PDA

View Full Version : AMF and wall

Adamaro
2010-08-12, 04:26 AM
There is a stone wall, one feet thick. On one side of a wall, next to it is a caster. He casts AMF on himself. On the other side, right next to the wall is another person.

My question is: is the other person engulfed in AMF?

I find an idea of Line of effect in this case just ... strange. Does AMF really not work on the other side of the wall and is the wall/sheet of paper/some tinfoil this way able to block magic?

Kaww
2010-08-12, 04:31 AM
Spell says emanation:

Emanation(PH p175)
Cannot go around corners or though Total
Cover. Any creature that enters the
emanation during the spell’s duration is
effected.

Harris the Ford
2010-08-12, 09:37 AM
I guess tinfoil hats aren't just for crazies anymore!

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 09:40 AM
So, an Iot7v's veil then blocks an AMF? Or does it merely continue to exist in the AMF?

Douglas
2010-08-12, 09:53 AM
So, an Iot7v's veil then blocks an AMF? Or does it merely continue to exist in the AMF?
That depends on whether you interpret the "duplicates layers of Prismatic Wall" bit to include Prismatic Wall's immunity to AMF. The wording on that is rather less than perfectly clear, as I recall. If you do, then the color(s) of the Iot7V's veil that block spells block the AMF. If you don't, then any veil raised gets suppressed by the AMF and has no effect. In any case, colors that don't block spells don't block AMF.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-12, 09:59 AM
That depends on whether you interpret the "duplicates layers of Prismatic Wall" bit to include Prismatic Wall's immunity to AMF. The wording on that is rather less than perfectly clear, as I recall. If you do, then the color(s) of the Iot7V's veil that block spells block the AMF. If you don't, then any veil raised gets suppressed by the AMF and has no effect. In any case, colors that don't block spells don't block AMF.

Well, it wouldn't be a duplication unless it acted the same way...so yes.

Down to color then. That makes sense. Otherwise, despite being based on a "wall", they're certainly not completely solid, impassible, etc.

ericgrau
2010-08-12, 10:08 AM
Also provides another interesting application for a tower shield, though you still can't reach the AMF guy himself.

Douglas
2010-08-12, 10:19 AM
I don't have my books with me at the moment to check, but I'm not sure if it actually says the word "duplicate" or any variation thereof. It might just say "similar to" or "imitates" or something like that, in which case it could easily be interpreted to mean "here's the inspiration for these, but all the actual rules for them are right here, and we don't mention AMF immunity so the veils don't have it."

hamishspence
2010-08-12, 12:30 PM
The precise wording was:

"These layers duplicate the layers of a prismatic wall, and are described below"

Vangor
2010-08-12, 12:36 PM

Only duplicates the layers, though, not the spell effect itself such as blinding.

Kami2awa
2010-08-12, 12:40 PM
That's pretty odd behaviour for anything called "field" though.

Marnath
2010-08-12, 05:28 PM
I don't know what the RAW is, but i've always assumed AMF passes through material. Especially in Faerun, where the weave is present in every molecule of the world, and amf is a suppression of the weave.