PDA

View Full Version : Soloing in 4E?

Delta
2010-08-11, 10:51 AM
Me and my girlfriend have been really getting into 4th edition lately, playing and GMing a lot with friends and on conventions, but it's not been enough to satisfy our desire for the game. So I've been thinking about GMing some games for her to play solo, but unfortunately, I'm not really sure whether 4e is really the right game for that, as the whole setup seems to be extremely party-centric.

So I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has any experience playing 4e solo, what kind of characters would be viable choices (I guess Defenders would be my best bet in general) and what else to watch out for, what kind of bonuses I should consider handing out to make the game easier for a single character and so on.

While any advice is welcome here, please refrain from recommending other games, I know very well that games like Exalted are much more suited for solo play, but this thread should be about 4e only, thank you in advance.

Diarmuid
2010-08-11, 10:57 AM
My advice: Find some other kind of "Role-Playing" to do with your girlfriend when it's just the two of you.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-11, 10:57 AM
It should be doable, assuming the character is built very carefully and the campaign is designed with it in mind.

Depending on whether you're talking melee powerhouse, sneak, or otherwise it would be a vastly different game.

A Sneaky character would require a game that much more closely resembled a stealthy, metal gear/Arkham Asylum style setup, with the focus being on careful exploration, problem solving and taking things down quickly quietly and without them even knowing you are there. Plot should avoid time pressure, giving plenty of time to do things the slow way, and with Cut and Run a constant choice.

A Martial type would lend more to something militaristic, more likely to involve allies and larger combat scenarios.

and so on. Roleplay would and should be a definate focus rather than straight up encounters, whatever the case.

Doug Lampert
2010-08-11, 11:01 AM
So I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has any experience playing 4e solo, what kind of characters would be viable choices (I guess Defenders would be my best bet in general) and what else to watch out for, what kind of bonuses I should consider handing out to make the game easier for a single character and so on.

I'd simply skip defender. What's the point of marking when you're the only target? Similar comment for most leaders, you've got no ally to boost.

Ranged doesn't work well because you've got no one to hide behind.

So I'd go with a melee striker with decent multi-target attacks like a beast ranger with a bow or a monk, or with a hybrid controller/striker.

Then I'd multiclass to a leader for the once a day healing and for the ability to take a healing utility at some point.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-11, 11:05 AM
I'm not really sure whether 4e is really the right game for that,
It really isn't, more or less for the reason you describe.

That said, if you want to, the problem with picking a defender is that many of their powers and features focus on defending teammates, which you won't have. Likewise, many leader powers aren't going to help unless you've got allies - aside from self-healing, of course; and any controller powers that focus on shutting down half the enemies while your teammates deal with the other half, well, that doesn't help either.

That doesn't mean that defenders, leaders and controllers are unplayable solo; it does mean you'll probably avoid the most commonly used powers for them.

For instance, rogue is a decent pick because of its skills and good damage - no, you can't flank, but there's plenty of other ways to gain CA. Use a multiclass feat to gain some healing ability. Beastmaster ranger, for the same reason plus you get a free ally.

Nu
2010-08-11, 11:08 AM
Would you be open to perhaps having a DMPC leader-type healer running around helping (like maybe a Pacifist Healer cleric)? I could see a team of one of those and a melee-oriented striker working all right. Encounters would need to be scaled down significantly, but if she wanted to play a ranger, rogue, or monk she could probably still make it in combat and have plenty of skills too.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-11, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Defenders aren't exactly automatically out. Especially a Fighter or Paladin built right.
Also, just because it's a solo campaign doesn't mean the PC needs to be alone. Putting them as the leader of a small military company or squad (Though dear god don't build the soliders as PC's, just use the npc guidelines and make simple statblocks, okay?) would give the PC some other bodies to interact with in combat AND give them an interesting roleplaying hook at strategic stuff to play with.

Actually, my suspicion is that Paladin would make a damn fine solo character. Quite tough, and especially the Divine Power paladin build is really quite damaging. Add in a tiny bit of self healing out of the box and that's a solid chassis.

BlckDv
2010-08-11, 11:22 AM
I would actually avoid most defender builds for solo play; the mark mechanic is very depreciated if you have no allies. There are some exceptions; If you plan on a large number of non-melee foes the Fighter's mark is still potent, I've seen a fun Paladin build that relies on being invisible as much as possible to force the radiant damage.

That said, I'd go for a good defense build that is not a Defender, several Leaders could work well if you are careful not to select powers that rely on having an ally to buff.

You could also try a high-mobility build, going for a ranged attacker that works hard to stay out of or escape melee and avoid getting hit, a crossbow rogue or a ranger come to mind. This would rely on you as DM working to make encounters that were a challenge but allowed for hit and run play.

I'd stay away from controllers myself, lots of area attacks sound fun for solo, but you are not likely to be able to avoid enemy fire without allies, and go down fast.

I might count each encounter as a milestone instead of every two, helps a little bit with action economy and the ability to use magic items.

