PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Tummy Aches?

Itous
2010-08-11, 10:02 AM
are there any? if so can someone point me in the right direction please.

Itous

Eloel
2010-08-11, 10:12 AM
are there any? if so can someone point me in the right direction please.

Itous

Rule 0 details tummy aches.

Yora
2010-08-11, 10:25 AM
"You don't fell well. It has no effect on any of your abilities."

Comet
2010-08-11, 10:29 AM
I'm guessing you're talking about D&D.
D&D is about heroes. Heroes don't have tummy aches :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2010-08-11, 10:31 AM
Take two aspirin every eight hours. That's the rule I normally follow.

Oh, you meant D&D? Treat it as a shaken or nauseated condition if severe enough.

Milskidasith
2010-08-11, 10:45 AM

Oh, you meant D&D? Treat it as a shaken or nauseated condition if severe enough.

Err... constant nauseated is a complete inability to take any actions, including movement. I don't think anything weaker than appendicitis (and, for heroes, maybe not even that) would do that.

lesser_minion
2010-08-11, 10:55 AM
The DM is well within his rights to impose penalties of his own devising on players who actually try to pull the Church of Universal Ignorance off in game.

The most obvious way to do this would be the favourable/unfavourable circumstances rules (for things like not bathing). For not eating except once every three days, you can have the character begin starving anyway, or introduce rules

As for eating ten ice cream sundaes in a single sitting, just have the character become sickened for a day or so.

Interestingly, while 4th edition didn't add rules for tummyaches, it did make some effort to tighten up the starvation and thirst rules, although I don't think the Universal Ignorance loophole actually did get closed.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-11, 11:17 AM
Err... constant nauseated is a complete inability to take any actions, including movement. I don't think anything weaker than appendicitis (and, for heroes, maybe not even that) would do that.

I'm pretty sure that Ash meant sickened instead of nauseated.

Lysander
2010-08-11, 11:19 AM
This seems to make the most sense:

Sickened
The character takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Ashtagon
2010-08-11, 12:11 PM

Depends how severe the tummy ache is :smallwink:

Milskidasith
2010-08-11, 12:51 PM
Depends how severe the tummy ache is :smallwink:

No, no stomach ache is enough to totally prevent somebody from even moving, unless it is appendicitis, which qualifies as a stomach ache the same way that a nuke counts as a projectile weapon.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-11, 12:52 PM
No, no stomach ache is enough to totally prevent somebody from even moving, unless it is appendicitis, which qualifies as a stomach ache the same way that a nuke counts as a projectile weapon.

If your running a low leveled campaign it should be plausible a stomach ache could do some harm.

Milskidasith
2010-08-11, 12:55 PM
If your running a low leveled campaign it should be plausible a stomach ache could do some harm.

I am not saying it couldn't. I am saying that complete inability to move from your location is not something a stomachache could plausibly cause.

Temotei
2010-08-11, 12:57 PM
I am not saying it couldn't. I am saying that complete inability to move from your location is not something a stomachache could plausibly cause.

Agreed. Even while throwing up, you can move fairly easily. It's more a matter of will than physical detriment. If you're going to use the nauseated condition, provide a low Will saving throw to be able to move and perhaps perform certain actions.

lesser_minion
2010-08-11, 01:07 PM

For serious cases of food poisoning, I could see a character being completely bedridden. In this case, it's more like

:elan: "I ate sixteen cakes and now I feel sick :smallfrown:", which certainly doesn't qualify.

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-11, 01:14 PM
:smallconfused: Uh, what?

Nauseated

Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

Uh, this seems pretty appropriate for serious tummy aches to me. Where are you getting the whole "can't move" thing from? The condition is perfect for anyone throwing up, or something similar. From personal experience, I have IBD, and when I get attacks of it, I sure as hell can't do anything requiring a standard action.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-11, 03:48 PM
What do you people eat?!?

lesser_minion
2010-08-11, 03:58 PM
What do you people eat?!?

