PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summoner questions/discussion

soulsabre345
2010-08-12, 05:33 AM
I have a couple general questions about the summoner. I've seen it referenced that apparently there's a evolution to give eidolons SLAs, and i can't find out where the rule is listed.

Also, in the forum's opinion considering the summoner doesn't have much in the way of a combat role other than buffing the eidolon, what is a good option? I know wands always work, but considering it has a medium bab and not a poor might as well take advantage of it.

I was thinking there was the general options of using the eidolon as a mount with a reach weapon, or go with a bow and use the eidolon as a tank. for myself i want to make it quadrupedal, so advice around that type would be appreciated :smallsmile:

Roel
2010-08-12, 08:38 AM
What about riding it and using a spear or javelins. Or mount a rather large repeating crossbow on its back and you have a turret :D

Nero24200
2010-08-12, 11:55 AM
From what I've heard the SLA evolutions were removed in the final version of the APG. If you look at the beta version (which is a free download on the site) you might find the evolutions you are looking for.

soulsabre345
2010-08-12, 03:28 PM
Repeating crossbow might be fun :). I will say my original idea for mounted combat was to be a half-orc for the falchion/greataxe proficiency, or go human and use the bonus feat to get EWP for the spiked chain since I would very much like to not have to multiclass.

My problem with the spear is that it works best when using it and a shield with pounce involved. Pounce is not achievable without multiclassing, and a shield is out of the question since it imposes ASF and i don't want to be picking up and dropping it every other round

I would think a reach weapon would be better in this situation just for the versatility. Oh, and let's try and not involve horrifically cheesy things if possible, I'd like to use this character without getting smote by the DM

Post Edits:
Edit in response to Rixx: removed the pounce comment

Rixx
2010-08-12, 03:38 PM
You can't get pounce through Aspect because you aren't a quadruped.

soulsabre345
2010-08-12, 09:19 PM
bumping up for more input.

Also, What about using reduce person before level 8 or so to be able to mount early on? viable or not worth the trouble? And for the aspect bonuses, what would be a good choice for a melee-oriented summoner? energy immunity, natural armor bonuses?