PDA

View Full Version : Under a Barren Sky

Enlong
2010-08-11, 08:48 PM
Mizuren

A thriving oasis town within the ever-growing Serahn Desert. Built around the largest free oasis in the desert, this town is a major center of commerce within the desert, and a much-desired refuge from the harshness of the waste. Nomadic merchants travel to the town periodically to sell, and many have set up permanent residency around the water's edge. The oasis now is surrounded on all sides by houses and temporary tented areas; encircling the oasis itself and stretching out for several miles. People come from all corners of the desert to trade, rest, and above all, find one of the few reliable sources of water in the desert.

It is to this town that your travels now take you. You each, recently, received a letter requesting your services from someone calling himself Count Belian; though titles mean little in the waste. You were promised "generous" compensation for your services; the letter also suggested that what you do on the mission will bring you benefits for years to come.

You were instructed to find your employer's tent, in gold and jade-green canvas, on the shore of the oasis itself; there you will be told more about the mission.

You can all go ahead and make your first posts; things will move ahead once you're all here and make your way to the tent

Icewalker
2010-08-11, 11:38 PM
A tall thin figure moves through the oasis, swathed and hooded in a long but light cloak of sand colored cloth. A massive bow which seems to be carved from the bones of some massive creature is slung over his back, as well as a simple but well made polearm. Anything else he is carrying, if anything at all, is covered by the cloth trailing him. Little of the face is visible beneath the hood, but a curious passerby looking carefully may note a thin face traced by twisting marks of dark red, twisted into stormlike patterns.

A large and sleek puma trails his path closely, keeping a sharp cat's eye on any curious passerby who takes that careful look.

senrath
2010-08-12, 01:01 AM
A very short lizard-like figure wearing a pale tan caftan with sash, white pantaloons, and a white turban strode casually through the oasis town. The sun glinted off of his bronze scales, his red eyes glinting with intelligence. Despite his seemingly casual manner, it seemed as though this small creature walked with the weight of centuries upon his shoulders. Pausing as he looked around, he pulled a letter out of the pack he carried and read over it. Seemingly satisfied, he replaced the letter and began to walk across the sands once more, his destination clear in his mind.

frogman
2010-08-12, 07:15 AM
A dwarf wanders about the city wearing tattered clothes that once looked well made have been modified to the dwarfs liking. The leg and arm components of the clothing have been torn and are now used to cover his head to protect him from the heat. He wanders around the stalls looking at anything and everything that is up for sale but does not purchase anything due to his lack of currency at this time. After he has had his fill of exploring the oasis town, he makes way for his true destination; the tent with the gold and jade-green canvas in search of this "Count Belian" hoping that he, this job, or his generous reward will lead to Bhelen ending this blight that many call a desert at last.

Solan
2010-08-12, 01:13 PM
http://shop.davidpickford.com/img/lg/desert_nomad_and_camel_rajastan_india.jpg

A tall figure clad in the unmistakable harness of a hydration suit, wrapped in a long and ragged cloak approaches the tent. One hand holds the bridle of a large, two-humped camel, which follows him with an easy gait. If one could see his eyes, they would be darting among the sights, nose sniffing the exotic aromas. His own steps hurry through the crowd, stepping toward the tent in question.

Icewalker
2010-08-12, 07:18 PM
Finding his goal, the brown robed figure stops to observe, and then approach, the guard lounging outside the tent. "Greetings. I am here in search of a man known as Count Belian. I expect you are within his employ? Can you tell me anything of your lord? He has contacted me with a request of services."

kpenguin
2010-08-12, 08:02 PM
A man treads lightly through Mizuren, draped in white and browns, a sword hanging at his back. He takes care to greet passersbies, smiling, and waving. He takes in the noises of the marketplace, the merchants peddling their wares, the patrons haggling prices, the children running underfoot.

Marvelous.

He had missed this, these people. As painful as it was to part with his beloved, he could not stay underground forever.

Fateen fingers the the ring on his left index finger as he arrives at the tent, remembering what he gave up to be here and remembering his promise. Hopefully, this job would give him the wealth to finish his search and release Galatea from her prison.

(OOC: Is there an OOC thread up yet?)

Enlong
2010-08-12, 08:38 PM
The guard looks at the robed man asking him questions.

"Ah, you here for the retrieval mission? Brave man. The count's inside waitin' for ya. So if you'll give me yer letter, you can head on inside and wait for the other four. Once they're here, the count'll tell ya what the mission en...tails... Aw früzbrig." The guard claps his hand to his forehead and mutters an oath in some foreign language. "He didn't even mention anythin' about retrieval in the letters, I'll bet. Doesn't like divulgin' a lot except in person. Whatever, just forget what I said about that, and hand me yer letter so's I can identify it."

