM
I currently have a pirate campaign going with a Pirate King, though he is alive and a good guy.

A major villain is a pretty influential pirate too, though. His name is William "Deadpan" Coburg. Perhaps that is fitting?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-11, 03:02 PM
Actual name? given name? Self-given name? What's his personality, if it's not the first case?

Ponderthought
2010-08-11, 03:05 PM
I ran a campaign centered around Wilhem Madblaze, a pirate kind that made a deal with infernal powers to extend his life. Your certainly welcome to the name.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-11, 04:40 PM
Admiral Jerky

true_shinken
2010-08-11, 04:44 PM
Portgas D. Ace.

herrhauptmann
2010-08-11, 04:47 PM
Portgas D. Ace.

Okay, if we're gonna keep going from that one, why not an inversion?
(Vice) Admiral Garp. aka "Hero" Garp. Could be especially good if you're using a pirate who once was a respected man of the navy

Zen Master
2010-08-11, 04:47 PM
Picture if you will Barbosa in "Pirates of the Carribean: The Black Pearl" when he looks skeletal. Then add rotting flesh, burning fires in the eyes and cruelty that knows no bounds, and voilá!

What - you mean LeChuck (http://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wolfstad.com/wp-content/2006/lechuck.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wolfstad.com/2006/06/pirates-of-the-caribbean-2-a-rip-off-of-monkey-island/&h=292&w=425&sz=47&tbnid=2kOhuKLAw_gbwM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlechuck&usg=__elZp1LHEk8qCWt6sfMXEepUh-lA=&sa=X&ei=QRpjTMPxLs-lOL2ekMMK&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAw)?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 04:48 PM
What - you mean LeChuck (http://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wolfstad.com/wp-content/2006/lechuck.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wolfstad.com/2006/06/pirates-of-the-caribbean-2-a-rip-off-of-monkey-island/&h=292&w=425&sz=47&tbnid=2kOhuKLAw_gbwM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlechuck&usg=__elZp1LHEk8qCWt6sfMXEepUh-lA=&sa=X&ei=QRpjTMPxLs-lOL2ekMMK&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAw)?

Almost exactly, yes :smallbiggrin:

Thiyr
2010-08-11, 04:51 PM
Atomsk

...Okay, okay, wrong kind of Pirate King.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-11, 04:53 PM
Atomsk

...Okay, okay, wrong kind of Pirate King.

Well played, well played.

Throw my vote for just an epitaph like "He who lurks beneath the waves." No name. Maybe his minions refer to him as "Master of the Currents" or some such.

the humanity
2010-08-11, 05:08 PM
Captain Tobias Yale, aka Toby the Doom Sower.

his ship should be his phylactery, that'd be beastly.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 05:10 PM
Captain Tobias Yale, aka Toby the Doom Sower.

His ship should be his phylactery, that'd be beastly.

That has got to be one of the best ideas I've ever heard! An amulet or a ring or something, sure it's hard to find but easy to destroy. A SHIP? Whole other story :smallsmile: Sure you can sink a ship, but sinking it doesn't mean destroying it, it just means you've damaged it. You would have to chop up so many different parts of it to make it cease functioning.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Critical
2010-08-11, 05:12 PM
Captain Boneleg, being Captain Woodenleg before becoming a lich. :smallbiggrin:

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-11, 05:13 PM
What other defining features other than the lich thing? The legends could be obfuscating his lichdom. Like if he casts flesh to stone then a contingent stone to flesh to go off once the body hits the ocean floor, he could have a name relating to his cruetly rather than his deadness.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 05:16 PM
What other defining features other than the lich thing? The legends could be obfuscating his lichdom. Like if he casts flesh to stone then a contingent stone to flesh to go off once the body hits the ocean floor, he could have a name relating to his cruetly rather than his deadness.

He's just about as Evil as you can get. A sadistic, twisted, cruel being, feared for decades before his death and Lichdom. In unlife he was even more terrifying, taking ships by force and then making those who resist him die in ever more twisted manners. He sent rival captains to their graves trapped as figureheads on the ships they commanded, etc.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-08-11, 05:16 PM
Captain Bloodcrow.

Not my idea but a fellow player once named her pirate that and I must say it is a dastardly sounding name IMO.

the humanity
2010-08-11, 05:17 PM
That has got to be one of the best ideas I've ever heard! An amulet or a ring or something, sure it's hard to find but easy to destroy. A SHIP? Whole other story :smallsmile: Sure you can sink a ship, but sinking it doesn't mean destroying it, it just means you've damaged it. You would have to chop up so many different parts of it to make it cease functioning.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

could you imagine the RAAAGE if your PC's jack it (and if it's a flying ship or some other thing you'd expect for a lich pirate captain, they'll consider it) you could have a whole side adventure on it...:smallbiggrin:

most captains are pretty nuts when you steal their ship but wowza.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 05:20 PM
could you imagine the RAAAGE if your PC's jack it (and if it's a flying ship or some other thing you'd expect for a lich pirate captain, they'll consider it) you could have a whole side adventure on it...:smallbiggrin:

most captains are pretty nuts when you steal their ship but wowza.

I'm thinking the ship can do the whole complete submerge thing that the Flying Dutchman does in POTC: AWE.

Imagine if it was also Intelligent... The most terrifying lich ever :smallamused:

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-11, 09:08 PM
Captain Bloodcrow.

Not my idea but a fellow player once named her pirate that and I must say it is a dastardly sounding name IMO.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkAgeOfSupernames

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-11, 09:19 PM
Wikileaks

I mean

4chan

Uhm

Gol D. Roger
I said that already.
Captain Curly Bead, the scourge of hair stylists everywhere

Crafty Cultist
2010-08-11, 09:40 PM
Captain Nightshade Grim

I can also think of a few good names for a ship

The Deathly Tide
The Reign of Fire
The Moonshadow

Elfin
2010-08-11, 09:58 PM
Morndrak (X)reaver?
X could be anything: Sea, Wave, Land, Night, etc.

Morph Bark
2010-08-12, 04:02 AM
I'm thinking the ship can do the whole complete submerge thing that the Flying Dutchman does in POTC: AWE.

Imagine if it was also Intelligent... The most terrifying lich ever :smallamused:

Either Stormwrack or Spell Compendium has a spell that does exactly that, though the ship's occupants would also be protected against drowning too, I think. Perhaps something like that could happen as a contingent spell when the lich dies, only to resurface once he regenerates?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-12, 07:52 AM
My idea is that over 4 centuries ago, the Pirate King was the scourge of the seas. He was known for his brutality, his ruthlessness and his greed. Then, he began to amass a collection of artifacts of his own creation, ranging in power from the Anduan Mirror (Allowed Lieutenants to cast Sending 1/day), to the Ring of Destruction (Basically allowed wearer to cast Disintegrate at will :smalleek:). He turned himself into a Lich through dark rituals in order to continue his mastery of the oceans through death itself.

Then he vanished.

The artifacts remain, and two of my PCs (Pirate brothers) are trying to collect the artifacts to become the next Pirate King.