PDA

View Full Version : Were-war (The X-Animals)

FlamingKobold
2010-08-11, 11:25 PM
The city of Derrar is a place of extreme conflict, physically and politically. During the day, it is a city like any other in the world; it has a noble family that rules alongside a chamber of advisors, it levies taxes on the citizens and there’s some strife between different officials in power. But when the people lock their doors, the shops close and the moon rises, everything changes. As long as the citizens can remember, there have been problems with therianthropes, but it’s … different than other places, even in this sense. While other cities occasionally have a werewolf problem, they very rarely have a perpetual and unstoppable number of were-people of all different kinds of animals. But even stranger is their behavior, for civilians have seen several times over the years the animals fighting each other, which is seen by the people as them being even more aggressive. Despite their efforts, the officials cannot stop the problem, and this is, perhaps, in part because of the actions of the weres themselves. There are unverified rumors that some of the governmental officials are were-people themselves, but most dismiss these ideas as nonsensical.

Invisible to the people, there are actually two competing factions of therianthropes in their city. One group believes that humans are inferior and that a society of were-people would be much better and are responsible for the negative publicity that all therianthropes have in the city. Their opposition believe that all life is important and seek to protect the people, even as they are being persecuted.

Derrar is in a state of chaos, with the were factions stronger than ever. But which side wins this momentous struggle is up to you.

As the therianthropes that believe in all life, you are trying to stop what the killers are trying to do. Your base of operations is in the cellar of a bar that is conveniently owned by a therianthropic ally of yours on the north side of the city. It is midday in the fall, and you are in your base, as there has not been an attack by the other therianthropes in over a month.

OOC is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9126196#post9126196)

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 12:03 AM
Guthbrand paces back and forth in the base. He currently wears the weak skin of a man, 6' 5" tall and his hair tied back in a ponytail. He moves with the impatience of a caged tiger, and he's practically growling with rage. He's waiting for the chance to fight against his fellow theranthropes again; he's a warrior it's the only way to keep his edge. At the same time he wonders what they are plotting, and fears that this may only be the calm before the storm. If they choose to attack and fight in open combat he will face them whether they are one or many and he will grin as battle is joined, but Guthbrand suspects some more sinister plot is brewing and that leaves him a little... twitchy.

Vexxation
2010-08-12, 12:34 AM
Richard

Richard stands at the head a large table, staring vacantly at the papers strewn across it. He kneads his forehead with his hand, wiping sweat from it and his face. He stares down once more. The ceasefire is curious... very curious.

The large man strokes his golden beard and hopes to himself that his foolish brethren have seen the light... but the only light they care about seems to be that of the Moon. He sighs, barely audibly, and collapses into a chair. "Guthbrand, settle yourself. I'm sure we'll see action soon, sad though it may be.. I just hope when they finally resurface, we're there..." he says, looking up at the ceiling, before yawning deeply.

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 12:48 AM
Guthbrand's fingers drum upon the handle of one of the two axes, in this case the one noticeably too large for him, on his back. "My axe grows rusty waiting. And it wouldn't be as bad if we knew what they were plotting, let us clash steel against steel and see who is the victor."

shadowedsoul
2010-08-12, 02:09 AM
Nessa

Nessa watches the big man pace impatiently, grinning a little to herself. She's sitting perfectly still, in that way that mammals seem to find somewhat disconcerting.
I understand his desire to fight the good fight, but learning more about why there haven't been any attacks should be our top priority.
She thinks as Richard and Guthbrand converse.

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 02:16 AM
Finally with a scowl Gruthbrand grows tired of waiting. Leaning his larger axe and massive javelins against a wall, he growls out, "I need some fresh air."

Then he heads towards the door to go out into the bar and take a stroll around town, and see if walking will calm him or maybe find some people willing to put on a wrestling match.

Vexxation
2010-08-12, 02:26 AM
Richard

"Hmph. Bit of a hothead. Too eager," Richard mutters, to nobody in particular. "Nessa, what's your take on this situation? I dislike the uneasiness in which we are awash of late," he says, still looking at the ceiling.

