PDA

View Full Version : Possible New DM Needs Advice

Autarkhos
2010-08-11, 04:35 PM
I just had a quick flick through So You Wanna Be A DM? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) but there are a few more questions and problems I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on.

Basically, I'm a completely new DM (never played a P&P RPG before, only ever read the sourcebooks and played the computer RPGs, although I do have a background in setting up roleplaying campaign in online games) that is setting up a group with a bunch of completely new players (not even RPed before I think, but hey, they're a bunch of women!) and I needed GITP's advice on a few things (would've went to WotC... but no).

The questions:-

What edition should I use? 3.5e, Pathfinder or 4e? (Leaning towards Pathfinder because I enjoy both the ruleset and the setting.)
Should I set the players up with premade characters or allow them to create their own?
A short campaign would be best, correct?
Any recommended adventures to use to get them used to the system?

That's pretty much everything for now.

Thanks in advance, guys.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-11, 07:06 PM
What edition should I use? 3.5e, Pathfinder or 4e? (Leaning towards Pathfinder because I enjoy both the ruleset and the setting.)

Doesn't matter. Just pick one that you like and read up until you understand it. If you start at low-ish levels, the complexity doesn't vary that much.

Should I set the players up with premade characters or allow them to create their own?

Depends on your players and how you're going to run the game the first time. If your players are going to read through the books before the first game session, then character creation can be a good thing to try out and doesn't take too long at 1st level. If you'd rather focus on teaching your players the basics of gameplay, then just giving them premade characters might be a better idea.

Yeah, usually you want to start with something short. This lets you and the players make mistakes without accidentally destroying your "epic plotline." Besides, you don't want to get too caught up in an intricate story if you're not used to running a game.

I dunno, it depends on which game you're running. I believe WotC has some free 3.5 adventures on their website, maybe some 4e ones too. Or if you have a Monster Manual you can just make something up yourself (just keep it simple).

Savannah
2010-08-11, 07:43 PM
I just had a quick flick through So You Wanna Be A DM? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) but there are a few more questions and problems I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on.

Basically, I'm a completely new DM (never played a P&P RPG before, only ever read the sourcebooks and played the computer RPGs, although I do have a background in setting up roleplaying campaign in online games) that is setting up a group with a bunch of completely new players (not even RPed before I think, but hey, they're a bunch of women!) and I needed GITP's advice on a few things (would've went to WotC... but no).

I taught myself 3.5 and how to DM simultaneously, after some experience with AD&D. It's not that bad, as long as you've got sympathetic players.

Whichever one you like best. I hate the 'pick a simpler system for newbies' argument.

...difficult to say. Generally I prefer to help the newbies set up their own characters, as it gives me an opportunity to explain the rules if necesary as we go over all the things. On the other hand, since you're new yourself, it may be less stressful to make them up in advance.

YES. In fact, you might want to start with a one-shot adventure. (I personally love long campaigns, but consistantly get in over my head. Even if you love writing complex plots, I strongly urge you to stick to a single, short adventure for your first time.)

Not at the moment. I'm actually going to be going through the free 1st-level adventures on the WotC website very soon, so I can let you know if I see any good ones, if you'd like.

Autarkhos
2010-08-12, 10:27 AM
Doesn't matter. Just pick one that you like and read up until you understand it. If you start at low-ish levels, the complexity doesn't vary that much.

Whichever one you like best. I hate the 'pick a simpler system for newbies' argument.

I suppose I'll just grab 3.5 and introduce them to that, then.

Depends on your players and how you're going to run the game the first time. If your players are going to read through the books before the first game session, then character creation can be a good thing to try out and doesn't take too long at 1st level. If you'd rather focus on teaching your players the basics of gameplay, then just giving them premade characters might be a better idea.

...difficult to say. Generally I prefer to help the newbies set up their own characters, as it gives me an opportunity to explain the rules if necesary as we go over all the things. On the other hand, since you're new yourself, it may be less stressful to make them up in advance.

I had a chat with them, asked them what roles they'd like to play and I'm setting up characters in advance for them.

Yeah, usually you want to start with something short. This lets you and the players make mistakes without accidentally destroying your "epic plotline." Besides, you don't want to get too caught up in an intricate story if you're not used to running a game.

YES. In fact, you might want to start with a one-shot adventure. (I personally love long campaigns, but consistantly get in over my head. Even if you love writing complex plots, I strongly urge you to stick to a single, short adventure for your first time.)

Maybe I should try teaching them by using Tomb of Horrors. ;p

I'll be certain to just grab a nice, short, premade module. Maybe do Temple of Elemental Evil, since that seems fairly simple.

I dunno, it depends on which game you're running. I believe WotC has some free 3.5 adventures on their website, maybe some 4e ones too. Or if you have a Monster Manual you can just make something up yourself (just keep it simple).