(OOC:There is now! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9132161))

Icewalker
2010-08-12, 09:25 PM
Considering the guard closely, he hands over the letter. "I see...Here is the letter." The puma stalking in a slow circle twines past the two, rubbing against Ralcaben and aiming a narrow gaze at the guard.

Enlong
2010-08-12, 09:44 PM
The guard opens the letter and scans its contents carefully. After a while, he pulls out a strange tinted lens and further scrutinizes the letter through it. Eventually, he hands the letter back to Ralcaben and nods.

"Everything seems to be in order. You can go and head on in now, or wait out here for the others. 'S long as you got that with you, you'll be able to head on in whenever."

senrath
2010-08-12, 10:06 PM
Scurrying up to the guard, A'shlk took notice of the man and puma that were standing next to him. Shrugging, he pulled the letter from his pack and offered it to the guard. "I am here to see Count Belian."

frogman
2010-08-12, 10:16 PM
Bhelen marvels at the interesting crowd surrounding the tent and heads over waving his hand with the letter in his hand saying "Hello there lads! Any of you happen to know where I can find a man going by the title of Count Belian? I got this letter from him recently and I was told to meet him here"

kpenguin
2010-08-12, 10:37 PM
Fateen strides over to the tent and inspects the small group gathered around the tent.

"I'm not alone then, I see," he remarks as he pulls out his letter.

Enlong
2010-08-12, 11:46 PM
"One at a time, inspectin' these things takes time. And you, stop wavin' it around like that. 'S a good way to get stuff nicked from ya, especially around here. Yer at the count's tent, so just wait there and I'll get to you soon enough. Now, the letters, hand 'em here and we'll get started."

The guard takes the letters from each of the three travelers in turn, inspecting them in the same way that he did for Ralcaben's. After a few minutes, each letter is passed back to its owner.

"These all seem to be in order. Right, just like I told the other one. The count's inside. You can go on in and wait in the shade if ya want; once the fifth guy joins ya, the Count'll talk to ya about the mission."

Solan
2010-08-13, 01:31 PM
Zanir is silent and seemingly calm throughout the proceedings, communicating with little more than nods after he hands over the letter. Once it has been accepted, he ties up his camel, and hefts the saddle bag over his shoulder before entering the tent.

kpenguin
2010-08-13, 04:33 PM
Fateen ***** an eyebrow. The newcomer seemed... familiar, although Fateen couldn't quite tell under the hydration suit.

He follows the man into the tent.

frogman
2010-08-13, 10:24 PM
Bhelen looks bitterly at the guard and starts muttering to himself as he moves into the tent

Enlong
2010-08-13, 10:35 PM
"Right, that's five letters, so yer all here. You two, follow the others inside. The count's waitin' for ya."

senrath
2010-08-13, 10:36 PM
Shrugging, A'shlk headed into the tent, ready to meet the man who had sought him out across the vast desert.

Icewalker
2010-08-13, 11:43 PM
Looking around the area one last time, Ralcaben strides also into the tent, the puma stopping at the entrance and laying down just to the side of the doorway outside to wait.

Enlong
2010-08-14, 11:59 AM
The inside of the Count's tent lies in stark contrast to the harsh desert sun outside, being heavily shaded by the thick canvas and lit only by the dim flickering firelight of a few hooded lanterns. The floor of the tent is covered with a tarp, designed to keep excess amounts of sand off the floor. The tarp is covered, especially towards the back of the tent, with countless papers, covered with scrawling notes, odd designs, indecipherably complex formulas, and half-finished maps.

At the center of the area is a large wooden desk. The desk appears to be the only area in the tent that has been recently cleaned or organized, as the papers on it are stacked and arranged neatly and marked by a far steadier hand than the papers on the floor. The surface of the desk is also covered by an enormous map, which appears to show the majority of the Serahn desert, with a few locations circled in red ink.

On the side of the desk opposite the tent's door is an old man dressed in thick white robes. His hair appears to have been raven-black once, but most of it has whitened with age, giving his hair an odd two-toned look. His face bears further marks of old age, along with a few thin scars on the left side. As you walk in, he appears to be deep in concentration over the map and the arrangement of the papers on the desk. The sudden flood of sunlight, however, breaks him out of his reverie and he sits up to look at you.

