PDA

View Full Version : Quarterstaff as a Metamagic Rod

Darius Rae
2010-08-11, 01:01 PM
Would you allow someone to add a metamagic rod, or any other rod's properties to a quarterstaff? How would the pricing work, assuming the quarterstaff is being enhanced as a weapon at the same time?

Would it be legal to have a +1 defending/+1 defending quarterstaff that is also a metamagic rod of quicken and a rod of ropes? (not that these are the enhancements and rods that I would pick, they were just the first to come to mind.) Would it cost the same as the enchanted staff, a rod of quicken, and a rod of ropes?

Kantolin
2010-08-11, 01:07 PM
Would you allow someone to...

Absolutely.

Would it be legal to

No, it wouldn't. Combining a trio of objects is not covered under the rules. If you were to use the custom item creation rules in the DMG, the price of an item would be (Most expensive component + [Other expenses *1.5]).

Now personally, for what you've listed, I wouldn't have the rod of ropes cost much extra. Quicken and defending are potent properties, though, so I'd be a bit more leery there.

BobVosh
2010-08-11, 01:14 PM
Why have a quarterstaff, when you can have flindbars? Rod-chucks, yo.

Darius Rae
2010-08-11, 01:28 PM
So a Defending Staff of Quicken would be 4000 gp for each side of the staff, 3000+1500 for the rod of quicken. Total cost 12,500gp

LibraryOgre
2010-08-11, 01:33 PM
I believe the RAW also includes a surcharge for including multiple item effects in the same item.

I see no particular problem with combining such, however. It improves your power by letting you use multiple items without an action cost to switch between them... but that's fairly marginal, given some of the "use magic items" items that exist.

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 01:36 PM
Defending is a +1 equiv, but you need a weapon to be at least a +1 weapon before you can add +equivs on it. So a +1 Defending/+1 Defending Quarterstaff would cost you 8300x2= 16600g.

Also, you might want to check the price you have for Quicken. A Lesser MM Rod of Quicken is ~35,000g, with moderate and greater being much more than that.

BobVosh
2010-08-11, 01:38 PM
I believe the RAW also includes a surcharge for including multiple item effects in the same item.

I see no particular problem with combining such, however. It improves your power by letting you use multiple items without an action cost to switch between them... but that's fairly marginal, given some of the "use magic items" items that exist.

Yeppers. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm
Multiple different abilities: Multiply lower item cost by 1.5 EX: Helm of brilliance

ericgrau
2010-08-11, 02:40 PM
Action economy is a significant source of power, so I'd just use the guideline. It's normally 2 move actions to switch what you wield (one to put away, 1 to draw), or you need to use both hands which leaves none for casting spells, or you need to drop the 1st item which risks losing it. No matter how you look at it removing these restrictions is a big power boost over what's expected.