PDA

View Full Version : Norse mythology, particularly Vanaheim

BobVosh
2010-08-11, 01:04 PM
I'm planning on a quick 9 shot campaign, going through the major 9 worlds of the Norse mythology. Unfortunately Vanaheim and the Vanir seem to be shy online. Does anyone have any good information on either? Know a good scholar database with any?

All I really have is that its an island; realm of the nature, fertility, and so forth gods; and home to the Vanir. This feels inadequate for a decent setting on em.

Hurlbut
2010-08-11, 01:10 PM
From what I can understand they were gods of farmers and argiculture or nature. There was a war that broke out between them and the AEsirs, Gods of warriors and battle. It ended in a truce/ceasefure and an exchange of 'hostages'.

If it help a little, the D&D regard Freya and Frey as elvish deities (the two Vanirs that came to the AEsir pantheon as part of the exchange).

BobVosh
2010-08-11, 01:12 PM
Ya I remember Frey from 1st ed Deities and Demigods being the god of sunshine, elves and happyness or something like that. Also I did forget to mention that I read a tiny bit on the war with the AEsir where Odin learned a new magic to help win.

Hurlbut
2010-08-11, 01:14 PM
It might help if you would regard this island as a Fey land. It will keep in the theme with nature and fertility and a strong hint of fey creatures.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 02:39 PM
Have the island quite like the Blessed Fields of Elysium. Everything very fertile, the Vanir have the Verdant Soul trait, people gain Fast Healing, all that jazz.

Mojo_Rat
2010-08-11, 02:47 PM
The Vanir were sassociated with fertility and wisdom and the ability to forsee the future. The Only Vanir that are ever really spoken of is Frey FReya and Njodir their father.

For a D&D game thogh defining them as some sort of Fey group probly works fine.

Aux-Ash
2010-08-11, 03:16 PM
If I recall correctly. After the war the Vanir, Odin sent Mimer (Mimir) to them to act as an ambassador for the Aesir. But after a while the Vanir cut relations with the Aesir (for some inspecified reason) and killed Mimir by cutting off his head and sending it back to Odin.

I also recall some article (in Swedish I afraid) that say that the Vanir is actually the celtic gods (which was supported in the celtic mythology in Ireland where some odd group of "foreign gods" exist and waged a war against the celtic gods. These foreign gods were apparently led by a one-eyed figure).

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-11, 03:46 PM
May I also suggest that you read Deities & Demigods if you haven't already, as it has information on many of the more well-known Aesir, and how they fit into D&D, respectively.

1of3
2010-08-11, 04:30 PM
If I recall correctly. After the war the Vanir, Odin sent Mimer (Mimir) to them to act as an ambassador for the Aesir. But after a while the Vanir cut relations with the Aesir (for some inspecified reason) and killed Mimir by cutting off his head and sending it back to Odin.

They get angry about Hoenirs incompetence.

Hoenir and Mimir are hostages given by the Aesir. While Mimir is a wise god, Hoenir usually refrains from voting in council. The Vanir feel betrayed, and send back Mimir's head.

pffh
2010-08-11, 04:41 PM
There is little known about the Vanir except the fact that they and the Aesir went to war and it is suspected that the Vanir are part of a religion that died when the Norse religion took over. The vanir are connected to wisdom, magic, fertility and the ability to predict the future.

The only named Vanir are Njörður, Freyr and Freyja.

Armoury99
2010-08-11, 04:52 PM
There is little known about the Vanir except the fact that they and the Aesir went to war and it is suspected that the Vanir are part of a religion that died when the Norse religion took over. The vanir are connected to wisdom, magic, fertility and the ability to predict the future.

The only named Vanir are Njörður, Freyr and Freyja.

+1 to this, which pretty much hits the nail on the head. The Vanir seem to have been "spirits of the land" (fertility goddesses and the like) that were amalgamated into the Aesir (the war being the mythological equivalent of cultural assimilation), becoming companions, wives, and friends to the new gods. Older, little known deities like Ullr might also be Vanir, as might gods that don't fit neatly into the Aesir pantheon, like Tyr.

The Dan
2010-08-11, 04:59 PM
Pieceing together ideas and inspirations (rather than hard facts) from scraps of info is probably the way to go. Freya's hall is rival to Valhalla for example.

Vanir sources tend to be thin on the ground because "history is written by the victors" as the saying goes. I've found Kevin Crossley-Holland's Norse Myths: Gods of the Vikings to ber a good paper resource, and for the level of detail a quick game will probably need, you can probably do worse than Wikipedia.

Speaking personally, in game terms I see the Vanir more as fey/elemental lords and nature spirits rather than traditional D&D gods.

Since we're in Norse territory, I feel I shoudl point out I'm writing a patronage project all things Norse and we'd love to see you over there if it floats your boat - or longship in this case :smallsmile: - Gods and monsters, artcic survival, and loads more is being developed as we speak... see sig for details!

Zaydos
2010-08-11, 07:04 PM
Most of what I know about the Vanir has already been stated. The most I can actually add is that in some myths Freyr (one of the Vanir given to the AEsir as hostages) is mentioned as the king of the elves (although other myths list a different figure in this role), and his hall is -can't remember the name in Norse- roughly translated as something like Elf Hall or Elf Land. So I'd third, fourth, fifth, or whatever that the Vanir are probably gods of fey.

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-11, 09:25 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Stick to fictional sources here, folks and avoid real world religion references and discussion.