PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tibbit Sorcerer

Bagel
2010-08-11, 07:14 PM
i've been playing with the idea as a character in a "fun" campaign and i had a few questions:

1) how do i make casting possible in cat form

2) if i apply a template like insectile or winged does it apply to the halfling shape only or to both that shape and the cat?

3) any tricks to make my cat form less likely to be noticed as anything more than a housecat?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-08-11, 07:21 PM
i've been playing with the idea as a character in a "fun" campaign and i had a few questions:

2) if i apply a template like insectile or winged does it apply to the halfling shape only or to both that shape and the cat?

3) any tricks to make my cat form less likely to be noticed as anything more than a housecat?

1) talk to the GM about natural Spell with altered requirments. OR if they dont want to allow that. . . um. . silent and still?

2) If i were GM it would apply to both

3) Bluff skill. . . mechanically you'd have to bluff it. . . if the GM isn't the super mechanical type then practice your cute cuddly face and do cute things like roll over and wiggle with your tummy up and meow in cute ways.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-11, 07:28 PM

The Nonverbal Spell feat from Planar Handbook will allow you to substitute animal sounds for a spell's verbal components. It's not metamagic, so it doesn't increase the spell slot used.

You might still need the Still Spell metamagic feat if your DM doesn't think your cat-limbs can complete the somatic components, however.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-11, 07:59 PM
The Nonverbal Spell feat from Planar Handbook will allow you to substitute animal sounds for a spell's verbal components. It's not metamagic, so it doesn't increase the spell slot used.

You might still need the Still Spell metamagic feat if your DM doesn't think your cat-limbs can complete the somatic components, however.

Surrogate Spellcasting from Savage Species, I believe. Lets you substitute non-humanoid limb gestures and vocalizations for somatic and verbal components.

Thurbane
2010-08-11, 09:19 PM
Surrogate Spellcasting from Savage Species, I believe. Lets you substitute non-humanoid limb gestures and vocalizations for somatic and verbal components.
This. AFAIK, it's the only RAW way for a Tibbit in cat form to cast...short of Still/Silent/Eschew Materials combo.

While Surrogate Casting has a req of 13 WIS (not ideal for a Sorcerer), it means you can cast without level increases from metamagics, and a full round casting time for a spontaneous caster (without yet another feat - Rapid Metamagic, which you can't get until 9th level).

mobdrazhar
2010-08-11, 09:26 PM

I believe that the template only applies to the halfling shape as when you change into cat for you change you whole body... wings and all

Bhu
2010-08-11, 10:25 PM
If your DM allows homebrew peek at 'Behold the Power of Kitteh' in my sig

Bagel
2010-08-11, 10:57 PM
nice homebrew, but the class progression i had in mind is better with the cat stuff being racial.

so far i have

flaw feat: Surrogate casting
flaw feat: Silent Spell
level 1 : Invisible Spell [dragon heritage from sub. class level]
level 3 : Twin Spell
level 6 : Arcane thesis
level 9 : Rapid Metamagic
level 12: Practiced Spellcaster
level 15: Practical Metamagic Twin
level 18: Easy metamagic Twin

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-12, 08:21 AM

Bah, I shoulda known there'd be a better feat in Savage Species. :smallannoyed::smallsigh::smallamused:

Darrin
2010-08-12, 03:13 PM
level 1 : Invisible Spell [dragon heritage from sub. class level]

Be *extremely extremely* careful with this feat. Make sure you discuss it with the DM beforehand, so he has an idea of what kind of rules curveballs you're going to be throwing his way. This feat creates headaches even when you use it for flash-bang-type of spell effects that it was originally intended for. When you start applying it to other types of spells... the rules quickly break down and spend the next few days sobbing inconsolably in a corner.

Bagel
2010-08-12, 08:24 PM
Be *extremely extremely* careful with this feat. Make sure you discuss it with the DM beforehand, so he has an idea of what kind of rules curveballs you're going to be throwing his way. This feat creates headaches even when you use it for flash-bang-type of spell effects that it was originally intended for. When you start applying it to other types of spells... the rules quickly break down and spend the next few days sobbing inconsolably in a corner.

well considering that most of the spell list will be either buffs or blasts invisible spell will not be causing much headache.

I know this all screams suboptimal :P but i'm aiming for an effective tier 3/2 character and a tiny blaster caster with potential flight just tickles the happy centers of my brain :P as i said its a "fun" campaign

Bagel
2010-08-13, 01:22 AM
build change again

going with vow of poverty, but i'm wondering what exalted feats to choose

nymphs kiss is obvious but what other ones are worth it?

feats:

flaw: Sacred vow
Flaw: VoP
Level 1: Surrogate Casting
3: Heighten Spell
6: Invisible Spell
9: Practiced Spellcaster
12: Versatile Spellcaster
15: Rapid Metamagic
18: ???

Exalted
2 Nymph's Kiss
4 ???
6 ???
8 ???
10 ???
12 ???
14 ???
16 ???
18 ???

Bagel
2010-08-13, 02:04 AM
got approval to use variant Vop found here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428
minus the outsider capstone.

so its 6 total feats, probably gonna be metamagic

Touchy
2010-08-13, 02:13 AM
Since 1 and 2 are already covered, have you considered getting leadership, and then before the DM throws his DMG at you, tell him you want a commoner cohort. Dress the commoner in robes, give him a quarterstaff, tell him to pull out his jazzhands and speak gibberish whenever you cast.

Bagel
2010-08-13, 02:24 AM
Since 1 and 2 are already covered, have you considered getting leadership, and then before the DM throws his DMG at you, tell him you want a commoner cohort. Dress the commoner in robes, give him a quarterstaff, tell him to pull out his jazzhands and speak gibberish whenever you cast.

i considered that but i'm not big on character housekeeping.

i was gonna dip into mindbender and act like a animal companion/familiar of one of the other party members.