?

Nauseated means that a character is actively puking his guts up. Probably not going to happen to :elan: any time soon.

"Tummy aches" amount to :elan: eating six ice creams and twelve cupcakes and regretting it later (the source of "there are no rules for tummyaches" is an OotS strip that was published in Dragon magazine, which also introduced us to a character guy who never sleeps, only eats disgusting gruel once every three days, and never bathes, because they "only have any effect in fluff terms").

Kiren
2010-08-11, 04:37 PM
Great heroes get tummy aches, just look at MGS4.

Gamblerjoe
2010-08-11, 10:26 PM
heres my 2cp

"nauseaded" is just their (less repulsive) way of saying "currently in the act of puking your guts out." therefore, it is a condition that rarely lasts for more than 1 round. if it does last for a while (a swarm u cant get away from etc.) then assume that at some point you are just dry heaving.

being in pain is another thing. as someone stated, dnd is about heroes, they dont let pain hold them back. pain that is extremely severe just gives them minuses, which they badass their way through.

symbol of pain is -4 to attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. im surprised it doesnt apply to saves too. since this is magical pain, that doesnt actually damage or permanently debilitate a character, you can figure it to be the equivalent of the worst pain one can feel without passing out. maybe worse, since heroes dont pass out from pain. im thinking like getting burned, ripping off a fingernail, that kind of stuff, but throughout your whole body.

if you want to adjucate in some regular kind of pain (which is the kind of stuff you dont see enough of really) for a specific scenario. maybe a PC is escaping from a torture chamber, and is still in lingering pain from what they did. maybe they cought a mundane disease or poison that has severe pain as a side effect (like black widow poison irl.) anyway, id make it -2 for stuff like this.

tummy aches would be a -1. this is assuming that its not just a little bit of gas or a cramp that a hero could just ignore.

another idea is that you could take the bloodied idea from 4.0 and twist it to suit your interest. the simplest way to do it would be to say that 1/2 hp is bloodied, and all bloodied creatures that can feel pain suffer -2 "pain" penalty to stuff.

also remember that going too hard on pain rules will just make everyone play warforged. all hail the metal lord!

edit: i just had a thought. adventurers are allways doing the kind of stuff that causes tummy aches: skipping breakfast, getting hungover, drinking nasty tasting, some times extremely acidic or alkaline potions, etc. so i thought, what would cause a tummy ache? the op probably has something specific in mind, but i wanted to think of some for my own use. add herbs to the world that the players can harvest. let the herbs have certain effects, but cause a tummy ache, either briefly when the herb is ingested, or after the effects wear off. allow craft (alchemy) checks to increase the positive effects while decreasing or eliminating the negative effects. rarer herbs could have better effects, but more severe side effects like severe pain, ability damage, neg levels etc.

Lev
2010-08-11, 10:35 PM
Generally I'd rule that the lightest of stomach pains would add +1 to the dc of concentration checks when they are made.
Then depending on if it's a stabbing pain, a dull pain or a nauseating pain I'd shoot off into these:
Stabbing:
Make a fort save every (so often) or make a concentration check (dc whatever), if you fail then you cannot do things that require concentration that round and act as sickened until the next fort save.

Dull:
Sickened, +dc (whatever) concentration checks when they are made.

Nauseating:
Sickened, +dc (whatever) concentration checks when they are made, make a fort save every (so often) or make a concentration check (dc whatever), if you fail then you are nauseated and act as nauseated until the next fort save.

There are many different types of stomach pains including tapeworms, ulcers, food poisoning, pointy thing impaling it, ect.

