PDA

View Full Version : Help Starting Mercenary Campaign [3.5ish]

Verten
2010-08-12, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm planning on running a game in The Black Company campaign setting. If you're not familiar with it, it's a hearty mix of badass normal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal) and epic spellcasters. Most wizards are very minor (though according to the setting a minor wizard is still around 10th level), with prominent wizards being quite powerful (20-30+, according to campaign setting).

Anyways, I'm trying to think of a good overarching campaign idea for a gritty mercenary campaign with a big bad spellcaster villain. The setting so far is in a city that was destroyed a while (few years) ago and rebuilt by an empire that's probably better for the nation than what the "rebels" want.

Some other important things: humans are the only race, "monsters" are fairly uncommon, and magic is less common (usually either minor or epic).

All help and ideas are appreciated. Most importantly is the ever-present question of avoiding putting them together in a bar.

Greenish
2010-08-12, 05:19 PM
PCs are hired as caravan guards. The caravan gets attacked by BBEG's lackeys. Roll initiative.

Aroka
2010-08-12, 05:46 PM
Mercenaries work for someone with money and power. Come up with various parties - local and neighboring governments, rich merchants, noble houses, etc. Give them political goals that clash with each other. Release the PCs onto the scene and offer them jobs. Let them choose who they'll work for (but remember that they will be known for their actions and choices, and they won't be popular with everyone - or maybe anyone). Eventually, have them come into indirect, then direct conflict with the goals and forces of the BBEG.

Verten
2010-08-12, 07:38 PM
Awesome. I was thinking something along the lines of having just some upset nobles and the empire, but of course those nobles would all be at each other's throats too.. hehe. And there's definitely going to be certain jobs where they could end up on either side depending who they work for. Thanks for the input.