Encounter and Property magic items will probably be much handier than Daily. Be sure to hand over a couple of healing potions, and probably something to give a bonus to saves or allow an extra save.

Just a little food for thought.

Sligo
2010-08-11, 11:23 AM
I'd like to jump in on this thread... Seems most everyone here is focused on d20-based systems. However, there is an RPG system that isn't d20, has been around almost as long as D&D (first published in 1975), and has a full line of solitaire adventures - about 25 official ones (published by the same people who publish the game itself) and an uncounted number of unofficial ones (of which I have written and published one... so far).

This game is called Tunnels & Trolls. You can find more information about it through the Flying Buffalo website (primary publisher), Fiery Dragon (who prints the latest edition of the rules), DriveThruRPG, and the Trollbridge Storefront on Lulu.com (where my solo is available.)

(Oh, if you encounter anything associated with Outlaw Press or James Shipman, please do not do business with them. This guy stole artwork and published it without permission of the artists, among a number of other shady and illegal business practices.)

Not only is T&T an awesome RPG system (which I like a lot better than any of the d20-based systems I've played - for a number of reasons), it's easy to learn and fun to play. One way I describe it is this - D&D is basically a miniatures combat system with an RPG overlay. T&T is an RPG game with a combat mechanic. Of course, if you like detailed, tactical combat, then stick with the d20 systems. However, if you prefer active role-playing, then T&T is a great option.

Most of the sites I listed above have a free downloadable quick-start guide that gets you through character generation, equipment, and low-level magic, along with explanations on how combat and "saving rolls" work. There are also some free solo's and GM-adventures (be sure to check out the three issues of TrollsZine, too). This would allow you to get started at no cost. All you need is paper, pencil, and a bunch of six-sided dice.

---Sorry if this sounds like an advertisment... It's really not meant to be ;) ---

BlckDv
2010-08-11, 11:26 AM
I'd like to jump in on this thread... Seems most everyone here is focused on d20-based systems. However, there is an RPG system that isn't d20, has been around almost as long as D&D (first published in 1975), and has a full line of solitaire adventures - about 25 official ones (published by the same people who publish the game itself) and an uncounted number of unofficial ones (of which I have written and published one... so far).
---

OP: "While any advice is welcome here, please refrain from recommending other games, I know very well that games like Exalted are much more suited for solo play, but this thread should be about 4e only, thank you in advance."

This is why we're sticking to 4e, Op asked us to.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-11, 11:33 AM
This is why we're sticking to 4e, Op asked us to.

Perhaps we could suggest GURPS 4E, or Whitewolf 4E... :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2010-08-11, 11:49 AM
Me and my girlfriend have been really getting into 4th edition lately, playing and GMing a lot with friends and on conventions, but it's not been enough to satisfy our desire for the game. So I've been thinking about GMing some games for her to play solo, but unfortunately, I'm not really sure whether 4e is really the right game for that, as the whole setup seems to be extremely party-centric.

The set-up is party-centric, but you can ameliorate that by cheating a little.

1) Free multiclasses. If not playing a leader, a multiclass into a leader class for the 1/day healing power will help quite a bit. If playing a leader, try multiclassing into a striker for some more damage options. It also lets you add some skills, so you're more multi-talented. (i.e. Play a Bard, because Bards are Awesome and Can Do Everything.)

2) Use the solo monster rules. Increase the PCs HP, defenses, and other bonuses like they were a solo monster. Give them a couple reaction abilities to increase their survivability. Or inherent bonuses AND item bonuses to make the character stouter than average.

3) More Minions. Throw in more minions, with slightly-lower-than-standard defenses. Especially good for wizards with a lot of area attacks, as they can mow down numbers fairly quickly.

4) NPCs. Either let your girlfriend play multiple PCs, or give her some "silent" NPC henchmen to fluff out the party.

Another option is to play a style that doesn't focus on combat, or doesn't focus on 3-4 combats per game day. Maybe your rogue is casing houses for robbery. Maybe your fighter is taking part in a tournament and gets embroiled in some intrigue (giving you a centerpiece fight for the day, plus getting jumped by some thugs at night). Paladins can go questing (maybe with a Comet The Wonder Horse, courtesy of Brisco County, Jr.). Wizards get in duels, or have to go find some obscure information.

Townopolis
2010-08-11, 12:06 PM
I'd recommend your girlfriend makes the character she wants to play, builds her/him/it however she wants, and you tailor the campaign to that character's strengths and needs.

For example, say she wants to play a wizard. That's normally a terrible choice for a solo D&D 4e campaign, but only for a normal campaign. Why shouldn't you decide that all ethereal creatures are minions with immunity to non-arcane/divine damage (or immunity to all weapon attacks)? Also, ritual casters make great troubleshooters when conventional methods have failed. Look at the rituals, most of them are just a little bit worse than doing it manually. Now, think of a situation where the mundane method is rendered undesirable, but not the arcane. Perhaps the client needs to know about the Red Herring thieves' guild, but if someone goes out and investigates, the very clever Red Herrings will catch on to the investigation, follow the questions to their source, and shank the client. How about the "seek rumor" ritual?

