PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, and I play with "meh" rule knowledge players.

Nick_mi
2010-08-12, 01:07 AM
So, I look at the level up table and see at level 6 most classes go

+6/+1 Base Attack.

I asked what that means, and they said you get a second action(attack). To me, it seems like there is no reason to prestige because you can't get multiple attacks, but I feel like I have to be wrong. Am I?

eggynack
2010-08-12, 01:09 AM
When you reach +6 bab you get an iterative attack, regardless of the prestige classes you take.

Kylarra
2010-08-12, 01:09 AM
Iterative attacks are gained whenever your base attack bonus reaches the requisite thresholds, regardless of what your table saves.

Base Attack Bonus

A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack.

Mando Knight
2010-08-12, 01:12 AM
Yes. Prestige classes don't list the iterative attacks, as they add on to your base attack bonus and thus the table can't predict when you'll get iterative attacks. Honestly, with multiclassing between base classes, I wouldn't list iterative attacks on base classes either, but whatever.

Regardless of whether you get your BAB from a prestige class or base class, you gain one extra attack per full attack action every time you go past a BAB divisible by 5: +6, +11, and +16. Epic levels don't add iterative attacks for higher BAB, so it caps at four attacks.

Aroka
2010-08-12, 01:27 AM
Regardless of whether you get your BAB from a prestige class or base class, you gain one extra attack per full attack action every time you go past a BAB divisible by 5: +6, +11, and +16. Epic levels don't add iterative attacks for higher BAB, so it caps at four attacks.

Actually, epic levels don't add base attack at all, ever - you get an epic attack bonus, which is separate but kinda related:

"Any time a feat, prestige class, or other rule refers to your base attack bonus (except for gaining additional attacks), use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus."

Thus, if you had BAB +10/+5 at 20th level, you'll only get two attacks at 50th level.

IIRC the four iterative attack limit is stated somewhere, but I can't find it in the SRD just now; basically, this means that a 60 HD outsider using a weapon still only gets four attacks, at +60/+55/+50/+45.

Jornophelanthas
2010-08-12, 06:50 AM
The above responses are correct.

As an additional note, keep in mind that these additional attacks can only be used if you attack using a full-round action. If you use a standard action to attack, all you get is a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This means that in order to actually use any additional attacks (including e.g. those you gain by wielding two weapons, or through use of the "haste" spell), you have to forego your move action.

(I'm just mentioning this because you indicated that both you and your fellow players are no experts on the rules. Just in case.)

Aroka
2010-08-12, 05:39 PM
That's actually kind of a terrible rule that screws melee combatants. I think Conan d20, for instance, allows movements and full attacks, but I'm not sure. (I know everyone effectively automatically has Spring Attack in Conan d20, so they can move both before and after making an attack.)

LansXero
2010-08-12, 06:09 PM
Thats what things like pounce, travel devotion and the like are for.

Aroka
2010-08-12, 06:26 PM
Thats what things like pounce, travel devotion and the like are for.

Feat/ability taxes are stupid, though.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-08-12, 09:04 PM
Hey. Don't forget the spell scribing wizard cost, aka the awesome tax.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-12, 09:10 PM
Hey. Don't forget the spell scribing wizard cost, aka the awesome tax.
Buy a better spellbook :P
Aureon’s Spellshard: Unlike a common spellshard, Aureon’s spellshard holds the equivalent of 500 pages of spells, and a wizard can imprint spells in it without paying the usual material component cost.