PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Druid Spellcasting, any thoughts?

ExtravagantEvil
2010-08-11, 04:28 PM
I'm making druids in a campaign setting very element focused and am trying to find a way to put that in, while keeping the same Druidic class features.
My thought was to alter the spell list, by combining the Wu Jen/Shugenja(?) spell list thematic into the Druid spell list. Giving Druids the favored Element portion, but change it so as that it concerns the spells prepared, similar to Clerical domain slots. Any thoughts?

Lysander
2010-08-11, 09:41 PM
You could make it so that a druid can't cast elemental descriptor spells from anything but their favored element, but in exchange they get to cast one extra spell with that elemental descriptor per spell level they have per day.

Brendan
2010-08-11, 10:27 PM
You could make it so that a druid can't cast elemental descriptor spells from anything but their favored element, but in exchange they get to cast one extra spell with that elemental descriptor per spell level they have per day.
But then you could just take that metamagic feat that lets you change the energy type of a spell and all that restriction does is deprives them of a feat slot in exchange for a spell. I prefer the idea of a revised, element focused spell list, and I think that that would effect the caster more.

Weasel of Doom
2010-08-11, 11:05 PM
I agree that a revised element focused spell list would probably be a more thematic change but it'd also be more work

On another note though, the elemental companion feature from CM might fit
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a

Urpriest
2010-08-12, 12:16 AM
But then you could just take that metamagic feat that lets you change the energy type of a spell and all that restriction does is deprives them of a feat slot in exchange for a spell. I prefer the idea of a revised, element focused spell list, and I think that that would effect the caster more.

There are feats that change the energy type, but only one of the energy types is an element (fire). While you could make any energy damage spell a fire spell, an Earth Druid couldn't use the same method. Whether this helps or skews the balance further is unclear.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-08-12, 01:14 AM
Oh, just letting you know, I am using the Metal and Wood Elements.

Amphetryon
2010-08-12, 06:05 AM
Take a look at the Shugenja class. It is an elements-focused, Oriental, divine casting class. The Earth-focused Shugenja, in particular, make good Druid-style buffers, while Water Shugenja are healers.