PDA

View Full Version : Base-based campaign

Caphi
2010-08-11, 11:19 AM
We all know the jokes about adventurers as hobos who travel from town to town with only what fits in their Heward's handy haversack, which nonetheless must be enough to make them able to deal with just about anything (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyPrepared).

Has anyone tried a campaign where the PCs operate out of a base and can carry out a load of supplies from the armory or storehouse? Something more mission of the week and less town of the week, where all the events come to the PCs in some fashion. How was the interaction? How was the gameplay? How was the balancing factor of not having to worry about keeping all the perfect items for everything in your pack at all times?

WarKitty
2010-08-11, 11:26 AM
We all know the jokes about adventurers as hobos who travel from town to town with only what fits in their Heward's handy haversack, which nonetheless must be enough to make them able to deal with just about anything (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyPrepared).

Has anyone tried a campaign where the PCs operate out of a base and can carry out a load of supplies from the armory or storehouse? Something more mission of the week and less town of the week, where all the events come to the PCs in some fashion. How was the interaction? How was the gameplay? How was the balancing factor of not having to worry about keeping all the perfect items for everything in your pack at all times?

Hmm, reminds me of some of the Pathfinder rules (I think it was pathfinder?). Basically, you say that any item under X amount of gold is freely available. Items above that but up to Y amount can be freely purchased. Items over that aren't available. So it's still worth enchanting and keeping around your fancy sword and armor, but you don't have to worry about how many rations you have.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-11, 03:04 PM
Bases? Yup. A couple. In particular, I enjoy collecting strongholds, ships, etc. All sorts of handy. You never know when you might find a ludicrous amount of something valuable to steal, and want to be smart about offloading it.

kieza
2010-08-11, 04:57 PM
I ran a campaign which started out as generic "get paid to kill stuff," but about 2 months in, their employer turned on them, and they wound up taking refuge in an area where they had previously been killing stuff. They found a town that they'd previously helped out, and they wound up defending it from the orcs that their employer had roused. The local wizards, who had been the previous overlords, teleported out when things got rough, and when they managed to turn the tide against the orcs, the locals "appointed" them the new caretakers.

The next few months (out of game) dealt with things like fortifying the town, hunting down the orc stragglers, working out trade agreements with a nearby dwarven outpost, and training a militia. Eventually, the orc horde that the previous orc horde had been fleeing from showed up, and they had to rally a bunch of other small towns to put up a defense.

It was a cool campaign, but it kind of fell apart when a bunch of people moved.