PDA

View Full Version : Master Thrower/Invisible Blade

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-08-11, 05:22 PM
Ello all,

I was looking into a halfling thrower just for ****s and giggles. I have been doing some research into throwing classes and I notice a lot of suggested builds include 5 levels of invisible blade. The Int to AC and extra sneak attack dice is always nice but the Uncanny Feint ability seems to be the reason anyone would take a dip into said class. My question is does that somehow work with throwing and I just don't know it? Perhaps some combination of feint with the sneaky shot TWT. Or do people just use it to have the versatility of melee as well? My build idea right now is using a halfling with 3 Swashbuckler/ 2 Halfling Rogue/ 2 Chaos Monk/5 Master Thrower/3 Whisperknife/and Perhaps invisible blade to round it out to 20. But I just don't know how those things synergize with each other. HELP haha

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 05:26 PM
Feinting only works in melee combat, so it doesn't really do you any good with ranged combat. Invisible Blade is often included because its prereqs are easy to acomplish as a thrower.

EDIT:
Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-08-11, 05:38 PM
Well that answers that question and awesome build as well.

Ranos
2010-08-11, 06:21 PM
Feinting only works in melee combat, so it doesn't really do you any good with ranged combat. Invisible Blade is often included because its prereqs are easy to acomplish as a thrower.

EDIT:
Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)

Hm, can you even be a glimmerskin strongheart halfling ? Aren't those mutually exclusive subraces ? If not, that would solve a problem I have with my own thrower build.

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 06:26 PM
Check out the actual thread. I asked that question in the first post. The consensus was yes, since they trade out different racials for different abilities. Glimmerskin Halfling means that you are DISTANTLY related to a Gold Dragon. Strongheart Halfling means you are not-quite-as-distantly related to humans.

Thus, such a character might be 1/128th dragon, 31/128th human, and 96/128th halfling, for example. 1/128th is represented as a single member 7 generations removed from you was a full blooded gold dragon.

gorfnab
2010-08-11, 06:30 PM
Strongheart Halfling
1. Rogue - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Craven
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF (DS)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler - Two Weapon Fighting
7. Fighter - Targeteer (DragMag 310) - Vital Aim
8. Fighter - Targeteer (DragMag 310) - Far Shot
9. Swordsage - B: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand, Shadow Blade
10. Swordsage - Assassin's Stance
11. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
12. Master Thrower - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Rapid Shot
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

7 melee attacks per round or 18 daggers thrown per round with palm throw. Dex and Int mod to damage on both ranged and melee attacks. 7d6+20 sneak attack damage with daggers. Halfling Rogue racial substitution from RotW will net you +1d6 sneak attack on ranged attacks but -1d6 sneak attack on melee attacks. Pick up a Rogue's Vest from MIC for an additional +1d6 sneak attack.

Ranos
2010-08-11, 06:34 PM
True. Guess I'll have to ask the DM.

build
Penetrating strike only works on flanking though. How do you use it with a thrown character ?

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-08-11, 06:38 PM
@ gorf

Some of your earlier build posts was some of my influence for the build I was throwing down here. I like using 3 whisperknife and 2 chaos monk however in place of the extra level of rogue and the fighter levels. getting an extra 0-3 attacks per round and then having another Int to AC, spell reflection, and two free feats are more worth in IMO.

And I have seen the strongheart halfling everywhere but I have never heard of the glimmerskin. Ill have to look into that too.

Edit: I see the glimmerskin now. Doesn't really fit what I want but I see what you did there. Also I am pretty unfamiliar with all the variant races. Would the general consensus be that strongheart halflings are best for throwers because of the feat or is there another worth taking my time to look into.

Tentatively I am looking at
Strongheart Halfling
3 Shield of Blades Swashbuckler
2 Halfling Rogue
2 Chaos Monk
5 Master Thrower
3 Whisperknife
5 Invisible Blade

8d6 Sneak with thrown weapons. Daring outlaw and carmendine monk to alter the base classes. Maxed out TWF feats and the rapidshot from Whisperknife would give me anywhere from 16-22 daggers/round. Deadeye feat along with insightful strike will give me dex and int to damage on each 17-20 threat range x3.

gorfnab
2010-08-11, 06:40 PM
True. Guess I'll have to ask the DM.

Penetrating strike only works on flanking though. How do you use it with a thrown character ?
It gives you something to do when you face undead or constructs. Might as well be able to at least deal some damage to them even if you have to get into melee.

gorfnab
2010-08-11, 06:57 PM
@ gorf
Some of your earlier build posts was some of my influence for the build I was throwing down here...
...Would the general consensus be that strongheart halflings are best for throwers because of the feat or is there another worth taking my time to look into.

Yeah I see a lot of threads looking for this type of build and I'm usually one of the first posters to respond.

Strongheart Halflings are great for throwers. The bonus feat is awesome and being able to qualify for Halfling only stuff is nifty. For non-halfling throwers Human, Whispergnome, or Neraph are strong choices.

The only other racial type thing I would say to look into is either buy-off the Dark Creature Template (ToM) or get the permanent version of the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM).

Also I would love to see a level progression of you build that includes what levels you're taking which feats at.

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 07:04 PM
Halflings have a +3 advantage to hit over humans (+1 Size, +1 from +2 dex, +1 Racial with thrown stuffs), and Strongheart Halflings get the bonus feat as well. The only thing you trade down is the ~1/2 a point of damage per dagger thrown due to the size reduction. Its a pretty good trade-off.

(yes, I know that you lose 10' of movement and the extra skill point, but thats not the point above)

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-08-11, 07:14 PM
(yes, I know that you lose 10' of movement and the extra skill point, but thats not the point above)

Funny you should mention that I was just looking at the speed bonus thing. For some reason I hate moving slow. But with the carmendine monk feat I can train the speed bonus every morning to even it out to 30 without wasting my feet slot for magic items.

@ Gorf

I know most DM's I am associated with as a player does not allow LA buyoff. But I will check into this collar of umbral metamorphasis and see whats cracking with it.
P.S. Ill post a feat and everything all together build in here when I get totally finished. If not tonight then tomorrow. Id love to see your input as you obviously have a lot of build ideas in this matter. So i'll get it up as soon as I can.