PDA

View Full Version : Space Bar D=

Haruki-kun
2010-08-11, 10:28 PM
No, I don't mean a place to get beverages in Space. The Space Bar on my new laptop is really crappy. It doesn't seem to respond unless you hit it dead center, or really far down.

I'd like to think this can be fixed somehow. Anyone got any idea?

Cealocanth
2010-08-11, 10:44 PM
Try taking the key off and cleaning out the underside. Check for any blockage of some sort. If not, Try putting it back a further off the keyboard's face.

If someone out there can give better advice, I suggest you take it. My advice is only slightly better in equivalency to "jiggle the battery".

Haruki-kun
2010-08-11, 10:47 PM
Try taking the key off and cleaning out the underside. Check for any blockage of some sort. If not, Try putting it back a further off the keyboard's face.

If someone out there can give better advice, I suggest you take it. My advice is only slightly better in equivalency to "jiggle the battery".

I'm willing to, but I'm afraid of breaking it....

Can this be done with laptop keyboards? And how do you go about it?

Cealocanth
2010-08-11, 10:49 PM
I've done it plenty of times on my laptop, so yes, they can be removed and replaced. You're right though, breaking it is a distinct possibility if you're not careful.

Tirian
2010-08-11, 10:52 PM
I'd recommend this for any key except the space bar. Those things are easy to break if you casually pop it off, and then you don't have a space bar and maybe you've voided your warranty.

I don't know much about laptops, but I'd give real thought to calling customer support first.

Xyk
2010-08-11, 10:56 PM
That happens occasionally to me with various keys. Especially 'a', 'y' and space. Usually it's a crumb in the way. I usually just blast underneath the key with air-in-a-can.

Edit @Rawhide: That took me a full 2 seconds to understand. Your humor is boundless.

Rawhide
2010-08-11, 11:02 PM
http://chzsomuchpun.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/35298cba-36c6-49d2-9c10-9f7042bc8014.jpg

Haruki-kun
2010-08-11, 11:10 PM
That happens occasionally to me with various keys. Especially 'a', 'y' and space. Usually it's a crumb in the way. I usually just blast underneath the key with air-in-a-can.

When it's brand new, though?

Well, I guess I could try it out.

I'd recommend this for any key except the space bar. Those things are easy to break if you casually pop it off, and then you don't have a space bar and maybe you've voided your warranty.

I don't know much about laptops, but I'd give real thought to calling customer support first.

OK, I think I'll call someone first. Now to figure out how to do that from Mexico..... <.<

http://chzsomuchpun.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/35298cba-36c6-49d2-9c10-9f7042bc8014.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/funny-pictures-kitten-shoe-loled-1.jpg

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-11, 11:26 PM
Your laptop wouldn't happen to be a Vaio, would it? My Vaio's space bar appeared to crap out on me a while back. The entire right side became non-responsive, forced me to change my typing technique dramatically. A few months ago, I actually removed the keyboard plate thing and dusted it out (to solve a different problem) then tapped on the space key rather sharply. Seemed to pop it back into place, it's been working like new ever since.

Long shot, I know, but maybe that or something similar is worth a try. (Just be sure to find a guide on how to crack open your laptop safely! Your manufacturer's website should have such a thing, somewhere.)

KuReshtin
2010-08-12, 05:04 AM
if it's a brand new laptop, then i'd suggest that you first try to use compressed air to clean out anything that's stuck under the space bar, and if that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer of the laptop.
Removing the key on your own, without having the express advice from the manufacturer's support desk will void the warranty of the keyboard.

if you contact the manufacturer, they will know if it's a common fault with that model of laptop, and if it's something you can't fix, they will replace the keyboard for you (or send a new one that you can replace yourself).

IonDragon
2010-08-12, 08:35 PM
Do this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/keyboards_are_disgusting.png