PDA

View Full Version : Nature gods for a campaign setting

ExtravagantEvil
2010-08-11, 01:00 PM
Greetings playground, the Dark lord extravagantEvil is asking for assistance.
It concerns a campaign setting I am designing, which I may post of on completion because I am enthralled by it, I am trying to craft gods of the elements, based on Chinese, Japanese, and myths of similar cultures. I need to know of deities that could fill this role, for my mythical knowledge does not extend that far into the realm of the chinese and japanese mythos. The elements that I am using are: The classical 4, metal and wood to keep with the asian feel to the elemental gods. Thank you for your assistance.

iDM
2010-08-11, 01:09 PM
Feng-Po-Po was a goddess of the air, who ruled over storms and rains. Hsuan-T'ien-Shang-Ti was a god of water, and he cleansed people and places, removing evil demons (basically, performing exorcisms).

Crosswinds
2010-08-11, 01:16 PM
I'd recommend www.godchecker.com for all for your deity needs. They've got a pretty comprehensive list of various Gods and Goddesses.

Ponderthought
2010-08-11, 01:23 PM
When i was designing an oriental setting I used the four feng shui animals as gods.

Black Tortoise of the North: Water
Azure Dragon of the East: Wood
Vermilion Bird of the South: Fire
White Tiger of the West: Metal

And if I remember correctly the Yellow Dragon of the emperor ruled the center, and was associated with Earth.

jamroar
2010-08-11, 01:36 PM
Greetings playground, the Dark lord extravagantEvil is asking for assistance.
It concerns a campaign setting I am designing, which I may post of on completion because I am enthralled by it, I am trying to craft gods of the elements, based on Chinese, Japanese, and myths of similar cultures. I need to know of deities that could fill this role, for my mythical knowledge does not extend that far into the realm of the chinese and japanese mythos. The elements that I am using are: The classical 4, metal and wood to keep with the asian feel to the elemental gods. Thank you for your assistance.

You could use the four elemental beasts (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFourGods) of eastern astrology. They seem to turn up in RPGs a lot.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-08-11, 03:03 PM
Thank you, with the information you have given me I've produced an interesting concept, and I might need help with other deities in this; a now dead gnome creator god (gnomes are mildly atheist, believing in a philosophy that is basically the Zeitgeist, but a different name), and a Native American type who could create centaur.

Here is the fluff you may need:
Giants and Dragons were the first created beings, by the humanoid gods and elemental gods respectively. They fought each other, gods realized they'd need something better, as they discussed human god crafted man, other gods didn't like him doing that, even if they liked the model, but wanted to make adjustments. So they had taken clumps of humans and lead them away to become races they'd want.
Races: Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, and Savage Races (Goblin, Orc, etc. These being Judeo Christian in creation, born of sin and what not)