"Ah, come in, come in! Have a seat." He gestures to a set of five meager, but comfortable-looking chairs on your side of the desk "You must be..." He catches a glimpse of the letters you are holding "The workers I sent for, yes. Very good. Very good indeed. I suppose you all want to know why I've summoned the five of you here. I will explain all of that soon enough. First, though, I'd like to know if you have any specific questions; anything you'd care to know before I launch into an explanation of the job."

kpenguin
2010-08-14, 02:11 PM
Fateen takes a seat, smiles, and glances at the contents of the tent.

Impressive set up. Very impressive.

"No questions from me. Just get on to the job."

Icewalker
2010-08-14, 02:58 PM
His interest clearly piqued most by the maps, Ralcaben also takes a seat. "I believe a general explanation should serve well to answer any questions I have considered."

senrath
2010-08-14, 10:07 PM
"If I have any questions after hearing the general explanation, I will ask them then. As it is, I have no specific questions to ask." A'shlk said, standing on his toes in order to see over the desk. Looking around the tent, he found his attention caught by the map with red marks on it.

frogman
2010-08-14, 11:42 PM
"I'm sure I'll have some questions once I hear what you have to say but I'd rather you explain the job first" Bhelen sits and waits for the man to begin.

Solan
2010-08-15, 02:26 PM
Zanir simply shakes his head 'no' at the offer of answers, his visage still concealed behind the cloth wrapping of his hydration suit.

As Fateen speaks, a hidden smile crosses his lips, but Zanir chooses to maintain his anonymity ... for the moment.

Enlong
2010-08-15, 07:40 PM
"Aha! Eager to get to the point, I see. Very good, very good. Well, I've no choice but to oblige, do I? You can ask me questions when I'm done.

To make a particularly long story extremely short, your task is a retrieval mission. Well, I suppose you could call it a 'treasure hunt', in particular. You are to infiltrate a certain location and retrieve a particular gemstone. Nothing illegal, for those of you worried about that sort of thing. The place I'm talking about is very much open to the public. The problem is, of course, in finding what you want and getting out again.

To be specific, your destination is... here."

The count produces a thin wooden rod from the folds of his cloak and brandishes it at the map. The tip of the rod hovers over a particular are of the map circled in red.

"I trust you are all familiar with the Keishan Mesa?* I have it on good authority that an item I am looking for is housed within the Mesa itself: apparently, a good deal of the place is hollowed out; forming a sort of vault for... certain treasures. I suspect... no, I am certain that the gem I seek lies within that rock. Your job is to go to the Mesa, find this gem, and bring it to me. You will be rewarded very handsomely for your services, should you accomplish this mission."

The count gestures to two scrolls laid on the table.

"These two papers will be vital for your mission. The first contains instructions on how to open the mesa. That is, it's what my informants believe opens it. If all else fails, it's just a rock wall, I doubt it would slow down people of your caliber very long, ha ha ha. The second scroll is a painting. It will help you identify your target:"

The count unfurls the second scroll and shows it to you. On it is a drawing of an extravagantly large gemstone. The gem is intricately cut into the shape of a single drop of water, and is a pure deep blue, as deep a blue as the ocean, all the way through.

"The Right Eye Of Azul. This gemstone is your target. Bring it to me, and I will pay you any price you care to name."

*Knowledge Geography check: DC 10

The Keishan Mesa is a colossal slab of black rock jutting out of the sands of the Serahn Desert. Not much information about the Mesa is easily availible, mainly because of the fact that patches of Black Sand have been seen around the mesa, giving most explorers just cause to give the site a wide berth. The Mesa lies approximately three days march due east from Mizuren.

frogman
2010-08-15, 07:50 PM
"Four questions;

1.Surely such a treasure is well guarded or someone would have claimed it by now. Do you know anything about it's defenses?

2. Is there anyone else you know of that also seeks this gem that could be trouble?

3. If you don't mind me asking since this is a legal operation after all; why are you after such a gem?

4. And most importantly, about this handsome reward...when you say any price..."

kpenguin
2010-08-15, 07:53 PM
[roll0]

Fateen leans back in his chair.

"I echo the dwarf's questions.

Also, I assume we have free reign over whatever other treasures we find other than this gem of yours?"

Enlong
2010-08-16, 12:46 AM
"Others that may want the gem? I could think of a thousand names. However, what's important is whether any of them are in a position to hinder you, yes? I can think of only one group who may slow your path. A leader of bandits and raiders. I am unsure as to their full motives, or even the name of the organization; I do know one thing, however. They are also after the Eye. Through my not inconsiderable network of scouts, I have had more than a hundred likely locations inspected" Here he lets the pointer drift over the map, to other red circles, each of which has been crossed out with a single red slash "And each time, one of their agents has shown up not long after. Each raiding party they send has at least one member bearing this badge." He produces a small bronze disk, with the vague image of a skull imprinted on it. "Strangely enough, none of them showed up to harass my informants when they inspected the Keishan Mesa. The hidden door was still sealed; none of the locks or magics had been disturbed, so either I've found a site they haven't, or they haven't been there yet. Either way, you should indeed take caution.