Itous
2010-08-15, 06:43 PM
ok after reading responses this is what i have come up with, its not much, maybe someone might be able to help out with some more ideas?

enjoy

Rules for Tummy Aches
After a night of drinking at the inn the party will naturally consume food over the night, it is easiest to remove 1 gold and 5 silver from their list if this is their choice and have them make a fortitude save to see how well they handled themselves DC 25 failure to meet this results in the following

Total Faliure Roll: aka if the total lands anywhere below a 25 check the table below for effects
Nat 1: food poisoning / Alcohol Posioning
Player cannot move for a whole week, is constantly sick and needs medical aid.
2 – 5: Bed Stricken
The Player cannot move at all and is held in bed with gutwrenching pain and can move at only 5ft per round as a full round action and is unable to attack
6 – 10 Sick
Can move at 10ft per round but suffers from chronic vomiting can move as a move action but vomits, making them falling prone, using their standard action and both free actions
11-15 Nausiated
30ft move rate as a full round action, cannot walk in a straight line due to dizziness roll 1d8 to determine direction. Circumstancial -10 to everything +4 to all DC’s
16-20 Giddy
As giddy but with a circumstancial -4 to everything + 2 to all DC’s for that PC
21-24 Queezy
Takes a circumstancial -2 to everything if doing a full round action such as full attack or a spell + quickened spell must make a DC 20 fort save or be ill immediately afterwards

i hope it makes sense that if you fail the check you look at the list to determin how bad they have it, obviously the lower the score the worse it is.

Itous

Milskidasith
2010-08-15, 09:11 PM
ok after reading responses this is what i have come up with, its not much, maybe someone might be able to help out with some more ideas?

enjoy

Rules for Tummy Aches
After a night of drinking at the inn the party will naturally consume food over the night, it is easiest to remove 1 gold and 5 silver from their list if this is their choice and have them make a fortitude save to see how well they handled themselves DC 25 failure to meet this results in the following

Total Faliure Roll: aka if the total lands anywhere below a 25 check the table below for effects
The Player cannot move at all and is held in bed with gutwrenching pain and can move at only 5ft per round as a full round action and is unable to attack
6 – 10 Sick
Can move at 10ft per round but suffers from chronic vomiting can move as a move action but vomits, making them falling prone, using their standard action and both free actions
11-15 Nausiated
30ft move rate as a full round action, cannot walk in a straight line due to dizziness roll 1d8 to determine direction. Circumstancial -10 to everything +4 to all DC’s
16-20 Giddy
21-24 Queezy
Takes a circumstancial -2 to everything if doing a full round action such as full attack or a spell + quickened spell must make a DC 20 fort save or be ill immediately afterwards

i hope it makes sense that if you fail the check you look at the list to determin how bad they have it, obviously the lower the score the worse it is.

Itous

A DC 25... what? If it's fort save, that makes no sense. People don't have to be superhumanely strong just to eat a meal without getting sick.

Temotei
2010-08-16, 12:37 AM
Great heroes get tummy aches, just look at MGS4.

Might as well include back pain, too, then. :smallamused:

lesser_minion
2010-08-16, 04:46 AM
A DC 25... what? If it's fort save, that makes no sense. People don't have to be superhumanely strong just to eat a meal without getting sick.

I believe that was intended for an entire night out during which extreme quantities of snakebite are consumed, not just one meal, so I can understand the idea of making it ridiculously high DC not to be affected in the slightest.

And DC 25 doesn't require superhuman toughness to manage once in a while, which is always good.

Temotei
2010-08-16, 10:59 AM
I had a "tummy ache" today, actually. Still do, but it's not as bad as before when I was running in cross country training.

Trust me. It's really, really more about the mind. A Fortitude save might save you from some of the adverse effects of eating a lot of bad food or...poison, but Will saving throws are required to make strong actions like knee-thrust lunges and end-striders. :smallsigh:

That's too complicated for my D&D, though. Let the PCs eat four hundred pounds of potatoes and four billion pounds of rocks. :smallamused:

Dencero
2010-08-16, 12:02 PM

enjoy

Rules for Tummy Aches

6 – 10 Sick
11-15 Nausiated
16-20 Giddy
21-24 Queezy

Itous

Really not crazy about it. I mean, if it was in the same lines of viral gastroenteritis, then I could probably understand. But they just ate and drank. If the employees coughed on the food and didn't wash their hands at all, I could maybe understand. If I have to make fortitude saves everytime I eat, I must be a beast, cause I haven't failed at all. Well, except for that time I was sick for a week. I couldn't eat anything, I was always dizzy and had massive tension headaches and standing felt like a chore. Maybe a new disease along the lines of a Stomach Bug? Might make players think a second time before asking for the tavern's special.

