PDA

View Full Version : Max Character Count in Posts & Search Issue

Drago
2010-08-12, 12:08 PM
What is the maximum character count you can have in a single post?

Also when I attempt to search for an answer using "Max character count" in the search field I got stuck on a blank screen at this url: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php?do=process however a quick search for "test" resolved properly. Then when I tried "test time" it also failed to resolve, is this a knowen issue? Does it have anything to do with using spaces in a search? If this is a browser depentant issue I'm (due to certian circumstance) running IE 6 at the moment.

Zeb The Troll
2010-08-13, 01:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the maximum character count in a post is something along the lines of 50,000 characters. I know it's long enough that all but the longest of diatribes (or the world's longest joke) fit just fine.

Temotei
2010-08-13, 02:16 AM
I'm pretty sure the maximum character count in a post is something along the lines of 50,000 characters. I know it's long enough that all but the longest of diatribes (or the world's longest joke) fit just fine.

It is 50,000.

Serpentine
2010-08-13, 06:28 AM
Yep, 50,000. Really inconvenient for the Hall of Fame :smallsigh:

Rawhide
2010-08-13, 07:06 AM
Any more and you could fry our database.

Serpentine
2010-08-13, 09:23 AM
I don't think there's many cases where it's really all that much of a constraint :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2010-08-13, 11:39 AM
I don't think there's many cases where it's really all that much of a constraint :smalltongue:

You obviously haven't read my homebrew. Brevity is not a virtue of mine. :smallredface:

Morph Bark
2010-08-13, 12:31 PM
You obviously haven't read my homebrew. Brevity is not a virtue of mine. :smallredface:

Despite the great list of homebrew you have, I doubt that relatively speaking to all posts (or even just the Homebrew section) all of those posts count as "many", Zeta Kai. :smalltongue:

Keyword being relatively, of course.

Drago
2010-08-13, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the answer everyone.

To say the least (you do good work btw, especially the maps.)

Well it can be when you are going through your finding players thread and compiling all of the setting information you gave into a massive first post for the OOC thread. More so when you are up to 10 pages in word (and about 30 000 characters) and you have only covered the religion section and part of the world section!

Zeta Kai
2010-08-13, 08:28 PM
Well it can be when you are going through your finding players thread and compiling all of the setting information you gave into a massive first post for the OOC thread. More so when you are up to 10 pages in word (and about 30 000 characters) and you have only covered the religion section and part of the world section!

In that specific case, you might wanna trim a bit, for the sake of your players & your game. That's a lot to absorb for a game, & PbP games have a high mortality rate, so people may not be willing to invest that much time reading & assimilating that much data. Perhaps you could spoiler it & add a TL;DR version below it, so that the players can get the gist of what your saying. Even if they do read your 10+ pages of religious info-dumping, the short recap would be a handy reminder afterward.

Drolyt
2010-08-23, 02:48 PM
I want to thank the OP and the replies, because I was wondering about the same thing. I'm also having the same problem with the search function. Is this a known issue, or something on my end?

Killer Angel
2010-08-24, 02:47 AM
Any more and you could fry our database.

...and even so, it's decisely enough for a massive wall of text. :smallwink:

NerfTW
2010-08-24, 12:05 PM
If you're doing a post that's 50,000 characters long, you might want to reconsider the medium you're using. There's more to the web than just message boards, and getting a web host set up is very easy. If you really need to make 50,000 character posts for your homebrew, you should really be investing in an actual web page. That's a lot of work to trust to a message board database you don't control that's already been wiped once.

Using a message board to write a book is like using Legos to build a real house. Sure, it takes dedication and work, but you'd be better off using lumber.

Rawhide
2010-08-24, 05:14 PM
that's already been wiped once.

It has? :smallconfused:

NerfTW
2010-08-25, 02:35 PM
I meant the thread purge, not the entire forum. Wasn't clear there.