But I don't want to scare you off; know that while they sound suitably ominous, their raiding parties are no stronger than any other pack of bandits you might find out in the desert."

"Now then, as to the defenses of the gem, I cannot be exact, but I can tell you general things to expect. The vault has been sealed for a great long time, so any defenses in there will be ones built to last. So expect things like pits or enduring magical traps instead of, say, dart shooters. If there are any "guardians" within the place, they will either be undead or constructs created to guard the treasure. The best advice I can give you there is to be especially cautious. Do not take any room for granted; they were all built to deter intruders."

"As for why I want the gem? Suffice it to say that the gem has some very potent magical properties. If used right, I believe it could improve life throughout this godsforsaken desert immensely."

"And as to the payment. When I say any price, I do of course mean any price I can pay you. My wealth is not inconsiderable, but understand that there are limits even to that. And yes, you may take any other treasure you find in the vault. Consider it advance payment towards your fee."

frogman
2010-08-16, 01:10 AM
"well, I think that about settles it"

The dwarf rises from his chair and claps and rubs his hands together

"I have no more questions though a can't speak for my new comrades. They may have more questions but I would like to request some funds in order to attain transport for the journey and if I could, I would one of those badges. It could prove useful somehow on the journey

He also examines this badge closely

"aside from my requests, I am ready."

Solan
2010-08-16, 01:41 PM
Zanir listens intently throughout the description of their task. As the discussion moves toward a conclusion, he simply rises:

You will have your Eye.

senrath
2010-08-16, 04:01 PM
"Well, I'm in. It's not like I have anything better to do." The kobold said, glancing around at the people who would be his new companions.

Icewalker
2010-08-16, 04:37 PM
Ralcaben nods at the count. "This seems a job I am glad to participate in. I do wish to know however in what way you intend to, as you say it, greatly improve life in the desert with use of this stone."

Enlong
2010-08-17, 12:00 AM
The count nods at the request for mounts and hefts a small leather purse.

"There should be enough gold in here to cover the cost of mounting each of you. You can, of course, find adequate stables here in the city. As for the badge, take it; I have many. If you do run into anyone who wears these badges, I would like it if you tell me about it when you return."

At Ralcaben's question, he chooses his words carefully.

"When I called the gem the Right Eye of Azul, I was indeed referring to that Azul; the rain-god worshiped by a great many cults across the desert. The Eye is said to have been created by one of these groups. It was used in their rituals of appeasement for the rain god, and it's said that, by careful enchantment or even a gift from Azul himself, the gem inherited some of the god's powers. Reports about the gem grow a little fuzzy around this point. Some say that they saw the gem's powers as a gift from Azul himself, and they enshrined it in their most holy temple, and some say that they saw the gem as a test, or a curse, and entombed it.

Either way, the gem's powers are real enough: I have reports of it being used from people who saw it personally.

The gem is said to be an incarnation of Azul's rarely seen generosity. The Right Eye Of Azul has the power to create rain. Infinitely. I don't think I need to explain how I could 'improve' life around here with that power, do I?"

kpenguin
2010-08-17, 12:14 AM
As Zanir speaks, Fateen raises an eyebrow and then grins broadly.

This was going to be fun.

Following along with the Count's explanation, his nods along.

"Create rain, you say? Well, then. This retrieval mission is of the utmost importance."

His eyes twinkle. For a moment, they look more like precious stones than eyes.

"It shall be done, Count."

frogman
2010-08-17, 01:04 AM
"If this gem could truly make it rain endlessly then my people might actually be able to find this place habitable again!"

Bhelens face lights up with glee.

"What the hell are we waiting around here for?! I going to get a steed then lets get out there and get that gem!"

Bhelen rushes out of the tent but pops his head back in a few moments later

"Oh and thanks for the badge. I'll be back soon. Everyone be ready to go when I get back!"

The joy on his face at this point is impossible to describe at this point and after saying these last few words he departs traveling as fast as his dwarven legs would carry him.

Solan
2010-08-17, 11:12 AM
As he turns to leave the tent, Zanir raises his fist and gives Fateen a good, hard whack in the shoulder.

Unarmed Strike Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] Subdual, if it hits :)

He then gives out a short, high-pitched giggle and strides out of the tent.

kpenguin
2010-08-17, 06:57 PM
"I require a mount as well, dwarf. I'll come with you and-"

Fateen turns to blunt the punch, Zanir's fist just grazing his shoulder. He chuckles quietly as Zanir leaves.