DracoDei
2010-08-16, 02:08 PM
heres my 2cp

"nauseaded" is just their (less repulsive) way of saying "currently in the act of puking your guts out." therefore, it is a condition that rarely lasts for more than 1 round. if it does last for a while (a swarm u cant get away from etc.) then assume that at some point you are just dry heaving.
Well, (most) swarms don't make people throw up to my knowledge, but then again the use of that condition for swarms always did seem to me to be a bit of an expedient kludge (not a bad thing).

Itous
2010-08-16, 05:51 PM
Really not crazy about it. I mean, if it was in the same lines of viral gastroenteritis, then I could probably understand. But they just ate and drank. If the employees coughed on the food and didn't wash their hands at all, I could maybe understand. If I have to make fortitude saves everytime I eat, I must be a beast, cause I haven't failed at all. Well, except for that time I was sick for a week. I couldn't eat anything, I was always dizzy and had massive tension headaches and standing felt like a chore. Maybe a new disease along the lines of a Stomach Bug? Might make players think a second time before asking for the tavern's special.

true, maybe after a night on the binge (both food and drink) make a DC 25 fort check to see if they contract a stomach bug, incubation peroid: 4 hours.

primary damage 1d3 to all scores
secondary damage 1d4 to all scores lasts 2d4 days

the first version was pretty extreme, but to awnser someones question, can't remember who off the top of my head yes the 25 would be high and yes it would be a fort save

if you go out heavy drinking and are having beer followed by spirits and then other types of alcohol, your not going to get hung over? or become violently ill or maybe even alcahol posioning? thats why the DC is high because if the players say "i get blitzed" or "i enduldge myself tonight" then you have them roll 1 save depending on how bad they fail causes the resultant effects, i personally like the table i drew up although its crude appearance on here it still works very well.

if you binge your going to know the effects the following day, thus the high save and its not about how the mind reacts its about how your body reacts, if you push your body to far to the point where you black out from eating too much food and drinking to much your gonna know about it the next day.

Milskidasith
2010-08-16, 05:54 PM
true, maybe after a night on the binge (both food and drink) make a DC 25 fort check to see if they contract a stomach bug, incubation peroid: 4 hours.

primary damage 1d3 to all scores
secondary damage 1d4 to all scores lasts 2d4 days

the first version was pretty extreme, but to awnser someones question, can't remember who off the top of my head yes the 25 would be high and yes it would be a fort save

if you go out heavy drinking and are having beer followed by spirits and then other types of alcohol, your not going to get hung over? or become violently ill or maybe even alcahol posioning? thats why the DC is high because if the players say "i get blitzed" or "i enduldge myself tonight" then you have them roll 1 save depending on how bad they fail causes the resultant effects, i personally like the table i drew up although its crude appearance on here it still works very well.

if you binge your going to know the effects the following day, thus the high save and its not about how the mind reacts its about how your body reacts, if you push your body to far to the point where you black out from eating too much food and drinking to much your gonna know about it the next day.

Again, this requires a superhumanely high save in order to pass; most people aren't going to become significantly dumber, rasher, weaker, stiffer, less charismatic, and more inclined to die from stabbing just from eating too much, and it certainly wouldn't last a week; it would last about a day at most.

Here's what I would suggest for eating way, way too much:

DC 15 fortitude save. If you fail, treat as sickened for the next day.

