PDA

View Full Version : Loot!

crazywolf
2010-08-12, 07:39 AM
The game i'm running has an evil necromancer as a main vilian who is hideing out in and old fort he has hired some goblins to watch over the place. He also has some aprentices (and a huch back sidekick who follows him everyware), this will be a 1st-2 level campaing, because of some adventuring inbetween. But what loot should they find there? the loot will be from
* the necromancer (the room he was in)
*some goblins
*2-3 1st level necromancers
*some undead
what does the playground think?

Panigg
2010-08-12, 07:46 AM
Standard loot + quest relevant items. Can't really go crazy on a level 2 party.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-12, 07:57 AM
Let's see.... (and assuming D&D 3.5)

Undead: Probably not much in the way of treasure. Some coins or maybe a piece of jewelry or low-quality gear.

Goblins: Again, not too much treasure, but more than the undead would have. Better coins (possibly some gold) and standard gear. Goblin leaders might have masterwork weapons, maybe even a +1 sword, and possibly some alchemical items that don't get used up. And maybe a couple of healing potions.

Low-level Necromancers: Depends on if they're wizards or clerics. Wizards have spell books, clerics might have some masterwork armor or something. Possibly some rare spell components either way. Maybe an interesting potion or some extremely minor magical items.

Big Necromancer: Same as the weaker necros, plus a couple magic items. A Ring of Protection +1 or maybe some Bracers of Armor, a +1 dagger (or some other weapon), maybe even a +1 armor if it's a cleric or Cloak of Resistance +1 if it's a wizard.

Definitely don't give more than one magic item of any particular type, and probably don't give out more magic items than party members. At levels 1-2, you're basically looking at "this is my FIRST magic item, YAY!"

crazywolf
2010-08-12, 07:57 AM
thanks that is helpful i had no idea but i think i should have asked what would an old fort have inside it?
its 3 floors the first being above ground the seconed is a large basment plus some carverns and the third is all underground
the first floor includeds a apothecary,a blacksmith, a barracks, and some other things again thank you but i forgot to mention the stuff they could find in the fort
oh and i was thinking they should be wizards

Loren
2010-08-12, 08:48 AM
The equipment that the monster (ex goblins, wizard) uses would often be availible to the PC's

Goblins: armour (leather), morningstars (or weapon of choice), javelins
necro: spell components, spell book (level appropriate for the character, maybe plus some the necro bought), a minor magical item.

If you have the DMG there is a chart of how much wealth the players should have at a given level. add up the resale value of items the PCs will likely sell plus the purchase price of items they will keep. Compare that value to what they are expected to have. If you are short add some more loot. If there is too much, don't worry, just don't give them as much next time or leave it by the time they hit 6th level the difference won't be significant.

As for the fort think about why it was abandoned.
-Did the garrison just up sticks and relocate? If so they probably took all their gear with them.
-Was it defeated in battle? subsequently looted? If so, again there probably won't be very much left behind, but some mundane things would be left (smith's anvail)
-how long ago was it abandoned? what climate is it in? If it is a moist climate mosses and molds will start to cover things fairly quickly. Organic material will also start to decompose quickly. Within a hundred years or so much of the organic material will be gone and many things will be tarnished (not to meantion the floors and ceilings may be unreliable as they are often made of wood in forts where they didn't use cement for floors)

Diarmuid
2010-08-12, 09:05 AM
So, I'm not trying to be a jerk but the DMG has tables and whatnot for doing exactly what you're looking to do.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/treasure.html

Goblins, are "Standard" for treasure and 1/3 CR. Let's go ahead and say you've got two separate encounters of 3 goblins each.

Each goblin should be equipped with a couple javelins and a club/morningstar/short sword unless you've got some specific type of encounter planned.

Then you could roll on the treasure table to determine how much, if any, coin/goods/items the goblins have.

You would follow the same procedure for the rest of the encounters. Of note, zombies and skeletons dont have treasure.

Edit - Seems we were typing our responses at the same time, heh.

crazywolf
2010-08-12, 09:13 AM
As for the fort think about why it was abandoned.

it was abandoned about 10-15 years ago when half of the gariison left to protect forts that were more vounreble (the country was at war at the time) they figure the others were safe because it was close to other settlements (about 3 miles) but hidden tunnels were used by goblins hired by the necromancer to clear the fort so some of the things are still there plus some things the tribe looted over the years

crazywolf
2010-08-12, 09:16 AM
I know that the dmg has the chart but i was wondering less about coins and more the magic items and mundane items that would be there. just to make myself clear

*edit* i dont know if this helps any but i planed on having goblins riding goats to attack the party (to low level to have worgs so why not goats?)

*edit* (again) i also thought of some bosses
*the goblin cheif 2-3level
+1 battle axe
chain mail

*goblin shaman 1-2 level
few potions (what kind)

*some type of tougher undead (ghoul or zombie
+1 sword
(in tomb) 50-100 gold
ring of protection +1
few mundame items

what do you think?

Diarmuid
2010-08-12, 09:26 AM
CR 1-2 there would be a small chance of there being additional mundane items outside the NPC's normal gear and even less chance of any kind of magic items.

For example:

CR 1 = 24% chance of a mundane item and 5% chance of there being a minor magic item.

CR 2 = 36% chance of a mundane item and 15% chance of there being a minor magic item.

It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to give your players a better treasure and if you want to...well heck go right ahead.

As for the fort itself...well how long has it been abandoned? Why would the previous tenants have just simply left things of value there when they abandoned it?

If there are things of value, why would the goblins/necro not have looted the place for themselves? Would others have ransacked it before necro/gobos moved in.

Just leaving treasure lying around waiting to be found seems a bit arbitrary to me. Any weapons in the armory/blacksmith would have been grabbed by the gobs or the necro for his undead. Apothecary likely would have been looted for any useful potions, or perhaps even burned down by someone playing with things they shouldnt have.

crazywolf
2010-08-12, 09:34 AM
As for the fort itself...well how long has it been abandoned? Why would the previous tenants have just simply left things of value there when they abandoned it?
If there are things of value, why would the goblins/necro not have looted the place for themselves? Would others have ransacked it before necro/gobos moved in.

:smallsigh: i think i told you that already
but anyway yes they took the stuff plus they added stuff when they moved in

Lysander
2010-08-12, 09:41 AM
If the goblins have been engaged in banditry and storing their loot in the fortress, there would be a store room of everything they stole. Maybe some jewelry, engraved weapons, artwork. Nothing amazingly valuable, but it's a way of giving some of the loot in a more interesting form.

As for the necromancer, perhaps most of his loot instead of being in gold could be in the form of polished onyx stones? Onyx is a material component for the Animate Dead spell. Maybe he carries a little pouch with a few onyx stones for later use in his spells. The party could sell them to a jeweler.

Diarmuid
2010-08-12, 09:42 AM
Ya, that happened while I was writing my post, sorry.

It seems like you are set on having there be fun magic items for your party to loot and that's fine. People have given you the advice you asked for, you're going to do what you want, enjoy.

CR2 = 15% chance of a single minor magic item. Minor magic items are collectively 70% likely to be a potion or a scroll, and collectively 9% likely to be a weapon/armor and a whopping 2% likely to be a ring.

Like others, I think you're being overly generous with your party of level 1-2 characters, but it's your game.

Edit - Unfortunately, the amount of goblins that would be capable of area-wide banditry would mop the floor with a lvl 1-2 party. Additionally, Animate Deat is Clr3 and Sor/Wiz4, any caster capable of casting those lvl of spells would again completely decimate a party of the level the OP is describing.