Never did know how to throw a proper punch, that one.

"I'll come with you and buy one as well."

Icewalker
2010-08-18, 09:47 AM
Ralcaben sits in contemplation a moment longer, gazing strongly into the eyes of the count. "I see. An interesting proposition. But be warned, Lord Belian: you must not attempt to destroy the whole of these wastes. There is a balance in this world, and neither the desert nor the rain can cover all. Keep this in mind lest you find yourself facing foes you may find well beyond you and your men. But, I will trust you to make the right decision, and I will help to recover this stone. I too fear the uncontrolled spread of these sands." With this parting, the ranger stands from his seat and walks from the tent with the others, the puma rising from it's place to shoot a look back towards the now lone count as they exit.

Enlong
2010-08-28, 09:53 PM
As the panther's silhouette leaves the tent's entrance, the Count looks over his map. A smile crosses his lips.

"Yes, they'll do fine."

Mizuren has four large stables; one in each compass direction, set at the edge of town. Due to the expanding nature of the town, the stables are non-permanent tented establishments, as a matter of necessity. If Mizuren was not famous for its oasis and thriving trade, the stables might just be enough to put the place on the map by themselves. The tents house a menagerie of beasts of burden. Camels of all breeds and ages, Ashworms for those in need of a more exotic ride, and for a little more coin, one may even find magical beasts, or even a dust twister for rent.

frogman
2010-08-31, 01:36 AM
Bhelen looks upon the many different mounts in amazement. He goes to the shop keeps and asks for the individual names of the different creatures and what exactly they do. After gathering a comprehensive list he states:
"These worms beasts are impressive! How much would they cost and is there anything special I need to know when I care for and possibly ride one?"

When the person selling the creatures mentions a price, Bhelen will pull out the pouch of coins provided by his employer and see if he has enough to purchase one.

Enlong
2010-09-01, 12:30 AM
"Looking to ride an ashworm eh? You're the adventurous type, I'll bet. One 'o the worms'll run ya about... 200 gold. That's before the saddle and such, of course. And ya can't just slap any o'l horse's saddle on one of these and think it'll fit. Ya need the proper saddle for one. We can get set'cha up with a good saddle for a worm; that'll run ya about another 60 gold."

Looking in the purse, you find a sum of about 1200 Gold, in gold and platinum, with spare change for small transactions in silver and copper.

"Now, I ain't fool enough to discourage sale, but I hope you're up to the task with one o' these beauties. You know Ashworms yeah? Beautiful creatues out in the sands; they can burrow through dust and grit as easily as a fish swims through water. And therin lies the problem. Nobody's really figured out how to fully domesticate the beasts. When you're riding, the worm'll try to burrow underground every day or so. If ya can't keep a hold of the reins, he'll go under and you'll end up flat on your back 'til he comes back up. Oh, they always come back up quickly, but it's real embarassing to lose control of yer mount every day. So I hope that you're an experienced rider; ya gotta know how to assert yer control whenever the worm acts up."

"Anway", you got the spiel and the warnin's. You lookin' to buy one?"

frogman
2010-09-01, 12:59 PM
"HAH! As if fear of embarrassing himself will ever stop a dwarf! I have no fear of losing control of the beast! Here's your money if you could find me some armor to put on the creature I'd be happy to pay for that as well.

Bhelen makes a note of the fact that his pouch now has 940 gold before armor

If any of the rest of you want a ride you should buy one now while we all have the pouch here.

senrath
2010-09-03, 12:50 AM
"I think I will purchase a camel." Taking a handful of coins from the pouch that Bhelen held, A'shlk approached a man who was selling camels. "Excuse me, sir, but I wish to purchase the mildest camel you have, as well as bit and bridle for it."

Enlong
2010-09-03, 10:23 PM
"Right, a camel. Will that be one hump or two? Two humped can ride a bit longer each day, but they're a tad slower."

senrath
2010-09-03, 10:33 PM
"Whichever is easier on the novice rider. I'd assume two-humped, if they're slower."

Icewalker
2010-09-04, 11:05 PM
Ralcaben moved directly to the stabled ashworms, looking them over for a few moments before approaching one with a mottled tan pattern of carapace, and carefully checking under the folds of shell, nodding. "Healthy. Good clean clip on the stinger. What's his name?"

Enlong
2010-09-06, 08:52 PM
"That one answers to Grit. Yeah, pretty simple name, I know, but I like it."

"So that's a hundred gold for the two-hump, plus ten for a saddle, and another 260 for Grit."