Itous
2010-08-17, 05:17 AM
the idea of the high saving throw is because you've ate and drank so much its going to be tough as hell to pass it, its just strictly a consiquence of your actions, if you go out drinking all night and you only have to make a dc 15 check inorder not to be sickened or hung over? thats way to low. besides 25 is not a superhuman saving throw, you can make that at level 1.
45 is super human.

Calmar
2010-08-17, 07:12 AM
besides 25 is not a superhuman saving throw, you can make that at level 1.
45 is super human.

Tough warrior types and dwarves with high Con and good Fort saves might be able to make the save at lvl 1. Everyone else has only a 5% Chance. The average commoner with a +0 Con bonus only makes it on a natural 20.

Itous
2010-08-18, 04:13 AM
i know but thats the point as i keep saying

if you go out binge eating or even binge drinking

YOU WILL FEEL IT THE NEXT DAY!

player: "ok i got out binge eating tonight"
DM: "ok make a fort save"
Player: "16"
DM: "you pass"
player (in character the following morning) "ahhhh that was a lovely night of binge eating i think i'll do it again tonight"

where a with a dc 25

player: "ok i got out binge eating tonight"
DM: "ok make a fort save"
Player: "16"
DM: "you fail"
player (in character the following morning) "uuuuuuurrrrrrnnnnnnnnn i think i'm gonna die! remind me never to do that again......." *vomits violently*

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 04:23 AM
Hmm- maybe some feats could be obtained via this?

Something like :

"If your character has binge-eaten for at least a month beforehand, they may take the Willing Deformity: Obese feat the next time they level up, without requiring any of the prerequisites, such as Evil alignment."

Milskidasith
2010-08-18, 06:10 AM
DC 25 is a superhuman saving throw. The average human's saving throw is a whopping +0. DC 25 requires you to have a +6 just to have a chance besides a nat 20, which is fairly superhuman.

D&D guys are heroes. They shouldn't have trouble because they ate to much, and they especially shouldn't be penalized so much they can hardly do anything unless they make a save most normal humans don't even have a chance to make. There's no fluff reason for it, because honestly, saying "You ate too much. You're going to die today because you got that incredibly sick" doesn't sound heroic, and there's no mechanical reason for these absurd penalties at the absurd DC.

Itous
2010-08-18, 07:27 AM
you still seem incapable of grasping the point.

if you go out binge drinking or bing eating you aqre going to regret it the next day, that is why the save is so high, if a normal person went on a binge of anykind they would feel like sh*t the next day. end of story, to endure that kind of physical punishment would mean you would have to be superhuman to not feel the consiquences.

go binge drinking and drink yourself something stupid mix your spirits and alcahols try not to wake up hung over or with sever stomach pains, the idea of binge-ing is that you go way over your limits to the point of "wow that was f***ing stupid" to endure that you would need to be super human, and orc or a dwarf may be able to survive it or a human with a fighter class and a good feat and con mod yeah maybe, but the whole point is that a commoner wouldn't survive it, even adventurers can forget themselves sometimes and go a bit silly. its a better system than "make a fort save per pint you have"

or if it was going to ba DC 15 chcck the player would have to be at a circumstancial -10 becuse each time you fail the saving throw for a pint you take a circumstancial -2 on your next save so the result of mixing alcahols and drinking stupid your going to get wrecked pretty damn fast.

either way the check is going to be damn hard. its easier to let them have a super human check this way your not sitting at the table working out negatives from your dice rolls and total check, when its easier just to add it all togethere and say "did you beat 25 yes or no?"

also i dunno how the quote system works but... in response to this post:

Hmm- maybe some feats could be obtained via this?

Something like :

"If your character has binge-eaten for at least a month beforehand, they may take the Willing Deformity: Obese feat the next time they level up, without requiring any of the prerequisites, such as Evil alignment."

i would agree to this but only if they binged "once every 3 days" for "three weeks" they would start gaining wieght very quickly, armor and robe costs double or an extra 50%, thats a personal thing though personally i am a big blokee, as a result buying clothes is more expensive.

also final note, bare in mind that dwarfs, orcs, barbarians and other "tough" people still get smashed by the end of the night at the bar even if they are adventurers, which means "almost no one can handle thier liquor"

which means it i a superhuman check.

