PDA

View Full Version : Need feats for a summoner druid (3.5/PF)

WarKitty
2010-08-12, 12:05 PM
Yeah I know I posted something similar a while back but it got off track pretty fast.

So this is a PF game with all non-setting-specific (i.e. no Eberron or Forgotten Realms) 3.5 splat allowed - SC per DM approval to prevent some brokenness. I'm building a druid based summoner, 23 starting wisdom due to using anthropomorphic bat. I've read some of the guides but the recommended feats always come from unavailable books.

What feats would you recommend for a summoner build? This is PF so wild shape is not as overpowering, although I will still take natural spell. Also feats are at every other level rather than every 3 so I have more to work with than in 3.5.

Edit: magic item suggestions are also taken.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-12, 03:11 PM
Augment Summoning for starters

WarKitty
2010-08-12, 03:22 PM
Augment Summoning for starters

Got that down already. Pathfinder gives me a lot of feats to work with though, and I'm not really sure what to do with them.

Marnath
2010-08-12, 05:19 PM
It probably depends on what you want to do while your summons play with the nice bad-guys. Do you wanna wade into the fight, or cast spells until their heads blow off?

IdleMuse
2010-08-12, 05:24 PM
Complete Mage: Cloudy Conjuration is quite nice, and the Reserve Feat Summon Elemental is amazing.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-12, 05:29 PM
PHB-II Imbued Summoning is amazing. I like using it with animalistic power.

EDIT: Beckon the Frozen (Frostburn) is good enough that I'd take it, and you'll have the prereqs anyway. I wouldn't if it didn't have an opt-on function. Icy Calling from the same book isn't worth it unless you're going to be in an arctic-only game.

Dragon 311 (also possibly DrC) has Superior Summons, which is amazing. +1 CL AND your summons come with max hp AND you can cast spells with a range of touch on them as long as you can see them? YEZPLZ.

WarKitty
2010-08-12, 05:55 PM
It probably depends on what you want to do while your summons play with the nice bad-guys. Do you wanna wade into the fight, or cast spells until their heads blow off?

Definitely caster, probably doing multiple summons per battle with a side of buffing and/or battlefield control.

What's DrC? I can't find it in any of my handy acronym lists.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-12, 05:56 PM
Definitely caster, probably doing multiple summons per battle with a side of buffing and/or battlefield control.

What's DrC? I can't find it in any of my handy acronym lists.

Generally called DMC: the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

WarKitty
2010-08-12, 05:58 PM
Generally called DMC: the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Ah thank you. Not sure if I'll get that allowed or not, DM's waffling on Dragon Magazine.

urbanpirate
2010-08-12, 07:19 PM
greenbound summoning if you can get it :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2010-08-12, 08:33 PM
greenbound summoning if you can get it :smallbiggrin:

Out of the Faerun series, and therefore not allowed. Same with ashbound.

realbombchu
2010-08-12, 10:01 PM
I just want to second the Imbued Summoning suggestion. Also, Extend Spell is worth it.

WarKitty
2010-08-13, 08:55 AM
Ok, so far we have:

Spell focus (conjuration)
Augment Summoning
Beckon the frozen
Imbued Summoning
Extend spell
Elemental Summoning (reserve)
Rapid Spell

Is Metamagic focus worth it?

Edit: Also assuming feats starting at 5th level and getting one every two levels thereafter (1st and 3rd level feats already taken up), what order should those go in? I already have Natural Spell as my 3rd level feat under a house rule that lets you delay feats/skill points by a level (PF Druids get Wild Shape at 4th).

Toliudar
2010-08-13, 09:00 AM
Rapid Spell, to give you the option of memorizing one or two summons that you can unleash right away, is not a bad option.

WarKitty
2010-08-13, 09:06 AM
Rapid Spell, to give you the option of memorizing one or two summons that you can unleash right away, is not a bad option.

Good point, could use that after Extend Spell since SNA's are usually 1 full round.

Rising Phoenix
2010-08-13, 09:22 AM
Dragon 311 (also possibly DrC) has Superior Summons, which is amazing. +1 CL AND your summons come with max hp AND you can cast spells with a range of touch on them as long as you can see them? YEZPLZ.

That's... just a little overpowered. It's page 44 of that issue btw. At first I thought it required two feats. Sure 250 gp can amount to a lot, but unlike the ring of mighty summons, does not halve the spells duration...

WarKitty
2010-08-14, 03:17 PM
That's... just a little overpowered. It's page 44 of that issue btw. At first I thought it required two feats. Sure 250 gp can amount to a lot, but unlike the ring of mighty summons, does not halve the spells duration...

Unfortunately Dragon Magazine has also been banned from the game.

PinkysBrain
2010-08-14, 04:16 PM
The PF summon list is a bit nerfed and non sensical ...

I'd recommend getting the Advanced Player's Guide and playing a Lion Shaman. For some reason the cats have been mostly left alone (bears got nerfed into oblivion though, truly pathetic).

Veklim
2011-03-15, 07:01 AM
May I also suggest Augment Elemental on pg46 of Magic of Ebberon.
It restricts the benefit to summoned elementals only, but gives similar effects to augment summoning with one small change:
Instead of the +2 str & con, it gives the summoned elemental +2hp/HD (temporary) and +2 att & dmg rolls. As such, this stacks with the benefits from augment summoning, therefore doubling the potency increase for all summoned elementals. IMHO this is a little bit cheesy, but it certainly pumps up the potential for the summoner since you have a range of elementals to choose from.
Just throwing it out there :P