Not at the moment. I'm actually going to be going through the free 1st-level adventures on the WotC website very soon, so I can let you know if I see any good ones, if you'd like.

I'll be sure to check there myself.

And I'd really appreciate that, thank you.

And one (probably last) very silly question: Where is it possible to buy single miniatures from? Preferably pre-painted. I tried explaining that they're not necessary, but they're having none of it. ._.

Sligo
2010-08-12, 10:36 AM
Most local game stores will have a bin that has all the cheapie common miniatures ranging from $.50 to $3.00. Also at the game stores, find the people who have lots of miniatures and they might sell (or give?) some to you as well.

In the games I run, I don't use miniatures - mostly because the systems I like don't require them or don't depend upon tactical positioning for combat. When those situations do come up, I'll use dice on the table.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 10:40 AM
And one (probably last) very silly question: Where is it possible to buy single miniatures from? Preferably pre-painted. I tried explaining that they're not necessary, but they're having none of it. ._.

There are the actual D&D minis. Many bookstore chains, such as Books a Million, carry blister packs of them. Prepainted, and thus, easy and not terribly expensive, but not the greatest quality.

Games workshop has some great fantasy mini's for their game, of a similar scale. Great quality, not so great price and unpainted. However, you can frequently ask around in shop and find someone that'll paint a mini for you for a few bucks.

The internets has a great many places that make minis. Google is your friend. Hell, ebay works pretty well, even. Good if you want something specific.

Yora
2010-08-12, 11:14 AM
I actually recommend playing without miniatures. While recent rulebooks talk a lot about squares and such, it's really not neccessary.
When two players want to flank a single opponent, I just have them say so and decided on the spot if any other enemies are close enough to make an Attack of Opportunity. When spellcasters wants to cast area spells, they just ask how many enemies they would hit without hitting their own allies, and I decide on a number depending on the current situation.
While it may sound a bit difficult at first, that's how a lot of RPGs do it, and how D&D has done it before 3rd Edition.

HamHam
2010-08-12, 11:18 AM
Minis are probably best found either at a local gaming store, or an online seller.

valadil
2010-08-12, 11:18 AM

Whichever you like best. If you're leaning towards PF, play PF.

For new players I think premade characters would be best. It's pretty easy to get caught up in the tedium of character creation before you even start playing. Bypass that for them. After they've gotten a taste of the game, let them make their own characters. That said, you should leave some decisions up to them about the characters. Give them some room for development.

Yes, I'd start with a short campaign. I'm convinced that longer campaigns are mostly just filler. Tell a story and let it run its course.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 02:06 PM
I actually recommend playing without miniatures. While recent rulebooks talk a lot about squares and such, it's really not neccessary.

In 4th, it pretty much is mandatory. 3.5 and pf both refer to them occasionally, but you don't *have* to use them.

My preferred method of playing is to actually use minis on a 3d map with modular terrain, similar to those used in games of warhammer fantasy. 1" = 5 ft. Grab a tape measure to easily check distances. Of course, you don't know the precise distance until after you fire. I find this leads to much more realistic use of aoe spells such as fireball, and it also entirely avoids the issue of diagonal movement.

It also looks frigging sweet, and works with most roleplaying systems.

The down side is, it takes a bit of effort to make truly badass terrain.

Kylarra
2010-08-12, 02:12 PM
I'd definitely recommend starting with whatever your initial inclination leads you and your group towards.

Balain
2010-08-12, 02:14 PM
As was said I say pick any system you like.

I would lean to let the players make the characters themselves. We normally play with everyone making their own characters, but we have played a few that the GM made characters and passed them out. Players making their own characters seems to work out best. They get to play what they want.

I would start with one simple adventure or a published one and if you want to keep going just build up around it. If you actually look at the old campaign settings like Greyhawk and Forgotten realms that is how they started.

If you use 3.5 which I think you said you plan to do I would use minis. You don't have to but the rules really do work better with them.

elpollo
2010-08-12, 02:17 PM
As others have said, use whatever edition you want. 3.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/) and Pathfinder (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) have SRDs, which is good as you can have everyone reference rules at home whether they have the books or not. As you already have players it doesn't really matter.

I'd say allow the players to create their own characters (or use the old trick of creating pregens and have the players play them for one session to get used to some of the nuances of the system. In the session have them release an elder evil or something, then have it fade to black at the end. Next time roll up new characters. You can then have an exciting climax with the pregens). As long as you help the players as they create a character they should be fine.

You might want to start with a short story arc (although not campaign - if the players get into their characters then you should let them continue as them), maybe two or three sessions to get some quick resolution, but have leads to a larger campaign (like "Oh, you've successfully save the village, but there are hints of a greater evil behind this").

Have some cliffhangers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ch). These are adventures built around having each session ending with a cliffhanger (although some are a bit "Ooh, what could be around the corner?"). Still, I think they're worth a look.