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 07:35 AM
also i dunno how the quote system works but... in response to this post:

Just click on the Quote button that appears at the bottom of every post, for the post of the person you want to reply to, and their post will appear inside quote tags, for your next message.

Itous
2010-08-18, 07:39 AM
Just click on the Quote button that appears at the bottom of every post, for the post of the person you want to reply to, and their post will appear inside quote tags, for your next message.

lol cheers

Ashtagon
2010-08-18, 07:42 AM
DC 25 is too high. A DC that high is basically saying "dodging fireballs and finger of death spells is easier than this".

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 07:44 AM
Pretty much. When a poisonous creature of great size and meanness, injects poison that can be more easily shrugged off than this, it may be a little too harsh.

Itous
2010-08-18, 10:04 AM
but your not going to die from binge eating, my previous statement was a refrence to how bad the character felt

imp_fireball
2010-08-18, 01:57 PM

Nauseated in my opinion usually resutls from feeling like every orifice in your body is going to empty itself of your blood and that your brain is presently having some kind of a stroke... or something.

Otherwise, adrenaline would allow the hero to continue functioning. :smallbiggrin:

but your not going to die from binge eating, my previous statement was a refrence to how bad the character felt

Rules wise, maybe they should just take non lethal damage slightly faster - say, if you had a head ache, a punch to the face would only worsen that, whereas if you didn't, you could roll more easily with being punched.

That is, something like 5% extra (round down) - if you're absolutely smashed (your mind is buzzing, every area of body is going completely cold and numb and even ambling hurts; granted everyday soldiers (level 1 warriors) often feel these things but this would be so much that it could be intolerable to them too), you might take 50% extra non lethal damage. Requires some number crunching from the GM though, so it's not really worth it until it seriously impairs your character's ability to operate on any level in public.

if a normal person went on a binge of anykind they would feel like sh*t the next day.

Adventurers are by no means normal people - even at first level. At second level, you have to go beyond worrying about being successful in every day life - you are concerned with things like making your mark on society. At third level, you're concerned with becoming almost world famous or being the perfect all you can be and surpassing what was previously thought impossible.

At 4th level, in a world filled with media (granted D&D isn't typically this world) you're tenacity is only one of many stunning traits about you. You emit an aura of dominating repute. The most powerful of authorities feel either very nervous or very safe around you. You routinely bed beautiful women through fame alone - in fact, doing so exhausts because so many are available all the time.

At 5th level, you routinely break out new limits and breach what science believes even possible concerning the human condition. Your status is legendary. People who haven't met you, might think that you are a myth - they may hear true stories about how you wrestled a grizzly bear to the ground with your bare hands (possible at 5th level), or openly confronted and defeated twenty highly trained soldiers (1st level rogues/fighters that fight smart or 2nd level warriors).

At 6th level, you are an enigma, able to brush aside the most dire of concerns for lesser people with almost no effort in day to day life and accomplish tasks that even mad men would consider suicidal. This is probably the highest level anyone has ever been in the real world. Such figures include Genghis Khan (he altered the genetics in russians, switching their most common hair color from blond to brown; russians occupying the largest land mass in the world), and perhaps unwritten bad asses that dominated the battlefield in the stone ages.

Anything beyond reaches into the realm of superhuman.

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 02:01 PM

And you're not going to die from a massive dose of Dex-damaging or Str-damaging venom- but you wouldn't normally shrug it off easily.

Binge drinking being even harder to shrug off than poison is odd though.

imp_fireball
2010-08-18, 02:13 PM
And you're not going to die from a massive dose of Dex-damaging or Str-damaging venom- but you wouldn't normally shrug it off easily.