If they're planning something big, we need to find out. Let's hope we can move in before anyone gets hurt. I hate being too late... Richard thinks, drifting a tad.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-12, 10:05 AM
Nessa

They're planning something big. Either that or they've gotten good enough that even I can't smell what they're doing, and I find that unlikely.
The little lizard replies.
And although Guthbrand is a little too eager for a fight I don't entirely disagree with him, we need to step up our efforts to locate their base of operations, fighting a reactionary war is fighting a losing war.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-12, 12:31 PM
Emily

Emily frowned slightly, and sighed.

"I wish we could all just work together..." she said sadly.
The girl, as she normally did, wore her hybrid form, appearing mostly human, a soft coat of white fur the only thing distinguishing her from normal-besides the long horn on her forehead.

FlamingKobold
2010-08-14, 12:16 AM
Guthbrand is greeted by a light breeze and the smell of fresh air as he departs the bar. Walking around town, people are out and about, shopping, laughing and working with the sun high in the sky. Put off by Guthbrand large, muscular frame and look of determination, the rest of the population get out of his way as he wades through the crowds of the city.

Zaydos
2010-08-14, 12:47 AM
Guthbrand smiles happily as the sun's warmth hits his face. The humans' smiles and laughter remind him why he wants to defend them in the first place. He still wishes for some sort of battle to keep his warrior's edge, but more and more a simple friendly match seems best and he looks for a group of men (or town guard) willing to meet him in an exhibition match for the betterment of the skills of all those involved and the entertainment of the citizenry. He's more than willing to take on all comers in a wrestling bout, as many as wish to rush him at once, as long as no one is armed and no one strikes to kill.

(should I roll a skill check to find people to wrestle? If so which skill?)

FlamingKobold
2010-08-26, 01:30 AM
As the day goes on, any of you traveling through the town or conversing with townsfolk hear of a very unfortunate occurrence: a kidnapping. Now, this isn't a standard kidnapping at all. Ramon Grallson, a renowned alchemist from a city near Derrar, has gone missing, with tales of therianthropes being behind it.

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 02:55 PM
I stop my random wanderings looking for wrestling matches and rush back to the HQ to inform the others.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-26, 08:22 PM
"What is it?" said Emily, going up to him worriedly as he comes to the door.

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 08:31 PM
"News, around town." Guthbrand says swiftly as he enters. "Kidnapping, weres involved. We ought to investigate."

Vexxation
2010-08-27, 08:19 AM
Richard sets down the paper he was perusing. His head snaps toward the door, toward Guthbrand. "Weres? Kidnapping! We've no time to lose, lest we allow some hideous fate to befall our missing person!" he says, louder than he probably should, approaching the door swiftly.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-27, 09:51 AM
Emily gave a nod of support, following.

Zaydos
2010-08-27, 12:31 PM
Guthbrand also leaves, still leaving his over-sized ax as he doesn't want to attract the extra attention.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-27, 07:43 PM
Nessa

Nessa rolls her eyes at Richard's outburst, but follows him out into the street.
We should probably not travel as a group, we might spook any potential informants if we rush out en masse.
She says calmly as she leaves the lair.

How cosmopolitan is this city? Nessa is a little lizard girl after all, so if there's a fair bit of prejudice against the non-PHB style races she'll probably just stick to the shadows.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-28, 07:45 AM
"Maybe we should try and look... human?" suggested Emily.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-28, 09:17 AM
Nessa

Nessa snorts at Emily.
And how do you suggest I do that? A group will certainly draw unwanted attention to itself whether or not they look human though, especially since we're not part of the watch and are trying to find out how much people know about a crime.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-28, 09:58 AM
"I was just trying to help." she said sadly.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 10:25 AM
"We still have to ask questions. We keep to our human forms and we don't go all together. Maybe I ought to join the town guard while we're at it; get some action that way." Guthbrand says quickly.