PDA

View Full Version : Duskblades' Arcane Channeling and Stand Still Feat

Chewz
2010-08-12, 12:48 AM
Does spell damage because of a Duskblade's arcane channeling class feature add to the reflex save DC on Stand Still?

__________________________________________________ _______________

Here's the text:

"Arcane Channeling (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you konw and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.
At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you konw as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round." - PHB2

"Stand Still [General]
You can prevent foes from fleeing or closing.

Prerequisite
Str 13.

Benefit
When a foe’s movement out of a square you threaten grants you an attack of opportunity, you can give up that attack and instead attempt to stop your foe in his tracks. Make your attack of opportunity normally. If you hit your foe, he must succeed on a Reflex save against a DC of 10 + your damage roll (the opponent does not actually take damage), or immediately halt as if he had used up his move actions for the round.

Since you use the Stand Still feat in place of your attack of opportunity, you can do so only a number of times per round equal to the number of times per round you could make an attack of opportunity (normally just one).

Normal
Attacks of opportunity cannot halt your foes in their tracks." - EPH

The way I interpret it is, because Stand Still says, "plus your damage roll" it means I roll damage and add it as if I had made an attack of opportunity, which includes my spell's damage. He claims that because the spell is activated and delivered because of the attack, i doesn't apply. Essentially, it isn't a part of the attack action so it doesn't apply to the damage roll here. He cites: "the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved." However, for everything else BUT this feat, my channeling damage applies.

Help prove me right or prove me wrong.

EDIT: Also, does the full-round channel apply to AoO? I'm 100% sure it does, but my DM somewhat doubts it so we want clarification.

Eronai_Jantig
2010-08-12, 01:01 AM
To your first question, I'm not entirely sure how those types of things interact, typically my DM allowed stacking things to apply as one attack, so spell stored and smiting spells + weapon damage and inspire courage damage, would all apply to a counterspell attempt for example.

Per the second question, I'm pretty sure it clearly applies to AoOs, it refers to the "round", not "turn", so any extra attacks it'll count. (As long as your using your weapon presumably.)

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-12, 01:17 AM
The question that needs answered is "Does an attack of opportunity count as a Standard Action". If it does, I'd let them do it.

Frosty
2010-08-12, 01:34 AM
The rules are clear on this. You can't use Arcane Channeling with your AoOs, so it and Stand Still will never interact.

Denkal
2010-08-12, 01:55 AM
Arcane Channeling can be used on AoOs, provided you used a Full Attack action on your last turn with the spell, since it applies to all your attacks that round.

Now, since the skill specifically separates the damage from the effect of the spell, I would rule that the damage from the physical attack would go to Stand Still, and the spell would affect the target as if you'd casted it and succeeded on your touch attack.

Chewz
2010-08-12, 01:55 AM
Could you possibly point me to where they are clear? It says it lasts all round, and judging by the way they use 'turn' and 'round' in PHB2 and other sources, I'm pretty sure it was intended to work all round.

EDIT: Thanks, this is pretty much the conclusion we had reached, because it doesn't make sense how a spell would stop them anyway, and it would instead discharge.