Some poison in real life has been known to result in some of the most pain that anyone could ever possibly feel. So yah...

Pain has nothing to do with actual affects. Except maybe symbol of pain (which would probably be like crucio*1000 or a tazer that locks the muscles). :smalltongue:

In fact, you actually feel better when you vomit.

"You ate too much. You're going to die today because you got that incredibly sick" doesn't sound heroic

Maybe if you were running a game with level 1 commoners who were high schoolers with absolutely no will power at all? They're the kind who can't hold down jobs and are totally shallow. :smallbiggrin:

Itous
2010-08-18, 07:45 PM
imp fireball you ae offically awesome, and you can put that in your signature aswell.

i'm glad you see why i've put it up there and if people are moaning about it fine then DC 20 it, still only a 5% chance for most people and normal lame level 1 adventurers have a slightly better chance at it.

i am glad you also realise that level 6 upwards is superhuman, granted i never stated it previously but at level 1 your still pretty damn normal, your like normal +1 or something like that, your only slightly better then normal people.

adventurers shouldn't blow thier own trumpets so much.

imp_fireball
2010-08-18, 07:52 PM
your like normal +1 or something like that, your only slightly better then normal people.

Granted, at level 2 you could be the equivalent of a mafia ring leader with a black belt.

As an adventurer, you don't fear death as is. That's pretty un normal - but everything's put at perspective.

Itous
2010-08-18, 07:54 PM
i wish i could like your posts i would be offically your fan if could

Ashtagon
2010-08-19, 12:25 AM
Adventurers are by no means normal people - even at first level. At second level, you have to go beyond worrying about being successful in every day life - you are concerned with things like making your mark on society. At third level, you're concerned with becoming almost world famous or being the perfect all you can be and surpassing what was previously thought impossible.

At 4th level, in a world filled with media (granted D&D isn't typically this world) you're tenacity is only one of many stunning traits about you. You emit an aura of dominating repute. The most powerful of authorities feel either very nervous or very safe around you. You routinely bed beautiful women through fame alone - in fact, doing so exhausts because so many are available all the time.

At 5th level, you routinely break out new limits and breach what science believes even possible concerning the human condition. Your status is legendary. People who haven't met you, might think that you are a myth - they may hear true stories about how you wrestled a grizzly bear to the ground with your bare hands (possible at 5th level), or openly confronted and defeated twenty highly trained soldiers (1st level rogues/fighters that fight smart or 2nd level warriors).

At 6th level, you are an enigma, able to brush aside the most dire of concerns for lesser people with almost no effort in day to day life and accomplish tasks that even mad men would consider suicidal. This is probably the highest level anyone has ever been in the real world. Such figures include Genghis Khan (he altered the genetics in russians, switching their most common hair color from blond to brown; russians occupying the largest land mass in the world), and perhaps unwritten bad asses that dominated the battlefield in the stone ages.

Anything beyond reaches into the realm of superhuman.

Personally, I have a slightly different take on levels...

1st - Apprentice. you're basically fresh off the boat/farm/tunnel/whatever. You've had some rudimentary training in your field, but that's about it.

2nd - Journeyman. You've got the basics down, and you are definitely recognised by your superiors in the field as competent and trusted with common tasks. But you're no expert, and you still lack solid experience. In modern terms, this would be someone fresh out of a 2-4 year university course or equivalent.

3rd - Master. A few years experience in your career path gets you to this level (or a few weeks of solid orc-slaying and levelling up). Most adults are at this level, and stay at this level.

4th - Very competent adults are at this level. Army captains, grizzled veterans, guildmasters, office managers. You're one of a hundred or two people in a typical large city of 15,000 people. (1 in 100).

5th - You're one of a dozen or so people in a typical large city of 15,000 people. (1 in 1000).

6th - You're probably the only person of this level in a typical large city. (1 in 10,000).

Higher levels than this are essentially notable NPCs and other campaign specials.