Kish
2010-08-11, 12:10 PM
You could do the Baldur's Gate-style CRPG thing. Whatever character she creates, she winds up leading an all-NPCs-but-her party. That's probably what I would do.

Caphi
2010-08-11, 12:24 PM
snip

In other words, the world bends over backwards to require her abilities (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EigenPlot)? That kind of campaign isn't for everyone.

Balain
2010-08-11, 12:25 PM
My advice: Find some other kind of "Role-Playing" to do with your girlfriend when it's just the two of you.

I don't think this was said enough.

FoE
2010-08-11, 12:34 PM
If you're insistent on a solo 4E campaign, I would recommend a Defender main character, either a Fighter or Paladin. The latter might be better, as it has a bit of healing.

However, you'll want to look into backing her up with some support. You can either develop your own NPCs or you can use the guidelines for creating companion characters in the DMG2. These don't even have to be the standard obnoxious DMPC; you could make a decent Striker monster that functions as her pet, which she in turn directs. All you as DM do is roll for it.

Another tip for small parties: use monsters that are lower levels than your party characters. Also, minions.

Incorporate lots of damaging terrain that she can use to her advantage — the pillar that can be pushed over, the boulder that can be rolled down a hill, etc.

Use traps sparingly, if at all. Try to think of traps that function more like entire encounters.

potatocubed
2010-08-11, 12:35 PM
I don't think this was said enough.

Oh come on, they've got to do something in between bouts of bed-ruining intercourse. If nothing else, a typical 4e encounter will give them plenty of time to recharge.

Have you considered a hybrid class? A leader/striker might have the right mix of durability and death-dealingness you're looking for.

Delta
2010-08-12, 04:32 AM
You can either develop your own NPCs or you can use the guidelines for creating companion characters in the DMG2.

Nice, I didn't even know about those companion character rules, looks like I'm gonna give that a try, she said having multiple fully fleshed-out characters on the map would be too much for her, but those companions look like a great compromise to me.

cupkeyk
2010-08-12, 04:56 AM
Not really a solo but my fighter was put in a one on one fight. Horrible. It lasted 28 rounds because my defences were too high while my DPR was so low. I was consistently hitting the brute for piddling damage while the brute would miss me but would sap away about a fifth of my HP each hit. And I have armor and belt and stuff for healing. Silly boring long game.

A striker could deal more damage but would go down too quickly too.

A leader will be stupid with no one to lead.

A controller, uhhhh....

A striker in a Tenchu type of dungeon. Yeah, But Tenchu gets boring.

Boci
2010-08-12, 05:05 AM
What about an avenger? They have decent defenses for a striker, activly benefit from fighting alone. Although you will need some dragon magazine artifcle to give them a power boost.

Leolo
2010-08-12, 05:14 AM
I am playing scales of war as an solo campaign with my wizard. Because we do not scale down the monster group size this is very deadly even if you do level faster than normal (it was used as a character test module first: "how far would the character could get").

So if you do not want to just test how long it takes to kill a character: Scale down the monster group size and match the adventure to the character of your girlfriend.

Eorran
2010-08-12, 08:58 AM
Can be done. My recommendations:

Be very generous with starting stats.

Consider a henchman or two. DMG2 has some rules for these; basically, take a monster of roughly appropriate level for use. Example: we have a 2-PC party at level 21. I gave the group a Wild Hunt Hound who follows the barbarian.

You might also want to start the game at higher levels. By the time characters reach epic, the roles start to blur (my opinion). They should also be able to fit a multiclass feat in somewhere.

Any way you slice it, you won't be using stock encounters for such a party. Fewer fights per day, or fewer enemies per fight.

As far as class, I'd agree that melee Striker or high-damage Defender is probably the best choice, but again, at higher level, you have more flexibility.

Townopolis
2010-08-12, 09:16 AM
In other words, the world bends over backwards to require her abilities (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EigenPlot)? That kind of campaign isn't for everyone.
You're confusing the kind of people who would seek out a [Class] specifically for their problems with the entire world.

trehek
2010-08-12, 09:24 AM
A dungeon keeper type scenario.

A single PC who's the BBEG (or possible BBGG) who's found and taken over a dungeon for some reason. He's got a few trusty henchmen to start with, has some major goal (like conquering or possibly liberating the kingdom or even world) and sets off to capture/entice/hire/etc more creatures to his control and expand his power base to achieve his goal.

So the PC has himself and several creatures with monster stat blocks to work with. The PC can do stuff personally or just send a group of monsters to do the task in which case the player can just control the monsters for a while. Many creatures to handle but a more simple interface since it's just one player. Faster play. Then it's up to the DM how reactive and how aggressive the world is. That might also depend on the player's actions. That scenario can also be pretty open ended and can be played whenever called for.

This kind of scenario can also include many side elements depending on the DMs and players desires. Monster economy and treasure hunting, quests to please the underlings, monster RP, diplomacy with outside factions, dungeon ecology simulation, etc.